The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

16 Year Old Kid Making $2K / Month in Passive Income

A detailed account of a Fastlane process...

SBS.95

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
261%
Oct 14, 2012
Pennsylvania
For those that don't browse the Entrepreneur section of Reddit, there's a lot of interesting stuff going on there. Thought some may find this a cool read.

http://www.reddit.com/r/Entrepreneur/comments/28sld8/iama_16_year_old_who_makes_over_2000_a_month/

Age is no excuse not to accomplish something. Most people at age 16 go work at Wal-Mart or McDonalds, and then complain about the minimum wage. And for the naysayers who think $2K isn't a lot of money, which, realistically, it isn't, I would ask what you were doing at age 16. I know I wasn't doing anything like this. Too busy playing Playstation 2.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

rogen

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
132%
May 27, 2013
-
Thanks for share, I always enjoy these AMAs on reddit, although im not frequent redditor

randomnumber314

speed of a drunk camel
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
227%
Jan 7, 2014
Minnesoooota,USA
Top comment is about it being a scam.

For some reason the majority of reddit is cynical and lazy about running a business. There was one AMA where some guy was runnign a very successful call center, making good money, and half the thread was focused on some bad PR some competitor was pushing.

The "hivemind" seems to be very good at finding reasons to say "you can't do that" and continue sucking.

@JasonR 's AMA is what got TMF on my radar, and subsequently this forum. It was a good swift kick to the face for action, and I hope more people realize it.

Unknown

Fastlane-ish
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
177%
Mar 31, 2014
If he really did make $1500 a month from that site, why the hell would he sell it for $5k...

The-J

Dog Dad
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
265%
Aug 28, 2011
Ontario
/r/entrepreneur sucks, full of action fakers and people who want to plug their passion projects.

As far as this kid... congratulations to him for making $1.5k in one month, then selling the site for $5k. Sounds to me like he had a flimsy affiliate site that wouldn't have lasted all that long, so taking the $5k was probably beneficial for him.

The guys there are missing the point of the AMA, which is that money IS abundant, it IS out there, and ANYONE PROVIDING VALUE can have some. If a 16 year old kid can do it with a minimal amount of effort, so can you!

The kid should be directed here so he can learn to think bigger

MMatt

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
98%
Nov 14, 2011
Quite a bit of hate in that thread. Sure the kid may have not made the best decisions or done the most perfectly ethical practices, but I guarantee you he has done a hell of alot more than 90% of the haters.

After all, entrepreneurship is an endless learning process.

Waisec

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
276%
Feb 6, 2014
Estonia
I've always despised reddit and quickly browsing through that AMA and that subsection just reaffirms my opinion - filled by wantepreneurs, action-fakers and cynics, seems like a very toxic place to hang out in

As for the kid, good for him for taking action at such a young age, 2000usd is also a very good monthly wage in this part of the world. Someone should PM him over here, it may help him move towards the right direction

SBS.95

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
261%
Oct 14, 2012
Pennsylvania
/r/entrepreneur sucks, full of action fakers and people who want to plug their passion projects.

Yeah, I used to really hate Reddit too. You gotta just learn to filter out the cynical people. As soon as I start reading comments like that and realize they're just being petty or envious, I stop reading. No point in even getting annoyed by them.

It's by no means a great community, I enjoy this forum a lot more. But some threads like the AMAs are great information that's hard to come by. The problem (in my opinion) is the downvote button. The hivemind thinks together, so any controversial threads that would actually foster some interesting discussion just turn into a circlejerk.

It's like over on this forum entrepreneur == adding value, whereas over on Reddit entrepreneur == owning a business. Like you, I prefer the definition we have over here.

DaRK9

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
213%
May 23, 2014
He wasn't really making 2k passive, he just made that at once. Still cool though. I used to sell RS gold among other game stuff when I was a kid.

DennisD

Mini Media Mogul
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
216%
Jun 16, 2012
Bali, Indonesia

For some reason the majority of reddit is cynical and lazy about running a business. There was one AMA where some guy was runnign a very successful call center, making good money, and half the thread was focused on some bad PR some competitor was pushing.

The "hivemind" seems to be very good at finding reasons to say "you can't do that" and continue sucking.

The fictional book series I'm reading right now, the Dresden Files, talks a lot about how the human collective denies everything that doesn't fit their existing worldview. When presented with actual footage, photographs, descriptions, and experiences, humans find every hole to poke in it and try desperately to discredit the supernatural baddies that exist within the universe.

All I could think of is how I see this happen everyday. Obviously not people denying wizardry, but denying the existence of a lifestyle that doesn't fit with the way they live THEIR life. They pick apart success, even if it's directly in front of them, and do everything in their power to discredit that which challenges them.

Gsuz

If you want the crown, you gotta take it
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
242%
Jul 3, 2012

@JasonR 's AMA is what got TMF on my radar, and subsequently this forum. It was a good swift kick to the face for action, and I hope more people realize it.

Do you possibly have the link to that call center AMA? I'd really like to read that.

Waisec

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
276%
Feb 6, 2014
Estonia
Do you possibly have the link to that call center AMA? I'd really like to read that.
Wanted to find it as well, so I Googled. Took me 30 seconds, here: http://www.reddit.com/r/Entrepreneu...hed_on_july_2013_business_is_on_track_to_hit/

edit: nevermind, didn't see the 'call center' part

edit2: reading the comments, he possibly meant this: http://www.reddit.com/r/Entrepreneur/comments/208gdn/i_went_from_starting_to_160_employees_in_two/

Last edited:

Darren1

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
33%
May 13, 2014
I do not think that it is just Reddit that is skeptical. If you are someone who goes against the ‘drone’ of work – if you dare speak out against the monotony of everyday, suddenly people assume that you are doing something wrong, that you are not ethical. This is the most frustrating aspect about the Fast Lane…the ignorance of others.

JuliaMF

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
100%
Jun 23, 2014
Northern California
I couldn't agree more. I had high hopes for the /r/entrepreneur subreddit but I find it to be a very negative place. Hence my registration here not long ago!

Even if the kid only did it once and sold - he's got the spirit and he took action. That's more than 99% of the folks out there!

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.