The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

My Take on why people are so unhappy and unfulfilled

Anything related to matters of the mind

Blair

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
206%
Mar 4, 2014
New Zealand
Since my last post was helpful to some I thought I would write another about in hope of creating motivation for some people who feel unhappy about their current situation.

The problem with most people these days is all they ever do is focus on the unhappy, there is always something wrong in their lives. I’m sure each and everyone of you reading this post knows somebody like this or in fact could be this person. It happens to the best of us, sometimes life is over whelming and we as people get upset and unhappy.

I’m going to put a spin on things so bare with me, if you step out of the big picture life does suck. You grow up and spend 13 years learning things in which generally you may never use again in your life. Your best friends move away and go to different universities, move cities for work or just move away because they want to. In life you lose friends, more than likely to have your heart broken, witness people close to you suffer from health problems and at some stage in your life you will suffer from bad health yourself. Most people work for 5/7’s of their time and then with the little time they have spare they sort out their financials and try to spend that little bit of free time left with their family. Then Monday comes and they do this same cycle all over again.

This is how so many people view life these days, they tell themselves there will be a time in the future when they can stop being unhappy and start doing what they love. What these people don’t realize is living in the present is crucial to be happy. You have no control over the past or the future. The only place in time you have control over is Right now.

Life is great, it is the most exciting thing any of us will ever get to experience (as far as I am aware). It’s time people start being thankful for the little things, appreciating what they do have and not being upset at what they don’t. It’s time people follow their dreams and do what they want to do. Life is about making friends, loosing friends, falling in love and then falling out of love over and over again, changing jobs, changing cities/countries, missing people, partying, doing what makes you happy. Whether that’s swimming, dancing, sitting outside and watching the stars or just reading a book in bed, It really does not matter. Yes a lot of us here aspire to the fastlane but if you can not be happy yourself you really have to ask yourself what you are doing.

Life is a challenge so you may as well try have some fun while you’re living it.
Follow your heart, live your dreams.
“Ships are safe in the harbor but that’s not what ships were made for”

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

SteveO

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
457%
Jul 24, 2007
This is how so many people view life these days, they tell themselves there will be a time in the future when they can stop being unhappy and start doing what they love. What these people don’t realize is living in the present is crucial to be happy. You have no control over the past or the future. The only place in time you have control over is Right now.

Absolutely. It is your choice. We all have choices. You can enjoy your experience or not. We are all creating our future here in our present with our perception and choices.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
448%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
If you step out of the big picture life does suck.

Question is, who is painting the big picture? Are you in your own big picture? Or someone elses? Your parents? The media? The government? Something to think about.

Geeko

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
73%
Jul 19, 2014
EmilysQuotes.Com-motivational-inspirational-training.jpg

Sorry for huge pic.
Follow your heart, live your dreams.
“Ships are safe in the harbor but that’s not what ships were made for”

I truly believe that we as humans have been brainwashed to believing the middle class is upper class. Ask kids what they want to be when they grow up and they'll say; an astronaut, a cowboy, an astronaut cowboy etc. why? maybe because they don't know better, but also because they are fearless. Ask grade 12 HS students (final year of public edu) what they want to be and they will say they don't know or they will say what they've been told is a safe, good paying job with benefits.

The problem with today's society is that being wrong is the worst thing that can happen to you. This is evident in watching kids, they'll do what they want, because they want to. We are afraid to be wrong, we would rather to not try, than to try, fail, and learn from the experience.

I admire everyone on this forum because they are choosing to put a middle finger to the man and say no to the rat race (especially all the younger fastlaners)

Mineralogic

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
61%
Jul 28, 2014
Question is, who is painting the big picture? Are you in your own big picture? Or someone elses? Your parents? The media? The government? Something to think about.
BINGO!

the thing that pisses me off is of almost every single we the people do today....there is some institution, government, law, etc that gets in the way or serves as a roadblock

We can all come up with dozens of business ideas right now I bet...and most will be illegal or fall under technical rules stopping us from meeting that business need for a consumer.

There is no doubt in my mind the big corporations love big government and endless regulation- it helps them maintain their profits by providing barriers to entry

1000s' of libertarians and anarchists are being created every day because the matrix is being revealed ( IMO)

chrischapman

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
129%
Aug 3, 2014
Sydney, Australia

I think you are getting at the point that people get a lot of contentment and satisfaction from building something, from achievement, from painting their own big picture.

That is why young boys sit at a computer for hours on runescape clicking continuously on random pixels representing a yew tree or iron ore to raise their woodcutting and mining level. These boys are looking to find happiness through building.

It's why boys get to the beach and spend hours digging a hole (even though it's anti-building).

People don't like their life because they are not building for themselves but they are building the boss' business, his bank account, his empire.

Then, they become a cog, they fit into someone else's picture as you say. They are in someone else's picture and they haven't painted anything.

good article to illustrate my point: http://boldanddetermined.com/2012/01/28/why-you-should-be-a-builder/

AdrianL

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
113%
Jul 27, 2014
Romania
Just my two bits...

Putting aside the vast number of variables that constitute one's fulfillment, I think it mostly comes down to what one wants. (And that's where the problem usually starts)

Most people don't know what they want, and in this fast-forwarded environment, they seldom take the time to get to know themselves.

Imagining life as a road (for most people at least)... You're born, you have some time to dream, to think about things you might want, while you're being carried on a ride which at some point ends and you're left on your own two feet to go where you want... But things move fast, you're left having to make choices, but then again you have your own self to deal with as well, you might be scared of ending up alone on the road, or of doing the wrong thing, or anything else... So you might end up picking a path just so you wouldn't be left behind, instead of taking the time to forge your own.

Now, I don't mean to say that picking an already existing path is inherently wrong, if it is what one wants, then it shouldn't be a problem to begin with. But if you chose that path, why are you complaining about it ? If it really is a rocky path and the journey is a little hard, did you pick it for a good reason ? Or was it just your own fear that picked it for you and you actually didn't even want to go that way to begin with ?

Bottom line: No one can tell you what you want. Man up. Stop assuming. Think you want something ? Obtain it, and then tell me it's not what you wanted. But if that's the case, then I guess you're a little closer to finding out what it is you want. :)

I hope I didn't go too philosophical...

NVaz

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
112%
Jul 24, 2013
Lisbon, Portugal
This reminds me the MJ thread The beautiful roses and the raging river...
In the end i think most people don't REALLY wanted it... just kinda of want it . They don't want it enough to "wet their feet". Unless something REALLY bad happens to their life (health, hit the bottom,etc.) and a paradigm shift occurs.

Last edited by a moderator:

Mattie

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
129%
May 28, 2014
U.S.
I rather be on this side of the matrix. Glad I'm not in there anymore, but yes this is why I moved to the Netherlands to be with my bf. America has all these laws about me getting married and red tape. If I remember right they said he couldn't visit his family for over a certain amount of time. Dutch says here, I can stay five years, go home for three months as a time, and come back. Was $200 dollars to stay for five years. lol America costs more! lol

The more the matrix fades away the better. Better to be here, than where millions still are, and somehow I was appointed to wake people up. I guess that is my choice. Can't wait for all the critics in the matrix when my book comes out. Some how being a writer, I don't think I can avoid this. The matrix...the matrix...someone has to put another dent in it. M.J. already has, so I guess I'll follow his footsteps. I won't blame it on him either. lol It's my choice to rock the boat.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.