The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Plant-based protein powders

Xeon

All Cars Kneel Before Pagani.
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
191%
Sep 3, 2017
Singapore
Anyone here who gyms/lift weights who takes plant-based protein powder?

I've been blending milk with whey protein and it seems to be giving me acne around the lower face after a few months. I'm thinking of trying pea protein powders after this to see if it's better. The problem I read with plant-based protein powder is that it doesn't have the complete protein profile (e.g. L-Leucine) whey protein do, so it's less effective?

But plant-based protein powder seems cheaper so maybe I can add an additional scoop to try to make up for it.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

MTF

Never give up
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
455%
May 1, 2011
There are mixes with a better profile, like part rice, part pea, part hemp. Pea protein alone tastes terrible but a mix is okay to drink unflavored without any sweeteners etc.

perchboy

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
321%
Aug 7, 2022
Toronto, Canada
I was getting acne too from milk + whey.

I made the switch to oat milk + garden of life vegan protein and I’ve had no breakouts from it at all.

If you want low calories you can have almond milk instead.

Xeon

Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
191%
Sep 3, 2017
Singapore
I made the switch to oat milk + garden of life vegan protein and I’ve had no breakouts from it at all.

Just wondering, did you lose some muscle mass when you switched to vegan protein? Or did you see no difference at all compared to whey protein?

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah

perchboy

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
321%
Aug 7, 2022
Toronto, Canada
Just wondering, did you lose some muscle mass when you switched to vegan protein? Or did you see no difference at all compared to whey protein?
I didn’t lose any muscle I’ve been gaining a lot actually.

However, I’m not a vegan I just don’t eat dairy, whey or soy because it gives me acne and found this protein powder as a good alternative to make delicious shakes. Most of my protein comes from chicken.

Xeon

Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
191%
Sep 3, 2017
Singapore
I didn’t lose any muscle I’ve been gaining a lot actually.

However, I’m not a vegan I just don’t eat dairy, whey or soy because it gives me acne and found this protein powder as a good alternative to make delicious shakes. Most of my protein comes from chicken.

Same, I'm not a vegan either but looking for an alternative to whey. Do you blend this with other ingredients and if yes, what ingredients?

perchboy

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
321%
Aug 7, 2022
Toronto, Canada
Same, I'm not a vegan either but looking for an alternative to whey. Do you blend this with other ingredients and if yes, what ingredients?
Half cup of oats, banana, cup of oat milk, protein powder. Make sure you blend the oats by itself first to grind it into a powder.

Comes out to 500 calories and tastes like a treat.

I used to put 2 spoons of peanut butter and 2 spoons of hemp hearts in to make it 800 cals but I’m toning my bulk down a bit now.

Antifragile

Progress not perfection
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
461%
Mar 15, 2018
This is the brand I use.

And best part, a friend of mine started it from a basement, to garage… to a 9 figure exit.

Devilery

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
191%
Feb 11, 2019
Hard to beat bulk.com on any - price, quality, taste. They have vegan protein blends (combine multiple ingredients to have a full amino-acid profile). Those are just as effective as whey and without the downsides. I wouldn't get any other, bulk literally gets you double the amount for the same price as other brands.

Edit: checked one of the other brands recommended here, $60 for less than 1kg/2lbs while on bulk you could almost get two 2.5kg/5lbs packages for the same price.

Edit 2: just noticed... they don't ship to US, it's just Europe.

Last edited:

Xeon

Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
191%
Sep 3, 2017
Singapore
Are you sure it's from the whey? It could be a range of factors.

Nah, the biggest suspect should be from the whey. Let's see how it goes.

Xeon

Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
191%
Sep 3, 2017
Singapore
Update: The 5 lbs Naked Pea protein powder I bought just arrived last night. Mixed 3 scoops of it in a blender with plain milk, water and a few drops of vanilla extract. Tastes like thick flour water with a little bit of saltiness. Have to drink it slowly over a period of 1 hour. Pukey is the word to describe it. The vanilla extract gave the whole thing a cough syrup smell.

I may try mixing it with natural juice extract or flavored milk once I've finished using the plain milk.

biophase

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
474%
Jul 25, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ
Anyone here who gyms/lift weights who takes plant-based protein powder?

I've been blending milk with whey protein and it seems to be giving me acne around the lower face after a few months. I'm thinking of trying pea protein powders after this to see if it's better. The problem I read with plant-based protein powder is that it doesn't have the complete protein profile (e.g. L-Leucine) whey protein do, so it's less effective?

But plant-based protein powder seems cheaper so maybe I can add an additional scoop to try to make up for it.
I take this one. I get the chocolate one, mixed with water. Tastes fine to me.

Devilery

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
191%
Feb 11, 2019
Update: The 5 lbs Naked Pea protein powder I bought just arrived last night. Mixed 3 scoops of it in a blender with plain milk, water and a few drops of vanilla extract. Tastes like thick flour water with a little bit of saltiness. Have to drink it slowly over a period of 1 hour. Pukey is the word to describe it. The vanilla extract gave the whole thing a cough syrup smell.

I may try mixing it with natural juice extract or flavored milk once I've finished using the plain milk.
Any single ingredient protein tastes horrible, what I've noticed they're much better tasting (and have a complete amino acid profile) when they have a mix of something like: rice, pea, hemp, soy proteins.

Plain pea and plain soy proteins are undrinkable.

Btw, I don't even buy protein powders - 2 bananas, 100g of peanut butter, protein soy milk, and any other fruits I have. Cheaper and tastes great!

Xeon

Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
191%
Sep 3, 2017
Singapore
Btw, I don't even buy protein powders - 2 bananas, 100g of peanut butter, protein soy milk, and any other fruits I have. Cheaper and tastes great!

Speaking of peanut butter, I wanted to try the PB2 powdered peanut butter with the pea protein in future. But in a month when this tub is finished, I'll probably try other brands that offer a flavored version lol You're right : alone by itself, it's undrinkable and I've to muster all my willlpower to drink this puke.

BigRomeDawg

Gold Contributor
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
224%
Jan 22, 2014
Canada/USA
My friend Mark makes an animal-based protein powder (not whey) called Ancient Strength. It's the only protein powder I can double scoop on an empty stomach and feel no ill effects. We roadtripped a u-haul truck to Seattle on Monday to pick up a 1,000 unit order from his manufacturer. I'm not an e-com guy so it was cool to see the supply chain and hear all the fun stories of getting a supplement produced.

But anyway I was skeptical because I've never been a protein powder fan (always felt hard to digest) but this one doesn't bother me at all.

Since you asked about plant-based, my favorite there would probably be Antler Farms

biophase

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
474%
Jul 25, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ
I take this one. I get the chocolate one, mixed with water. Tastes fine to me.

I also take this protein. This is more than just protein, it's a longevity shake and it's pricey.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.