The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

The only way to actually guarantee to lose weight

Roli

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
161%
Jun 3, 2015
You’re telling me…

That if someone sets a weight limit that goes down two lbs every week.

And doesn’t eat food unless they weigh under that amount.

They will end up gaining weight?

Dumbest shit I’ve heard today

You're very aggressive, how's that going for you in real life?

What I was saying (which you'd understand if you took a moment) was that for most people starving themselves doesn't work, because they feel hungrier than usual so will end up eating more in the long run.

If losing weight were as simple as not eating and setting weight limits, there would be no obesity problems in the wolrd.

In the meantime, chill the F*ck out.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Roli

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
161%
Jun 3, 2015
I weigh myself on Thursdays and Fridays only and record whatever is the lowest number.

Sometimes there's been a 3/4 pound difference in one day and I didn't even fast.

Probably something to do with water retention, are you eating salty foods on either of those days?

Paul David

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
198%
Feb 17, 2015
England
Probably something to do with water retention, are you eating salty foods on either of those days?

You're probably right but I tend to eat the same food Monday -Thursday.

Johnny boy

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
635%
May 9, 2017
Washington State
You're very aggressive, how's that going for you in real life?

What I was saying (which you'd understand if you took a moment) was that for most people starving themselves doesn't work, because they feel hungrier than usual so will end up eating more in the long run.

If losing weight were as simple as not eating and setting weight limits, there would be no obesity problems in the wolrd.

In the meantime, chill the F*ck out.
It is simple as not eating lol wut

Roli

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
161%
Jun 3, 2015
You're probably right but I tend to eat the same food Monday -Thursday.

Yeah, it could be a few reasons, I'm guessing water because that has the most immediate effect on your weight. You can see this when fighters cut weight by dehydrating themselves. They can lose 15 lbs in a few days by restricting their liquid intake. So 3/4 lbs in a day is entirely possible.

Are you trying to lose weight at the moment?

Matt Sun

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
247%
Oct 21, 2017
Argentina
Doing this you can get the scale down, you can also lack an essential micro nutrient like Vitamin C and get scurvy or other disease.

I mean this 100% likely works, for a time, because your caloric balance it's at a deficit, but it's far from being the optimal way when we have apps that give you details of macro/micro nutrition of each thing you eat and we have food scales.

Sure if you eat at restaurants all the time is difficult to track, if you make your own food and weight it, not at all.

Also restaurants are full of oils to make it more tasty and ends up being very caloric. And they try to save costs on ingredients to increase margins so you over pay for worst quality food.

My method: is for example yesterday I ate 2000kcal which is around maintenance if I don't move at all and lay on the couch the whole day. Then I went to the gym and also made like 20 000 steps according to my iphone. Today I have visible less fat than yesterday. I'm doing this until 8-10% body fat which I'm getting closer than I ever been in my whole life.

Edit: Added photo to show Im not a fat a$$ giving this advice lol

Attachments

• IMG_6108.jpeg
    IMG_6108.jpeg
    187 KB · Views: 21
Last edited:

Paul David

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
198%
Feb 17, 2015
England
Yeah, it could be a few reasons, I'm guessing water because that has the most immediate effect on your weight. You can see this when fighters cut weight by dehydrating themselves. They can lose 15 lbs in a few days by restricting their liquid intake. So 3/4 lbs in a day is entirely possible.

Are you trying to lose weight at the moment?

Ideally I'd like to be around 9 pound less. So whilst I'm "trying to lose weight" I'm not doing any mad fad diets. I simply walk 10k-15k steps a day and skip breakfast. I still eat Crisps and chocolate every day.

It seems to work for me unless I have a heavy weekend involving alcohol. The weekend just gone I drank on Saturday and Sunday, yesterday I ate shit all day because of it. So the rest of this week now back to my normal intake will probably get me down to what I was last Friday.

I find it easier to lose weight if there's something specific coming up like a trip away. I'm going to Spain in 6 weeks with my friends for 4 nights, I'll easily lose the 9 pound before that.

Alcohol I find is the biggest issue for weight. Even the day after a drinking the night before I won't do my 10k steps.

Panos Daras

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
148%
Oct 10, 2022
All diets work. It is about calories in versus calories out. However, let's take a hard look at the data and cut the crap. Based on the available research, people who lose weight and manage to keep it off for the long term follow three main habits:

1) They weigh themselves regularly.
2) They exercise regularly.
3) They perform some sort of portion control.

This is what you need to solve. Find something that works for you and create a process that suits your needs. The diet that fits you is the one you can follow for the rest of your life.

MitchC

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
293%
Mar 8, 2014
Australia
All diets work. It is about calories in versus calories out. However, let's take a hard look at the data and cut the crap. Based on the available research, people who lose weight and manage to keep it off for the long term follow three main habits:

1) They weigh themselves regularly.
2) They exercise regularly.
3) They perform some sort of portion control.

This is what you need to solve. Find something that works for you and create a process that suits your needs. The diet that fits you is the one you can follow for the rest of your life.
Yeah I wasn’t going to post anything serious in this thread because I thought it was a bit of fun and everyone’s so sensitive about their particular diet but I may as well share my experience and it’s exactly what you said

I decided to lock in and take it seriously around the start of this year and I’ve been consistent since

How I did it:
Journaled and tracked every day how I went
Particularly where I went wrong
And then adjusted based on where and why I went wrong
I now have a diet that fits my macros and is super easy to follow and is delicious
I won’t share it here because it’s irrelevant and the cultists will get upset but it’s all whole foods, it’s all delicious, and it’s all easy to prepare

Johnny boys diet will work but is impossible for most people to actually stick to, and you’d be hungry because you aren’t getting the right macros

The things where I found I was going wrong are

Not having your food planned for the day so you end up eating whatever when you get hungry
Not having the food at home ready to cook
Not eating before you get to the point of starving where you are likely to go for something quicker and easier
Having a diet that you don’t actually like eating. There is no reason or need to eat food you don’t like.
Not making it easy.

By eating the same thing every day or same macros every day, and weighing yourself every day you can adjust based on what’s happening

You also get a feel for what you should be eating looks like and can eat out reasonably easily with a little planning earlier in the day

So yeah, everyone in this thread and the world has enough knowledge on what they should do, but we don’t

The key for me was doing the journaling daily to figure out why I wasn’t doing it, and then make adjustments to prevent that from happening

It was actually shocking how fast I was able to get the routine dialed in and consistent once I started doing that

Panos Daras

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
148%
Oct 10, 2022
Yeah I wasn’t going to post anything serious in this thread because I thought it was a bit of fun and everyone’s so sensitive about their particular diet but I may as well share my experience and it’s exactly what you said

I decided to lock in and take it seriously around the start of this year and I’ve been consistent since

How I did it:
Journaled and tracked every day how I went
Particularly where I went wrong
And then adjusted based on where and why I went wrong
I now have a diet that fits my macros and is super easy to follow and is delicious
I won’t share it here because it’s irrelevant and the cultists will get upset but it’s all whole foods, it’s all delicious, and it’s all easy to prepare

Johnny boys diet will work but is impossible for most people to actually stick to, and you’d be hungry because you aren’t getting the right macros

The things where I found I was going wrong are

Not having your food planned for the day so you end up eating whatever when you get hungry
Not having the food at home ready to cook
Not eating before you get to the point of starving where you are likely to go for something quicker and easier
Having a diet that you don’t actually like eating. There is no reason or need to eat food you don’t like.
Not making it easy.

By eating the same thing every day or same macros every day, and weighing yourself every day you can adjust based on what’s happening

You also get a feel for what you should be eating looks like and can eat out reasonably easily with a little planning earlier in the day

So yeah, everyone in this thread and the world has enough knowledge on what they should do, but we don’t

The key for me was doing the journaling daily to figure out why I wasn’t doing it, and then make adjustments to prevent that from happening

It was actually shocking how fast I was able to get the routine dialed in and consistent once I started doing that
Amazing process. It's well thought out and well-designed.

The only thing I would add is that, from my experience, foods and recipes high in fiber and protein, low in calories, and tasty make the nutrition process easier.

If everything is working for you, though, I wouldn't change anything. You've got this!

Subsonic

How you do anything is how you do everything
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
287%
Aug 16, 2022
Germany
I'm trying this.

Abs need to be there in 2 months and I haven't gotten anywhere with calorie counting recently.

FYI I only eat unprocessed food. Either I just suck at eating my way or I have 2 pack genes and won't get more abs than I have now.

AceVentures

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
407%
Apr 16, 2019
Eat whole foods .
Only eat when the sun is up.
Spend plenty of time outside.
Walk every day.

After a few weeks evaluate whether weight going up or down. If up, eat a couple fewer eggs or one less banana or less potatoes than usual or any other item you want to reduce. Reevaluate within another couple of weeks and adjust accordingly.

Or you can cycle between smashing in-n-out burgers on one day and starving yourself the next.

NewManRising

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
144%
Oct 30, 2017
Los Angeles
It's calories in vs calories out. Simple as that. Of course, the quality of your food matters for overall health. I've lost over 100 lbs just tracking calories and being more active.

Calculate your BMR. Then consume slightly less calories each day.

Ex: Your BMR is 2500 calories. Eat 2300 daily.

Over time the weight comes off. You can adjust your calories higher or lower depending on how your body is responding and how much you want to lose. Your activity level matters too. If you're sedentary then stick to your numbers. If you work a highly active job, you can make more adjustments because you burn more energy.

In general, aiming to lose a half pound a week is ideal.

Johnny boy

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
635%
May 9, 2017
Washington State
It's calories in vs calories out. Simple as that. Of course, the quality of your food matters for overall health. I've lost over 100 lbs just tracking calories and being more active.

Calculate your BMR. Then consume slightly less calories each day.

Ex: Your BMR is 2500 calories. Eat 2300 daily.

Over time the weight comes off. You can adjust your calories higher or lower depending on how your body is responding and how much you want to lose. Your activity level matters too. If you're sedentary then stick to your numbers. If you work a highly active job, you can make more adjustments because you burn more energy.

In general, aiming to lose a half pound a week is ideal.
You can’t tell me how many calories you burned yesterday.

You can’t tell me exactly how many calories you ate yesterday.

Make believe BS.

The scale is the scale.

I can tell you I weighed 198.5 lbs at 8am today and be absolutely correct.

“How well your body is responding”

Oh you mean by stepping on the scale lmao

It’s too arbitrary, too easy to cheat and rationalize. If it worked, great. But it’s too easy to cheat.

Last edited:

NewManRising

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
144%
Oct 30, 2017
Los Angeles

Make believe BS.

The scale is the scale.

It’s too arbitrary, too easy to cheat and rationalize. If it worked, great. But it’s too easy to cheat.
You don't know what you're talking about. I can definitely count and estimate calories. Calories are on labels and over time you don't need to look at them. And if you're active, you don't even need to calculate things accurately anymore because you know you've burned more than you ate. It becomes intuitive.

I scale is just a measuring tool. But only for weight. That is why some people take body measurements, measure strength, measure V02 Max, and so on. Fitness and health is more than just what a weight scale says.

NewManRising

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
144%
Oct 30, 2017
Los Angeles

Make believe BS.

The scale is the scale.

I'm also guessing you've been the same size your whole life and you already know how much you can eat. This isn't the same for others. Unless you began eating twice what you normally do, you would not get fat or gain weight.

I know a lot of guys like you, you have been roughly the same size their whole life and have eaten a certain amount of food your whole life. People like you can't and don't overeat.

It's pretty simple how some people get fat. They take in more calories than they need and it is stored as extra weight. Then you need more calories to maintain that BMR. So people stay fat or gain even more weight. It's very simple science.

Also, weight gain and loss is a highly mental and emotional game. Some people deal with stress by eating. Maybe this isn't a problem for you. Maybe you deal with stress differently. Maybe you never really dealt with something extremely stressful that caused you to gain 50+ lbs.

I suspect you are talking about things you don't know about. Like I said, I've known guys like you who've never struggled with weight issues and your weight and eating portions remain pretty constant throughout your life. Same as your activity level. In this case, someone like you would not need to watch the scale or their food portions closely.

This is why you can get on a scale and and you don't see swings in your weight. You don't have to watch the scale closely or what you eat. Another way you can tell if you're getting fat or leaner is by how your clothes fit. But I don't think you have this problem.

Johnny boy

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
635%
May 9, 2017
Washington State
You don't know what you're talking about. I can definitely count and estimate calories. Calories are on labels and over time you don't need to look at them. And if you're active, you don't even need to calculate things accurately anymore because you know you've burned more than you ate. It becomes intuitive.

I scale is just a measuring tool. But only for weight. That is why some people take body measurements, measure strength, measure V02 Max, and so on. Fitness and health is more than just what a weight scale says.
Okay tell me exactly how many calories you burnt yesterday as well as exactly how many you ate.

Supa

Came for the $. Stayed for the Ice Cream.
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
286%
May 27, 2015
Germany
The only way I have found, over the years and from lots of research, to lose a big amount of weight and sustain your weight loss process over several months, for some maybe even years depending on how much you want to lose, is this simple one line:

Stay at a caloric deficit and do sport.

Of course you can add many things to that, like
  • weight yourself every day
  • stay hydrated
  • look for where you get your calories from
  • and more
And it doesn't matter to know your exact calories you have consumed/burned. Get your maintenance calories, what you burn on most days and stay roughly 500 calories below it. If you do that long enough, you will lose weight. And add sport to burn even more calories and form your body, and feel good in it.

Everything else, like fasting, can help with that, but usually it does that by ... you guessed it ... making it easier to stay in a caloric deficit.

You could only do it by using your scale - though most of the time it highly fluctuates due to your water intake and other variables - but at the end of the day, what that does is ... you create a caloric deficit by starving yourself until the next time you step on the scale.

Don't get me wrong, that will probably work for many - if you only want to do that in the short term to lose a few pounds. But it's probably not sustainable over the long term for those that want to lose a lot of weight - for a similar reason why short-term diets fail and only lifestyle changes work over the long term.

Johnny boy

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
635%
May 9, 2017
Washington State
Room temperature IQ’s here.

Not a single person here can say how many calories they ate and burnt yesterday.

“It’s all about the calories”

I agree, and since you can’t count them, or measure things accurately, or be sure to include everything, then you’re just guessing and it’s bullshit.

How many calories is in your chipotle burrito bowl?

Because when I go, I get like 50% fluctuations in the size of the portions.

Which size did they use for measuring the calories?

It’s all bullshit.

How many calories did you burn on your run yesterday?

“Well, it says on my Apple Watch..”

BULLSHIT.

You say you should shoot for a 500 calorie deficit…

Your margin of error is probably 700 calories.

So it’s all bullshit.

Too brain dead to understand this basic concept.

Johnny boy

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
635%
May 9, 2017
Washington State
Nice, list out all of the food and amounts you ate to come up with 2222.

Also, list out how you calculated that you burnt 2881. And please prove how you know each activity was measured and how you know your metabolism is burning exactly this amount of calories, and you aren’t just relying on a general measurement method that’s applied as a blanket measurement for all people.

At the end your only argument will be “oh yeah? It worked! So I’m right!”

That isn’t the argument here. You can both lose weight and gain weight this way. Because the numbers are BULLSHIT.

There is only one diet strategy that cannot be cheated, and cannot fail if followed. You cannot strictly follow a calories in, calories out diet strategy, and nobody does. It’s full of cheating and fuzzy numbers.

Supa

Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
286%
May 27, 2015
Germany
Room temperature IQ’s here.

Not a single person here can say how many calories they ate and burnt yesterday.

“It’s all about the calories”

I agree, and since you can’t count them, or measure things accurately, or be sure to include everything, then you’re just guessing and it’s bullshit.

How many calories is in your chipotle burrito bowl?

Because when I go, I get like 50% fluctuations in the size of the portions.

Which size did they use for measuring the calories?

It’s all bullshit.

How many calories did you burn on your run yesterday?

“Well, it says on my Apple Watch..”

BULLSHIT.

You say you should shoot for a 500 calorie deficit…

Your margin of error is probably 700 calories.

So it’s all bullshit.

Too brain dead to understand this basic concept.

Then it's probably a user problem, not a system problem.

I mean... if your tracker says 400 calories for a portion and you think it's more, just ... add a higher number? No big deal, right?

And while I agree that you can't be 100% accurate, you can hit 80-90% pretty consistently, especially if you view it over a longer period of time and not just one single F*cking day.

But all that said, if someone wants to starve themselves until the scale shows the weight they want to see (forget water weight, right?), go for it. If someone wants to stay in a caloric deficit by learning about what the food they usually consume roughly has in calories and use that to stay in a caloric deficit, add some sport, and can maintain that over months if not years, go for that. In the end both lose weight due to a caloric deficit. So, why not let everyone do what works for them?

Roli

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
161%
Jun 3, 2015
Ideally I'd like to be around 9 pound less. So whilst I'm "trying to lose weight" I'm not doing any mad fad diets. I simply walk 10k-15k steps a day and skip breakfast. I still eat Crisps and chocolate every day.

It seems to work for me unless I have a heavy weekend involving alcohol. The weekend just gone I drank on Saturday and Sunday, yesterday I ate shit all day because of it. So the rest of this week now back to my normal intake will probably get me down to what I was last Friday.

I find it easier to lose weight if there's something specific coming up like a trip away. I'm going to Spain in 6 weeks with my friends for 4 nights, I'll easily lose the 9 pound before that.

Alcohol I find is the biggest issue for weight. Even the day after a drinking the night before I won't do my 10k steps.

I think our genetics are fairly similar in that we have fairly quick metabolisms. So what works for me is HIT training, sometimes as little as 15 minutes per day. I use my interval timer and set it for 30 seconds of work and 20 seconds of rest. Beforehand I get into a cold bath for a couple of mins. After 6 weeks of this I'm ripped, then after a few months I get bored and my abs disappear again.

Solution Buz

PARKED
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
May 13, 2024
I think to loose weight , you need to make a mind set. burn the fat calory and also maintain the food time. eat much calory will not help you to loose your weight. I maintain my daily routine, like sleep, eating time, work time, playing time. And I happy to my Body .

Matt Sun

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
247%
Oct 21, 2017
Argentina
Nice, list out all of the food and amounts you ate to come up with 2222.

Also, list out how you calculated that you burnt 2881. And please prove how you know each activity was measured and how you know your metabolism is burning exactly this amount of calories, and you aren’t just relying on a general measurement method that’s applied as a blanket measurement for all people.

At the end your only argument will be “oh yeah? It worked! So I’m right!”

That isn’t the argument here. You can both lose weight and gain weight this way. Because the numbers are BULLSHIT.

There is only one diet strategy that cannot be cheated, and cannot fail if followed. You cannot strictly follow a calories in, calories out diet strategy, and nobody does. It’s full of cheating and fuzzy numbers.

Captura de pantalla 2024-05-22 a la(s) 9.29.32 a. m..png

Idk why you think is so impossible to measure this. Of course there is margin of error, maybe my deficit wasn't 659 calories but just 400 or maybe it was 800, I'm still directionally right and getting results and also make sure to get all my micro nutrients.

heavy_industry

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
567%
Apr 17, 2022
Yes, because the human body is not a F*cking combustion engine in which you just add fuel and it gets "burned".

Digestion and metabolism are insanely complex biochemical processes.

Ultimately, it's energy in vs energy out (not calories) - but good luck trying to calculate this, as there are at least 10-20 key variables in this equation.

You will need to lock yourself in a controlled environment and use medical-grade equipment to be able to measure the amount of energy that gets out of your body in a 24-hour span.

Counting steps with your shitty watch and apps is preposterous. It's like trying to measure the weight or volume of a building by looking at it.

It's pretty simple how some people get fat. They take in more calories than they need and it is stored as extra weight.
Actually, it's not.

We have no idea what causes obesity.

You can have two different people following the same "caloric" guidelines, eating the exact same things in the same amounts, and following the same exercise protocol.

One becomes diabetic and morbidly obese, while the other one remains lean and athletic, and all the "excess calories" get instantly released as thermal energy - without getting stored as fat.

The human metabolism is an order of magnitude more complex than "eat less, exercise more", and we're just starting to scratch the surface with our current scientific understanding of this matter.

Regarding weight loss...

This should never be the goal lol. It's the opposite of what you want.

Good health = gaining as much weight as humanly possible while keeping your visceral fat levels to nearly 0.

Strength, muscle mass, and good bone density are highly correlated with (if not causal to) improved lifespan, health span, and even neurological function.

Forget about the scale and buy a F*cking mirror and a tape measure:
  • The mirror must say 10%-15% body fat for men (20% for women)
  • Use the tape measure and make sure the circumference of your waist stays the same or goes down over time - that's where the visceral fat is stored, the toxin-releasing endocrine organ that is slowly killing you from the inside.

Last edited:

Supa

Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
286%
May 27, 2015
Germany
Yes, because the human body is not a F*cking combustion engine in which you just add fuel and it gets "burned".

Digestion and metabolism are insanely complex biochemical processes.

Ultimately, it's energy in vs energy out (not calories) - but good luck trying to calculate this, as there are at least 10-20 key variables in this equation.

You will need to lock yourself in a controlled environment and use medical-grade equipment to be able to measure the amount of energy that gets out of your body in a 24-hour span.

Counting steps with your shitty watch and apps is preposterous. It's like trying to measure the weight or volume of a building by looking at it.

Actually, it's not.

We have no idea what causes obesity.

You can have two different people following the same "caloric" guidelines, eating the exact same things in the same amounts, and following the same exercise protocol.

One becomes diabetic and morbidly obese, while the other one remains lean and athletic, and all the "excess calories" get instantly released as thermal energy - without getting stored as fat.

The human metabolism is an order of magnitude more complex than "eat less, exercise more", and we're just starting to scratch the surface with our current scientific understanding of this matter.

Regarding weight loss...

This should never be the goal lol. It's the opposite of what you want.

Good health = gaining as much weight as humanly possible while keeping your visceral fat levels to nearly 0.

Strength, muscle mass, and good bone density are highly correlated with (if not causal to) improved lifespan, health span, and even neurological function.

Forget about the scale and buy a F*cking mirror and a tape measure:
  • The mirror must say 10%-15% body fat for men (20% for women)
  • Use the tape measure and make sure the circumference of your waist stays the same or goes down over time - that's where the visceral fat is stored, the toxin-releasing endocrine organ that is slowly killing you from the inside.

I agree with you. There's a lot more to gaining/losing weight than simply calories in/calories out.

On the other hand though, if someone wants to lose weight, especially a rather big amount of weight in a healthy long term type of way, trying to stay in a caloric deficit and doing sport will most likely help them to achieve that.

I think this discussion has derailed a bit into a black or white type of argument.

IMO it doesn't have to be an either/or thing.

Why not engage in the simple (but still hard to consistently do) process of staying in a caloric deficit and doing sport AND adding more depth to it - like looking into your metabolism, micronutrients, and more - as one sees fit to their specific needs?

Black_Dragon43

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
332%
Apr 28, 2017
‍☠️ Eastern Europe
If I want to lose weight, I just do more physical activity and eat less sweets and smaller portions. I normally eat sweets every day. At least 2-3 ice creams. It's pretty easy though. I never track anything, it just happens.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.