The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Unfair Advantages Don’t Matter - Anyone Can Be Successful

Anything related to matters of the mind

Black_Dragon43

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
332%
Apr 28, 2017
‍☠️ Eastern Europe
read "The Unfair Advantage" again recently.

What a completely rational, no BS, actionable book. So insanely good.
I’ve just read 1/3 of this book which seems to be quite popular here.

This thread has nothing to do with @mikecarlooch, I’m just quoting his post above because that’s the final straw that made me get the book.

As far as I see, this book is absolute poison for the entrepreneur. It argues against the “myth of meritocracy”, and instead says that success is both a matter of luck and hard work. And the key to using this is tapping into your “unfair advantage”… those circumstantial factors that can’t easily be replicated by others, that are ultimately the effect of luck.

It further argues that keeping the perspective of luck in mind will help you be more compassionate towards the less fortunate, and more compassionate to yourself when things don’t work out.

Suffice to say that for any winner this is absolute poison. First of all, when you fail, you don’t need compassion — you need to fix yourself so you don’t fail again. No excuses.

I don’t tolerate failure of any kind. I don’t need to be compassionate when I fail, I need to be pissed off so that I fix it. This has been the key to my success so far, but I think the two authors of this book, who have written it more to fit into the cultural climate (formed by losers) and promote their own business, would rather tell you that I was blessed with a gigantic IQ, good education, young sexy fit white male, bla bla bla. Furthermore, it seems that the authors have been the beneficiaries of luck themselves — and their own success WAS in fact a matter of luck.

Well, I can’t say that same about my success so far. No luck here — I just forged myself through years of hard work and willingness to do so much work as would be nauseating for the average human being. I recently hired a COO and they were utterly amazed at how much I could do alone. They wouldn’t believe that one person would be able to do the work of several departments at a larger company. It’s just that most people’s standards are so low. And I’m talking about smart people who have leadership positions in some of the largest companies in the world. Their standards are low.

So it’s no wonder if one of those people attains success that they attribute it to luck — because truth be told, if it wasn’t for Lady Fortune they’d be broke. But a real winner will never attribute their success to luck, except maybe as a political move to help losers feel better about themselves.

This is because a real winner is able to identify opportunities and apply tenacity and determination to get what they want. So don’t let anyone tell you that you need “luck” to be successful. It’s a lie, created by those who have never created anything by themselves, and have instead relied on their status, network or connections to achieve whatever fragment of success they have achieved thus far.

What ultimately matters is your work and willingness to succeed. You don’t need any connections, network or whatever “unfair” advantage to succeed. In fact, that’s the beauty of capitalism — you can build yourself from scratch, if you’re willing to outwork your competition and provide real value.

Unfortunately a lot of what passes for success is actually the result of luck — people whose only “merit” is their network and access. Such people aren’t used to hard work, because they’ve never worked hard (although they would consider what they do very hard work). Their success is merely the result of politics — being in the right place at the right time, with the right connections. If you have that, and you apply a non-lazy, average level of work, it’s true that you can be successful. But that’s not a winner. A winner crafts their success by themselves.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

mikecarlooch

Apprentice & Student Of The Game
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
363%
Jan 28, 2022
Florida
@Black_Dragon43 it's nice to hear an opposing perspective on this book, thanks for making this thread.

On this note, what are your thoughts on one of the examples they use in the books, Evan Spiegel, founder of snapchat?

Do you believe snapchat would be what it is today if Evan didn't have the same unfair advantages and serendipity that he did?

Antifragile

Progress not perfection
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
467%
Mar 15, 2018
I highly recommend this book to anyone interested in entrepreneurship. It’s not my top pick, Unscripted by MJ is number 1 and actionable. But Unfair Advantage is definitely on the top 10 list.

Why?

My interpretation is that to succeed in life, it’s ok to lean into things that have been given to you “for free”. Like having two legs helps one become a runner, compared to someone with no legs.

Most of all, and this is why I’m responding to this thread:

You manufacture conditions in life to improve odds of luck. Follow known principles of success for business, the odds of being successful can become amazing high.

Ironically, @Black_Dragon43 you missed the part that you attending school in UK, speaking perfect English is YOUR unfair advantage you used to now brag about how successful you are. You seem content to use it without giving credit to your parents and Lady Luck … odds of you posting here if you were born in the poorest village of Afghanistan and being a woman… you get my point, I hope.

Regardless, as is typical we disagree. That’s why this place exists… to talk about different perspectives and hopefully learn to be able to succeed.

I recommended this book to @mikecarlooch and felt it important that I respond here.

Black_Dragon43

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
332%
Apr 28, 2017
‍☠️ Eastern Europe
On this note, what are your thoughts on one of the examples they use in the books, Evan Spiegel, founder of snapchat?
I will answer based only on the story as recounted in the book, as I’ve never read about Evan. That + you rarely hear the real truth, you usually only hear the version of the story that the startup founder and his PR team have chosen to create.

Do you believe snapchat would be what it is today if Evan didn't have the same unfair advantages and serendipity that he did?
No. But then based on the story in the book I can’t say I admire Evan or look up to him in any way. Due to my intellectual abilities, I was placed into a school for the elite — people who were inifinitely richer than anybody I ever knew personally, I’m talking about net worths of $100M+. I know how these kids are. And what they’re usually capable of. Which is not much. If I had even 1% (perhaps even 0.1%) of the resources they had access to I would have conquered the world already by now. So yeah, obviously in that sense you will get farther with resources and unfair advantages than without, but… is that your merit? That’s ultimately what matters and what you’ll be judged for.

Black_Dragon43

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
332%
Apr 28, 2017
‍☠️ Eastern Europe
Ironically, @Black_Dragon43 you missed the part that you attending school in UK, speaking perfect English is YOUR unfair advantage you used to now brag about how successful you are. You seem content to use it without giving credit to your parents and Lady Luck … odds of you posting here if you were born in the poorest village of Afghanistan and being a woman… you get my point, I hope.
Sure, but these aren’t the reason for my success. If I could transport the same mindset and attitudes and implant them into an African kid in a village with a stable family, I would be just as successful compared with the standard relevant in Africa of course.

The point here is that we’re not independent of our environment. That’s true. But take a hard working peak performer from one environment to another environment that’s more restrictive and they will still be successful relative to the environment they find themselves in.

Isaac Odongo

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
240%
Nov 7, 2022
Uganda
It’s a lie, created by those who have never created anything by themselves, and have instead relied on their status, network or connections to achieve whatever fragment of success they have achieved thus far.
I haven't read the book but one time I will read it. Right now something else is gnawing away at my mind.

@Black_Dragon43 seems to be saying hardwork in the right direction and right things precedes luck. I have a sort dislike for the word and meaning of luck. Correct me if I am misquoting.

But I currently find myself in a situation where only tenacity will keep me going. Yet I must be careful that I am unlike Jay Gatsby who hang on to a dream too long.

@Antifragile seems to be saying some things we possess put us at an advantage. And that's what it seems the book is saying too. Correct me if I am misquoting.

I fail to see what disagreement comes in here for.

@Black_Dragon43 tells us his unfair advantage is his intelligence. He also adds that his hardwork propels him at stratospheric speeds. I may be overstating here.

But I wish to add that claiming advantaged people aren't necessarily good enough is mistaken and so is claiming that the hard fighters better.

Subsonic

How you do anything is how you do everything
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
287%
Aug 16, 2022
Germany
I’ve just read 1/3 of this book which seems to be quite popular here.

This thread has nothing to do with @mikecarlooch, I’m just quoting his post above because that’s the final straw that made me get the book.

As far as I see, this book is absolute poison for the entrepreneur. It argues against the “myth of meritocracy”, and instead says that success is both a matter of luck and hard work. And the key to using this is tapping into your “unfair advantage”… those circumstantial factors that can’t easily be replicated by others, that are ultimately the effect of luck.

It further argues that keeping the perspective of luck in mind will help you be more compassionate towards the less fortunate, and more compassionate to yourself when things don’t work out.

Suffice to say that for any winner this is absolute poison. First of all, when you fail, you don’t need compassion — you need to fix yourself so you don’t fail again. No excuses.

I don’t tolerate failure of any kind. I don’t need to be compassionate when I fail, I need to be pissed off so that I fix it. This has been the key to my success so far, but I think the two authors of this book, who have written it more to fit into the cultural climate (formed by losers) and promote their own business, would rather tell you that I was blessed with a gigantic IQ, good education, young sexy fit white male, bla bla bla. Furthermore, it seems that the authors have been the beneficiaries of luck themselves — and their own success WAS in fact a matter of luck.

Well, I can’t say that same about my success so far. No luck here — I just forged myself through years of hard work and willingness to do so much work as would be nauseating for the average human being. I recently hired a COO and they were utterly amazed at how much I could do alone. They wouldn’t believe that one person would be able to do the work of several departments at a larger company. It’s just that most people’s standards are so low. And I’m talking about smart people who have leadership positions in some of the largest companies in the world. Their standards are low.

So it’s no wonder if one of those people attains success that they attribute it to luck — because truth be told, if it wasn’t for Lady Fortune they’d be broke. But a real winner will never attribute their success to luck, except maybe as a political move to help losers feel better about themselves.

This is because a real winner is able to identify opportunities and apply tenacity and determination to get what they want. So don’t let anyone tell you that you need “luck” to be successful. It’s a lie, created by those who have never created anything by themselves, and have instead relied on their status, network or connections to achieve whatever fragment of success they have achieved thus far.

What ultimately matters is your work and willingness to succeed. You don’t need any connections, network or whatever “unfair” advantage to succeed. In fact, that’s the beauty of capitalism — you can build yourself from scratch, if you’re willing to outwork your competition and provide real value.

Unfortunately a lot of what passes for success is actually the result of luck — people whose only “merit” is their network and access. Such people aren’t used to hard work, because they’ve never worked hard (although they would consider what they do very hard work). Their success is merely the result of politics — being in the right place at the right time, with the right connections. If you have that, and you apply a non-lazy, average level of work, it’s true that you can be successful. But that’s not a winner. A winner crafts their success by themselves.
I personally haven't read it but I will take the wisdom that it's always good to play to my strengths.
I got a great knack for language. Typically that would be a meh talent for business but when leveraged right it's amazing.
Code is language.
Sales is language.
Leadership is language...

Cleaning windows conversely is not language, hence it was the wrong vehicle.

I agree with your point that working hard is everything in the end, though I choose to take what I feel serves from everywhere.

The believe that I can accomplish anything with hard work serves me.
The believe that my talent for language will allow me to be great at the aforementioned things also serves me.

P.s. I think about that talent because I got a Iq test and that was the only area I scored in the 0.1th percentile.

mikecarlooch

Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
363%
Jan 28, 2022
Florida
The thought that it is OK to lean into your advantages makes it easier to become an entrepreneur. If I have money, it's an advantage, use it. You don't need start at zero because you are not at zero.
This concept from the book really helped me in making some big life decisions.

For example, I've recently decided I'm going to move and pursue college classes part-time (but mostly self-education) to build a specialized skill that will be useful for being able to bootstrap business ventures.

I used to feel like it would be a totally entitled thing to use the 529 fund (a fund specifically for college) that my grandmother put aside for my brother and I to go to college, so I never thought about using it.

But after reading the book, I see it as an unfair advantage.

I get to go immerse myself inside something important and build a specialized skill that will allow me to pair a fastlane mindset with technical skills (which I do not currently have), totally debt free and free of charge, including housing, I get to meet great people who I may recruit, socialize, uncover needs & test ideas, and all the great things that come with living near a college.

Instead of seeing it as an entitlement, I now view it as something to take advantage of and not squander while I am young.

It made me realize, there is nothing wrong with privileges, as long as you don't take them for granted.

Johnny boy

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
635%
May 9, 2017
Washington State
It's the same reason you don't see 5'3" jewish guys in the NBA

Or Donald Trump pursuing a fitness influencer career.

Or the top male model in the world, Sean O'Pry, trying to code an app

Or me trying to become a singer.

God put you here to be the best version of what you could be.

You have a stack of natural skills and things that are easy for you.

There are conditions that are unique to your life that other people do not have access to.

Leverage your strengths to get massive results, and become the greatest version of yourself that you can be.

This is how you take a billion options and narrow it down to a handful that you will have the most success at.

It still comes down to hard work to determine where on that range you will fall.

If I had even 1% (perhaps even 0.1%) of the resources they had access to I would have conquered the world already by now.

That's the point. You didn't. (you also don't know that, maybe you would've grown up to be a lazy trust fund shit-head anyways).

You should use your competitive advantages, leverage them as much as possible, apply an incredible amount of hard work, and that is how you'll end up among the top 0.01% of people. If you are maximizing your weaknesses, you can still get to the top 2% or so, but that's not what massive success is.

As a college baseball player I remember the amount of effort we all put in. We all woke up at 4am. We all worked out 5 hours a day. We all practiced with ex-major leaguers. We all went to every practice and busted our asses for years. We studied our game, meditated and created routines, and focused all of our energy on being the best. Yes, some worked harder and got better results, but we all got there because of our natural athleticism and some made it on to the next level because they were freaks. I spent a whole year going to a high end facility paying out of pocket just to get my velocity up. Pitching I trained alongside Trever Bauer (cy young winner) and I only got up to the high 80's, not nearly enough to get paid for it. It just wasn't in the cards for me to play at that level even at the best physical condition I could be in. The only possible regret I could have is I could've gone to a better school if I had marketed myself better and got in front of more scouts.

But, when I was in baseball, I was always known as the smart business guy. I was meant to be an entrepreneur because it's who I am.

Now I can stack my natural talents, apply the same work ethic, and make a WHOLE LOT more money, and it feels much easier than trying to get the same results from baseball.

Success itself is still not luck. But obviously you have strengths and weaknesses, and you will get better results magnifying your strengths and applying hard work to them than if you try to swim upstream against your weaknesses.

This has nothing to do with consoling losers and pacifying the masses. It's just logical.

Black_Dragon43

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
332%
Apr 28, 2017
‍☠️ Eastern Europe
But after reading the book, I see it as an unfair advantage.
Well, I think it really depends on what you’re going to do with it.

I got a scholarship to study in the UK because of my results. I chose to study civil engineering because I saw it as both practical and theoretical. @Antifragile would say this is an unfair advantage.

I disagree — most of my time at university was spent doing things other than civil engineering (ie, freelancing). Why?

Because you can’t do much by yourself with civil engineering until you become a chartered engineer, and I had no interest working for someone else.

I see the years of college as wasted time, pretty much. So far from being an unfair advantage, it turned out to be an unfair disadvantage. And what about now? What can I do with my civil engineering degree? Nothing! I honestly don’t even know that I have it… it’s never helped me do anything.

Which goes to show that it’s not enough for you to have access to something others don’t — that something must also be aligned with your goals/values. It I could go back in time, I’d skip college/university entirely — indeed, skipping would be my unfair advantage!

Also regarding the specialized skill — do I really have a specialized skill at the end of 4 years? I don’t think so… if I did, I could design and manage projects by myself. I can’t. Therefore the skill isn’t there, I still need to be trained. So it’s very risky to say you get a specialized skill out of university — I have friends who did medicine. They don’t have a specialized skill at the end of university either! Their skill is worthless since they can’t get paid in the open market, they have to get a job with it, and that too starts for terrible pay!

To me, all of this points at the horrendous education system that we have — in 4 years, someone who attends university should be a MASTER in their field. I taught myself copywriting and became a master in 4 years. That’s because I put myself through a really rigorous training regimen. Such a training regimen doesn’t exist in universities. Progress is extremely slow and insignificant.

Last edited:

Antifragile

Progress not perfection
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
467%
Mar 15, 2018
@Black_Dragon43 I feel like you are just arguing for the sake of arguing and mostly with yourself now.

The world is not fair. Plenty of unfair disadvantages & advantages to go around. Message is simple, use whatever is available to you to become better & up the odds of your success. How & why do you even want to argue against this practical advice?

Got money? Great - do something bigger & better.
Got education? Great - lean into whatever you are good at.
Got family connections? Who can you help there to get you further ahead?
Got a bad attitude? … go fix that first :)
I taught myself copywriting and became a master in 4 years.

funny… as I think for your university degree and even prior to that you probably had practice writing. Yet it still took you 4 years to become a copywriter. In the same post you argue that civil engineering should be taught in 4 years to become “master”.
in 4 years, someone who attends university should be a MASTER in their field.
Forgive me if I don’t buy your crappy argument. I want the engineers to be better educated for my real estate projects. Just like I want surgeons to be more than a “biology” undergrad degree “master”.

Read your own stuff again and maybe we once again just agree to disagree and move on?.

Black_Dragon43

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
332%
Apr 28, 2017
‍☠️ Eastern Europe
Read your own stuff again and maybe we once again just agree to disagree and move on?.
My comment wasn't directed at you, I was simply commenting on the fact that what is an unfair advantage doesn't depend solely on circumstances, but also on what your goals and values are. And I gave an example how in my case many people may consider my education to be an unfair advantage, even though it really isn't, because my goals and values aren't aligned with the doors said education opens up. That's all :praise:

G

Guest-5ty5s4

It's the same reason you don't see 5'3" jewish guys in the NBA

Or Donald Trump pursuing a fitness influencer career.

Or the top male model in the world, Sean O'Pry, trying to code an app

Or me trying to become a singer.

God put you here to be the best version of what you could be.

You have a stack of natural skills and things that are easy for you.

There are conditions that are unique to your life that other people do not have access to.

Leverage your strengths to get massive results, and become the greatest version of yourself that you can be.

This is how you take a billion options and narrow it down to a handful that you will have the most success at.

It still comes down to hard work to determine where on that range you will fall.

That's the point. You didn't. (you also don't know that, maybe you would've grown up to be a lazy trust fund shit-head anyways).

You should use your competitive advantages, leverage them as much as possible, apply an incredible amount of hard work, and that is how you'll end up among the top 0.01% of people. If you are maximizing your weaknesses, you can still get to the top 2% or so, but that's not what massive success is.

As a college baseball player I remember the amount of effort we all put in. We all woke up at 4am. We all worked out 5 hours a day. We all practiced with ex-major leaguers. We all went to every practice and busted our asses for years. We studied our game, meditated and created routines, and focused all of our energy on being the best. Yes, some worked harder and got better results, but we all got there because of our natural athleticism and some made it on to the next level because they were freaks. I spent a whole year going to a high end facility paying out of pocket just to get my velocity up. Pitching I trained alongside Trever Bauer (cy young winner) and I only got up to the high 80's, not nearly enough to get paid for it. It just wasn't in the cards for me to play at that level even at the best physical condition I could be in. The only possible regret I could have is I could've gone to a better school if I had marketed myself better and got in front of more scouts.

But, when I was in baseball, I was always known as the smart business guy. I was meant to be an entrepreneur because it's who I am.

Now I can stack my natural talents, apply the same work ethic, and make a WHOLE LOT more money, and it feels much easier than trying to get the same results from baseball.

Success itself is still not luck. But obviously you have strengths and weaknesses, and you will get better results magnifying your strengths and applying hard work to them than if you try to swim upstream against your weaknesses.

This has nothing to do with consoling losers and pacifying the masses. It's just logical.
Johnny, your posts are just gold over and over man! This is so solid. And true. Your journey as an athlete leading to entrepreneurship just makes sense. And it really highlights how we all have to lean into the unique things we are naturally inclined to do (or our "unfair" advantages), and THEN also apply tons and tons of hard work. I believe everyone has at least (1) thing they can identify that's a good starting point for something to go off of.

What is the thing everyone knows you for? Are you the guy who is constantly rattling off numbers? Good singer? Maybe multiple things. Some things translate better into business, serving others, making money than others.

But yeah, let's not discount the majority of the results - which come from planning, execution, and work. What's that phrase... "hard work beats talent when talent fails to work hard"

mikecarlooch

Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
363%
Jan 28, 2022
Florida
Well, I think it really depends on what you’re going to do with it.

I got a scholarship to study in the UK because of my results. I chose to study civil engineering because I saw it as both practical and theoretical. @Antifragile would say this is an unfair advantage.

I disagree — most of my time at university was spent doing things other than civil engineering (ie, freelancing). Why?

Because you can’t do much by yourself with civil engineering until you become a chartered engineer, and I had no interest working for someone else.

I see the years of college as wasted time, pretty much. So far from being an unfair advantage, it turned out to be an unfair disadvantage. And what about now? What can I do with my civil engineering degree? Nothing! I honestly don’t even know that I have it… it’s never helped me do anything.

Which goes to show that it’s not enough for you to have access to something others don’t — that something must also be aligned with your goals/values. It I could go back in time, I’d skip college/university entirely — indeed, skipping would be my unfair advantage!

Also regarding the specialized skill — do I really have a specialized skill at the end of 4 years? I don’t think so… if I did, I could design and manage projects by myself. I can’t. Therefore the skill isn’t there, I still need to be trained. So it’s very risky to say you get a specialized skill out of university — I have friends who did medicine. They don’t have a specialized skill at the end of university either! Their skill is worthless since they can’t get paid in the open market, they have to get a job with it, and that too starts for terrible pay!

To me, all of this points at the horrendous education system that we have — in 4 years, someone who attends university should be a MASTER in their field. I taught myself copywriting and became a master in 4 years. That’s because I put myself through a really rigorous training regimen. Such a training regimen doesn’t exist in universities. Progress is extremely slow and insignificant.
I actually may end up agreeing with you, as my self-education in programming/deep learning is allowing me to move as fast as i want, and work on it for as long as I want.

I don't know what to expect at the college, but I'm sure it won't be completely useless as long as the things being taught in the class are things that can actually be applied to solve real world problems.

However the second I realize something will be a waste of time and won't move me toward my goals like you said, that seems like a sign to drop it immediately.

You don't know till you know I guess

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
448%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
My dad left me when I was 12 years old. Never heard from the guy again.

One could say this made me disadvantaged.

I felt it gave me an advantage, in an odd way.

Bottom line, you might not be able to control your circumstances, but you can control how you think and react to them.

An unfair advantage for one person, might be a disadvantage for another.

ZF Lee

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
180%
Jul 27, 2016
Malaysia

Bottom line, you might not be able to control your circumstances, but you can control how you think and react to them.

In the Unfair Advantage book, it shared that Oprah Winfrey's past history of sexual abuse and family shakeups actually equipped her with much empathy for others.

That was how she could create dead-personal interviews, that encouraged guests to really speak their mind.

Antifragile

Progress not perfection
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
467%
Mar 15, 2018
My comment wasn't directed at you, I was simply commenting on the fact that what is an unfair advantage doesn't depend solely on circumstances, but also on what your goals and values are. And I gave an example how in my case many people may consider my education to be an unfair advantage, even though it really isn't, because my goals and values aren't aligned with the doors said education opens up. That's all :praise:

Appreciate the civil reply. The issue of tagging me and assigning a meaning to what you think I'd consider unfair advantage is you putting words to what I think. Worse yet, it's not true.

I read your post as follows "Mike, don't waste time on a useless degree. I did it, it was a waste for me and while AF thinks it is unfair advantage, it is not".

A few problems:
1. Whether it is waste of time for Mike or not is most visible for mike himself, not your or me.
2. Because your engineering degree was a waste to you, doesn't mean it couldn't be an advantage for someone else who builds a business around that degree.
3. If your degree was a waste to you, I do not think it is an advantage to you at all. Please don't tell me what I think.

That's what's so hard in this discussion. It's a lot of fluff. You are not right but you are not wrong either!

Reminds me of this quote:

“Whether you think you can, or you think you can't--you're right.”​

― Henry Ford

Substitute it to "have unfair advantage" and you got the gist of why this thread is going the way it is going.

I actually may end up agreeing with you, as my self-education in programming/deep learning is allowing me to move as fast as i want, and work on it for as long as I want.

I don't know what to expect at the college, but I'm sure it won't be completely useless as long as the things being taught in the class are things that can actually be applied to solve real world problems.

However the second I realize something will be a waste of time and won't move me toward my goals like you said, that seems like a sign to drop it immediately.

You don't know till you know I guess

Mike,

Watch Steve Job's speech if you haven't yet. I watched it when it just came out and it had a great positive impact on me:

View: https://youtu.be/UF8uR6Z6KLc

Of course this is a powerful excerpt and a great reminder for all of us. Something I want to highlight to Mike - don't listen to me, BD or anyone else. Design your life YOUR way and live it that way.
I am honored to be with you today at your commencement from one of the finest universities in the world. I never graduated from college. Truth be told, this is the closest I've ever gotten to a college graduation. Today I want to tell you.. a story.. from my life. That's it. No big deal....
My story is about death.
When I was 17, I read a quote that went something like: "If you live each day as if it was your last, someday you'll most certainly be right." It made an impression on me, and since then, for the past 33 years, I have looked in the mirror every morning and asked myself: "If today were the last day of my life, would I want to do what I am about to do today?" And whenever the answer has been "No" for too many days in a row, I know I need to change something.
Remembering that I'll be dead soon is the most important tool I've ever encountered to help me make the big choices in life. Because almost everything — all external expectations, all pride, all fear of embarrassment or failure - these things just fall away in the face of death, leaving only what is truly important. Remembering that you are going to die is the best way I know to avoid the trap of thinking you have something to lose. You are already naked. There is no reason not to follow your heart.
About a year ago I was diagnosed with cancer. I had a scan at 7:30 in the morning, and it clearly showed a tumor on my pancreas. I didn't even know what a pancreas was. The doctors told me this was almost certainly a type of cancer that is incurable, and that I should expect to live no longer than three to six months. My doctor advised me to go home and get my affairs in order, which is doctor's code for prepare to die. It means to try to tell your kids everything you thought you'd have the next 10 years to tell them in just a few months. It means to make sure everything is buttoned up so that it will be as easy as possible for your family. It means to say your goodbyes.
I lived with that diagnosis all day. Later that evening I had a biopsy, where they stuck an endoscope down my throat, through my stomach and into my intestines, put a needle into my pancreas and got a few cells from the tumor. I was sedated, but my wife, who was there, told me that when they viewed the cells under a microscope the doctors started crying because it turned out to be a very rare form of pancreatic cancer that is curable with surgery. I had the surgery and I'm fine now.
This was the closest I've been to facing death, and I hope it's the closest I get for a few more decades. Having lived through it, I can now say this to you with a bit more certainty than when death was a useful but purely intellectual concept:
No one wants to die. Even people who want to go to heaven don't want to die to get there. And yet death is the destination we all share. No one has ever escaped it. And that is as it should be, because Death is very likely the single best invention of Life. It is Life's change agent. It clears out the old to make way for the new. Right now the new is you, but someday not too long from now, you will gradually become the old and be cleared away. Sorry to be so dramatic, but it is quite true.
Your time is limited, so don't waste it living someone else's life. Don't be trapped by dogma — which is living with the results of other people's thinking. Don't let the noise of others' opinions drown out your own inner voice. And most important, have the courage to follow your heart and intuition. They somehow already know what you truly want to become. Everything else is secondary.
When I was young, there was an amazing publication called The Whole Earth Catalog, which was one of the bibles of my generation. It was created by a fellow named Stewart Brand not far from here in Menlo Park, and he brought it to life with his poetic touch. This was in the late 1960's, before personal computers and desktop publishing, so it was all made with typewriters, scissors, and polaroid cameras. It was sort of like Google in paperback form, 35 years before Google came along: it was idealistic, and overflowing with neat tools and great notions.
Stewart and his team put out several issues of The Whole Earth Catalog, and then when it had run its course, they put out a final issue. It was the mid-1970s, and I was your age. On the back cover of their final issue was a photograph of an early morning country road, the kind you might find yourself hitchhiking on if you were so adventurous. Beneath it were the words: "Stay Hungry. Stay Foolish." It was their farewell message as they signed off. Stay Hungry. Stay Foolish. And I have always wished that for myself. And now, as you graduate to begin anew, I wish that for you.
Stay Hungry. Stay Foolish. Thank you all very much.

Appreciate MJ popping in to say it another and powerful way:

It is not what happens to you, it's how you react to it that defines your future.

Good luck to all reading this! Take the ideas you like, if those work ... keep them, if they don't - discard and try another.

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
369%
May 20, 2014
Ireland

I know it may be ancient history now but that hits me in the gut. I can't imagine a 12 year old suddenly not seeing their dad again. Sorry you went through that MJ.

ZackerySprague

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
119%
Jun 26, 2021
Fort Worth, Texas
I agree with Andy, sorry about that MJ. No child should ever have to go through that.

My real father abandoned my older sister and myself when I was 3. He also had a child we didn’t know about until 2 years ago from Ancestry. I confronted him about it, he almost nearly 2 years later admitted that my younger sister was indeed his. She has half my genes. My mom and him were split at that time. He was dating a girl named Tina and cheated on her with another girl named Veronica who was the mother of my younger sister and gave her up to the foster-care system when she was three.

My mom always told the story of, you may have a younger brother when we were little and honestly didn’t think it was going to come true, but well it actually did.

I vow to myself to never start a family or do this to my kids ever.

Attachments

• IMG_0616.jpeg
    IMG_0616.jpeg
    143.1 KB · Views: 8
Last edited:

Kak

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
495%
Jan 23, 2011
Texas
If you have an unfair advantage, absolutely use it. If you don’t know, explore it. If you don’t have one, don’t be discouraged. Make one. Unfair advantages were created by someone.

I don’t know why this has to be some kind of controversy.

Black_Dragon43

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
332%
Apr 28, 2017
‍☠️ Eastern Europe
The issue of tagging me and assigning a meaning to what you think I'd consider unfair advantage is you putting words to what I think. Worse yet, it's not true.
You are right, I shouldn't have put it that way. My apologies @Antifragile . I agree with the rest of your post/advice to Mike.

BizyDad

Keep going. Keep growing.
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
419%
Oct 7, 2019
Phoenix AZ

This is the real truth.

REV5028

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
274%
Oct 29, 2022
New Mexico
It made me realize, there is nothing wrong with privileges, as long as you don't take them for granted.
This is something a friend of mine coming to the US from poverty in Mexico gets frustrated about. There are so many more opportunities in the US than in so many other places, yet so many people take it for granted.

What an awful thing to go through, MJ. I'm glad you made the best of it.

Your comments (and others in this thread) remind me of a Chinese Proverb that goes something like this (full article here):

A farmer and his son had a beloved stallion who helped the family earn a living. One day, the horse ran away and their neighbors exclaimed, “Your horse ran away, what terrible luck!” The farmer replied, “Maybe so, maybe not. We’ll see.”

A few days later, the horse returned home, leading a few wild mares back to the farm as well. The neighbors shouted out, “Your horse has returned, and brought several horses home with him. What great luck!” The farmer replied, “Maybe so, maybe not. We’ll see.”

Later that week, the farmer’s son was trying to break one of the mares and she threw him to the ground, breaking his leg. The villagers cried, “Your son broke his leg, what terrible luck!” The farmer replied, “Maybe so, maybe not. We’ll see.”

A few weeks later, soldiers from the national army marched through town, recruiting all the able-bodied boys for the army. They did not take the farmer’s son, still recovering from his injury. Friends shouted, “Your boy is spared, what tremendous luck!” To which the farmer replied, “Maybe so, maybe not. We’ll see.”

Roli

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
161%
Jun 3, 2015
I try not to think about luck, because mine is usually bad.

I tell myself over and over, to put myself into situations where I might be "lucky" and that's as far as my thinking goes.

I know I was lucky to be born into the UK, even though like MJ my dad pissed off when I was young (5) and even though we were relatively poor for a UK family (Mum often went without food so I could eat), going back to Lagos opened my eyes to the fact we were globally quite rich.

The problem with subtle bits of luck like where you were born, or being physically able, is the luck isn't always so apparent, which I'm guessing the book is about.

As I said I've always considered myself unlucky, I'm the guy who gets on or off trend at the perfectly wrong time. For instance my doomed import business went wrong at a time Bitcoin was beginning to rise. I had spent the last six months convincing my friends to buy Bitcoin.

The business, folded, my beloved sister died, meaning I needed cash and fast. I sold my 2.1 Bitcoin to help pay bankruptcy and funeral fees. I got $1800 total. Just a month later Bitcoin was $18,000 each a couple of months after that it briefly hit $60,000. This is the story of my life.

One day I watched the Derren Brown show on the anatomy of luck and he demonstrated that lucky people were generally more positive than unlucky people and put themselves in potentially lucky situations more than their unlucky counterparts.

I kept trying to tell myself I was lucky and putting myself out there, but stuff like the early Bitcoin sell keeps happening to me. So these days I just try and ignore it and keep struggling on.

One day I'll have a success and I'll say to myself "man, I'm one lucky s.o.b."

P3HSB

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
199%
Sep 27, 2014
Los Angeles, CA

When your so down below and your back is against the wall , you have nothing to lose.

and everything to gain...! gem.JPG

Roli

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
161%
Jun 3, 2015

I have and it mirrors my sentiments exactly. You have to ignore luck on your way up and recognise it when you get to the top.

Careful though, someone posted it on here before and everyone and his dog (apart from you and yours) gave him a super hard time for simply posting this. Thus ironically proving one of the points of the video, that successful people do not like to recognise the luck that helped them get where they are.

I'm releasing my book next month, hopefully I'll be lucky enough that my meagerly funded marketing campaign gets some traction and the right person/people read it and it blows up.

If not, I'll try and be lucky with the next one, or the one after that, or after that.....

REV5028

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
274%
Oct 29, 2022
New Mexico
I try not to think about luck, because mine is usually bad.

I tell myself over and over, to put myself into situations where I might be "lucky" and that's as far as my thinking goes.

I know I was lucky to be born into the UK, even though like MJ my dad pissed off when I was young (5) and even though we were relatively poor for a UK family (Mum often went without food so I could eat), going back to Lagos opened my eyes to the fact we were globally quite rich.

The problem with subtle bits of luck like where you were born, or being physically able, is the luck isn't always so apparent, which I'm guessing the book is about.

As I said I've always considered myself unlucky, I'm the guy who gets on or off trend at the perfectly wrong time. For instance my doomed import business went wrong at a time Bitcoin was beginning to rise. I had spent the last six months convincing my friends to buy Bitcoin.

The business, folded, my beloved sister died, meaning I needed cash and fast. I sold my 2.1 Bitcoin to help pay bankruptcy and funeral fees. I got $1800 total. Just a month later Bitcoin was $18,000 each a couple of months after that it briefly hit $60,000. This is the story of my life.

One day I watched the Derren Brown show on the anatomy of luck and he demonstrated that lucky people were generally more positive than unlucky people and put themselves in potentially lucky situations more than their unlucky counterparts.

I kept trying to tell myself I was lucky and putting myself out there, but stuff like the early Bitcoin sell keeps happening to me. So these days I just try and ignore it and keep struggling on.

One day I'll have a success and I'll say to myself "man, I'm one lucky s.o.b."
Keep on moving forward. Your hardships and struggles will shape you in spectacular ways that you probably won't realize or understand for years to come. Seems like you already practice a great deal of gratitude and have an empathetic view on luck. That's worth a lot in my book. Speaking of books, I'd be interested in checking yours out when it's ready.

Roli

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
161%
Jun 3, 2015
Keep on moving forward. Your hardships and struggles will shape you in spectacular ways that you probably won't realize or understand for years to come. Seems like you already practice a great deal of gratitude and have an empathetic view on luck. That's worth a lot in my book. Speaking of books, I'd be interested in checking yours out when it's ready.

Thank you!

I do indeed try and practice gratitude at least a couple of times a week, I find if I don't, I start to spiral into depression.

My first book is a work of fiction about a savant poker player with synaesthesia. I'll ping you a copy when it's ready. Also I've got an interesting non-fiction (different pen name) in the works. I think/hope it will do well on here and should resonate with a few peeps.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.