The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

I'm 14 years old. Any advice?

BjorniKD

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
170%
Aug 8, 2023
Albania
I'm a 14 year old, who has just recently finished reading The Millionaire Fastlane .
This forum is full of intelligent people, and I was hoping that their wisdom would be shared to me.
My hobbies are lifting, reading, meditating, going on walks etc..

How could I start making money online? I've tried some things like freelancing but I'm not sure what I can offer.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Kokaka

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
228%
Aug 9, 2019
I'm a 14 year old, who has just recently finished reading The Millionaire Fastlane .
This forum is full of intelligent people, and I was hoping that their wisdom would be shared to me.

How could I start making money online? I've tried some things like freelancing but I'm not sure what I can offer.
Welcome aboard.
If I had the oppurtunity to give advice to my 14 year old self, it woud be this:
1. Excercice, read books and the news, both national and international, meditate and take care of your physical and mental health
2. Focus on learning math and english and if possible, chemistry, biology and physics (will help you break ENTRY) since you are probably still in school. No you wont use pythagoras theorem or calculate the area of a sphere in real life but it will prime your mind like crazy for math that matter. Like mental aritmic, business math etc. It has helped me ALOT. Languages will open doors like you wont believe.
3. Learn how to dress and get a skin routine. Increase dopamine and together with taking care of your health will give you a confidence boost which will last throughtout your life.
4. Look for oportunities everywhere
5. Try to get some sidehustle where if need be, you work for free or invite for lunch/ cofee a a successfull businessman/entrepreneur. You will get 20+ years of knowledge for free in a matter of hours.
6. Find something people are willing to buy. Then sell it.

Last edited:

BjorniKD

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
170%
Aug 8, 2023
Albania
Welcome aboard.
If I had the oppurtunity to give advice to my 14 year old self, it woud be this:
1. Excercice, read books and the news, both national and international, meditate and take care of your physical and mental health
2. Focus on learning math and english and if possible, chemistry, biology and physics (will help you break ENTRY) since you are probably still in school. No you wont use pythagoras theorem or calculate the area of a sphere in real life but it will prime your mind like crazy for math that matter. Like mental aritmic, business math etc. It has helped me ALOT. Languages will open doors like you wont believe.
3. Learn how to dress and get a skin routine. Increase dopamine and together with taking care of your health will give you a confidence boost which will last throughtout your life.
4. Look for oportunities everywhere
5. Try to get some sidehustle where if need be, you work for free or invite for lunch/ cofee a a successfull businessman/entrepreneur. You will get 20+ years of knowledge for free in a matter of hours.
6. Find something people are willing to buy. Then sell it.
Thank you for your response.

Here is what I currently do:

1. I exercise 6 days a week, and go on long walks during my rest days. I don't think the news are that important, all they do is worry and give me anxiety about things happening in the world. I meditate, I have quit video games since march, I have lowered my screen time, I have quit all social media, I only use YouTube to watch educational videos which I can learn from.
2. I get OK grades in Math, English I have mastered, this year I will take your advice and study hard to get good grades on physics, chemistry, and biology.
3. I wear gym clothes everywhere, I am currently reading a book about how to dress more masculine (The Appearance Of Power), I have a basic skin care routine which I do everyday.
4. I have adopted this mindset which MJ DeMarco talked about in his book, to see flaws in other businesses which you can use to your advantage, or looking for opportunities.
5. I might get a side job as a waiter, or a gym receptionist. There aren't really any successful businessmen or entrepreneurs in my country. My dad is a business owner, so I will take advice from him.
6. Related to #4, this is a good idea.

Again, thank you so much for your response.

Do you know anything I can change for the better?

Kokaka

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
228%
Aug 9, 2019
Thank you for your response.

Here is what I currently do:

1. I exercise 6 days a week, and go on long walks during my rest days. I don't think the news are that important, all they do is worry and give me anxiety about things happening in the world. I meditate, I have quit video games since march, I have lowered my screen time, I have quit all social media, I only use YouTube to watch educational videos which I can learn from.
2. I get OK grades in Math, English I have mastered, this year I will take your advice and study hard to get good grades on physics, chemistry, and biology.
3. I wear gym clothes everywhere, I am currently reading a book about how to dress more masculine (The Appearance Of Power), I have a basic skin care routine which I do everyday.
4. I have adopted this mindset which MJ DeMarco talked about in his book, to see flaws in other businesses which you can use to your advantage, or looking for opportunities.
5. I might get a side job as a waiter, or a gym receptionist. There aren't really any successful businessmen or entrepreneurs in my country. My dad is a business owner, so I will take advice from him.
6. Related to #4, this is a good idea.

Again, thank you so much for your response.

Do you know anything I can change for the better?
1. World news is important. It gives you a framework on how the world works. I used to read 3 newspapers every morning for years. Helped a ton in just seeing how the world works. However if all it gives you is anxeity. Maybie skip it.

2. You dont "need" chemistry, bilogy and physics. All it does it give you tools to build a business upon. Better to have it than not if you are still in school. Like Im in med-tech. All the above has helped. However if I were to loose everything. I would probabky switch to Ice Cream (yes, there is a ton of money and oppurtinity in ice cream). However. It opend the doors initialy.
Great with the english. Kerp ut up. I would say its the number 1 skill to master in school related to business.
Good luck with the study. Just try try to find real life applications for it.

3. Alot of good clothing videos on youtube you could chek out. People underestimate the effect that happen if you feel you look good.

4. Its a good way to start. Just try to put into practice.
It can be as simple as this:
Like hen I was your age, I identified there was no school cafeteria. I biked to an outlet 10km to buy snacks every weekend. I put it in a breifcase and sold during recess. In a few month. I bought a moped.
Things simple as that. It will ripple and help build a business mindset.

5. I would recommend first reading "Rich dad, Poor dad" by Robert Kyozaki. If i where to give a 14 year old self advice. It would either be to get a sales job. Or better still,not get a job at all and help out someone who is successfull. Like inatead of waitering. Ask the owner of the resturant to help him for free with daily chores. Be it pick up mail, deliver something, clean the office etc. Im aure you can find one. Alot of successfuln people love to teach the next generation.
You want to create value for yourself. Value vefore money. That will come.

6. You are young. Develop yourself and try new things. However just dont forget to also have fun and enjoy life

MakeItHappen

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
195%
Apr 12, 2012
I've tried some things like freelancing but I'm not sure what I can offer.
Are there any skills that are in demand that you are interested in cultivating? Maybe Video Editing, Coding, etc.
If so can really good at it and you will have something to offer.

Any reason you want to make money online vs. offline? You could also start something that doesn't demand to first build skills (like coding). How about an offline service like mowing lawns? You have two advantages going on for you:
1. As you are so young you don't have to pay your own rent etc. so you have pretty much no fixed costs so you can compete on price (at the beginning) and still make really good money for a 14 year old
2. As you are still so young a lot of potential customers might hire you to reward the hustle

One thing I would say.... you are still so young you should make sure you enjoy your youth. Make sure you choose a business/hustle that is at least somewhat enjoyable to you.

MoneyBags!

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
333%
Sep 4, 2023

Hey BjorniKD,

I would start off with something along your hobbies. For example, I've always loved being active and getting people to move so 6 years ago, I became a personal trainer and have now started my online business. You don't have to be certified to train people, although it's preferred by many. You can start with people you know and then have them post reviews. Since you don't have any experience, you could offer a client to work with you for free. But do your part and research the hell out of this stuff. Then as you increase your number of satisfied customers, you start charging more and more. You could target a specific group as well if you want to. That's what I recommend because you wanna be the GO-To person for that thing. Then after gaining experience in the real-world and helping dozens of people in a general area or a specified need like fat loss, you could create an online do-it-yourself course or one with support. You create it once and profit onwards, with some maintenance work. That's just an example based on your first hobby, but this kind of approach can be applied to any business idea you'd have, whether selling T-shirts or offering a service. You offer it for free and you gain 1 happy customer. Then charge a little more and gain more happy customers. If it's 1 product, I would gain more satisfied customers and then start charging - say it's a deodorant or a new workout product. Then eventually you build a system where the selling and messaging is automatic (I use ConvertKit.com for all this). Good luck kid, and wow, kudos to you for taking control of your life at such a young age.

WJK

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
257%
Oct 9, 2017
Alaska

What can you do where you are? Are there special T-shirts that you can design and sell to your friends? Is there anything else that would be specific to your circle of friends? Can you start a trend? What can you do to be the "go-to" person where you are? It doesn't need to be a home-run business idea -- and it can be short-term.

When I was your age, I cleaned houses, mowed lawns, babysat, sold flowers on the highway in the spring, mucked horse stalls, watered the neighbor's flowers and house plants, babysat dogs while people were on vacation, pulled weeds, etc., etc., etc... And I saved my money so I could other things later... What did I learn? How to work. How to negotiate. How to ascertain what people want. How to survive no matter what.

Roli

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
161%
Jun 3, 2015

I like the advice you have been given so far, apart from watching the news. You really don't need to do that, it's just a way of depressing yourself by stealth.

My advice would be to develop your interests, find out what that thing is, which you can lose yourself in for hours and hours and not even notice. Maybe it's computer programming, maybe it's painting pictures, maybe it's solving maths problems. Whatever it is, do it over and over, this way, by the time you're old enough to leave school and incorporate a business, you'll be more than ready.

As for making money now, look at what your friends are spending money on and get into that. My 12 year old daughter buys and sells stuff on the second-hand clothes site, Vinted. She makes a bit of pocket money, gets rid of clothes she no longer needs, and is learning about selling.

Johnny boy

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
635%
May 9, 2017
Washington State
Your largest focus should be avoiding traps.

Traps of the mind, to make you a powerless, gutless, dependent sissy.

The people around you are shaping your mind and forming belief systems inside of you, without you even realizing it.

And they are 99% effective at turning you into what they are....average.

A young man develops a sliver of a fighting chance when he opens his eyes, looks around and realizes it is very likely that none of the people in your life have anything to tell you worth listening to. Not your mommy and daddy. Not your teachers. Not your friends. Basically no one.

You must learn to trust your own mind, your own eyes, and to learn from those who have succeeded at what you want to do.

You must learn to stop apologizing, to become a man, to speak clearly and affirmatively, to develop your mind, body and soul into something carved out of rock.

You make money online through numbers.

You will make an income through enough people seeing something you offer.

You need to find them or they need to find you.

All money is taken from a person. Someone has to find you, be convinced you will help them, and then you take the money.

Being a freelancer means you make a profile and go hide it down at the bottom of a long list of other commoditized freelancers who will do anything and everything in the world for $7. Terrible idea.

It's a terrible idea not because you can't make a lot of money doing things for businesses that a freelancer could do, it's a terrible idea because of how you market it, by commoditizing yourself and blending in with the broke sheep doing the same thing.

Go hunt them yourself. Solve a problem, find a way to get tons of people to hear your offer, profit.

Freelancers are broke because they go onto a site, never get any customers, and it sucks.

Some make a lot of money because they don't sit around and wait, they use creativity to go out and hunt for customers themselves.

artz

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
336%
Oct 24, 2022
1. Stop wasting time on social media and games; they are destroying your brain and causing you to waste precious time.

2. Don't be a coward who's afraid of making mistakes. Mistakes are normal and something you should expect in the game of entrepreneurship; you will make mistakes 90% of the time.

3. To launch a successful business, you will have to give up a lot. You'll see your friends having fun every day while you work on a business that isn't making you a single cent.

4. Approach life as if it were a game. I personally treat my life like a game. For example, when I go to the gym, I think of it as improving my strength attributes, and when I work on my business, I consider it the main quest.

5. Keep putting effort into school; it's important. You need to learn the basics,, and honestly, you should also pursue a college education. Having a diploma has many advantages.

Black_Dragon43

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
333%
Apr 28, 2017
‍☠️ Eastern Europe
Freelancers are broke because they go onto a site, never get any customers, and it sucks.

Some make a lot of money because they don't sit around and wait, they use creativity to go out and hunt for customers themselves.
I don’t think this is true. If I were to go back to freelancing, I’d always go “on a site” — on Upwork. I wouldn’t hunt for customers myself, though maybe I would consider in parallel building an audience on Twitter or LinkedIn.

On Upwork, I have no competition. People can see I’m a big hitter with tons of experience, in a sea of brokies who want to make $100. I am in top 1%, with a special badge on Upwork, with access to Fortune 500 companies.

And that’s the place I recommend for any newbie. If you are actually GOOD at the service you offer, you will have no competition in time. And your first priority anyway should be to get GOOD at your service, not to make as many sales as possible.

I’d work for little and severely underbid on large projects. A sales funnel that should cost $5,000 I’ll do for $500. I’d tell them I know it’s actually worth $5,000, but I’ll give them a great deal and do it for $500 just because I’m new on Upwork. One large project is enough to build a reputation for yourself. Pile up the testimonials and reviews.

I’d build relationships with clients who would always come back to me for that specific need. Honor and respect the customers. I’d keep up with them, send them birthday cards, etc.

You’ll make a TON more money by investing 100% into a platform as a freelancer than you’ll ever make as a lonewolf. All the lonewolf freelancers I know have failed in the end. A platform is a lead gen machine for yourself. They’ve invested YEARS to build that machine… you’re miscalculating if you think you can compete with that.

BjorniKD

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
170%
Aug 8, 2023
Albania
Are there any skills that are in demand that you are interested in cultivating? Maybe Video Editing, Coding, etc.
If so can really good at it and you will have something to offer.

Any reason you want to make money online vs. offline? You could also start something that doesn't demand to first build skills (like coding). How about an offline service like mowing lawns? You have two advantages going on for you:
1. As you are so young you don't have to pay your own rent etc. so you have pretty much no fixed costs so you can compete on price (at the beginning) and still make really good money for a 14 year old
2. As you are still so young a lot of potential customers might hire you to reward the hustle

One thing I would say.... you are still so young you should make sure you enjoy your youth. Make sure you choose a business/hustle that is at least somewhat enjoyable to you.
Hey man, responding after a month of freelancing.

I have made my first 3 sales on video editing. I am working on the business and just trying to improve it by 1% every day. I've beat a lot of competition already. I know it's not much. Just trying to follow the compound effect.
1703337353137.png
This was all thanks to you guys. Thank you all so much!

Attachments

• 1703337344306.png
    1703337344306.png
    79.7 KB · Views: 8
Last edited:

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
369%
May 20, 2014
Ireland

I have made my first 3 sales on video editing. I am working on the business and just trying to improve it by 1% every day. I've beat a lot of competition already. I know it's not much. Just trying to follow the compound effect.
View attachment 53108
Well done earning your first sales and revenue.

How can you increase your earnings?

Kevin88660

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
117%
Feb 8, 2019
Southeast Asia

One good skill to have is to be good in math.

One business idea to have is to teach other kids math online.

BjorniKD

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
170%
Aug 8, 2023
Albania
Well done earning your first sales and revenue.

How can you increase your earnings?
Just improving my skill is what I'm thinking. Improving small things that are important but overlooked by others too. What's your advice? Also, just got my 4th order right now. Currently working on it.

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
369%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
Just improving my skill is what I'm thinking. Improving small things that are important but overlooked by others too. What's your advice? Also, just got my 4th order right now. Currently working on it.
How can you earn more per job?

Eliassilva

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
50%
Jan 3, 2024
Ex

expand your knowledge if you don’t know all the possible things you can do then you will only be able to do so much. I suggest reading and watching others and try to build ideas of that if you don’t know that there a place for selling dogs online then you won’t know to do it that’s a example but I’m sure you get the point. Good luck on ya project

Rarehelge

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
82%
Sep 19, 2023
Norway

View attachment 53108
Congrats on your first sales! What app/website do you sell on? How did you stand out from your competition?

BjorniKD

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
170%
Aug 8, 2023
Albania
Congrats on your first sales! What app/website do you sell on? How did you stand out from your competition?
On fiverr.
To stand out, I had went the extra mile to fix the little things that others don't care about. Grammar, writing etc.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.

More Intros...