The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Random Chat, Thoughts, Posts, and/or Rants Thread

Kevin88660

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
118%
Feb 8, 2019
Southeast Asia
Random question: if you eat healthy and avoid processed sugar, do you allow yourself processed sugar on any special occasions (say, processed birthday cakes and stuff) or avoid it altogether all year round?

What rules do you have for when it's okay to "cheat" and when it's an excuse?

In simpler words, are you a bitch if you avoid sugar but you let yourself it eat when you have a good convenient excuse?

@MJ DeMarco, how do you approach this?

As long as I avoid processed sugar I'm completely fine without it. But if I eat it for a special occasion, I often fall back into a vicious cycle of wanting more of it and then weeks may pass before I free myself of it again.
On a personal level, I will struggle if my energy level gets too low. A little Junk food is a very quick power boost. 2-300 calories of junk for a 2-3 hours productivity boost is a decent tradeoff.

On a social level, it is harder to reject when you hang out people who buy you food. Kind of rude if you reject the offer. I hang out with older folks who are not very nutrition. Sometimes I accept it and puts in my bag and says I am full I ll eat it when I am hungry then when I am back home I dispose them.

Last edited:

Antifragile

Progress not perfection
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
458%
Mar 15, 2018
I remember reading a book (“ALIVE”) about the place crash survivors in the Andes back in 1972.

It was such a moving story, a great reminder of how to live our lives and not be afraid to face challenges.

And yes, they had to do the unthinkable …

Now there’s a great movie on Netflix “Society of the Snow”

Fascinating, captivating… I went through quite an emotional process again, just like with the book.

I recommend both the book and the movie.
IMG_0204.jpeg

Last edited:

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Does anyone remember when they advertised cars on television that you could actually buy?

Pepperidge Farm remembers.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

AceVentures

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
406%
Apr 16, 2019
FYI: blue light in the evening interferes with your insulin response.

If you're pre-diabetic or diabetic and you're up till midnight every night looking at your phone or computer screen sitting under bright lights inside the house: you're F*cking yourself up no matter what you eat.

GJmJ6WIWcAAZifj

Robdavis

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
157%
Nov 16, 2022
United Kingdom
@AceVentures

You can use System > Display > Night Light if you have a Windows 11 PC that you use in the evening. This will lower blue light levels from your screen.

You can buy blue light blocking glasses. IMO very effective.

Most Android phones now have blue light filters that you can use if desired.

You can choose light bulbs with a low (known as warm) colour temperature. 2700K should be fine. Use these bulbs in bedrooms or offices where you work in the evening.

warm white.jpg

You can use light bulbs with a high (known as cool) colour temperature in places where you need to see colours accurately. 6000K should be fine. If you are painting or looking at pictures then do it somewhere with these bulbs. But don't do this task too late in the evening.

cool white.jpg

Obviously, don't buy these exact bulbs, because they are UK spec and so will be wrong for most of you, just remember the colour temperature.

Last edited:

AceVentures

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
406%
Apr 16, 2019
@AceVentures

You can use System > Display > Night Light if you have a Windows 11 PC that you use in the evening. This will lower blue light levels from your screen.

You can buy blue light blocking glasses. IMO very effective.

Most Android phones now have blue light filters that you can use if desired.

You can choose light bulbs with a low (known as warm) colour temperature. 2700K should be fine. Use these bulbs in bedrooms or offices where you work in the evening.

View attachment 54996

You can use light bulbs with a high (known as cool) colour temperature in places where you need to see colours accurately. 6000K should be fine. If you are painting or looking at pictures then do it somewhere with these bulbs. But don't do this task too late in the evening.

View attachment 54997

Obviously, don't buy these exact bulbs, because they are UK spec and so will be wrong for most of you, just remember the colour temperature.

Yes.

It's only a small hack all things considered.

And your metabolic processes are all grounded to the solar cycle.

I think there's some degree of adaptation that can influence your response.

But generally, all of the tissues of your body are photosensitive to varying degrees.

Energizing them once the sun sets disrupts the metabolic rate our biological tissues evolved with for every generation before the advent of electricity.

We can get nerdy about what amount is tolerable and how to minimize your exposure and stress response.

But at the root of it, light radiation influences the physical state of the tissues.

For myself and my family's practicality:
No screen time for at least 90 minutes before bed
Watch the sunset and go to bed

We've been measuring our fasted glucose levels every morning for at least 3 months now and the difference that our sleep/light environment makes on our numbers in the morning would scare most people.

I encourage everyone to start measuring their fasted glucose levels and to keep up with their insulin response.

It's imo a super easy and accessible metric of your overall metabolic processes.

StrikingViper69

Shredding scales and making sales
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
169%
Dec 3, 2018
UK
Has anyone used Sendy for email delivery? Looks like it's a ton cheaper than the alternatives, wondering if it's any good or not.

Probably going to give it a go next week but would appreciate knowing if there's something I should watch out for.

MTF

Never give up
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
455%
May 1, 2011
Has anyone used Sendy for email delivery? Looks like it's a ton cheaper than the alternatives, wondering if it's any good or not.

Probably going to give it a go next week but would appreciate knowing if there's something I should watch out for.

Probably the catch is that you need to be technical to set it up and manage it properly to ensure delivery.

StrikingViper69

FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
169%
Dec 3, 2018
UK
Probably the catch is that you need to be technical to set it up and manage it properly to ensure delivery.
You have to do a bit of tech stuff, but assuming the hosting company supports it, it doesn't look too bad

MJ DeMarco

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah

Kak

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
494%
Jan 23, 2011
Texas
Does anyone remember when they advertised cars on television that you could actually buy?

Pepperidge Farm remembers.
Radio ad in severely overplayed Texas accent:

60 THAWSUND OFF SUPERKREWWWWWWE!!!!

ZEROPERCENTFINANCINGFOR... 10 F*ckIN YEERS!

NO PAYMENTS TIL JANUARY OF 2025!

WANT A NEW F150 PLATINUM F BY 4 TEXAS EDITION TREMOR ECOBOOST? THAT'S JANUARY'S PROBLEM BRO!

IT'S TRUCK MONTH ALL YEAR LONG!!!!

HOW THE HELL DO WE EVEN STAY IN BUSINESS?????!!!?!?!!

You want a new truck and this place sounds pretty aggressive. You get to the dealership. You like the truck. After two hours of dealership BS, they slide you the piece of paper outlining your deal.

14k over MSRP. :rofl:

IMG_20240326_213219.gif

Last edited:

Consolation

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
181%
Sep 6, 2017
Malaysia
Last November, I went to a 10-days course on being a producer. A motion picture producer. I can't call it film producer, because we did focus on commercials, TV series, screenwriting, etc. And it was FOC, meals were even provided.

Since, my current business now is in video production, I figured out maybe there's money outside YouTube.

Funny thing was, there's this participant (a gentle giant) who after mentioning one local celebrity and my answer was "Who's that?", he proceded with asking me a long list of celebrities that both of us might know.

"Do you know ABC?" I shook my head.
"Do you know DEF?" I shook my head.
"Do you know GHI?" I shook my head.
"Do you know JKL?" I shook my head.

He looked at me as if I came from another planet. Or maybe he thought I was trying to crack some jokes.

"Like I said, bro." I replied. "I am an outsider."

Indeed I am. Almost half of the participants of the course had experience working in a film production company. My past experience had nothing to do with film production. I was only less than a year providing video services.

"If you want to enter this industry, you have to know at least few of them." A lady, considered as veteran in the room, chimed in.

Few months later, after completing a live stream project, my production crew (there were 3 of us) waiting to on-board a ferry to go home. One of them was my cousin who lived just next door. He repeatedly knocked my shoulder while pointing his finger but dicscreetly towards a girl.

"That's MNO". He said.

As usual my answer would be "Who's that?"

And the scene of course you all know whenever a celebrity appeared in public.

Now I am not against entertainment.

It's just my celeb database is outdated by 7-8 years. I figured out maybe those celebs are TikTok-born. That's why I have no idea at all. Imagine that I only know artists that released their songs few years back on the radio and few on YouTube. I mean both local and global.

#GreenDay #BoulevardofBrokenDreams

Consolation

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
181%
Sep 6, 2017
Malaysia

Matt Sun

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
253%
Oct 21, 2017
Argentina
Went out to the dentist and had a quick look round the local town. Everyone looks so sick. The average persons health looks like a disaster.
Let's do covid again but against being fat, like the news should say : "Drop the hamburger or you are killing your grandma" and a video of the grandma looking at the fat guy and dropping dead from shame

MitchC

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
288%
Mar 8, 2014
Australia
Went out to the dentist and had a quick look round the local town. Everyone looks so sick. The average persons health looks like a disaster.
Time to move

StrikingViper69

FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
169%
Dec 3, 2018
UK

Antifragile

Progress not perfection
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
458%
Mar 15, 2018
“Some people get rich studying artificial intelligence. Me, I make money studying natural stupidity”

- Carl Icahn

Xeon

All Cars Kneel Before Pagani.
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
191%
Sep 3, 2017
Singapore
Jake Paul is fighting with Mike Tyson soon. One of the biggest money fight ever.

Jake is the most highly paid entertainer in the fight business for someone not having a professional fighting background.

Most likely they've already paid Mike Tyson to lose, and will build up Jake Paul as the next social-media/boxing star since he has more marketability than an aging guy.

JUAREZ

Bronze Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
143%
Jun 24, 2019
For the European people who wants to file for a trademark for Europe, they have a funding campaign where they pay 75% for registering your trademark in EU (max 1000 EUR). Funds are limited so it is first come, first served type of funding. Look for Euipo SME Fund

MJ DeMarco

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
I think this was a Black Mirror episode 5 or 6 years ago...

1711724979678.png

Daniel A

DIESEL
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
116%
Jun 20, 2013
California, USA
Last edited:

MJ DeMarco

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
The click-bait bullshit on YouTube is out of hand; is it now normal where you completely lie in the thumbnail description to attract clicks, and then in the video itself proceed to contradict everything you just said in the thumbnail.

Example:

Why starting a business is the worst idea ever.

And then you watch the video, you give the exact opposite advice.

Why Toyota is the worst car brand ever.

And then you proceed to say the opposite, or nothing that supports the title.

Pretty much everything is like this and it makes it impossible to actually find real information based on the click-bait headlines.

StrikingViper69

FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
169%
Dec 3, 2018
UK
The click-bait bullshit on YouTube is out of hand; is it now normal where you completely lie in the thumbnail description to attract clicks, and then in the video itself proceed to contradict everything you just said in the thumbnail.

Example:

Why starting a business is the worst idea ever.

And then you watch the video, you give the exact opposite advice.

Why Toyota is the worst car brand ever.

And then you proceed to say the opposite, or nothing that supports the title.

Pretty much everything is like this and it makes it impossible to actually find real information based on the click-bait headlines.
YouTube probably loves it, users now consume 5x video to find the one video they want.

Antifragile

Progress not perfection
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
458%
Mar 15, 2018