The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Make Money with building Websites: The ultimate Way

D

Deleted67963

Does anyone have an advice on how to find the people who need a website?

A friend of mine did something like this and failed miserably.

I know the following is completely bound to time but

If it's him doing the website I recommend to sell his skills rather than a project, because selling projects is a pain in the a$$, you have to deal with so much stuff you can't control at all and the client has always something to say at the end..

What I do for the moment is looking for a company that hire a dev (frontend, backend, fullstack etc..) and tell them I want to work with them BUT as a freelance, so we make a contract like 6months fulltime with 2month notice, at x€ / day (a day == 7h), so you are doing the exact same thing as an employee but you are free to get other clients or move at the end of the contract, plus you can make up to 3 or 4x of what you could earn as en employee.

The other thing he can try is to sell the time of other devs if he does not have the skills.

My point is, I worked 4years in web agencies (around the world) and it was a real pain to look for clients, selling websites, you have to make a very specific contract with all the features, responsive or not, on which browser etc...

Selling your skills is easy as a pie and you get paid for what you did at the end of the month, not 2month after the project because the client thinks it's not done or because you have poorly evaluate the time needed to achieve it

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

wisam

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
100%
Apr 20, 2019
As a software engineer, most of us grow up with this kind of one sided mentality about ROI. We always push for the technical mastery; we want to use the fanciest framework, use shiny things like GraphQL and other buzzy technologies, but at the end, the people who know how to sell get the most money, at least in my experience. It's hard to swap the chip from being overly technical to be a good seller.

I was reading this out to my mentor and we both had a good laugh . People spend a fortune and burn years at college to earn degrees just to make some basic living only to see the sales guy with no degree taking home the big dough .

Consolation

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
181%
Sep 6, 2017
Malaysia
What if you don't live in west? Do you have a blueprint for those of us far from the civilization? There is always the trust issue.

I have no problem finding local businesses but it's peanuts and not worth working on really.
But a web design company do exists outside of the western world. If you 'sell websites that sells' to these web design company that should clear the problem:
"Sell websites that sell" is my personal approach.

Regarding the trust issue, you're running a B2B, not a B2C. Present them all the numbers, figures, that should convince them.

But, again. The website must sells.

hydemx

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
211%
Jul 20, 2018
How long should it take to make a decent, basic website?

It depends what basic and decent means to you. If you have a clear idea of what you need and is a static website you can grab a template and get the site up and running in matter of hours. The more experience you have the less time it’ll take of course.

The Abundant Man

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
150%
Jul 3, 2018
Have you done this yourself? Can you describe how you've been able to execute this? I'm genuinely interested.
Step 1
It depends what basic and decent means to you. If you have a clear idea of what you need and is a static website you can grab a template and get the site up and running in matter of hours. The more experience you have the less time it’ll take of course.
How does hosting work after creating an html website?

ZeroTo100

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
179%
Feb 2, 2016
New York City / New Jersey
I’ve done this before and actually am working on one that will be done within the next week or so.

I can probably build around 1 Amazon/affiliate site a week with around 25,000 - 30,000 words as well as include some highly authoritative backlinks (non PBN) and sell them for $2200 bucks each.

PM me if you’d like one :).

cwalto12

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
194%
Feb 21, 2018
Louisville
As mentioned above, I target businesses that already have a website. They don't need to be sold on the general idea of a website, only the idea of a new one.

Fear generally works well for any kind of selling and google provides good tools for striking it into their hearts. Most older websites fail horribly on Page Speed and Mobile Friendliness:
PageSpeed Insights
https://search.google.com/test/mobile-friendly

Reports full of red colours are quite effective. You can also tell them how google punishes mobile-unfriendly sites, how slow load times loose business, etc.

Ca$hvertising is a good read on learning to sell:
Ca$hvertising: How to Use More Than 100 Secrets of Ad-Agency Psychology to Make BIG MONEY Selling Anything to Anyone by Drew Eric Whitman
How do you transfer the website domain and stuff?

MakeItHappen

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
195%
Apr 12, 2012
Thanks @Patrick Jones
How would you imagine a partnership to work?
I am not sure.

Maybe finding a designer that is interested in starting a business with you (likely after you have sold him some leads so that he knows you gab sell).

He could take care of the design work and ultimatively outsourcing/hiring more good designers.

You would grow and scale the customer acquisition, hiring sales people etc.

Both of you profit from the growing value of the equity of the business.

Atleast this could become fastlane instead of just getting a commission?

SkyLake

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
134%
Nov 29, 2016
1. Find and partner with a reputable web agency in your area.
2. Write up contracts so nobody gets scammed.
3. Ask them how much is their average sale. Let's say they say 5k.
4. Double that price. You find businesses that need a website, you sell each one for 10k.
5. Get paid 50% upfront from the client. You then pay 50% of that to the agency so they begin the work.
6. When the work is done (Which you won't have to do any of it, this is what the agency specializes in, let them deal with all the back and forth and designs and colors and whatever) you collect the remaining 50% from the client and do 50/50 with the agency again.
7. Win-win for all parties.

This will require hustle and good sales knowledge. Won't be easy and simple at first. You will probably have to keep trying until you find an agency that is a good fit. The transition between you the seller and the agency that the client goes through should be simple, professional, smooth and efficient.

But is doable. You have to take care of all the details at first, then you can create a system that makes you 100k profit a year (or more if you want it and can hustle).

8. Now use that money to go Fastlane. Or simply live comfortably on your 100k profit a year business.

There are many ways you can use to make this work. Agency, freelancers, your own in-house development team.
You will need to spend some time learning the basics of the technologies used, but nowhere near close professional skills.

If you are a good coder, and learn enough sales, then you've hit the jackpot. You can do anything you want. You're a goldmine waiting to be used.

Last edited:

Over

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
63%
Aug 19, 2018
I know it is a basic question, but I am not familiar with this stuff. Out of curiosity - let's say I have found a web developer from poor country. He is ready to do a site for me. Then I've found a local compay with bad and old site. I talked with them and they agreed to change their website. Do I need some accesses to their webpage to modify it? Or do I need to ask my developer to create it from the scratch? And If yes, then what about a domain name? Can someone please explain me this part of process? Thanks.

Over

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
63%
Aug 19, 2018
You forward the lead to the developer and collect your commission.

Technical stuff you do not want to concern yourself with.
Can you tell something more about the profits and earnings? How much usually those programmers from countries like Vietnam/Romonia takes per one website and how much profit do you get per the whole transaction? I know it depends on the client, but just typical price spread.

dkostadinov01

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
144%
May 31, 2019
Does anyone have an advice on how to find the people who need a website?

A friend of mine did something like this and failed miserably.

Last edited:

dkostadinov01

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
144%
May 31, 2019
I know the following is completely bound to time but

If it's him doing the website I recommend to sell his skills rather than a project, because selling projects is a pain in the a$$, you have to deal with so much stuff you can't control at all and the client has always something to say at the end..

What I do for the moment is looking for a company that hire a dev (frontend, backend, fullstack etc..) and tell them I want to work with them BUT as a freelance, so we make a contract like 6months fulltime with 2month notice, at x€ / day (a day == 7h), so you are doing the exact same thing as an employee but you are free to get other clients or move at the end of the contract, plus you can make up to 3 or 4x of what you could earn as en employee.

The other thing he can try is to sell the time of other devs if he does not have the skills.

My point is, I worked 4years in web agencies (around the world) and it was a real pain to look for clients, selling websites, you have to make a very specific contract with all the features, responsive or not, on which browser etc...

Selling your skills is easy as a pie and you get paid for what you did at the end of the month, not 2month after the project because the client thinks it's not done or because you have poorly evaluate the time needed to achieve it

Thanks for the heads up and stopping me before wasting months on this subject. :D

As a Computer Scientist student I'll go and work myself for now until I gather enough decent money to start my original business idea.

AppMan

Bronze Contributor
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
69%
May 25, 2019
So is the process:

1. Offer businesses their own website
2. Look for affordable website developers
3. Provide website to the business
What do you mean by point 1, , do you mean redesign their website then show it to them to buy it? What if they refuse?

dkostadinov01

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
144%
May 31, 2019
What do you mean by point 1, , do you mean redesign their website then show it to them to buy it? What if they refuse?
You can refuse to pay the freelancer If he doesnt get the job done. However this is very dirty business...

AppMan

Bronze Contributor
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
69%
May 25, 2019
You can refuse to pay the freelancer If he doesnt get the job done. However this is very dirty business...
I dont think this is sustainable unless designing the website cost you no money such as if you are designer by yourself. however it will cost you time , especially you are doing something to WOW the buyer

mtnman

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
28%
Oct 3, 2007
Didn't read the whole thread, but this is still valid in 2019. The mistake web designers make (myself included), is not parlaying the immediate capital you get from client projects, into developing assets for yourself alongside the whole time. Otherwise, you'll be chasing your tail forever...

Patrick Jones

growing
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
298%
Dec 9, 2018
Berlin

That's why you want your involvement to stop at collecting the commission. Let the developer deal with the actual project.

Sounds a lot like slowlane.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.