The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Will AI Build a World of Retards?

Black_Dragon43

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
332%
Apr 28, 2017
‍☠️ Eastern Europe
As AI advances and is able to easily handle matters that people had to handle themselves before, will we breed less capable people?

For example — if you can just ask ChatGPT for the answer, then you don’t need any research skills anymore.

If you can ask ChatGPT for the answer, you don’t need to use your own brain to think anymore.

What effects will this have on people who are simply born into this environment? If you ask me, it will make them less capable and more pampered. They will rarely if ever think for themselves. They will NOT be able to do things that we take for granted today.

Think of what profound damage another technology, namely social media has done. Most people are glued to their screens, they mistake what they see on social media for reality, they’re depressed, and mindlessly scroll.

Sure, fundamentally all these technologies have great potential. But… it’s all about how they’ll be used. And my fear is that it’s easier to appeal to mediocrity than to excellence. And hence what is sold isn’t the discomfort of faster progress, but rather the mediocrity of less and easier work.

As a result the same thing that happened to social media will happen to AI, and it will become a tool to fuel people’s WORST impulses.

Fundamentally it’s not the advances of technology that are the issue, but our inability to educate people so these ever more powerful tools don’t turn against them.

Thoughts?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

heavy_industry

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
564%
Apr 17, 2022
It's already happening. AI is just the next step on the path we've been on for the last 20 years.

Attention span, social skills, critical thinking, academic performance, mental health - have all been steadily dropping worldwide.

We humans are very peculiar creatures.

We have the ability to take any miracle solution given to us by science, and turn it into a big problem.

Our capacity for self-destruction is nearly infinite.

• Modern agriculture -> Endless supply of food -> Obesity crisis
  • Nuclear technology -> Free unlimited energy for everybody -> Weapons of mass destruction :blush:
  • Most complex communication network -> 90% of the traffic is mindless entertainment -> Mental issues
  • Artificial Intelligence -> Cure for cancer -> Write my essay because I'm lazy and stupid

There is a mismatch between our level of intelligence and our wisdom.

EmotionEngine

Silver Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
210%
Sep 15, 2020
United States
The movie Wall-E by Pixar may be prophecy. Human civilization became lazy, forgetful and a shadow of its former self.

wall-e-obese-passengers.jpg

Spenny

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
388%
Nov 16, 2022
United Kingdom
Very interesting thoughts, I do agree it'll make people braindead, but I think it just enables them. If they're not interested in learning, they won't go about doing learning.

It's already happening. AI is just the next step on the path we've been on for the last 20 years.

Attention span, social skills, critical thinking, academic performance, mental health - have all been steadily dropping worldwide.

We humans are very peculiar creatures.

We have the ability to take any miracle solution given to us by science, and turn it into a big problem.

Our capacity for self-destruction is nearly infinite.

• Modern agriculture -> Endless supply of food -> Obesity crisis
  • Nuclear technology -> Free unlimited energy for everybody -> Weapons of mass destruction :blush:
  • Most complex communication network -> 90% of the traffic is mindless entertainment -> Mental issues
  • Artificial Intelligence -> Cure for cancer -> Write my essay because I'm lazy and stupid

There is a mismatch between our level of intelligence and our wisdom.
Yes humans do find ways to destroy themselves, but my God, isn't it beautiful that we have the capabilities to do such good?

• YouTube, social media, Google - learn anything, anywhere, anytime, as long as you have the internet.
  • Modern agriculture - people can order food straight to their door. It's magic.
  • Nuclear tech - mutually assured destruction, i.e I won't invade you so you don't bomb me. Less wars theoretically.
  • 90% is entertainment - fair, but doesn't that show how much we've come to have that luxury?
  • AI - or you get Boston dynamics, making peoples lives better and safer
Conclusion? Double edged sword. People make choices, and live with consequences.

When I get a hammer, it's a tool. If I smack myself in the head, I do not blame the tool, I blame my dumbass.

Last edited:

Happyheart

Bronze Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
147%
Dec 11, 2020
Very interesting thoughts, I do agree it'll make people braindead, but I think it just enables them. If they're not interested in learning, they won't go about doing learning.

Yes humans do find ways to destroy themselves, but my God, isn't it beautiful that we have the capabilities to do such good?

• YouTube, social media, Google - learn anything, anywhere, anytime, as long as you have the internet.
  • Modern agriculture - people can order food straight to their door. It's magic.
  • Nuclear tech - mutually assured destruction, i.e I won't invade you so you don't bomb me. Less wars theoretically.
  • 90% is entertainment - fair, but doesn't that show how much we've come to have that luxury?
  • AI - or you get Boston dynamics, making peoples lives better and safer
Conclusion? Double edged sword. People make choices, and live with consequences.

When I get a hammer, it's a tool. If I smack myself in the head, I do not blame the tool, I blame my dumbass.
Dumbass is only part of it.

We are wired to preserve energy and this means any technology will also contribute to laziness. We thrive when we are active in body and mind, but we need a reason to get active.
That's another reason why TMF and our business pursuits are so awesome. They give us a reason to get off our behinds and strive for better!

Kevin88660

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
117%
Feb 8, 2019
Southeast Asia
As AI advances and is able to easily handle matters that people had to handle themselves before, will we breed less capable people?

For example — if you can just ask ChatGPT for the answer, then you don’t need any research skills anymore.

If you can ask ChatGPT for the answer, you don’t need to use your own brain to think anymore.

What effects will this have on people who are simply born into this environment? If you ask me, it will make them less capable and more pampered. They will rarely if ever think for themselves. They will NOT be able to do things that we take for granted today.

Think of what profound damage another technology, namely social media has done. Most people are glued to their screens, they mistake what they see on social media for reality, they’re depressed, and mindlessly scroll.

Sure, fundamentally all these technologies have great potential. But… it’s all about how they’ll be used. And my fear is that it’s easier to appeal to mediocrity than to excellence. And hence what is sold isn’t the discomfort of faster progress, but rather the mediocrity of less and easier work.

As a result the same thing that happened to social media will happen to AI, and it will become a tool to fuel people’s WORST impulses.

Fundamentally it’s not the advances of technology that are the issue, but our inability to educate people so these ever more powerful tools don’t turn against them.

Thoughts?
So far AI has been replacing a lot of tedious work done by office workers, which was too costly to replace previously.

Corporations hired a lot of colleague grad to tally figures and numbers, which only required the academic and IQ proficiency of a 16-year-old.

I am still an optimist that AI makes us smarter so that we can focus on more important tasks.

One obvious improvement is optimization. Maybe we will have such an app soon. You input multiple goals in your life and AI recommends daily actions to take on an hourly basis. Elon musk surely has a personal accident to draft his crazy schedule....Soon everyone can afford one.

At the current level of chagpt advancement, replacing 15-20 min of google search effort is more of a blessing than a curse.

Kak

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
494%
Jan 23, 2011
Texas
Think of the average person. A person of totally average ambition, aptitude, knowledge, and ability.

Now… Remember that half of people are worse than that person.

It’s already pretty bad. Most people stop learning a single thing the moment they get their “real job” aka their prison cell assigned.

If you even think about trying, you’re a genius these days.

biophase

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
474%
Jul 25, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ
Think of the average person. A person of totally average ambition, aptitude, knowledge, and ability.

Now… Remember that half of people are worse than that person.

It’s already pretty bad. Most people stop learning a single thing the moment they get their “real job” aka their prison cell assigned.

If you even think about trying, you’re a genius these days.
Remember the current AI is based on all the info it reads. It doesn’t know what’s true or not. It can’t actually think for itself. So the answers recieved from AI are average because it’s getting the data from the average population.

Kak

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
494%
Jan 23, 2011
Texas
Remember the current AI is based on all the info it reads. It doesn’t know what’s true or not. It can’t actually think for itself. So the answers recieved from AI are average because it’s getting the data from the average population.
Hahaha as MJ once said. It is the intellectual apocalypse.

biophase

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
474%
Jul 25, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ
The scary AI is one that learns without humans, such as the chess bots. They aren’t programmed with human thoughts and strategies. They are give parameters and then figure it out for themselves. Many times they do things that no human would ever think of.

Fridericus Rex

den der Lorbeerkranz ziert
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
57%
May 10, 2023
Not gonna lie, its already happening and I'm doing it myself. For most work stuff I just let ChatGPT come up with something instead of thinking myself. Can't deny that this is a bad development

BizyDad

Keep going. Keep growing.
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
419%
Oct 7, 2019
Phoenix AZ

ElDiablo

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
128%
Sep 17, 2021
In my humble perspective, just like with any other complex tool, the way people look at complex tools like AI often seems a bit myopic.

People typically focus on a narrow set of applications, and seldom invest time to grasp the full range of possibilities.

ChatGPT is no exception to this rule; it’s the proverbial 'cursed child' of the AI family, in a way.

It's a common sight to see people use ChatGPT for mind-numbingly dull tasks, or even try to pass off their thorny problems to it. Yet, the stark reality that emerges is that many of us aren't fully clued in on how to effectively wield this potent tool.

To clarify, I'm not saying this with a holier-than-thou attitude. Instead, I've chosen to immerse myself in the deep end and try to extract maximum utility from ChatGPT, given my own skill set.

As part of my learning curve, I’ve been honing my ability to use prompts and train ChatGPT to yield more precise insights and explanations relevant to the issues I’m interested in resolving. This hands-on approach helped me understand why some folks grumble about AI “hallucinations”—the phenomenon where the AI spits out incorrect but seemingly plausible statements.

The issue, as I see it, is not with the tool itself, but with our collective failure (myself included) to properly harness the raw computing power that such tools offer.

In a recent forum thread, I shared my decision to switch from being a net consumer to a net producer, leveraging ChatGPT to aid this transition. The overall idea was to selectively consume information that would help me in the creation of something valuable for others.

To supplement this effort, whenever I stumbled upon something new, I'd feed the AI contextual information and probe it to generate different practical applications for my newfound knowledge. Rather than outsourcing my entire thought process to the AI, I used it to expand my horizons, considering aspects that I might have overlooked or been unaware of.

The crux of the matter is this: AI, just like any other tool, is neither complete junk nor a golden panacea. It's all about understanding and respect. If we invest the time to understand how to use it, we can view it for what it truly is—a tool.

My prediction? It’s going to follow the trajectory of social media, the internet, the printing press, sliced bread, and other groundbreaking innovations.

Those who manage to grasp its true nature will be the ones who enjoy its advantages and steer clear of its pitfalls.

Those are my two cents.

twram

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
246%
May 25, 2023
being a retard I had to ask chatgpt:

These are valid concerns and discussions about the impact of AI on society are important. While AI has the potential to automate certain tasks and provide information more easily, it does not necessarily mean that it will make people less capable or breed a world of stupid people.

AI, like ChatGPT, can be a valuable tool for accessing information and assisting with certain tasks. It can provide quick answers and help with problem-solving. However, it doesn't replace the need for critical thinking, creativity, and deeper understanding. In fact, AI can be seen as a tool that complements human intelligence rather than replacing it.

It is true that over-reliance on AI or any technology can have negative consequences. If people solely rely on AI systems without developing their own research skills or critical thinking abilities, there is a risk of becoming dependent and less self-reliant. However, this is more of a societal and educational issue rather than a problem with AI itself.

The responsibility lies with individuals, educators, and society as a whole to promote a balanced approach to the use of technology. This includes fostering critical thinking, research skills, and encouraging individuals to think for themselves. Education should focus on developing these cognitive abilities alongside the integration of AI and other technologies.

As for the comparison with social media, it is true that social media has had negative effects on certain individuals and society as a whole. However, it is important to recognize that the negative impact of social media is not solely due to the technology itself, but also the way it is used and the underlying dynamics of social interaction. Similarly, the impact of AI will depend on how it is developed, regulated, and integrated into society.

In summary, while there are concerns about the potential negative consequences of AI, it is crucial to approach these technologies with a balanced perspective. By focusing on educating individuals to use AI as a tool for enhancing their capabilities rather than replacing them, we can mitigate the risks and ensure that AI contributes positively to society.

AceVentures

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
406%
Apr 16, 2019
I like to think about it the same way I think about other software. Has unique and useful applications in certain instances.

Having access to a search engine didn't make me retarded - it helped me swift through Internet Protocols more easily, and subsequently find relevant web-pages that match my topic. On the other hand, abuse of this power results in information throttling by monopolies over the service.

The bigger question is not whether AI will make people retarded because of it's use cases, but whether centralization of the force can throttle and manipulate information highways, by design or by bias, and meaningfully change the signal-noise ratio for important topics.

Example: person discovers method of extracting infinite energy from water. But by ease of information production or centralized bias implementation or both, this signal is lost and what's magnified are corporate interests which meaningfully contribute to the system's bias coefficients.

This is already the case with centralized information highways across the internet - the "AI" hype in my personal opinion further polarizes this signal-noise dynamic.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.