The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Vegan / Vegetarians Only (Chat about lifestyle, opportunities, food, whatever...)

MTF

Never give up
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
455%
May 1, 2011
Understandable!
This is what my diet mainly consists of:

• peanut butter
  • almond butter
  • sweetcorn tinned
  • cherry tomatoes
  • spring onion
  • noodles
  • onions
  • sweet potatoes
  • couscous
  • red kidney beans
  • tinned tom
  • rice (basmati)
  • pasta
  • ginger
  • garlic
  • carrots
  • tofu
  • mango
  • spinach
  • lettuce
  • kale
  • broccoli
  • avocado
  • bananas
  • lemons
  • nuts (almonds, peanuts, walnuts)
  • oats
Things I rarely eat but sometimes have:
Bread
Fake meat stuff (very rarely in reality)

And what about quantities? And any other lifestyle changes you may have made?

KJFast

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
73%
Dec 8, 2023
And what about quantities? And any other lifestyle changes you may have made?
I have 3 meals per day and not massive quantities but more than when I ate meat.

Begun working out more is one lifestyle change. Can’t think of any others, though one thing I thought could be related is the humidity in my house is 70%+ constantly

REV5028

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
273%
Oct 29, 2022
New Mexico
I’m unwell… AGAIN. Since becoming vegan I’ve been ill a lot more, could be a coincidence or another factor possibly but genuinely have been unwell LOADS lately. I feel like this past month or two I’ve either been ill or recovering.

I’ll never stop the vegan lifestyle but is there something I’m possibly missing?
Have you heard of the book "How Not to Die" ? A long-time vegan friend of mine gave it to me a few years ago, but I honestly have yet to read it. However, the author (Michael Greger, MD) shows up in many of the plant-based documentaries out there on Netflix. Might be worth checking out?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

KJFast

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
73%
Dec 8, 2023
Have you heard of the book "How Not to Die" ? A long-time vegan friend of mine gave it to me a few years ago, but I honestly have yet to read it. However, the author (Michael Greger, MD) shows up in many of the plant-based documentaries out there on Netflix. Might be worth checking out?
Funny, it’s on my bookshelf! Appreciate the recommendation, currently reading something though it’s definitely on my list

MTF

Never give up
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
455%
May 1, 2011
Begun working out more is one lifestyle change. Can’t think of any others, though one thing I thought could be related is the humidity in my house is 70%+ constantly

I doubt it's your diet. Maybe you're working out too much and not recovering sufficiently, and that affects your immunity. People who train too hard have weak immune systems.

KJFast

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
73%
Dec 8, 2023
I doubt it's your diet. Maybe you're working out too much and not recovering sufficiently, and that affects your immunity. People who train too hard have weak immune systems.
Possibly, though because of being ill lately I’ve barely worked out at all. Maybe there’s just viruses going around because loads of people seem to be ill too.

Going to look at that app tracking nutrients

Panos Daras

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
147%
Oct 10, 2022

Attachments

• Screenshot 2024-03-29 at 16.35.47.png
    Screenshot 2024-03-29 at 16.35.47.png
    448.7 KB · Views: 14

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah

Matt Sun

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
253%
Oct 21, 2017
Argentina
There is also the How not to die App that can be great to make sure you have a complete plant based nutrition. If you combined with cronometer.com you are on a great path.

@KJFast You could also get supplements like magnesium, creatine, sunshine/vitamin D , CBD oil, do some sort of oxygen therapy such as an hyperbaric chamber, do a high omega 3 meal every day as Bryan Johnson does. I'll be surprised if you do all this and your health doesn't improve.

Panos Daras

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
147%
Oct 10, 2022
There are numerous sources to cite, so let's just focus on the top 5:
A disclaimer most of the data comes from Plant-based meaning that people might indeed eat meat from time to time.

1. https://www.tandfonline.com/doi/full/10.1080/10408398.2021.1918628
  2. A prospective study of healthful and unhealthful plant-based diet and risk of overall and cause-specific mortality - European Journal of Nutrition
  3. https://www.ahajournals.org/doi/10.1161/JAHA.119.012865
  4. https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0002916523048773?via=ihub
  5. Healthy Plant-Based Diets Are Associated with Lower Risk of All-Cause Mortality in US Adults
That being said, you can also find the specific study if you click on "full text"

I have created an overview and a guide on how you can access the studies.

The Consensus app itself has real experts behind it as advisors.
These include Nicholas Christakis, Layne Norton, and Stephen Wolfram.

In my opinion, it is an app/ website that anyone should use as a starting point for their research.

Attachments

• Does plant based diet reduce all cause mortality - 29 Mar 2024.xlsx
    14 KB · Views: 0
  • How to access studies in Consensus.pdf
    1.1 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:

MJ DeMarco

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah

The top rated restaurant is vegan/vegetarian Mexican food.

There is a tremendous opportunity in the plant-based restaurant space, and a lot of your customers don't need to be vegan/vegetarian (just read the reviews of Tumerico.)

1711824758242.png

socaldude

Saturn Sedan and PT Cruiser enthusiast.
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
211%
Jan 10, 2012
San Diego, CA
The top rated restaurant is vegan/vegetarian Mexican food.

There is a tremendous opportunity in the plant-based restaurant space, and a lot of your customers don't need to be vegan/vegetarian (just read the reviews of Tumerico.)

Plant Power Fast Food

I always go this place when I’m craving a “fix”.

Jon822

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
272%
Nov 21, 2016
GLmTflYW4AAKCWT

Matt Sun

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
253%
Oct 21, 2017
Argentina
Been listening quite much to Bryan Johnson lately and I must say eating my last meal earlier in the day has improved my sleep quite substantially. Really cool.

MJ DeMarco

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah

Not sure when drinking the breast milk of another post-natal species became a good idea -- just the thought of it is unfathomable but that's the power of a script that's been around for centuries. Glad I bailed out on dairy more than 10 years ago.

Been listening quite much to Bryan Johnson lately and I must say eating my last meal earlier in the day has improved my sleep quite substantially. Really cool.

My wife and I can confirm this for us as well. My wife is also enrolled in Bryan Johnson's blueprint study, so she's pretty familiar with all his theories/opinions/ideas.

If I eat closer to bedtime, my HRV suffers and I don't recover as well.

BTW: I wear both a Whoop and an Oura (biometric device) and the Whoop is far superior, I likely will be dropping the Oura subscription.

socaldude

Saturn Sedan and PT Cruiser enthusiast.
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
211%
Jan 10, 2012
San Diego, CA

If you ate what the average American eats right before bedtime, it would feel like your heart is gonna pound out of your chest.

Subsonic

How you do anything is how you do everything
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
282%
Aug 16, 2022
Germany
After reading @Spenny 's legendary post I decided to become vegetarian and its been about 2 to 3 months now.

Health wise, I don't really feel any different but moraly it's amazing. Finally, I don't have to rationalize killing innocent animals for "health" or "that'd how it's done".
My dad still can't comprehend this and is continually confused when I turn down grilled steak. Some people just don't change...

Eating is in a way more enjoyable now since limitations fuel creativity. Bean burgers, Asian noodles and tofu döner are some of my favorites.
Additionally I have been experimenting with more types of cheese from a farmers market nearby.

All in all it's been an amazing change and I never felt like I was making a sacrifice.

REV5028

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
273%
Oct 29, 2022
New Mexico
After reading @Spenny 's legendary post I decided to become vegetarian and its been about 2 to 3 months now.

Health wise, I don't really feel any different but moraly it's amazing. Finally, I don't have to rationalize killing innocent animals for "health" or "that'd how it's done".
My dad still can't comprehend this and is continually confused when I turn down grilled steak. Some people just don't change...

Eating is in a way more enjoyable now since limitations fuel creativity. Bean burgers, Asian noodles and tofu döner are some of my favorites.
Additionally I have been experimenting with more types of cheese from a farmers market nearby.

All in all it's been an amazing change and I never felt like I was making a sacrifice.
Congrats on your milestone!

It took most of my family many years to accept my choice to be vegan. Some still don't get it and still try to pick fights about it. It has been 10 years.

I honestly felt the best when I cut out dairy. I felt like I had endless energy for a couple of weeks (then I crashed because I wasn't doing nutrition right). Have you experimented with cutting out dairy?

Sounds like you've found some delicious alternatives

MTF

Never give up
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
455%
May 1, 2011

I don't want to start an entire tirade here but being vegetarian is still morally iffy. You're still contributing to suffering if you eat dairy, eggs, wear leather, etc. I hope it's just the first step and you'll go all the way and convert to veganism.

Before veganism, I had been vegetarian for over 10 years. It took me a long time to discover how much suffering there still is in the dairy industry, etc. The book that made me realize that was How to Go Vegan by Veganuary.

Subsonic

How you do anything is how you do everything
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
282%
Aug 16, 2022
Germany
Congrats on your milestone!

It took most of my family many years to accept my choice to be vegan. Some still don't get it and still try to pick fights about it. It has been 10 years.

I honestly felt the best when I cut out dairy. I felt like I had endless energy for a couple of weeks (then I crashed because I wasn't doing nutrition right). Have you experimented with cutting out dairy?

Sounds like you've found some delicious alternatives

I don't want to start an entire tirade here but being vegetarian is still morally iffy. You're still contributing to suffering if you eat dairy, eggs, wear leather, etc. I hope it's just the first step and you'll go all the way and convert to veganism.

Before veganism, I had been vegetarian for over 10 years. It took me a long time to discover how much suffering there still is in the dairy industry, etc. The book that made me realize that was How to Go Vegan by Veganuary.
I might go towards vegan in the future but for now I stand by my choice.
Eating meat just feels gross to me.
Cheese on the other hand is amazing and I know that dairy and eggs can be farmed ethically. In other words, I could make myself cheese from scratch without getting nightmares, unlike with steak.

90% of the products I buy are (as far as I know) from decent places that give animals enough space outside and don't excessively milk them.

Don't want to change anyone's mind here. This is just my experience and I currently love something that is a million times better than what I did before.

Chances are that in two years I will be looking back at this as a vegan and laugh how I didn't yet enjoy almond milk or something.
Or maybe I'll have a roost of chickens in my garden to take care of.

Spenny

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
385%
Nov 16, 2022
United Kingdom
I might go towards vegan in the future but for now I stand by my choice.
Eating meat just feels gross to me.
Cheese on the other hand is amazing and I know that dairy and eggs can be farmed ethically. In other words, I could make myself cheese from scratch without getting nightmares, unlike with steak.
Congratulations. I'm pleased you've made your choice. As @MTF says, there is a lot of cruelty associated with milk and egg wool. I have second-hand Sherpa jackets and feel a little strange having them.
90% of the products I buy are (as far as I know) from decent places that give animals enough space outside and don't excessively milk them.
The cows & chickens you get your milk & eggs from will be killed far before their natural life since it's not profitable (cows live for 30 years, chickens are 10), an indirect killing will still occur. Chickens can lay profitably for a year, and cows can do about five calf cycles (about five years) until it's not economically feasible. Did they live a good life? I'm sure they did, but I've also lived a good life - I wouldn't want someone to say, "Right, your time is up, time to die. You've lived a good life so far. You've stopped being profitable".
Don't want to change anyone's mind here. This is just my experience and I currently love something that is a million times better than what I did before.
I agree it's far better than before. It's easy to fight amongst ourselves when, in reality, we want to drastically reduce suffering. A reduction is far better than nothing at all. Contributing to none of it is the best.

I can't imagine the pain an animal has to go through to give me my taste buds pleasure, so I don't contribute, but recently, I've been more at odds with second-hand leather and wool. I'm very much into fashion, but I don't know where I stand with second-hand animal clothing.

I feel like it doesn't make a difference. The product has already been made, and I'm continuing to use items that would have otherwise gone to waste. However, I don't want to inspire people to go out and buy new stuff by wearing leather or wool, so even faux leather and wool may be off the menu for me. I'm not sure. Does anyone have any thoughts?

REV5028

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
273%
Oct 29, 2022
New Mexico
Congratulations. I'm pleased you've made your choice. As @MTF says, there is a lot of cruelty associated with milk and egg wool. I have second-hand Sherpa jackets and feel a little strange having them.

The cows & chickens you get your milk & eggs from will be killed far before their natural life since it's not profitable (cows live for 30 years, chickens are 10), an indirect killing will still occur. Chickens can lay profitably for a year, and cows can do about five calf cycles (about five years) until it's not economically feasible. Did they live a good life? I'm sure they did, but I've also lived a good life - I wouldn't want someone to say, "Right, your time is up, time to die. You've lived a good life so far. You've stopped being profitable".

I agree it's far better than before. It's easy to fight amongst ourselves when, in reality, we want to drastically reduce suffering. A reduction is far better than nothing at all. Contributing to none of it is the best.

I can't imagine the pain an animal has to go through to give me my taste buds pleasure, so I don't contribute, but recently, I've been more at odds with second-hand leather and wool. I'm very much into fashion, but I don't know where I stand with second-hand animal clothing.

I feel like it doesn't make a difference. The product has already been made, and I'm continuing to use items that would have otherwise gone to waste. However, I don't want to inspire people to go out and buy new stuff by wearing leather or wool, so even faux leather and wool may be off the menu for me. I'm not sure. Does anyone have any thoughts?
Thank you and @MTF for bringing up the suffering associated with vegetarianism. It was the first thing I thought, but didn't know how to convey it appropriately. Really glad you guys spoke up the way you did.

Every once in a long while someone will give me a gift that contains leather or wool or something like that. I too struggled with having even one such thing in my possession. The first thing that helped me was to think "I understand how horrible this is, which gives me more power and awareness than the average person - I can take care of this better and honor the poor animal better." Secondly, no one is perfect. But the world can be such a better place if we all try to be better, albeit imperfect. As vegans we still contribute to death - commercial agriculture that tills fields will kill mice and voles etc. If we don't buy organic, who knows what kind of pesticides have been used and what that's doing to fish in nearby waterways, not to mention the bees. And if you take antibiotics or medication or drugs of any sort, guess what - your body doesn't absorb all of it and whatever ends up in the toilet will end up somewhere in the environment.

So it has just helped me to do the absolute best that I can and accept that I'm not perfect, but my best is still worth something somewhere.

Last edited:

Spenny

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
385%
Nov 16, 2022
United Kingdom
As vegans we still contribute to death - commercial agriculture that tills fields will kill mice and voles etc. If we don't buy organic, who knows what kind of pesticides have been used and what that's doing to fish in nearby waterways, not to mention the bees. And if you take antibiotics or medication or drugs or any sort, guess what - your body doesn't absorb all of it and whatever ends up in the toilet will end up somewhere in the environment.

So it has just helped me to do the absolute best that I can and accept that I'm not perfect, but my best is still worth something somewhere.
I hear this argument a lot from non-vegans of contributing to death as a vegan, but it is nearly nowhere near as much as eating meat.

Making 1kg of beef generally requires 7kg of grain (soy/wheat/ect). Chickens are far less; if I remember correctly, 1kg of chicken needs 2kg of grain. So, if eating meat needs 2-7x more fields than producing 1kg of grains for my diet, death will scale proportionally. It's a crap argument I've heard a lot. It fails logic, and it's an appeal to futility.

It's easy to slip and say "well nothing matters" and throw the baby out with the bathwater. Veganism is imperfect - nothing is perfect, but I believe it's pretty good solution. What we try to do is reduce unnecessary suffering. We still want to live, we want to be healthy, we don't want to feel guilty for living. Eating is necessary. But when it comes to meat or plants, I'd pick plants because I have to eat something to live - but it's not necessary for me, in a first-world country, to eat a steak. I get my protein, I get my vitamins, I get my calories elsewhere. If I want to eat a burger to satisfy my taste buds, I go buy a meat & cheese alternative that tastes just as good and doesn't make me feel sluggish.

Edit: elaboration of soy --> grains

Last edited:

REV5028

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
273%
Oct 29, 2022
New Mexico
I hear this argument a lot from non-vegans of contributing to death as a vegan, but it is nearly nowhere near as much as eating meat.

Making 1kg of beef generally requires 7kg of soy. Chickens are far less; 1kg of chicken needs 2kg of soy if I remember correctly. So, if eating meat needs 2-7x more fields than producing 1kg of tofu, death will scale proportionally. It's a crap argument I've heard a lot. It fails logic, and it's an appeal to futility.

It's easy to slip and say "well nothing matters" and throw the baby out with the bathwater. Veganism is imperfect - nothing is perfect, but I believe it's pretty good solution. What we try to do is reduce unnecessary suffering. We still want to live, we want to be healthy, we don't want to feel guilty for living. Eating is necessary. But when it comes to meat or plants, I'd pick plants because I have to eat something to live - but it's not necessary for me, in a first-world country, to eat a steak. I get my protein, I get my vitamins, I get my calories elsewhere. If I want to eat a burger to satisfy my taste buds, I go buy a meat & cheese alternative that tastes just as good and doesn't make me feel sluggish.
Exactly. It's the same with the secondhand wool/leather. For now you have a few items and you'll take care of them really really well because of the knowledge and morals you have. And it's much better than buying a new wardrobe full of wool and leather every year.

Plus, I've found that NO ONE looks at what I'm wearing. I had a hand-me-down wool sweater and someone gifted me a leather hand purse/wallet. Do you know how many times someone has said "Hey! The vegan is carrying around a leather purse!" One. And it was another vegan. Most non-vegans don't check labels for food, and much much less check labels for clothing and accessories. You're probably not influencing the people around you in the way you fear you might. And on the rare occasion someone points it out, you have a solid explanation that can educate them.

Timmy C

I Will Not Stop!
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
231%
Jun 12, 2018
Melbourne, Australia

I have been plant based for what seems like a good 4 months now, but I won't go vegan now if ever.

Inspecting everything I interact with daily like a drug addict to see if it has any animal products used/included is such a time sink that I'm not willing to participate in personally.

If I had to guess, I would say my diet is 80 - 90% vegan. I do not eat meat.

I keep it simple, eat plant based and I'm done. I'm not gonna have a heart attack if I find out that one of my products had animal products in it and I didn't know about it.

Last edited:

Spenny

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
385%
Nov 16, 2022
United Kingdom
Inspecting everything I interact with daily like a drug addict to see if it has any animal products used/included is such a time sink that I'm not willing to participate in personally.
I keep it simple, eat plant based and I'm done. I'm not gonna have a heart attack if I find out that one of my products had animal products in it and I didn't know about it.
Looking at the back of packets isn't that hard—it takes 10 seconds, barely a time sink.

Besides, I do it anyway to see the protein levels; I'm accustomed to it!

I also don't freak out if I accidentally buy something with animal products - it recently happened to me, I was annoyed and moved on. I just avoid it consciously.

REV5028

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
273%
Oct 29, 2022
New Mexico
@Spenny speaking of how the average person doesn't think about what goes into products, I just got invited by a friend of 7 years (who is well aware that I'm vegan) to go to a rodeo.

Attachments

• 1000008865.png
    1000008865.png
    129.3 KB · Views: 11

REV5028

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
273%
Oct 29, 2022
New Mexico
I'm at a keynote presentation about water concerns in New Mexico. Every minute that goes by that they don't address animal farming and consumption as a huge driver for all of these problems, my blood boils another degree hotter. Just needed to vent to a group of reasonable people.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.