The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

4 Months Into my "Career" and I want out

N.Entrepreneur

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
71%
Jun 3, 2013
Boston, MA
Hello fastlaners,

I am making this thread as sort of a vent but more importantly something I can look back on and remind myself. I have followed, blindly, the traditional slowlane pathway to life. I went to college - got a Bachelors and Masters degree in Accounting, passed my CPA exams and got into a big 4 firm.

I just turned 23 and I have been working there for 4 months and hate it. I mostly took the job because a) I would be able to audit companies and small businesses which I find intriguing, b) it would give me a steady source of income ($60k/salary), c) It was the next step as I don't know what to do as far as fastlane opportunities.

However, as each day passes I realize that this isnt for me and I would hate my life if this was my career. I don't really know where to go from here, I have read MJs book, I read this forum daily, and anything else I can get my hands on.

I guess I am wondering for those of you who were in my position, what did you do? Did you leave the job immediately and start pursing opportunities? Thanks for any advice and good luck to all!

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Jake

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
148%
May 15, 2011
Bangkok
Is there a way to rapidly increase your salary? If so, I'd say do that for a few years. If not, build up a business fund / rainy day fund and start working on your own thing with the free time you do have

Disclaimer: Don't listen to me. My situation was much different before I quit my job

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
447%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Did you leave the job immediately and start pursing opportunities?

Be led by a need or a solution. Sarah Blakely's story is a good one that follows that model. She built the Spanx empire while holding down a regular job and didn't quit until she was ready.

N.Entrepreneur

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
71%
Jun 3, 2013
Boston, MA
Is there a way to rapidly increase your salary? If so, I'd say do that for a few years. If not, build up a business fund / rainy day fund and start working on your own thing with the free time you do have

Disclaimer: Don't listen to me. My situation was much different before I quit my job

Salary increases are pretty much consistent and you get a couple big bumps as you make senior (Year 3) and manager (Year 5-6). Youre making about a 100k after 5 years, however it comes with more hours and responsibility. We are already working 60-65 hours as is and it gets up to around 80 as you make it higher up.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

KassandraTB

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
75%
Dec 7, 2013
When we were going through this issue, the only thing that helped us was by simply taking action and get uncomfortable. At first we thought "New jobs in new location"......BORING.....we were offered $100k jobs each for a small town in NY where we could hear a pin drop in walmart. We said no and accepted a path where we moved to the place of our dreams with no jobs and just a little in cash.
So. We worked three jobs each.
Saved up moving money.
Moved to our dream place.
Then we worked 3 jobs, rebuit the savings.
Started a business.
The rest......is History.

What's funny, we were beyond happy at the lowest "income point" because we knew our investment and business would pull us through. We no longer desired houses, cars, play time, soccer games, and so on. All want STARVED for was trying to accomplish our vision. Which, we hit our first milestone in 2010 with one person out of a job. In 2014 the other person out of the job. (Meaning our investments were greater than our expenses w/ living in a nice home.........Now, we are ramping it up.

Tip for you: "You'll need to want it more than breathing" quoted from a millionaire in Canada.

KassandraTB

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
75%
Dec 7, 2013
Salary increases are pretty much consistent and you get a couple big bumps as you make senior (Year 3) and manager (Year 5-6). Youre making about a 100k after 5 years, however it comes with more hours and responsibility. We are already working 60-65 hours as is and it gets up to around 80 as you make it higher up.

If you wait only on the job income to increase, then you are stuck for 5 years and you'll have to go Dave Ramsey and stay living in a small place while income goes up so it can be your starting money.

(Think) out of the box on another idea. Ex: How can you help a small business avoid common problems? Is there am "APP" or "Website" for them to read and learn. Is there a blog? Is there a "thing" you can sale........can you push your speed up and do 7-0 on days and then get an 0-7 in a few years? (from the book). I

I'm confident the small business that you meet daily could use something that can be duplicated by you.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.