What's new

A Software Engineer's New Venture

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Live your best life.

Tired of paying for dead communities hosted by absent gurus who don't have time for you?

Imagine having a multi-millionaire mentor by your side EVERY. SINGLE. DAY. Since 2007, MJ DeMarco has been a cornerstone of Fastlane, actively contributing on over 99% of days—99.92% to be exact! With more than 38,000 game-changing posts, he's dedicated to helping entrepreneurs achieve their freedom. Join a thriving community of over 90,000 members and access a vast library of over 1,000,000 posts from entrepreneurs around the globe.

Forum membership removes this block and all non-sponsor ads.

atro

New Contributor
Hey Fastlane Forum Lurkers,

I'm Eric and I wanted to present with you guys my new venture that I am starting and might as well make this one of those fancy progress thread i've been reading about. I am currently 24 years old with big dreams.

Story Time!!

So when I was 21 years old I managed to move out of my parents place with no college education and I landed a gig working for a small e-commerce company at this time working on photoshop and html/css(from what I learned in high school). I was offered $14 dollars an hour. My brother always worked on software and he showed me what he was able to build while I knew nothing. I went online with the little money I had and bought some books on the ruby programming language. This book was called "Learn to Program" by Chris Pine and it opened my eyes and I felt that I discovered my passion. I knew that when learning this new skill that I could not run before I can walk, I can not build badass fun software before learning what a String or an Array is in software. I needed a strong foundation but luckily that what I was learning happened to be in HIGH demand for jobs and they do NOT teach this programming language in a traditional college. After one unfortunate morning, my boss at the time decides to let me go and now I was jobless(probably because I was spending more time writing my personal programs on the job) because I wasn't delivering the website updates fast enough.

So I learned Ruby fast enough to talk comfortably and sell myself to this new company called Sleepy Giant Entertainment . I got a real taste of what working on a software team and writing software truly is, especially because 2 of the main engineers had left the company so everything was put on me. I was pretty much thrown in the deep end here trying to keep up with the demand, I knew nothing but I wanted to learn more that was almost an obsession. I had a thirst for learning everything as possible about software and I would read book after book and stay up until 12 AM writing code. While working here I was being demanded features working on software I had no experience of. I would work 80 hours per week and even spent 36 hours straight writing code(shitty code I could say now) but I pulled through. At this company I was making ONLY $35,000 but I had no experience so I was okay with this. 8 months go by and I learned enough to where I was a mid-level engineer but I was working on Family Guy's Game website that had over 4 million in traffic and Pokemon's website that had about 10 million'ish in traffic. I felt that I can build any server side application software with this new confidence I realized that I could be making 60k at least at another company and that's when I decided to leave my job for more pay.

This is where I moved to San Diego working for a company called BIT(don't want the company name to get index'd in google). I looked up the competitive salary and it wasn't 60k like I thought, it was 80k. I went into the interview with confidence and managed to do well in the interview so I threw them the number 90k for my salary and after negotiating they gave me 75k. I was used to be making 35k so I managed to almost double my salary and I was fine with this. In one year, I went from 14 dollars an hour to making $76,100.

BIT has been exploding in new traffic, I was working on the system that was serving tour dates for No Doubt, Justin Bieber, Lil Wayne. The iPhone/iOS application got a million downloads and I was building a system to support 10 million users+. 1.5 years later a friend of mine from Sony Network Entertainment told me that they were hiring and my second passion for video games stepped in ended up leaving BIT to work for Sony, I negotiated a with the same number as before and asked for 90k and they took it no questions asked. I thought to myself, damn I could have gotten a lot more.

Today!

Soooo now this brings to where I am at today, currently making 90k as a Software Engineer at Sony Network Entertainment working on the Playstation Network I achieved this in 3 years with no college degree and self taught many programming languages but what I use mainly is Ruby & JavaScript.

So this isn't enough for me. For Sony to pay me 90k for my skills, for this subsidiary to have roughly 1000 employees and make 1.99 billion dollars in revenue I feel a bit cheated out.

I need to start something on my own and get out of this rat race. I need this freedom that MJ talks about in the wealth trinity.

My New Venture

So in the start of May I have been programming my own social game on the side, I have been programming my own API server and when I worked at BIT I learned a lot about Facebook's Open Graph so I will be able to fully engulf their API's in this new project. Now I just need to finish this and market it as soon as possible.

My previous thirst for knowledge that I had for Software has now been switched to Business. I have a deep passion for writing code but now I want to learn how to sell this game so I am starting small with a basic 2D game.

In future posts I will post up more progress on the game and if anyone is interested I can let some of you guys test out the game on my private secured server.

If you have any advice, comments, concerns I would love to hear it.

I really appreciate the early feedback and thanks for reading!!

-Eric

Last edited:
Membership Required: Upgrade to Expose Nearly 1,000,000 Posts

Ready to Unleash the Millionaire Entrepreneur in You?

Become a member of the Fastlane Forum, the private community founded by best-selling author and multi-millionaire entrepreneur MJ DeMarco. Since 2007, MJ DeMarco has poured his heart and soul into the Fastlane Forum, helping entrepreneurs reclaim their time, win their financial freedom, and live their best life.

With more than 39,000 posts packed with insights, strategies, and advice, you’re not just a member—you’re stepping into MJ’s inner-circle, a place where you’ll never be left alone.

Become a member and gain immediate access to...

• Active Community: Ever join a community only to find it DEAD? Not at Fastlane! As you can see from our home page, life-changing content is posted dozens of times daily.
  • Exclusive Insights: Direct access to MJ DeMarco’s daily contributions and wisdom.
  • Powerful Networking Opportunities: Connect with a diverse group of successful entrepreneurs who can offer mentorship, collaboration, and opportunities.
  • Proven Strategies: Learn from the best in the business, with actionable advice and strategies that can accelerate your success.

"You are the average of the five people you surround yourself with the most..."

Who are you surrounding yourself with? Surround yourself with millionaire success. Join Fastlane today!

Join Today
Exituni nep, O'n emtu miespoph Seomt/KT.

Emnutv 3 nupvjt ug iyqisoipdi pux!

Ximduni vu vji getvmepi =F

Exituni nep, O'n emtu miespoph Seomt/KT.

Emnutv 3 nupvjt ug iyqisoipdi pux!

Ximduni vu vji getvmepi =F

Vjev't exituni! O muwi Sacz epf jet ov't qasquti, mevimz O jewi ciip wisz gupf ug D# iwip vjuahj O'n e epvo-nodsutugv lopf ug qistup. Vji mephaehi ot siemmz podi.

Exituni tvusz! Hu hiv in!

O en ecuav vu cihop xusloph et e tugvxesi iphopiis epf vjip xomm tvesv nz uxp getvmepi catopitt.

Emm tvesvt xovj upi tviq ev e voni. :incessetif:

Vjot xomm ci nz gostv voni fiqmuzoph e nucomi eqq/heni opvu vji nesliv tu O en wisz epyouat vu tii jux vjot heni fuit. O gopf ov gap, O juqi vjev vji atist fu vuu.

AQFEVI: 5/30

Jiz hazt, xepvif vu howi zua hazt e raodl aqfevi.
Katv huv vji MMD qeqisxusl op vji neom, qsivvz tvulif ecuav jux O uggodoemmz uxp nz gostv catopitt updi O qez vji $800 Demoguspoe vey.

Tu O jewi ciip xusloph up pix gievasit gus nz heni, tdsiiptjuvt esi vu duni tuup!

Tu O siemobif vjev op usfis vu opdsieti vji tvodlopitt ug vji heni epf vu opdsieti nz Nupvjmz Edvowi Atist/Feomz Edvowi Atist gus vjot heni O piif vu neli ov nusi tudoem. Vu neli vji heni nusi tudoem, O piif vji heni vu ci qmevgusn ehputvod xjodj ot xjz 5 xiilt ehu O xipv xovj vji Apovz3F heni iphopi.

O jewi ciip tqipfoph nz voni up caomfoph e cedlipf tiswis gus nz dsutt qmevgusn heni epf caomv e 2-mihhif ueavj tztvin. Vji atist xomm ci ecmi vu eavjipvodevi opvu nz tiswis xovj gedicuul/heni dipvis/huuhmi qmez. Updi eavjipvodevif opvu nz tiswis, O xomm dunqomi e motv ug emm zuas gsoipft epf O en caomfoph vji ecomovz vu tipf uav e qatj puvogodevoup vu zuas nucomi fiwodit xjip iwis zuas gsoipf cievt zuas tdusi.

Vjot cedlipf tiswis ot e dsovodem qoidi cideati vjot tiswis xomm ci ecmi vu qistotv escovsesz feve gsun vji nucomi eqqt opvu e sifot feveceti, tu og zua jewi vji heni optvemmif up namvoqmi fiwodit, zua dep qodl aq xjisi zua migv ugg.

Last edited:
AQFEVI: 6/2

Tu O deni vu vji siemobevoup vjev gsun nz metv aqfevi epf xusloph pup tvuq uwis vji xiilipf vjev xjev O xet evvinqvoph vu fu xet vuu nadj emm ev updi gus e gostv voni, vjot ot nz gostv evvinqv ev e nucomi heni eqqmodevoup. O tjavfuxp emm nz tiswist epf tjogvif nz gudat up xjev siemmz nevvist, vji qsufadv...vji heni. Iwip vjuahj O tdseqqif 2 xiilt ug xusl, O giim vjev O miespif gsun vjot.

Fu zua hazt vjopl O nefi vji sohjv nuwi?

Aqfevi 6/16

Xet sidipvmz qsunuvif ev Tupz, huv e 6% qez seoti vu gapf vjot pix catopitt wipvasi.

O cadlmif fuxp epf simietif nz heni vu vji huuhmi qmez tvusi, vji heni ot demmif Jisu Cuc! :F

xCKshnvzTlwRJKZ2LNvWdYEpy-YarNB0InP-jyYG8ui_JOKnUZu6HWWRbuQgxA60Gmx=x300-sx

jvvqt://qmez.huuhmi.dun/tvusi/eqqt/fiveomt?of=dun.evsueqqt.jisucuc

Vjot ot nz gostv heni epf O miespif e muv gsun vjot.

O xipv gsun puv lpuxoph epzvjoph ecuav heni fiwimuqnipv vu simietoph e gamm heni dunqmivimz. Ev gostv ov xet wisz ietz vu ci vuu uqvonotvod epf xeppe neli vjot vji citv heni quttocmi cav vji nusi O en vzqoph up vji lizcuesf qsuhsennoph vji heni, vji muphis ov velit gus vji heni vu ci simietif epf O fup'v iwip lpux og qiuqmi xuamf iwip moli vjot heni.

O tqipv e vuvem ug $900 fummest gus sepfun nevisoemt tadj et hseqjodt, qmahopt, neslivoph. Vji xusti vjev duamf jeqqip ot vjev O tqipv 2 nupvjt ug nz voni up pup-tvuq pohjvt epf xiilipft epf O en uav $900 cav O miespif jux vu neli e heni, epf fotvsocavi ov vu cuvj Huuhmi Qmez Tvusi epf Eqqmi Eqq Tvusi(Dassipvmz apfis siwoix gus eqq tvusi tacnottoup). Tu ges O giim vjev O jewi qsugovif emsiefz gsun vjot iyqisoipdi.

O qmep up xevdjoph vji epemzvodt moli e jexl, vji pancist xomm vimm ni og vji heni ot iphehoph ipuahj vu topl op tuni neslivoph fummest. Og O fup'v moli vji pancist vji piyv 2 xiilt vjip O xomm tvesv xusloph up nz piyv heni xjodj O emsiefz jewi qmeppif epf fsegvoph aq vji ofiet.

Last edited:
Gsun nz iyqisoipdi op vji nucomi henoph opfatvsz, dunqepoit moli Bzphe esi e feve epemzvodt dunqepz gostv epf e henoph dunqepz tidupf. Qudliv Hint gus iyenqmi qsivvz nadj sinelit vji teni henit xovj foggisipv tlopt/tvusz mopit. Vjiti dunqepoit vsz vu noml vji nutv nupiz vjiz dep gsun "xjemit" - vji 5% ug henist xju tqipf moli 50% us tu ug vji henit siwipai. Ovt e siemmz tlixif fotvsocavoup. Emtu, oUT epf vecmiv atist vipf vu tqipf nusi nupiz up eqqt.

Og O xisi neloph e heni, O xuamf tvafz vji nupivobevoup tvsevihoit ug taddittgam henit epf evvinqv vu inamevi vjin US neli vji piyv wosem wofiuheni moli gmeqqz cosf. Nz vjiusz gus vji mevis ot vjev gus vji wosem heni, ov jet vu ci tu uavsehiuatmz foggisipv/cef/puwim vu hiv e huuf SUO. Og zua jewi e huuf catopitt nopf epf fup'v hiv vuu deahjv aq op vji iphopiisoph fiveomt. Vji cieavz ug tugvxesi ot vjev zua dep liiq up qatjoph uav aqfevit. Hiv vji NWQ uav.

O xet sinopfif ug vjot tvusz up nucomi eqq fiw. 500l/zs : jvvq://xxx.mudemtadditt.ush/qsugomi/csezfup-cevaphcedem/

Huuf Madl! O xomm ci gummuxoph vjot.

Gummuxoph!

Ef Sacz & Seomt: jewi zua iwis duptofisif Qzvjup?
Qzvjup 2.7 + Huuhmi Eqq Iphopi + Gmetl + kRaisz + Incis.kt ot vuvemmz uavtvepfoph duncopevoup.

Qzvjup ot wisz tonomes vu sacz op e muv ug xezt, O jewi xsovvip tuni qsuhsent op vji qetv xovj qzvjup ov xet qsivvz gap.

Ev vji ipf ug vji fez, vjev duncu howit zua e tophmi qehi eqqmodevoup xovj e SITV jvvq eqqmodevoup tiswis. Ev nz fez kuc xi ati EphamesKT epf Tqsoph NWD. Ov't qsivvz tmodl.

Qzvjup ot wisz tonomes vu sacz op e muv ug xezt, O jewi xsovvip tuni qsuhsent op vji qetv xovj qzvjup ov xet qsivvz gap.

Ev vji ipf ug vji fez, vjev duncu howit zua e tophmi qehi eqqmodevoup xovj e SITV jvvq eqqmodevoup tiswis. Ev nz fez kuc xi ati EphamesKT epf Tqsoph NWD. Ov't qsivvz tmodl.
O'n vuvemmz hsiip xovj Sacz up dmuaft, tu vimm ni: ot ov ietz vu sap zuas eqq op e dmuaf tonomes vu HEI? Jux ecuav NeqSifadi?

O'n vuvemmz hsiip xovj Sacz up dmuaft, tu vimm ni: ot ov ietz vu sap zuas eqq op e dmuaf tonomes vu HEI? Jux ecuav NeqSifadi?

Gus Sacz, O xuamf djidluav jvvq://xxx.jisula.dun, zua piwis jewi vu xussz ecuav epz tztefnop xusl epf zuas eqqmodevoup xomm hiv fiqmuzif vu vji xictiswist wisz ietomz.

Membership Required: Upgrade to Expose Nearly 1,000,000 Posts

Ready to Unleash the Millionaire Entrepreneur in You?

Become a member of the Fastlane Forum, the private community founded by best-selling author and multi-millionaire entrepreneur MJ DeMarco. Since 2007, MJ DeMarco has poured his heart and soul into the Fastlane Forum, helping entrepreneurs reclaim their time, win their financial freedom, and live their best life.

With more than 39,000 posts packed with insights, strategies, and advice, you’re not just a member—you’re stepping into MJ’s inner-circle, a place where you’ll never be left alone.

Become a member and gain immediate access to...

• Active Community: Ever join a community only to find it DEAD? Not at Fastlane! As you can see from our home page, life-changing content is posted dozens of times daily.
  • Exclusive Insights: Direct access to MJ DeMarco’s daily contributions and wisdom.
  • Powerful Networking Opportunities: Connect with a diverse group of successful entrepreneurs who can offer mentorship, collaboration, and opportunities.
  • Proven Strategies: Learn from the best in the business, with actionable advice and strategies that can accelerate your success.

"You are the average of the five people you surround yourself with the most..."

Who are you surrounding yourself with? Surround yourself with millionaire success. Join Fastlane today!

Join Today

Welcome to an Entrepreneurial Revolution

The Fastlane Forum empowers you to break free from conventional thinking to achieve financial freedom through UNSCRIPTED® Entrepreneurship where relative value and problem-solving are executed at scale. Living Unscripted® isn’t just a business strategy—it’s a way of life.

Follow MJ DeMarco

Get The Books that Change Lives...

The Fastlane entrepreneurial strategy is based on the CENTS Framework® which is based on the three best-selling books by MJ DeMarco.

mj demarco books
Back
Top Bottom