The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

A cautionary tale of Amazon being Amazon...

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
When Amazon comes knocking at your door wanting to invest in your company it's time to celebrate right?

One would think...

However here is what one author says is the Amazon way of business, conducted via their Alexa Fund...

1) Claim an investment interest in a new innovative tech company...
2) Get access to proprietary information, sales figures, customer data via the due diligence process...
3) Invest a nominal amount in the company to continue access, get members on boards
4) Use that continued drip of proprietary info to create your own product and upstart
5) Ghost the company you just ripped-off, and then pay-em off when threatened with a lawsuit.

Amazon is not your friend and it never was.

Wolf in sheep's clothing?

No, a wolf dressed as a wolf.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
369%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
When Amazon comes knocking at your door wanting to invest in your company it's time to celebrate right?

One would think...

However here is what one author says is the Amazon way of business, conducted via their Alexa Fund...

2) Get access to proprietary information, sales figures, customer data via the due diligence process...
3) Invest a nominal amount in the company to continue access, get members on boards
4) Use that continued drip of proprietary info to create your own product and upstart
5) Ghost the company you just ripped-off, and then pay-em off when threatened with a lawsuit.

Despicable. That's the first word that springs to mind.

mikecarlooch

Apprentice & Student Of The Game
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
350%
Jan 28, 2022
Florida

One would think...

Bezos is basically Rockefeller 2.0

socaldude

Saturn Sedan and PT Cruiser enthusiast.
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
211%
Jan 10, 2012
San Diego, CA
Gee I’m shocked, how could they. Just another day in modern corporatism where it’s “clever” to be a back stabbing POS.

AlFarquhar

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
60%
Apr 2, 2024
"Amazon.com Inc has been repeatedly accused of knocking off products it sells on its website and of exploiting its vast trove of internal data to promote its own merchandise at the expense of other sellers. The company has denied the accusations."

Amazon spots your hot-selling product on their platform, crafts an Amazon Basic version, then out-values you with their vast business experience.

Last edited:

NervesOfSteel

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
127%
Aug 26, 2023

One would think...

This is old news. Amazon has its secondary brand under which Amazon introduces every product in every niche that surpasses a threshold sales on the Amazon marketplace. They openly promote their brand and people tend to find trust in Amazon's secondary brand due to Amazon's dominance!

This makes Jeff Bezos extremely smart and has set an example for every SAAS model.

Of the gods we believe, and of men we know, that by a necessary law of their nature they rule wherever they can. - Thucydides.

• Admin

MJ DeMarco

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
This is old news. Amazon has its secondary brand under which Amazon introduces every product in every niche that surpasses a threshold sales on the Amazon marketplace.

No, it's not the same thing; Amazon Basics and legally getting access to every detail of my company (under the guise of acquisition talks) for the purpose of theft are two different things. But thanks for reiterating what I already knew.

NervesOfSteel

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
127%
Aug 26, 2023
No, it's not the same thing; Amazon Basics and legally getting access to every detail of my company (under the guise of acquisition talks) for the purpose of theft are two different things. But thanks for reiterating what I already knew.

They were already using the data available on their server. Probably they upped their game by finding ways to penetrate deeper!

I just wanted to signify that Amazon was always like this!

• Admin

MJ DeMarco

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
They were already using the data available on their server.

Yes, THEIR DATA.

Probably they upped their game by finding ways to penetrate deeper!

And then using deception to access MY DATA.

Theft is not "upping their game."

A metaphor is inviting a network technician into my house to fix my internet, but then he installs a packet monitor on my network to grab my banking passwords to rob me blind.

Jon822

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
272%
Nov 21, 2016
You gotta hand it to them for being clever. Absolutely disgusting practice though.

MJ DeMarco

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah

socaldude

Saturn Sedan and PT Cruiser enthusiast.
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
211%
Jan 10, 2012
San Diego, CA
Google, Amazon, Facebook, with evil corporations like this, who needs the devil?

Doesn't Amazon provide cloud computing services for some of the alphabet intel agencies? Doesn't Bezos own the Washington Post?

You really have to ask yourself why they share this info as a news article on WSJ which also works with the alphabet agencies?

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.