The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

The Market DOESN'T CARE About Your Bloody Passion

A detailed account of a Fastlane process...

SBS.95

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
261%
Oct 14, 2012
Pennsylvania
I know this point has been reiterated over and over, and the idea of the general slowlane population ever accepting is absurd, but Ima rant anyway.

Lots of people here probably read http://www.smartpassiveincome.com/

For those that don't, Pat is an online entrepreneur who makes his living through online passive income. Though a lot of his income comes through SPI, if you check his earning reports, his other niche sites/earning sources still in earn $10,000+ every month.

His newest experiment is starting a website in the food truck niche. Now if you read his blog you'll know that he knows nothing about food trucks, all he noticed was that it was under-served and very little content/info for people. So he went around to a bunch of different food truck owners and asked them about their needs/problems/resources they wish they had. And though his website is still in its toddler stages, it will probably go on to be a success as well.

The other day I was reading another entrepreneur blog and saw someone poke fun at SPI and the food truck website. They said something along the lines of "This clown is making money talking about damn food trucks, I want to do a blog about something I'm passionate about like making money."

I repeat:
Someone that is not making money, wants to make a blog about making money. Because that's "his passion".

Now I've got no problem starting a blog about your personal finance/income journey. I've got one myself, as a side pet project to share my thoughts/share progress. But the idea that the market should start catering to me, and giving me their money just because I'm writing about something enjoyable is selfish insanity.

The reason the food truck website is going to be successful is because it fills a legitimate void in the marketplace. So what if you're not passionate about food trucks? Do you think the owners of Exxon or any other gasoline company are "passionate" about fossil fuels? Of course not, but they enjoy the money they make a lot more.

/rant

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
447%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Rep transferred. :cigar:

Iwokeup

Aut viam invenium aut faciam
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
283%
May 23, 2014
The East Coast
I know this point has been reiterated over and over, and the idea of the general slowlane population ever accepting is absurd, but Ima rant anyway.

Lots of people here probably read http://www.smartpassiveincome.com/

For those that don't, Pat is an online entrepreneur who makes his living through online passive income. Though a lot of his income comes through SPI, if you check his earning reports, his other niche sites/earning sources still in earn $10,000+ every month.

His newest experiment is starting a website in the food truck niche. Now if you read his blog you'll know that he knows nothing about food trucks, all he noticed was that it was under-served and very little content/info for people. So he went around to a bunch of different food truck owners and asked them about their needs/problems/resources they wish they had. And though his website is still in its toddler stages, it will probably go on to be a success as well.

The other day I was reading another entrepreneur blog and saw someone poke fun at SPI and the food truck website. They said something along the lines of "This clown is making money talking about damn food trucks, I want to do a blog about something I'm passionate about like making money."

I repeat:
Someone that is not making money, wants to make a blog about making money. Because that's "his passion".

Now I've got no problem starting a blog about your personal finance/income journey. I've got one myself, as a side pet project to share my thoughts/share progress. But the idea that the market should start catering to me, and giving me their money just because I'm writing about something enjoyable is selfish insanity.

The reason the food truck website is going to be successful is because it fills a legitimate void in the marketplace. So what if you're not passionate about food trucks? Do you think the owners of Exxon or any other gasoline company are "passionate" about fossil fuels? Of course not, but they enjoy the money they make a lot more.

/rant
This reminds me of people telling me (as a doctor) that I don't know anything, that they "know their body" better than anyone, and that I "need to do everything" for them, when doing everything would be actively harmful.

Great post man.

profitgrowth

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
295%
May 15, 2013
Toronto, Canada
No one care about you, your passion, your anything. "What is in for me" is the name of the game. I would rather have business that I am not passionate about but it makes money then one that I am passionate about with no money. Passion fuels through full stomach :)

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
369%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
Last edited by a moderator:

SBS.95

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
261%
Oct 14, 2012
Pennsylvania

mememan

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
37%
Oct 16, 2013
Yeah, except we're in month 2 I think on FoodTruckr and it made a whooping $118.73. FoodTruckr is slick as all hell and has a top-level internet blogger/personality on it, but it's barely making anything. Food for thought that making money online isn't easy (duh), but I think several months of minimal earnings and lots of effort and expense are a pretty good moat if the site ever does take off. Then again, I have no idea who is wanting to jump into the continual work of actually operating a food truck. Seems like going from a pain in the a$$ job to a pain in the a$$ business venture to me.

SBS.95

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
261%
Oct 14, 2012
Pennsylvania
Yeah, except we're in month 2 I think on FoodTruckr and it made a whooping $118.73. FoodTruckr is slick as all hell and has a top-level internet blogger/personality on it, but it's barely making anything. Food for thought that making money online isn't easy (duh), but I think several months of minimal earnings and lots of effort and expense are a pretty good moat if the site ever does take off. Then again, I have no idea who is wanting to jump into the continual work of actually operating a food truck. Seems like going from a pain in the a$$ job to a pain in the a$$ business venture to me.

I don't know how closely you've been following it, but he's only just started to experiment with monetizing. He even made a post about the first $3 it earned when ads got put up. If I was a betting man, I'd put my money on Pat for this one. I didn't think people were looking around online for information on passing exams about building Earth-friendly buildings, and yet he's making $50,000+ annually in passive income from that website.

Let's be real- $118.73 isn't a lot of money, but you're acting like 2 months is a lot of time for determining a business's success. I see you're an INSIDERS, did you happen to catch MJ's most recent call? We got to hear from Chickenhawk who wrote for 7 years before experiencing the success she has now. Perhaps she'll tell us how much money she made in her first 2 months, I'd be willing to bet Pat's Foodtruckr earnings are pretty close to that.

Mattie

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
129%
May 28, 2014
U.S.
If you didn't have passion for making money you wouldn't be here, now would you! lol Your passion is for money, or otherwise you wouldn't be reading a blog you're ranting about. You wouldn't be in fastlane period, because if you didn't have the passion you would be a sidewalker. lol Just saying! Side walkers, and slow laners you're basically saying don't have the passion to be a fast laner. It's how bad do you want it? What will you do to get there? How passionate are you anyway to be that fast laner! lol

G

GuestUser113

C04tB9Y.png

PeeVee

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
217%
Dec 17, 2013
Minneapolis, MN
No one care about you, your passion, your anything. "What is in for me" is the name of the game. I would rather have business that I am not passionate about but it makes money then one that I am passionate about with no money. Passion fuels through full stomach :)
Don't focus so much on the money. Focus on how you can help others and the money will follow. I agree with the passion part.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.