The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join today.

Since 2007, MJ DeMarco has helped entrepreneurs win their freedom with over 38,000 game-changing posts. Join over 90,000 members and a library of over 1,000,000 posts from entrepreneurs worldwide.

Registration at the forum removes this block.

2 failures, 1 success: My Onramp into the Fastlane

cmh

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
256%
Feb 2, 2024
Texas
Good evening. I'm an engineer from the Southern US. Like most of you, I had a good chunk of the Unscripted /Fastlane philosophy floating around in my brain even before reading the books, but the books just tied it all together. Like most millennial Americans, I was conditioned early to seek success in institutions, and it's been a lifelong process breaking that habit. The Idiocracy-state of the country has helped.

My first attempt to break free and be my own man was an algorithmic trader I made in 2011. It was a technical success on Intrade, but the founder of the website died on Everest and the website imploded. I could not get the trader to work on the US equities market, and I eventually just had to move on with life. In hindsight an endeavor like this probably needed a bigger team than 1, and it violated the N of CENTS -- I wasn't adding anything to the world, just trying to digitally clip coins essentially.

My second try was making a ballistics app for iOS in 2017. I did this in college for project credit, but also tried to commercialize it. The product was excellent (as an engineer and prior professional shooter I have oodles of domain knowledge). Unfortunately it also violated the N of CENTS -- most shooters just want to blast at some cans and really don't need or care to be all that accurate.

My third try was an onramp from the slow lane where I scored domain knowledge into a fastlane. At this point in life I had a family to take care of, but knew I would want to return to entrepreneurship one day. So while working for the man, I got my PE license (needed to practice engineering on your own), and slowly built my little LLC. When you do work on the side, make yourself known as a business owner, and do great work in a sea of shitbags, you tend to get more 'luck'. That's what happened. I've had to take on some partners in the process, but I am now at the head of a company that grossed low 8 figures last year. I'm really lucky to have the spouse I do -- she's been willing to make do with Spartan conditions while I build my business and investments. I couldn't have done this with the stress of huge debts.

I am remaining monogamous right now to this biz, and jotting down my 'good ideas' for a time when my company requires a bit less of my TLC to make it run just right.

My motto? It pays to be a winner and it sucks to suck.

Thanks in advance for the warm welcome and useful knowledge. Ask away if you have questions.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

DonyaSze

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
159%
Jan 17, 2024
Welcome!

Wow your story is a good one. Glad to hear you’re kicking butt!

Reactions: cmh

HoneyBadger302

Bronze Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
270%
Apr 20, 2023
Great story, and awesome to hear of finding success in your journey!

Reactions: cmh

Become a Fastlane Member Today to Read More or Comment.

This thread has
more posts!

Join MJ DeMarco's Inner Circle and Rub Shoulders with Other Millionaire Entrepreneurs

This isn’t just another community led by an absent guru. Since 2007, multi-millionaire entrepreneur and best-selling author MJ DeMarco has been a daily, hands-on mentor at the Fastlane Forum, authoring a staggering 38,000 posts filled with invaluable insights, strategies, and advice. When you join Fastlane, you’re not merely becoming a member—you’re entering MJ’s inner circle, a supportive home where you’re never left to navigate alone. Embrace the power of true mentorship and transform your entrepreneurial journey with the Fastlane Forum.

Basic Membership (Monthly)

• Read all threads in the main forums/categories.
  • Post comments in existing topics.
  • React to any comment/post.
  • Cancel anytime

$5 per month

Join Now

Basic Membership (Yearly)

• Save 22% vs yearly
  • Post comments in existing topics.
  • React to any comment/post.
  • Cancel anytime

$47 per year

Join Now

VIP Insider Membership

• Guaranteed read and response from MJ DeMarco*
  • Access to the Insider forum for more advanced users.
  • Post comments, react, ask questions.
  • Bookmark any posts
  • No non-sponsor ads

$119.88 per year

Join Now

* If you post any question or problem within the INSIDER forum, this guarantees MJ will read and respond to your post to the best of his ability at least one time. This guarantee does not imply a lifetime dialogue or a personal ongoing mentorship. Again, MJ has authored more than 38,000 responses at this forum since 2007.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.

More Intros...