The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Kinetic Execution OR Market Analysis?

Idea threads

darkcyrus101

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
125%
Oct 31, 2022
Kuala Lumpur
Which is actually better? I know Unscripted advocates for Kinetic Execution and testing the market immediately(as cheaply as possible.) But i've seen some conflicting information online.

Kinetic Execution seems like a bottom up approach, where not much indepth research and analysis is done, besides the CENTS evaluation. What if the idea we went for is not going to be able to be profitable, after we have started?

What do you guys think of a top down approach with an end goal vision for the business in mind, for example with financial forecasting, and identifying competitors? Isn't it much better to do that? To analyse competitors and their weaknesses, so we know where to attack and position

Sun Tzu once said, "Victorious armies first seek victory and then fight. Defeated armies first fight and then seek to win." So i'm quite confused.

I'm asking because i'm deciding on a new business idea to pursueand trying to choose between multiple ideas.

What do you guys think?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Maxkaz

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
202%
Jul 19, 2023
Israel
Which is actually better? I know Unscripted advocates for Kinetic Execution and testing the market immediately(as cheaply as possible.) But i've seen some conflicting information online.

Kinetic Execution seems like a bottom up approach, where not much indepth research and analysis is done, besides the CENTS evaluation. What if the idea we went for is not going to be able to be profitable, after we have started?

What do you guys think of a top down approach with an end goal vision for the business in mind, for example with financial forecasting, and identifying competitors? Isn't it much better to do that? To analyse competitors and their weaknesses, so we know where to attack and position

Sun Tzu once said, "Victorious armies first seek victory and then fight. Defeated armies first fight and then seek to win." So i'm quite confused.

I'm asking because i'm deciding on a new business idea to pursueand trying to choose between multiple ideas.

What do you guys think?
I suggest you try "The right it" book by Alberto Savoia. It is short, but right on point of your question. If I would want to summarize it shortly, here it is: any data obtained without "skin in the game" (money, time, inconvenience) put into obtaining that data BY UNBIASED CUSTOMER is crap. All the marketing analysis might show green light but when it is time to open wallets, they may remain closed. Alberto gives there a handful of cheap techniques on how to make your customer suffer put skin in your game before you have a product

darkcyrus101

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
125%
Oct 31, 2022
Kuala Lumpur
I suggest you try "The right it" book by Alberto Savoia. It is short, but right on point of your question. If I would want to summarize it shortly, here it is: any data obtained without "skin in the game" (money, time, inconvenience) put into obtaining that data BY UNBIASED CUSTOMER is crap. All the marketing analysis might show green light but when it is time to open wallets, they may remain closed. Alberto gives there a handful of cheap techniques on how to make your customer suffer put skin in your game before you have a product
I agree with this and understand. But what about having a long term plan? Because i'm afraid without a plan to get to 1million, we won't ever get there.

Maxkaz

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
202%
Jul 19, 2023
Israel
I agree with this and understand. But what about having a long term plan? Because i'm afraid without a plan to get to 1million, we won't ever get there.
I am 4 months into serious staff and my plans have shuttered like 6-7 times already, and some of them in the good way. My venture now is COMPLETELY unrecognizable from what was 4 months ago and what was planned back then. So as they say, plans are useless, planning is nessesary. Do a plan, but get ready to roll with the punches.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

darkcyrus101

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
125%
Oct 31, 2022
Kuala Lumpur
I am 4 months into serious staff and my plans have shuttered like 6-7 times already, and some of them in the good way. My venture now is COMPLETELY unrecognizable from what was 4 months ago and what was planned back then. So as they say, plans are useless, planning is nessesary. Do a plan, but get ready to roll with the punches.
Got it. Just worried, becuase alot of small business and medium businesses, they do whatever without a plan. So they are stuck in perpetual time trade, business but it's just another job, unable to scale to be a millionaire.

Just don't want to make that mistake like them, and stay stuck in the rat race.

Kevin88660

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
117%
Feb 8, 2019
Southeast Asia

What do you guys think?
Both approaches are valid.

MJ prefers to think from a bottom-up approach, problem solving approach.

Others prefers to do from a top-down approach. They look like Total market size, industry growth trends, and Degree of overlap in their own resources and skillsets with the industry, first.

Once they identified a sector, they look up either unsolved problem in the sector, or simply better ways of doing things.

The whole idea of top down approach is not so much about competitor analysis. It is about not wasting time dating someone that you never intend to marry, or buying a house in a neighborhood you hate.

You cannot be in the F&B business if you cannot wake up earlier than 4am, for whatever reason, even if you have a secret family recipe.

You cannot be broke and wanting to be a real estate developer. Or you don’t like to get involved with significant financial risk.

You cannot open a childcare centre and then complain why are people not having babies while your friend who is selling custom made coffin is laugh his way to the bank.

If you worry that your idea “is not going to profit” the truth is no one knows until you try to grab some sales.

If you have zero sales you are surely unprofitable, if you have sales you might be profitable over the long term.

At the initial testing stage you are testing if your idea is a totally bad idea or there is room for further development.

Last edited:

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.