The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Okay Millionaires...Thoughts and Advice (Be nice!)

Deanna

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
41%
Sep 29, 2012
Arkansas
If you guys have Slowlane businesses currently, what's keeping you from making them Fastlane? For most people, it's scale and time. How can you take your current businesses to the next level, so to speak? What's stopping you from hiring general managers to take your place (margins too thin, fear of losing control over the day-to-day, etc)? Are your businesses one man/one woman shows? Have you tried taking your businesses to the next level in the past, and did it work?

Yes, 1 man/woman shows. Hubby is an electrical contractor, well established, great word of mouth and excellent slowlane income. He could hire, but from what we've seen, time, quality and money would suffer. Then still limited by area. Mine is medical billing, for 20 years, since I got out of programming. Have had up to 12 employees, then back down to me and one other (it was ore like running a daycare). Again, bigger means time, quality and money suffer. We each know our industry really well and work much better than others we have hired...mine really isn't limited by location...but currently getting killed by obamacare (let's not go down that road) but just had to let my ft employee go for loss of contacts, so back to just me. Yes, margins too thin and for the jobs to be done right, would still have to be tied to our time.

IfYour idea seems Fastlane from what you've explained.
YIPPEE, THANKS

A little bit about Wordpress: Take some time and learn about how it all works. Maybe set up a Web site using Wordpress, testing it out. Play with it on your spare time. Encourage your husband to do it, too. It's much easier to learn than HTML and CSS, and MUCH MUCH easier to learn than a standard programming/scripting language. Wordpress is all about testing and seeing what works and what doesn't, and making your site's plugins flow together. It's extremely useful.

As someone who is also learning the game of Fastlane business, I have more questions than answers for you and hopefully someone more experienced than I will be able to help you based on your answers.

I really do appreciate all of your input.
(FYI, almost fell off the couch lol @ have my husband learn...NOT his thing, can barely work his email, strictly blue collar worker.)

Good luck to you as well, can you tell what YOUR up to?

I wish you and your husband luck. Hopefully he'll get a Fastlane started up, too.
Thanks.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Deanna

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
41%
Sep 29, 2012
Arkansas
Nation,
If you are just suggesting for the upfront/market research piece then...maybe. You are correct I do not have the market research piece, didn't know how to do that but got the great idea above for the landing page, info, sign up piece.

The one question was if Wordpress was for "software development"? I need to be able to create a database with multiple tables, all with parent/child relationships. Ad this is all personal private protected info. I do NOT want to do these pieces...and that's the bulk of it.

Will check out the other links you listed, thanks.

nation

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
47%
Oct 2, 2012
The one question was if Wordpress was for "software development"? I need to be able to create a database with multiple tables, all with parent/child relationships. Ad this is all personal private protected info. I do NOT want to do these pieces...and that's the bulk of it.

Well, the question should not be "Is WordPress able to do this?" because that's not what WordPress is, but WordPress is built in a particular environment using MySQL + PHP and some other pretty standard web things.

Depending on your size, these other standards might or might not fit your needs.
Many WordPress plugins add to the already established db, some just add data, others add whole tables. There are established standards and thousands of people who program/develop in that environment, but it is not the end all be all.

I guess what I am saying is that WordPress has more to it & more opportunity then most expect.

The question that comes to mind is what really is the Minimum Viable Product for your idea & that only comes after the question of if there really is a high enough demand.

Deanna

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
41%
Sep 29, 2012
Arkansas
Well, the question should not be "Is WordPress able to do this?" because that's not what WordPress is, but WordPress is built in a particular environment using MySQL + PHP and some other pretty standard web things.

Depending on your size, these other standards might or might not fit your needs.
Many WordPress plugins add to the already established db, some just add data, others add whole tables. There are established standards and thousands of people who program/develop in that environment, but it is not the end all be all.

I guess what I am saying is that WordPress has more to it & more opportunity then most expect.

The question that comes to mind is what really is the Minimum Viable Product for your idea & that only comes after the question of if there really is a high enough demand.

Sounds like I need to not focus on the whole enchilada, just the upfront landing, email if your interested piece first...see how that flies, then work on the big piece.

Deanna

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
41%
Sep 29, 2012
Arkansas
Couldn't sleep last night, so got up and worked on my website wording for market testing...

Got wording about done for 3 pages; landing/about (explains system features/benefits), subscriptions page (explains cost and what's included) and feedback page...so they can sign up for update emails and launch info (in this I get all their info for follow-up and what size company, so I know subscription size)

Am I missing anything?

Thanks in advance.

Deanna

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
41%
Sep 29, 2012
Arkansas
Meet with web designer tomorrow, hope to get the landing page idea above up ASAP...so I can see what interest there will be in my idea.

On one hand I'm super excited, on the other I'm thinking..."what if NO one is interested"...talk about rejection, lol

JAJT

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
550%
Aug 7, 2012
Ontario, Canada

nation

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
47%
Oct 2, 2012
what if NO one is interested

in addition to what JAJT said - think of all the time you saved by getting out there and learning it would not work.

I wish I had failed faster, made more little bets, and move on with a number of projects over the years.

Deanna

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
41%
Sep 29, 2012
Arkansas
HELP!!!

Had the meeting today with web co. YIKES.

First 3 pages for market testing $800-1200.

Then each "phase" (and there's probably 4+). Would be $7500-15k EACH...{gulp}

Granted, it will look great and they do the marketing things, like SEO etc...they do seem great..and I CAN do in phases, and money would be coming in...so if its going good along the way, it would be worth it. And I DO think it will be BIG.

Thoughts?

G-man422

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
62%
Oct 5, 2011
Ohio, USA
HELP!!!

First 3 pages for market testing $800-1200.

Then each "phase" (and there's probably 4+). Would be $7500-15k EACH...{gulp}

Thoughts?

My thoughts are interview other web development companies. I'm not suggesting go with the cheapest, I'm just saying that you need to shop around to see who will work best for you.

Deanna

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
41%
Sep 29, 2012
Arkansas
I'm thinking I might do myself after all, the first 3 pages, to see interest.

So, question is then, how much interest is "enough" to know to proceed? How do I evaluate what I get?

Thanks.

D

DeletedUser2

some simple metrics

100 clicks to the page (100 visitors)

have a clear call to action with a BIG benefit that solves the core problem

1 big BUY now button.

have a good price distortions (100 dollar value for 20 bucks.)

count the clicks to the second page (google analytic s, free)

I would like to see a 10% conversion rate with those kinds of offers.

a real offer would probably be 2-4%

pay for traffic to test.

thats a simple way to test

deepestblue

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
52%
Jun 11, 2011
Arizona
Hi, first of all, find PAYING customers for your business.

2nd, don't spend too much money before you even have people paying, you aren't even sure if there's a demand for your service or product.

This x10000. Someone recently said that with the internet there is no excuse for a "large-scale" (obviously a relative term) project that doesn't work because the beauty of the internet is it allows anyone to start SMALL and not put the cart before the horse.

I'm thinking I might do myself after all, the first 3 pages, to see interest.

How totally refreshing to hear someone adjusting their plans. Many times, people post their project ideas simply looking for validation and ignoring the advice that could have saved them so much time and money.

Deanna

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
41%
Sep 29, 2012
Arkansas
some simple metrics

100 clicks to the page (100 visitors)

have a clear call to action with a BIG benefit that solves the core problem

1 big BUY now button.

have a good price distortions (100 dollar value for 20 bucks.)

count the clicks to the second page (google analytic s, free)

I would like to see a 10% conversion rate with those kinds of offers.

a real offer would probably be 2-4%

pay for traffic to test.

thats a simple way to test

Zen, thanks.
I got most of that...couple questions.

Buy now? There won't be anything to buy, just a sign up for newsletter/email until product/service is ready. Then what?

I didn't get the 2-4% sentence? Is that the percentage that actually sign up from the 10% that go to 2nd page?

Paying for traffic you just mean the PPC, right?

Thanks again.

Deanna

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
41%
Sep 29, 2012
Arkansas
.How totally refreshing to hear someone adjusting their plans. Many times, people post their project ideas simply looking for validation and ignoring the advice that could have saved them so much time and money.

Lol, it's a blessing and a curse...I love change (hubby, not so much)

D

DeletedUser2

I got most of that...couple questions.

Buy now? There won't be anything to buy, just a sign up for newsletter/email until product/service is ready. Then what?

100 clicks, there is a BUY button, but have it default to a sorry, 404 page. (just count it as if they bought.)

I didn't get the 2-4% sentence?

in most direct response,2% of the 100 is considered a good REAL conversion rate, (it does vary from product to productt but its a rule of thumb only)
Is that the percentage that actually sign up from the 10% that go to 2nd page?
no its of the 100 if you were to acutally have something to sell.

Paying for traffic you just mean the PPC, right?

ppc, adblad, wam ads, site scout,

there are hundreds of places to buy traffic, Google PPC is usally fastest way to go. and you can get a google 100 dollar PPC free coupon if you google it, and look around.

:)

Z

Deanna

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
41%
Sep 29, 2012
Arkansas
100 clicks, there is a BUY button, but have it default to a sorry, 404 page. (just count it as if they bought.)

Z

Doesnt that look bad for a business with a website and website gets errors? then their left with ?
Since its a subscription service? how about SUBSCRIBE NOW and when they click i let them know they will get an update email when its ready?

Another thought...since they really wouldnt GET anything if they did "buy now" what would i have them buy/subscribe TO ???

thinslicer

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
98%
Aug 13, 2012
Atlanta, Georgia, USA
-been following this thread, great responses, BIG THANKS to contributing posters and OP.
-I almost didn't want to post since its kind of pointless to just say thanks (thanks/like button), but I thought its nice to say thanks to validate you guys for your awesome efforts -you make the forum great w threads like this
-Ddfurman, best of luck, I actually like the color posts, although I hope you're the only person that does it haha (hmm maybe all OPs' posts should be in color..)

Deanna

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
41%
Sep 29, 2012
Arkansas
HELP!

I dont know what im doing...and i know that

My sight is set up
I have an adwords campaign
with keywords, but they all say this:

Showing ads right now? No - Your keyword isn't triggering ads to appear due to a low Ad Rank, and your campaign has no recent impressions. To address this issue, focus on improving the relevance of your keywords, ads, and landing page.

Quality score Learn more
3/10 Expected clickthrough rate: Below average
Ad relevance: Below average
Landing page experience: Average

Im trying to read all the help i can, I changed my bids to automatic, I dont know what it wants from me? Anyone feel like helping?
THANKS!

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
448%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Deanna,

You revealed your website (and the idea) on the INSIDERS Forum and I took a look -- I made my comments available there.

Based on what I've seen, this isn't too complicated to create. If this was "my project" it would probably take me a few days to do it if this was something I was focused on. It really is a simple database application that could be run under a LAMP environment.

As for the idea, I think it has value to the intended market should you execute properly.

However, as I wrote on the inside, this is one of those "chicken or the egg" things where your success is going to largely predicated on getting USERS first. You can't have people subscribing to a database that is EMPTY. You are asking people to pay for information, to which, you have none. Therefore, your first objective should be a database build out - the actual value-piece to which you eventually want to sell.

This means you cannot reasonable expect to charge $$ for this service in the beginning. It might be months, to years, before you have a database worth of sale. While this might sound as a idea-killer, it actually isn't as it creates a significant barrier to entry where your proprietary database is the asset.

So objective #1 would be to create a simple application that builds-out your database asset, anchored by a high converting landing page.

IMO, your "subscriptions" should be FREE for a limited time to aid this process.

billy

PARKED
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
Jun 5, 2011
HELP!

I dont know what im doing...and i know that

My sight is set up
I have an adwords campaign
with keywords, but they all say this:

Showing ads right now? No - Your keyword isn't triggering ads to appear due to a low Ad Rank, and your campaign has no recent impressions. To address this issue, focus on improving the relevance of your keywords, ads, and landing page.

Quality score Learn more
3/10 Expected clickthrough rate: Below average
Ad relevance: Below average
Landing page experience: Average

Im trying to read all the help i can, I changed my bids to automatic, I dont know what it wants from me? Anyone feel like helping?
THANKS!

Ok, I can't see your campaigns but I will try to help you as I get A LOT of clicks through adwords.
For example I am going to use the same examples everyone uses to make it very simple.

You should only have 7-12 keywords 15 MAX no more than that per campaign Google will punish you!
I always keep mine under 10.

You may have a wide range of keywords you can use but don't for one campaign.

Now with the choosing of keywords. Now this may not be related to your site but bare with me.

Your site is about german shepherd dog training - Title of the site "How To Train Your German Shepherd"

Keywords - find a main theme keyword phrase and it makes your campaign more targeted. In this case "German Shepherd"

Do your keyword research I use market samurai but you can use Google's keyword tool if you don't want to buy something.

German Shepherd training videos
German Shepherd training techniques
How to train your German Shepherd
How to easily train your German Shepherd
German Shepherd training for beginners

That is just an example and I didn't do any research myself. But the theme keyword is in ALL of my keywords. You may want a more targeted theme keyword too - this was just an example.

Now with your ads make sure you make it as targeted as your keywords. Not sure off the top of my head what the character count is just work with me. Make sure the first letter of every word is capitalized like so.

title - German Shepherd Training Videos
body - Learn to Train Your German Shepherd
in 3 Easy Steps.

Now for your site. Make sure the page they land on has some of your keywords embedded with HIGH Quality Content!!!!

I have studied Google Adwords for years now. But take everything I say with a grain of salt everyone has their own way of doing things. So for the people who think my info is false... sorry. I like doing things this way it works for me I have been banned from Google and reinstated I have a lot of experience with this advertising program.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.