The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Setting Dogs and Their People Up for Success in Behavior, Health, and Life - Progress Thread

A detailed account of a Fastlane process...

REV5028

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
275%
Oct 29, 2022
New Mexico
This thread is a continuation, or evolution, of my initial progress thread.

My Personal Pain Points:
June 2022: I rescued my adult male Rottweiler, Klaus. He had some major issues like extreme reactivity to other dogs (he even bit one in the face while on a walk within the first weeks I had him), severe separation anxiety (he broke out of my apartment, smashed one of my car windows, and is an expert at crate escape), and he was terrified of going potty in front of me (he wouldn't go on several-hour long walks and would hold it until he was literally leaking).

October 2023: Klaus was diagnosed with a large brain tumor. If we had done nothing his prognosis was 3 months. I took him for radiation treatment, which gives a prognosis of up to 15 months. But I think we can do better, at least I'm fighting for more time with him.

December 2023: we impulsively rescued an adult female German Shepherd, Ella. She was a ball of stress, but seemed to be doing alright. A few days later the shelter called me to inform me that Ella never should have been adopted out. She was an aggressor in a severe attack on another German Shepherd and had been labeled as un-adoptable. The victim survived, but required surgery and a long recovery. The other aggressor had already been put to sleep. They said that it was their mistake and they couldn't make me bring her back, but if she did end up back in the shelter she would be euthanized. It wasn't long after that I saw just how reactive she could be towards other dogs (and bicycles).

My Personal Success:
Today Klaus and Ella are doing great. Both in health and behavior. Much less reactivity, much less frantic energy, much much less shedding and scratching and licking. Klaus is now 3 months past his original prognosis and 5 months into his radiation prognosis; I know we have a long way to go, but there are currently zero indications that his tumor is growing. It has taken hours upon hours of research and implementation to get them here.

I'm in a couple of Facebook groups for dogs with reactivity/aggression. I see people posting daily about how they've poured thousands of dollars into training and behaviorists and their dog is still out of control. I wonder how I got so lucky to have two psychopath rescues turn into such wonderful members of our family. Did I really get lucky? Quite possibly. Or am I doing something different enough to make the difference in behavior? Maybe?

I'm also in a few groups for dogs with cancer/tumors and specific dog diets. I've seen a handful of miracle accounts of how people have reversed their dog's ailments with diet and supplements. More often I see countless stories of dogs on what appears to be a healthy diet and still getting incredibly ill, and many dogs not making it very far past their prognoses even with chemo, radiation, or surgery. Klaus and I were one of the latter stories - he had been eating a veterinarian-formulated dog food that came frozen, and he still got the brain tumor. Our third dog, Silver, also had horrible skin yeast infections even though he was on "novel" proteins like lamb and venison. I'm hopeful we are now on the right path to become a miracle story. We shall see.

Goals:
I want to help as many people as possible with their dogs' behavior and health issues. In putting together my personal process for achieving both behavioral and health wellness, I've realized that a lot of things go hand in hand. It almost feels to me that traditional dog training is only treating a symptom, much like pharmaceuticals also often only treat symptoms. What I've put together more closely resembles a lifestyle - diet, exercise, sleep, reducing pollutants/toxins, socialization, communication, autonomy & choice.

Even though I've been establishing myself as a local dog trainer, I don't really like labeling myself as simply a "dog trainer." But, alas, I'm not a vet, nor a nutritionist, nor a certified behaviorist, nor certified anything. I know I will face hurdles with that in the future, but so far it hasn't seemed to matter - people are just happy to see the improvements and results. Maybe as I keep building up and getting people interested in the whole picture, not just training, I'll simply become "the dog lady."

Current Standing:
I've mostly been doing one-on-one training sessions with people and their dogs. I don't have any packages, group classes, online courses, or memberships going yet. I did have decent success with a virtual client once, so I am interested in exploring that more. An ebook is also on my mind. This evening I'm giving a free community seminar that will paint the lifestyle vs. training picture. I have 16 or 17 out of 25 spots filled - not too bad. I've made a waitlist on my website for my whole lifestyle package and will advertise it after my seminar. I've had a couple of clients interested in some aspect of it beyond training, so hopefully this gives me an even better idea of general interest. I've also had some interest in treat bags that I up-cycle from old jeans, so I'll dabble in that a little bit more; perhaps they will become part of a package deal one day.

Anyway, that's it for now. I'll post an update at the end of each month. As always, would love feedback and suggestions!

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
369%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
This thread is a continuation, or evolution, of my initial progress thread.

My Personal Pain Points:
June 2022: I rescued my adult male Rottweiler, Klaus. He had some major issues like extreme reactivity to other dogs (he even bit one in the face while on a walk within the first weeks I had him), severe separation anxiety (he broke out of my apartment, smashed one of my car windows, and is an expert at crate escape), and he was terrified of going potty in front of me (he wouldn't go on several-hour long walks and would hold it until he was literally leaking).

October 2023: Klaus was diagnosed with a large brain tumor. If we had done nothing his prognosis was 3 months. I took him for radiation treatment, which gives a prognosis of up to 15 months. But I think we can do better, at least I'm fighting for more time with him.

December 2023: we impulsively rescued an adult female German Shepherd, Ella. She was a ball of stress, but seemed to be doing alright. A few days later the shelter called me to inform me that Ella never should have been adopted out. She was an aggressor in a severe attack on another German Shepherd and had been labeled as un-adoptable. The victim survived, but required surgery and a long recovery. The other aggressor had already been put to sleep. They said that it was their mistake and they couldn't make me bring her back, but if she did end up back in the shelter she would be euthanized. It wasn't long after that I saw just how reactive she could be towards other dogs (and bicycles).

My Personal Success:
Today Klaus and Ella are doing great. Both in health and behavior. Much less reactivity, much less frantic energy, much much less shedding and scratching and licking. Klaus is now 3 months past his original prognosis and 5 months into his radiation prognosis; I know we have a long way to go, but there are currently zero indications that his tumor is growing. It has taken hours upon hours of research and implementation to get them here.

I'm in a couple of Facebook groups for dogs with reactivity/aggression. I see people posting daily about how they've poured thousands of dollars into training and behaviorists and their dog is still out of control. I wonder how I got so lucky to have two psychopath rescues turn into such wonderful members of our family. Did I really get lucky? Quite possibly. Or am I doing something different enough to make the difference in behavior? Maybe?

I'm also in a few groups for dogs with cancer/tumors and specific dog diets. I've seen a handful of miracle accounts of how people have reversed their dog's ailments with diet and supplements. More often I see countless stories of dogs on what appears to be a healthy diet and still getting incredibly ill, and many dogs not making it very far past their prognoses even with chemo, radiation, or surgery. Klaus and I were one of the latter stories - he had been eating a veterinarian-formulated dog food that came frozen, and he still got the brain tumor. Our third dog, Silver, also had horrible skin yeast infections even though he was on "novel" proteins like lamb and venison. I'm hopeful we are now on the right path to become a miracle story. We shall see.

Goals:
I want to help as many people as possible with their dogs' behavior and health issues. In putting together my personal process for achieving both behavioral and health wellness, I've realized that a lot of things go hand in hand. It almost feels to me that traditional dog training is only treating a symptom, much like pharmaceuticals also often only treat symptoms. What I've put together more closely resembles a lifestyle - diet, exercise, sleep, reducing pollutants/toxins, socialization, communication, autonomy & choice.

Even though I've been establishing myself as a local dog trainer, I don't really like labeling myself as simply a "dog trainer." But, alas, I'm not a vet, nor a nutritionist, nor a certified behaviorist, nor certified anything. I know I will face hurdles with that in the future, but so far it hasn't seemed to matter - people are just happy to see the improvements and results. Maybe as I keep building up and getting people interested in the whole picture, not just training, I'll simply become "the dog lady."

Current Standing:
I've mostly been doing one-on-one training sessions with people and their dogs. I don't have any packages, group classes, online courses, or memberships going yet. I did have decent success with a virtual client once, so I am interested in exploring that more. An ebook is also on my mind. This evening I'm giving a free community seminar that will paint the lifestyle vs. training picture. I have 16 or 17 out of 25 spots filled - not too bad. I've made a waitlist on my website for my whole lifestyle package and will advertise it after my seminar. I've had a couple of clients interested in some aspect of it beyond training, so hopefully this gives me an even better idea of general interest. I've also had some interest in treat bags that I up-cycle from old jeans, so I'll dabble in that a little bit more; perhaps they will become part of a package deal one day.

Anyway, that's it for now. I'll post an update at the end of each month. As always, would love feedback and suggestions!
Great to see you spin up a new progress thread. I'm sure it will help lots of forum members who also have four legged friends.

And we'll done with Klaus and Ella. Dealing with reactivity and illnesses must be hard on you too, so hats off.

As you know, we welcomed a 4 month old labrador into our family last week. I'm adjusting to lack of sleep again. I've never owned a dog and can see it's a whole new world I knew nothing about.

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
369%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
I wonder how many people know about what you do? Is there a bit of an awareness piece that's missing? Could it be you're initially positioned and found as a dog trainer and you help solve the issues people come to you with and also issues they didn't even know they had?

So someone might search or ask for a dog trainer, and you're a dog trainer who helps dogs and their people with <your special methods>?

REV5028

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
275%
Oct 29, 2022
New Mexico
Great to see you spin up a new progress thread. I'm sure it will help lots of forum members who also have four legged friends.

And we'll done with Klaus and Ella. Dealing with reactivity and illnesses must be hard on you too, so hats off.

As you know, we welcomed a 4 month old labrador into our family last week. I'm adjusting to lack of sleep again. I've never owned a dog and can see it's a whole new world I knew nothing about.
Thanks, Andy :)

Yes, life since October has been a blur. Lots of tears, driving, sleepless nights. I think I'm just now starting to regain my sense of time.

Miss Bella Black! You'll get the hang of it. It's great you're looking into training and getting help with how to communicate with her now rather than later. As with most things, your efforts now will pay off tenfold later.

REV5028

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
275%
Oct 29, 2022
New Mexico
I wonder how many people know about what you do? Is there a bit of an awareness piece that's missing? Could it be you're initially positioned and found as a dog trainer and you help solve the issues people come to you with and also issues they didn't even know they had?

So someone might search or ask for a dog trainer, and you're a dog trainer who helps dogs and their people with <your special methods>?
I think there is definitely some missing awareness. And also just getting in front of the right people.

Yes, I was initially just focusing on dog training in the traditional sense; it hasn't been until more recently that I've put together this more lifestyle approach. I've been struggling with how to pitch it, so my website and interactions with people have still just been limited to traditional training for the most part. I'm hoping I get some good feedback with tonight's seminar, as this will be the first time I go into more detail on the whole picture.

I think your last sentence is a good place for me to start!

The-J

Dog Dad
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
264%
Aug 28, 2011
Ontario
I've been struggling with how to pitch it

Start with the end result. Generally people seek out dog professionals when they have a problem with their dog.

A year ago I ran lead generation campaigns for a dog training company. The format was very simple: Google ads for a specific dog problem (let's say separation anxiety), then a simple landing page elucidating what it feels like to have that problem (dog scratching at the door when you're gone, loud noises pissing off the neighbors, furniture and shoes destroyed, urinating & defecating in the house), why it's hard to fix, and what we (the company) can do for you & how.

Clicks and leads were very cheap. The hardest thing I found was actually getting people to commit to training (it's expensive, after all) but if you respond quickly and get a conversation with them you'll close at least a few of them.

Customers know nothing about the dog training industry, certifications, any of that. They know what a vet is, and that's it. At most a customer will know that they don't want to shock or hit their dog. That's about it.

It might be easier to make a lot of money selling board & train programs even though I don't think they work lol. Maybe they would work if you also had them do weekly coaching & homework & you helped them structure an environment that's good for dogs. Board & trains you can charge a lot for.

Barkbusters has an interesting business model, it's a franchise that basically sells the right to use their training programs & lead generation campaigns.

Hope this helps

REV5028

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
275%
Oct 29, 2022
New Mexico
Start with the end result. Generally people seek out dog professionals when they have a problem with their dog.

A year ago I ran lead generation campaigns for a dog training company. The format was very simple: Google ads for a specific dog problem (let's say separation anxiety), then a simple landing page elucidating what it feels like to have that problem (dog scratching at the door when you're gone, loud noises pissing off the neighbors, furniture and shoes destroyed, urinating & defecating in the house), why it's hard to fix, and what we (the company) can do for you & how.

Clicks and leads were very cheap. The hardest thing I found was actually getting people to commit to training (it's expensive, after all) but if you respond quickly and get a conversation with them you'll close at least a few of them.

Customers know nothing about the dog training industry, certifications, any of that. They know what a vet is, and that's it. At most a customer will know that they don't want to shock or hit their dog. That's about it.

It might be easier to make a lot of money selling board & train programs even though I don't think they work lol. Maybe they would work if you also had them do weekly coaching & homework & you helped them structure an environment that's good for dogs. Board & trains you can charge a lot for.

Barkbusters has an interesting business model, it's a franchise that basically sells the right to use their training programs & lead generation campaigns.

Hope this helps
Thanks for sharing! That's definitely very helpful.

I also don't think board and train programs work well because people are too far removed from the process. I would consider one that operates kind of like you suggest - somehow having people more involved. I'm also not sure this would be the wisest move for me just yet since I'm still so new to business. But something to keep in mind for sure.

I've never heard of Barkbusters - I'll have to check them out. Thanks again!

amp0193

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
442%
May 27, 2013
United States
You might want to connect with @biophase .

He rescues dogs and donates millions through his business to shelters all over the country.

Also, I've got a lab/pitt mix that we adopted. She is a cuddlebug, and great with my kids, but loses her F*cking mind in only one situation: if another dog is being walked on the same street past us (also barks like crazy from the backyard gate at any dog walking in front of our house).

It was so extreme, I just gave up on walking her for like a year (which I regret). She's older now, and we're walking again, and her behavior is not quite as severe, but still bad enough, that I will literally do a 180 if I see another dog coming our way (which isn't often at 6am)

I don't know how much I would pay to fix this problem, but it's definitely a small pain point in my life.

Last edited:

REV5028

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
275%
Oct 29, 2022
New Mexico

He rescues dogs and donates millions through his business to shelters all over the country.
I knew he rescued dogs, but I had no idea he was that involved. That's beyond awesome. Thanks for sharing that! I will have to try connecting with him.

biophase

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
474%
Jul 25, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ

Also, I've got a lab/pitt mix that we adopted. She is a cuddlebug, and great with my kids, but loses her F*cking mind in only one situation: if another dog is being walked on the same street past us (also barks like crazy from the backyard gate at any dog walking in front of our house).

It was so extreme, I just gave up on walking her for like a year (which I regret). She's older now, and we're walking again, and her behavior is not quite as severe, but still bad enough, that I will literally do a 180 if I see another dog coming our way (which isn't often at 6am)

I don't know how much I would pay to fix this problem, but it's definitely a small pain point in my life.
@amp0193 My dog is like yours. I recently tried a shock collar and it has worked magic. I was against them before but honestly a little shock is probably a lot less harmful compared to a prong collar or martingale and all the neck yanking.

And yes I tested the collar out on myself first to see how it felt. I genuinely think a zap is much better than a leash yank.

REV5028

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
275%
Oct 29, 2022
New Mexico

Just saw your updated post. It seems like you have a work around that works fairly well for you, though maybe not perfect. What would a perfect walk with your dog look like to you?

Have you worked with trainers before, or have you tried things from social media, books, shows, etc. that just didn't work?

@amp0193 My dog is like yours. I recently tried a shock collar and it has worked magic. I was against them before but honestly a little shock is probably a lot less harmful compared to a prong collar or martingale and all the neck yanking.

And yes I tested the collar out on myself first to see how it felt. I genuinely think a zap is much better than a leash yank.
So far I've been against shock collars as well, though I have some clients asking about just using the beep function. I will never recommend a prong collar, and my usual recommendation is actually a harness. I've found that collars create a lot of frustration that can make the pulling and choking themselves worse. Gentle leaders worked well, but it was more of a learned helplessness and they'd be right back to pulling once on any other kind of lead. But the harness with a couple of simple techniques has worked really well so far.

What kind of things did you try before the shock collar? Were the issues you're having with your current dog issues you've had with previous dogs?

heavy_industry

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
555%
Apr 17, 2022
I rescued my adult male Rottweiler, Klaus.
He had some major issues
extreme reactivity to other dogs
he even bit one in the face
he broke out of my apartment
smashed one of my car windows
1712419436502.png

But, alas, I'm not a vet, nor a nutritionist, nor a certified behaviorist, nor certified anything.
The amount of real value you provide to your customers is more important than your job title or formal qualifications.

Results speak louder than diplomas or certificates.

Awesome to see that you've got the ball rolling!

Keep it up @REV5028

REV5028

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
275%
Oct 29, 2022
New Mexico

biophase

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
474%
Jul 25, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ
So far I've been against shock collars as well, though I have some clients asking about just using the beep function.
The vibrate function worked on my dog in 2 trys. He still listens to it mostly, but if the stimulus is too great, I need to use the shock.

I will never recommend a prong collar, and my usual recommendation is actually a harness. I've found that collars create a lot of frustration that can make the pulling and choking themselves worse.
The harness doesn't work for my dog. He pulls too much. He will pull people to the ground. With the prong, he doesn't pull as hard.

The prong plus the shock, he's behaves very well. Most times, you don't even need to use the shock. He knows it's on him so he behaves. The vibrate function works really well.

It's like a little kid that knows you can't get really mad in the store, so he misbehaves because you don't have control. With the shock collar on, my dog knows I can discipline him from 100 feet away. So he listens to me even when off leash. You know how you tell a dog to come back and he just casually comes back and doesn't come back in a straight line, stopping to sniff everything? With the collar on, my dog comes back quick and straight. LOL

REV5028

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
275%
Oct 29, 2022
New Mexico
The vibrate function worked on my dog in 2 trys. He still listens to it mostly, but if the stimulus is too great, I need to use the shock.

The harness doesn't work for my dog. He pulls too much. He will pull people to the ground. With the prong, he doesn't pull as hard.

The prong plus the shock, he's behaves very well. Most times, you don't even need to use the shock. He knows it's on him so he behaves. The vibrate function works really well.

It's like a little kid that knows you can't get really mad in the store, so he misbehaves because you don't have control. With the shock collar on, my dog knows I can discipline him from 100 feet away. So he listens to me even when off leash. You know how you tell a dog to come back and he just casually comes back and doesn't come back in a straight line, stopping to sniff everything? With the collar on, my dog comes back quick and straight. LOL
It seems you've found tools and techniques that you're comfortable using and that seem to work for you. I've found less forceful and invasive techniques to work incredibly well, though requiring a bit more patience and persistence than most of us might be willing to provide up front, especially with reactivity and leash pulling. I've only worked with ~25 dogs though, so there are plenty of situations I haven't encountered yet and there's still much to learn.

biophase

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
474%
Jul 25, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ
It seems you've found tools and techniques that you're comfortable using and that seem to work for you. I've found less forceful and invasive techniques to work incredibly well, though requiring a bit more patience and persistence than most of us might be willing to provide up front, especially with reactivity and leash pulling. I've only worked with ~25 dogs though, so there are plenty of situations I haven't encountered yet and there's still much to learn.
I have a belgian malinois that is kind of stubborn. :)

amp0193

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
442%
May 27, 2013
United States
Have you worked with trainers before, or have you tried things from social media, books, shows, etc. that just didn't work?

I have done nothing except swapped attaching the leash to the collar to the underside of a harness instead. I can better control her and she’s stopped pulling except for during extreme stimulus (other dog walking).

I haven’t even Googled it yet. What should I try first?

Perfect walk would be where she does like my other dog does and just ignores other people’s dogs.

REV5028

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
275%
Oct 29, 2022
New Mexico
I have done nothing except swapped attaching the leash to the collar to the underside of a harness instead. I can better control her and she’s stopped pulling except for during extreme stimulus (other dog walking).

I haven’t even Googled it yet. What should I try first?

Perfect walk would be where she does like my other dog does and just ignores other people’s dogs.
If you were my client I would suggest something along the lines of first working on your communication with her. Instead of focusing on the problem of her lunging at other dogs, focus on getting her to look to you for instruction on what to do. For that to happen you need to be the most interesting, best thing ever and it needs to be rewarding to her to listen to you. The simplest and most rewarding solution is to use high quality treats (think hotdogs, rotisserie chicken, etc.). You call her name, she looks at you and sustains eye contact, give a treat. Don't make her sit or do anything else. Literally just reward her for looking at you when you say her name. Even better, reward her also when she looks at you on her own without her name being used and when she comes over to you (this is rewarding her for checking in with you). At first she may only hold your gaze for a literal half-second. That's fine. You will gradually be able to increase the time between looking and giving a treat. Repeat this over and over for a few days, starting in a low-energy situation (like at home when things are chill). Don't use the treat to lure her attention to you though. Most dogs pick up on this within the first day, but to really solidify it, do it for 3-5 days as much as you can in low-energy situations. Then start doing the name-look-treat exercise while you're out on a walk and there are no triggers. At this stage I would continue doing the 180 if you saw a dog coming. Do this exercise until she is looking at you at least 99% of the time you say her name. Once you have that down (it might take a week or two), then try gradually getting closer to other dogs before turning her away (turn as soon as she stops responding to her name; this is when reacting to the other dog becomes more "rewarding" than getting a treat). You'll get a feel for her threshold. Another key point is to keep her moving physically. Don't try to get her to sit and wait calmly as the other dog passes. Keep her moving forward, because ultimately that's what you want her to do in these situations. The whole process might take a month or two (though usually less for most dogs, but I have seen it take longer for some), especially as you start getting into more stimulating situations, but I've found the patience, practice, and persistence to pay off long run. Eventually you won't need the treats and it will just become habit to look to you and walk past other dogs. Hope this helps - happy to chat more if you'd like.

amp0193

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
442%
May 27, 2013
United States
Amazing. I’ll try that and report back.

My wife did some of this a couple of years ago, but it was too inconsistent. I made her sit and wait earlier this week, sounds like the exact wrong thing.

She’s weirdly inconsistent though. We walked past another dog this morning, and although highly interested, didn’t do high pitched bark/whine/yell or pull like she usually does. Just kept walking, but turned her head a lot. I was sure to give her a lot of verbal praise for it but will be sure to have treats on our walks going forwards.

REV5028

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
275%
Oct 29, 2022
New Mexico
She’s weirdly inconsistent though. We walked past another dog this morning, and although highly interested, didn’t do high pitched bark/whine/yell or pull like she usually does. Just kept walking, but turned her head a lot. I was sure to give her a lot of verbal praise for it but will be sure to have treats on our walks going forwards.
That's great! I have a feeling she will respond well to the treats then since she's not always reacting at a level 10 crazy. Please do keep in touch on how it goes!

REV5028

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
275%
Oct 29, 2022
New Mexico
I feel like a lot has happened in the last almost two weeks, so I'll post this mid-month update.

On April 5th I gave a free seminar to ~10 people, mostly current clients of mine. It went really well and most of them seemed really excited. It was the first time I had presented the whole dog-training-as-a-lifestyle to them. One person joined my waitlist for the whole lifestyle plan package (mostly for the diet aspect, I think). I also got some great feedback. It seems the most-wanted services are a puppy-playdate finder, quarterly seminars, and a newsletter.

I created two membership subscriptions on my website. The first at $5/month for 2 newsletters/mo, early email announcements, and access to updated reference and resource lists. The second at $10/month for all the same things but add in the puppy-playdate finder. I haven't advertised it or announced it yet as my website is getting cluttered and I need to reorganize/simplify it. I should also have a few newsletters written and ready to go ahead of people signing up...

I raised my hourly rate to $50/hour. I have two new clients scheduled at this price for this weekend, which has me pleasantly surprised given my town and surrounding area. Seems I'm getting a new call or message almost every day or two now rather than once a week or two, and a lot of people are hearing about me by word of mouth - I guess people are saying good things!

Along with simplifying my website this weekend I plan to start trying my hand at some Google Ads (thanks again @Andy Black !), though I'm feeling nervous at the potential for success - I'm already overwhelmed with everything on my plate, but at some point I'm going to have to take the uncomfortable leap and leave my 9-to-5.
I'll try to take some sage advice I recently got:
1) keep it simple ( thanks, @Andy Black )
2) focus on the problems you currently have, not the ones you don't have yet ( thanks, @heavy_industry )

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
369%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
I feel like a lot has happened in the last almost two weeks, so I'll post this mid-month update.

On April 5th I gave a free seminar to ~10 people, mostly current clients of mine. It went really well and most of them seemed really excited. It was the first time I had presented the whole dog-training-as-a-lifestyle to them. One person joined my waitlist for the whole lifestyle plan package (mostly for the diet aspect, I think). I also got some great feedback. It seems the most-wanted services are a puppy-playdate finder, quarterly seminars, and a newsletter.

I created two membership subscriptions on my website. The first at $5/month for 2 newsletters/mo, early email announcements, and access to updated reference and resource lists. The second at $10/month for all the same things but add in the puppy-playdate finder. I haven't advertised it or announced it yet as my website is getting cluttered and I need to reorganize/simplify it. I should also have a few newsletters written and ready to go ahead of people signing up...

I raised my hourly rate to $50/hour. I have two new clients scheduled at this price for this weekend, which has me pleasantly surprised given my town and surrounding area. Seems I'm getting a new call or message almost every day or two now rather than once a week or two, and a lot of people are hearing about me by word of mouth - I guess people are saying good things!

Along with simplifying my website this weekend I plan to start trying my hand at some Google Ads (thanks again @Andy Black !), though I'm feeling nervous at the potential for success - I'm already overwhelmed with everything on my plate, but at some point I'm going to have to take the uncomfortable leap and leave my 9-to-5.
I'll try to take some sage advice I recently got:
1) keep it simple ( thanks, @Andy Black )
2) focus on the problems you currently have, not the ones you don't have yet ( thanks, @heavy_industry )
Congrats on your progress. Do more of what's generating local awareness.

Consider making it a free newsletter initially, and don't say how often it will be or get too specific about what it contains? That way you can test different things out and find out what people really want?

I didn't to see the point of free newsletters until recently, but now I see them as a way of creating a simple value exchange. You send emails that link to social media posts and subscribers get free information and you get initial traction on those social media posts.

For your Google Ads campaigns, just start with a low budget of $5/day or even less.

Start with buying search terms such as "dog trainer <cityname>".

Then later maybe try another campaign for info-seekers where people can signup to your free newsletter.

Don't overcomplicate the landing page. Start simple.

I posted to LinkedIn about my initial simple newsletter signup page just yesterday:

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
369%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
Sage advice from @heavy_industry

"Overthinking is the art of solving problems you don't have."

I don't know if you ever watched this @REV5028 :

REV5028

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
275%
Oct 29, 2022
New Mexico
Oh and I almost forgot. Someone from the local trap and release organization called to ask if I'd like to participate in an adoption event in May. I'll have a table there along with a local groomer and a couple of other animal advocacy groups. Possibly the local vets and shelter. In addition to accepting the invite, I offered to help organize it.

My partner also made me window decals for my car's back window - "Dog Training," my phone number, and my logo.

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
369%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
Oh and I almost forgot. Someone from the local trap and release organization called to ask if I'd like to participate in an adoption event in May. I'll have a table there along with a local groomer and a couple of other animal advocacy groups. Possibly the local vets and shelter. In addition to accepting the invite, I offered to help organize it.

My partner also made me window decals for my car's back window - "Dog Training," my phone number, and my logo.
Love this! Make friends, build relationships, create win-wins.

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
369%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
One of your "unfair advantages" over huge brands and big influencers is you're local. Lean into that.

Be the person that enables all the other dog owners and service providers to connect and form a community?

Maybe create a local Facebook page and accompanying newsletter where you let people know about local events, news, meet ups, etc?

You don't need to ask for permission to do this, you just start and stay consistent. Tag other businesses and their events and they'll start reposting/sharing your posts.

Direct your 1-2-1 clients to your page and newsletter. Direct all those free webiner attendees to them as well.

When you send email issues put info into it and link to posts on your Facebook page.

Start by promoting the heck out of that adoption event you're going to? Help them get more publicity, sponsors, attendees, etc. It's such a worthy casue who wouldn't want to share that event to their own Facebook friends?

Think about the Facebook page name and newsletter name. Maybe give a nod to your city or county, and something dog related? Make it something people would proudly wear a t-shirt or bumper sticker about. Rachel Miller talks about this. One of her Facebook pages was called "Crazy Cat Moma" for example. So when people shared a post from her page they were proudly identifying as a Crazy Cat Moma.

I live in County Kildare here in Ireland. Maybe I'd just call it Kildare Dog Lovers or something similar, although that's a bit boring.

REV5028

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
275%
Oct 29, 2022
New Mexico
Maybe create a local Facebook page and accompanying newsletter where you let people know about local events, news, meet ups, etc?
We have a few town Facebook pages. Some of them have strict rules about business use. A couple of them are for local small business, but they aren't very active. Perhaps if I made one the difference would just need to be me keeping it active.

Start by promoting the heck out of that adoption event you're going to? Help them get more publicity, sponsors, attendees, etc. It's such a worthy casue who wouldn't want to share that event to their own Facebook friends?
The lady who reached out to me has been out of town this past week, but she did mention something about getting flyers together. I didn't want to step on her toes, so I haven't done much advertising of the event yet, but will touch base with her in the next few days to see where I can help next (I still need to keep up my word on contacting a few places).

Think about the Facebook page name and newsletter name. Maybe give a nod to your city or county, and something dog related? Make it something people would proudly wear a t-shirt or bumper sticker about. Rachel Miller talks about this. One of her Facebook pages was called "Crazy Cat Moma" for example. So when people shared a post from her page they were proudly identifying as a Crazy Cat Moma.

I live in County Kildare here in Ireland. Maybe I'd just call it Kildare Dog Lovers or something similar, although that's a bit boring.
I was thinking my newsletter could be something like the "Paw Parent Press" and then maybe the Facebook page could be "Paw Parents of Socorro"? Could get tricky though because cats also have paws. I'll have to keep thinking.

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
369%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
We have a few town Facebook pages. Some of them have strict rules about business use. A couple of them are for local small business, but they aren't very active. Perhaps if I made one the difference would just need to be me keeping it active.

The lady who reached out to me has been out of town this past week, but she did mention something about getting flyers together. I didn't want to step on her toes, so I haven't done much advertising of the event yet, but will touch base with her in the next few days to see where I can help next (I still need to keep up my word on contacting a few places).

I was thinking my newsletter could be something like the "Paw Parent Press" and then maybe the Facebook page could be "Paw Parents of Socorro"? Could get tricky though because cats also have paws. I'll have to keep thinking.
Try ChatGPT. It's good for coming up with suggestions and one may help you come up with something.

For instance, one of the newsletter names it suggested was The Socorro Bark.

REV5028

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
275%
Oct 29, 2022
New Mexico
Try ChatGPT. It's good for coming up with suggestions and one may help you come up with something.

For instance, one of the newsletter names it suggested was The Socorro Bark.
Thanks for that suggestion! I use chatGPT often enough, should have thought of it.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.