The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

iPhone invention - what do you think?

wade1mil

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
246%
Jun 29, 2011
I've come up with an idea that is simple, yet unique. While I don't want to say exactly what it is, I can generalize by disclosing that it's an accessory for an iPhone, and other cellphones as well. I've done some research on this concept and haven't found anything like it. I'm going to start building the prototype today, and I hope to have the first version finished by the end of the week. There are a couple of things that I have seen as potential roadblocks, and would like your input.

Apple seems to upgrade their mobile products (iPhone, iPad, iPod) every year or so. A patent takes anywhere from 1-3 years to issue and costs a decent chunk of change. By the time a patent went through, it would make the invention less relevant. Would you forgo the patent process in a fast-paced industry like this?

The market for Apple accessories is extremely competitive. I have invented one product, not a business. Would it make more sense to license this idea out to a big player that already has the marketing in place to saturate the market?

If I were to license or manufacture it, how polished should the prototype be before pitching it to a company? And what form of protection should I utilize to protect my idea?

Are there any other questions I should be asking myself that you can think of? I would appreciate your feedback.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Rickson9

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
101%
Sep 4, 2010
Canada
Are you talking about a provisional patent or something else? I wouldn't pay for anything other than a provisional unless I had a customer and a huge order in my hand.

D

DeletedUser2

I would file a provisional. Our last one cost 1500 and took a couple weeks for the attys file. We then went to the largest player in the space and started talking to them about a joint venture, or a license deal. Total time in 2 months. They already had the traffic and customers. So distribution would be quick.

They did a quick market survey with a huge list (2m +). And determined that it was not a good product for them. So they didn't license it. We also learned fast that it was too niche a product to go big with it so we killed it.

77startup

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
9%
Aug 4, 2011
Chicago
If it isn't an evergreen product, and it's quite simple why not just "trademark" the name of the original product and start selling it? Be a brand not a product, that way when the new iphone 8 comes out your brand can build a brand new device and start selling it again.

wade1mil

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
246%
Jun 29, 2011
Are you talking about a provisional patent or something else? I wouldn't pay for anything other than a provisional unless I had a customer and a huge order in my hand.

I was referring to a non-provisional patent, but a provisional patent makes more sense because that would basically buy me a year to test the market and sign a deal. Great idea, thank you!

I would file a provisional. Our last one cost 1500 and took a couple weeks for the attys file. We then went to the largest player in the space and started talking to them about a joint venture, or a license deal. Total time in 2 months. They already had the traffic and customers. So distribution would be quick.

They did a quick market survey with a huge list (2m +). And determined that it was not a good product for them. So they didn't license it. We also learned fast that it was too niche a product to go big with it so we killed it.

Did the $1,500 include the filing fees? That seems cheap! Would you say it's important to do a thorough provisional patent application, or just to do it ASAP in order to begin negotiating? What number is too niche to go big? I appreciate it!

If it isn't an evergreen product, and it's quite simple why not just "trademark" the name of the original product and start selling it? Be a brand not a product, that way when the new iphone 8 comes out your brand can build a brand new device and start selling it again.

This is what I was thinking prior to the advice of filing a provisional patent. I would need to hit the market hard and fast in order to solidify my brand as the first to the market. Manufacturing and distribution would be key, which isn't something that I have setup at this point. I can't think of a way to do this without committing a ton of money to inventory, can you?

D

DeletedUser2

Did the $1,500 include the filing fees? That seems cheap! Would you say it's important to do a thorough provisional patent application, or just to do it ASAP in order to begin negotiating? What number is too niche to go big? I appreciate it!

I think it was 1500 all in, including the atty fees. but I dont remember exactly. I just remember the 1500 price tag to get the provisional patent. it was only so we could talk to the big guys, and say, we have a provisional on this...
since we were looking for a license deal, it was the customer who determined if it was to niche for them.

biophase

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
474%
Jul 25, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ
I saw this on American Chopper earlier this week.

http://thecellbuckle.com/

So simple. It's hard for me to believe that they make enough to be able to get a bike built by Senior as a promotional tool.

Oh, the point of my post is that some inventions are so simple, some aren't really even inventions and can you even patent something like the cell buckle? Seems like anyone could make a copy of it and slightly modify it.

77startup

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
9%
Aug 4, 2011
Chicago
Actually I can, behold my secret weapon of domination. Get customers with the best landing pages and newsletters you can make yourself! | KickoffLabs - Customer Rewards Link

You can create a cool video, or have a cool set of high res photos of your product and throw up a landing page. Then you just promote the landing page like crazy and fill orders as you can afford too. If you have much more orders then supply you can create a iphone type craze and get tons of sales.

wade1mil

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
246%
Jun 29, 2011
I think it was 1500 all in, including the atty fees. but I dont remember exactly. I just remember the 1500 price tag to get the provisional patent. it was only so we could talk to the big guys, and say, we have a provisional on this...
since we were looking for a license deal, it was the customer who determined if it was to niche for them.

Awesome thanks!

I saw this on American Chopper earlier this week.

http://thecellbuckle.com/

So simple. It's hard for me to believe that they make enough to be able to get a bike built by Senior as a promotional tool.

Oh, the point of my post is that some inventions are so simple, some aren't really even inventions and can you even patent something like the cell buckle? Seems like anyone could make a copy of it and slightly modify it.

Doesn't he charge over $100k for his bikes? And why don't they have a picture of that bike on their website? I'd use that to market like CRAZY!

The simplicity of my idea definitely falls into this category. If I pitched this idea to a company and they loved it, I highly doubt they would finish the patent application for that reason. Would a provisional patent application even do any good here? Attorney time...

By the way, when I read the link, I immediately thought of some sort of outfit for your phone similar to those 3 pound dogs that people carry around in their purse.

atownag

PARKED
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
Dec 7, 2011
Austin, TX
If you're worried about it not being patentable because it's too simplistic, don't worry.

OHARENKO - Google Patents
It's a freakin litter box you put under a seat.

Pacifier - Google Patents
It's a funny teeth pacifier for babies.

There are a lot of patents that cover the very small, simple inventions. Some may seem ridiculous, but they all get the same protection under US law.

Kung Fu Steve

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
284%
Jul 8, 2008
Road Warrior
Two ways it will turn out:

1. You don't get a patent, you sell a ton and then you become the brand people are
looking for and become successful.

People will say "see that's how you do it!"

2. You don't get a patent, you sell a couple and then someone takes the idea and
executes it better and you fail.

People will say "see, that's why he should have got a patent!"

(regardless both of those people are sitting on the couch doing nothing :smxB:)

If you have the cash for a provisional patent I'd go for it. You may even be able to find a cheap attorney who would do it just as good if not better. <- This is advice is from someone who has never done it so take it with a grain of salt... or sand... or ... grain...

But I do think you'll be quickly outdated if you don't get a move on!

CommonCents

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
69%
Apr 14, 2009
MN
I just got a quote of 1500-2000 for a patent search and a provisional patent from an attorney that has been doing it 25 yrs. He sounded a little negotiable as well. The process can take as little as a few days. You might file multiple patents to make a patent wall around your product.

As far as licensing you could ask the company to pay your patent costs upfront plus royalty if they are interested in licensing

Likwid24

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
295%
Mar 26, 2011
Staten Island, NY
You should definitely file for the provisional whether you decide the license or manufacture it yourself. It's very inexpensive and can be done yourself. i paid an engineer $150 for drawings then filed a provisional myself through legal zoom for less than $300. When I showed my provisional to a buddy who's a patent lawyer, he said it looked absolutely fine and was more than good enough for the provisional. You can save yourself over $1k by doing this.

Read Stephen Key's book "One Simple Idea". He will tell you about the ease of doing the provisional yourself and it will help you decide if licensing or manufacturing is right for you. He also tells you a lot about prototypes.

i suggest that if you don't get into manufacturing it yourself unless you have some money to back it up. If you do have to money then manufacturing is much more rewarding than licensing IMO.

Good Luck! Just make sure that you follow through with it!

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.