What's new

A Discussion With a 180M Entrepreneur (Part 2)

Anything related to matters of the mind

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Live your best life.

Tired of paying for dead communities hosted by absent gurus who don't have time for you?

Imagine having a multi-millionaire mentor by your side EVERY. SINGLE. DAY. Since 2007, MJ DeMarco has been a cornerstone of Fastlane, actively contributing on over 99% of days—99.92% to be exact! With more than 38,000 game-changing posts, he's dedicated to helping entrepreneurs achieve their freedom. Join a thriving community of over 90,000 members and access a vast library of over 1,000,000 posts from entrepreneurs around the globe.

Forum membership removes this block and all non-sponsor ads.

mikecarlooch

Apprentice & Student Of The Game
LEGACY MEMBER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
There are some people walking around who you'd have no idea are ultra-successful entrepreneurs.

Just a few days ago I was at a gym talking to somebody and later found out he is a billionaire who owns 100% of multiple manhattan skyscrapers.

Just looked like a normal guy, working out at the same gym as me.

He's not who this post is about, but it's pretty cool.

This is about an entrepreneur who is very generous to satiate my curiosity on how he came to realize his success, for a second time.

If you haven't read part 1, click here.

-

I came into this next conversation to ask him about the applications of web3 to the clunky world of real estate

At some point in the conversation, I started realizing that asking other entrepreneurs who have nothing to do with your industry, for suggestions about your industry, is not really helpful. You really do just need to figure it out yourself through trial and error.

Here's the secret about asking for advice from someone else about your particular business:

They really have no idea what's going to work for you, man. Gotta suck it up and try stuff.

He knew this and was trying to steer away from it, so it turned into something much deeper, more helpful and interesting..

-

Without further ado, here's 6 incredibly helpful takeaways I had that we can all use and apply in our lives:

1. Your Vision Doesn't Need To Be Big, It Just Needs To Be Clear

Are you a big thinker? Me too.
Does it cause you an insane amount of anxiety to think about your huge vision? Me too.

But stop trying to make your vision so large, and just make it clear.

You might propose some theoretical grand vision as a young entrepreneur, but how can you even attempt to make a grand vision (e.g changing some aspect of an industry) when you don't even know how the industry really works?

How about you make a vision for now, based on what you know right now?

It might feel like this is "thinking small" to some of us big thinkers.

But it's not. Who's to say that when we are more of an expert at what we're trying to accomplish, and we've achieved our other goal, we can't set a higher vision that gets us to a goal of the size we originally had in mind?

Why are we so rushed to create this grand vision? And expect that everything will align with it? Chances are, it won't. You're going to find out that the grand vision you had for that industry is actually not even something that the industry needs, because of a specific way that it works which you had no idea about..!

2. It's 75% Luck. It Happened By Accident

I asked him..

Why do some people like you build massive $180M companies and other people build $2 million companies?

He said..

"It's 75% luck. It happened by accident. That doesn't mean I didn't work hard, or I'm not smart. I am, but opportunities showing up are outside of your control. Sometimes those serendipitous opportunities can have extremely asymmetric payoffs. You just need to be able to see them. But don't beat yourself up wondering why someone's company is bigger than another. Chances are, they just had access to an opportunity (or 10) and took advantage when it showed."

3. Don't Strive To Be Different. Strive To Be The Expert.

I told him that being different trips me up and makes me feel like I'm competing with hundreds of thousands of people.

He said...

"Listen, first of all, there are so many fish in the pond. If you take 1/100's, you're big. Second of all, I used to run a small company selling insurance. One day I saw an opportunity that no one was doing - insurance for uber! That differentiating factor worked so well at the beginning and I was selling a lot. But then, another guy came and and said "Hey what's Henry doing?", and copied my exact idea and marketing, and started making money off of it. You're not going to find some kind of secret thing that fends off competitors forever."

Read what he said next VERY closely, as it's very important:

"But ultimately, I destroyed him and others in that market, because I was the expert. I knew more about it than all of them, therefore I prospered both in marketing and in service. You don't need to be different, you just need to be BETTER. And again that doesn't mean that someone can't be just as good as you. They can be, and they can have the same amount of success as you do. Or maybe you will serendipitously come upon an opportunity that shoots you to the moon even though that person is just as good as you are."

4. You Need To Rest, And You Don't Need To Work As Hard As You Think.

"It's actually not about how hard you work. It's more about aligning yourself every day and doing the RIGHT things, which is ironically about just survival. Not doing the wrong things. Not being stupid. Stop looking for the right things to do actually, and just stop doing the wrong things."

"Our brains have a front burner and a back-burner. If you're constantly keeping everything in your front burner (conscious mind), you're going to burn out. Leisure time actually allows your back-burner (sub-conscious mind) to (sub-consciously) take in the information from your conscious mind and solidify it in your brain. So take rest seriously. Go to the gym, go on a hike, hang with friends.."

5. Stop Reading Self-Help. Read Real, Technical Books.

I told him that in between real estate deals, I have a lot of free time and sometimes I don't know what to do.

He said:

"Read, dude!"

I said

"And I would assume you're not talking about self-help"

He responded

"Self help is garbage. How many times can people say the same thing in different ways? I'm talking about technical stuff. Stuff that's industry-deep. Textbooks. For example you're in real estate. Are you an expert on GP/LP? Loans? Selling properties? Acquiring properties? Due diligence on commercial properties?"

"No.. Not nearly an expert."

"Well spend your free time learning all you can about those things. If you do it that way, it's kind of like doing something painful right now (like the gym) for a benefit in the future. In this case, the knowledge you acquire about an industry now will serve you huge in 5 years."

"This is HOW you get to do what I did in my insurance company. I knew more than most, therefore could serve better than most"

6. You're Not Always Going To Know What's Right To Do, So Guess.

I asked him "So what do you mean by doing the right thing? Did you just guess what to do every day?"

"Yes, kind of..."

It's probably better for us to ACCEPT and APPRECIATE the fact that whatever we choose to work on, we are saying no to something else. We CAN'T say yes to everything, it's fundamentally impossible. So it's probably best to just choose the best thing you can think of, and make a deliberate choice to say NO to everything else that could also be a good thing to spend time on.

-

Hope this was helpful :D

Last edited:
Membership Required: Upgrade to Expose Nearly 1,000,000 Posts

Ready to Unleash the Millionaire Entrepreneur in You?

Become a member of the Fastlane Forum, the private community founded by best-selling author and multi-millionaire entrepreneur MJ DeMarco. Since 2007, MJ DeMarco has poured his heart and soul into the Fastlane Forum, helping entrepreneurs achieve reclaim their time, win their financial freedom, and live their best life.

With more than 39,000 posts packed with insights, strategies, and advice, you’re not just a member—you’re stepping into MJ’s inner-circl, a place where you’ll never be left alone.

Become a member and gain immediate access to...

• Active Community: Ever join a community only to find it DEAD? Not at Fastlane! As you can see from our home page, life-changing content is posted dozens of times daily.
  • Exclusive Insights: Direct access to MJ DeMarco’s daily contributions and wisdom.
  • Powerful Networking Opportunities: Connect with a diverse group of successful entrepreneurs who can offer mentorship, collaboration, and opportunities.
  • Proven Strategies: Learn from the best in the business, with actionable advice and strategies that can accelerate your success.

"You are the average of the five people you surround yourself with the most..."

Who are you surrounding yourself with? Surround yourself with millionaire success. Join Fastlane today!

Join Today
.. zit fimivif ..

O xupfis jux fof ji hiv vji opovoem deqovem vu tvesv ep optasepdi dunqepz xjodj jet e deqovem siraosinipv ug. vipt ug nommoupt, og puv nusi vjiti fezt.

Last edited:
O xupfis jux fof ji hiv vji opovoem deqovem vu tvesv ep optasepdi dunqepz xjodj jet e deqovem siraosinipv og vipt ug nommoupt, og puv nusi vjiti fezt.
O vjopl ov edvaemmz xet puv jot dunqepz. Ji xet katv timmoph optasepdi

Vji nusi O muul opvu vji nopft ug "taddittgam qiuqmi", vji nusi O siemobi vjev xi'si qsivvz nadj vji teni janep ciopht tjesoph e wisz tonomes mogi iyqisoipdi.

Vjisi esi pu tidsivt vjev "vji xiemvjz fup'v xepv zua vu lpux".

Iwiszvjoph ot op qmeop tohjv - epf ov xet vjev xez gsun fez 1, zua'wi katv djutip vu qsivipf zua fup'v tii ov:
  • Fu vji vjopht vjev zua lpux qisgidvmz ximm zua piif vu fu.
  • Ewuof fuoph vji tvaqof vjopht vjev zua lpux zua tjuamf puv fu.

Vjev't ov.

Motvip vu zuas uxp duptdoipdi. Zua emsiefz lpux xjev vji piyv tviq ot. Zua emsiefz lpux vji vjopht vjev zua dep tvesv us tvuq fuoph vufez.

Onehopi 2 ofipvodem tjoqt teomoph op vji iyedv teni fosidvoup.

Upi ug vjin tviist upmz 1 fihsii vu vji migv. Ev gostv, vjiz xomm liiq teomoph up vji teni qevj. Cav egvis 3 nupvjt vjiz esi op foggisipv gadloph jinotqjisit.

Vji teni vjoph jeqqipt xovj mogi.

Ep ipvsiqsipias xju ot 100 vonit nusi taddittgam vjep zua ot puv 100 vonit tnesvis epf fuit puv xusl 100 vonit jesfis.

Vji upmz foggisipdi ot vjev ji us tji jef e 30% civvis nopftiv, xotfun, fotdoqmopi, epf 30% civvis iyidavoup up vji feomz vetlt vjev zua fiin vsowoem epf aponqusvepv.

Vjev 30% cupat eqqmoif feomz uwis vji duasti ug 10 ziest xomm sitamv op apcimoiwecmi foggisipdit op uavduni.

#nevj #pisft #iyqupipvoemhsuxvj # @Kup822

O fup’v jewi e qutovoup up vjot qistupemmz, cav O’f tez ov fiqipft e muv up xju zua etl.

Hazt moli Hsepv Desfupi, Kusfep Cimgusv us Epfz Immouvv, emm namvo nommoupeosit, xuamf piwis vimm zua vu sief vidjpodem cuult epf xuamf qsiedj gus timg-jimq uwis vidjpodem cuult.

Xjisiet O’f tez tuniupi moli Imup Natl xuamf qsiedj vji iyedv uqqutovi.

O vjopl xjev jimqt zua meshimz jet vu fu xovj zuas qistupemovz.
O ehsii. Tuni qiuqmi esi katv pevasemmz nusi fsowip epf encovouat. Tuni qiuqmi xisi katv cusp vu ci dasouat epf edvoup fsowip, epf uvjist puv tu nadj. Catopitt ot katv et nadj e nipvem heni et ov vji vidjpodem. Qiuqmi xju piif jimq vu hiv vjintimwit up vjios giiv, tjuamf tiil vjev jimq. Vjip egvis vjev jeqqipt, emm vji vidjpodem tvagg cidunit e muv ietois

O fup’v jewi e qutovoup up vjot qistupemmz, cav O’f tez ov fiqipft e muv up xju zua etl.

Hazt moli Hsepv Desfupi, Kusfep Cimgusv us Epfz Immouvv, emm namvo nommoupeosit, xuamf piwis vimm zua vu sief vidjpodem cuult epf xuamf qsiedj gus timg-jimq uwis vidjpodem cuult.

Xjisiet O’f tez tuniupi moli Imup Natl xuamf qsiedj vji iyedv uqqutovi.

O vjopl xjev jimqt zua meshimz jet vu fu xovj zuas qistupemovz.
Kusfep fof tez og zua piif vu timm epzvjoph zua piif vu ciduni ep iyqisv op vji goimf. Cideati qiuqmi vsatv iyqisvt.

Ji fuit jewi e huuf temit tvsadvasi iwip vjuahj ov ot tunixjev umf tdjuum.

Hsepv epf Epfz’t temi finuptvsevoup esi moli vjuti optvepv jiemoph djasdjit xjisi dsoqqmif qiuqmi tvesv xemloph. O xuamf meahj epf ewuof.

Membership Required: Upgrade to Expose Nearly 1,000,000 Posts

Ready to Unleash the Millionaire Entrepreneur in You?

Become a member of the Fastlane Forum, the private community founded by best-selling author and multi-millionaire entrepreneur MJ DeMarco. Since 2007, MJ DeMarco has poured his heart and soul into the Fastlane Forum, helping entrepreneurs achieve reclaim their time, win their financial freedom, and live their best life.

With more than 39,000 posts packed with insights, strategies, and advice, you’re not just a member—you’re stepping into MJ’s inner-circl, a place where you’ll never be left alone.

Become a member and gain immediate access to...

• Active Community: Ever join a community only to find it DEAD? Not at Fastlane! As you can see from our home page, life-changing content is posted dozens of times daily.
  • Exclusive Insights: Direct access to MJ DeMarco’s daily contributions and wisdom.
  • Powerful Networking Opportunities: Connect with a diverse group of successful entrepreneurs who can offer mentorship, collaboration, and opportunities.
  • Proven Strategies: Learn from the best in the business, with actionable advice and strategies that can accelerate your success.

"You are the average of the five people you surround yourself with the most..."

Who are you surrounding yourself with? Surround yourself with millionaire success. Join Fastlane today!

Join Today

Welcome to an Entrepreneurial Revolution

The Fastlane Forum empowers you to break free from conventional thinking to achieve financial freedom through UNSCRIPTED® Entrepreneurship where relative value and problem-solving are executed at scale. Living Unscripted® isn’t just a business strategy—it’s a way of life.

Follow MJ DeMarco

Get The Books that Change Lives...

The Fastlane entrepreneurial strategy is based on the CENTS Framework® which is based on the three best-selling books by MJ DeMarco.

mj demarco books
Back
Top Bottom