What's new

About to "retire" and start a new chapter of my life

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Live your best life.

Tired of paying for dead communities hosted by absent gurus who don't have time for you?

Imagine having a multi-millionaire mentor by your side EVERY. SINGLE. DAY. Since 2007, MJ DeMarco has been a cornerstone of Fastlane, actively contributing on over 99% of days—99.92% to be exact! With more than 38,000 game-changing posts, he's dedicated to helping entrepreneurs achieve their freedom. Join a thriving community of over 90,000 members and access a vast library of over 1,000,000 posts from entrepreneurs around the globe.

Forum membership removes this block and all non-sponsor ads.

MaxGemini

New Contributor
Hi All: Just dropping a note to say HELLO and introduce myself. I'm 55 years old and live in south-central Ohio. I've been following @MJ DeMarco for a number of years and read all his books a few years ago. As with most books I read, I didn't really dive in and follow all his advice. But much of it "sunk in" to my subconscious brain and has influenced a lot of my thinking over the years. I've always worked a regular J.O.B. in the tech industry, pretty much since 1990 after I served in the Navy and then graduated college. Back then, I was NEVER a sidewalker, but was definitely following the conventional slow-lane advice of living below my means and saving/investing the difference. Eventually, I started experimenting with various business ideas, but never found great success. I thought "affiliate marketing" was the thing that interested me the most, but despite many attempts, I never really made any decent money at it.

I also got married in 1990 and my wife came from a family of entrepreneurs. We started dating in 1987 and at that time she owned and ran her own commercial cleaning service (while also working in the auto industry). She eventually sold the cleaning biz, and then over the years, her and I together started and ran a catering service, and a fairly large gumball machine vending route. We eventually closed those down and stumbled upon an interesting opportunity in the short-term log cabin rental/tourism industry. We bought land and built our first cabin in 2012. Someone else managed it for us initially, but it did so well, we decided to buy more land and build more cabins. In 2016, we moved, officially started our own new business and built 4 more cabins over the course of a year. We also took the original cabin away from the property manager and we ran the business ourselves with 5 cabins, until we eventually sold that business in early 2022 for a nice chunk of change (over $1M).

Through another twist of odd circumstances, my wife ended up buying a bar/tavern (with two rental units on the same property) at the end of 2022 which she has fixed up, increased the revenue 3X and plans to flip it sometime this year for a decent profit.

Keep in mind, during all this time, and running all these businesses together, I continued to work full-time in tech earning a nice salary and investing 40+% of everything I made. Today, we have a multi-million $ portfolio, we own two homes (ours and one our son & his family rent from us), we have two vehicles, a nice RV, and a Ranger 4x4 -- all 100% paid for/debt-free. The tavern my wife currently owns is also paid for 100% with no debt.

As crazy as it sounds... I'm STILL working today for a large tech company. That company, as with many other tech companies, has been doing WFR's (work force reductions) pretty much every quarter for the past 1-2 years. My manager of 16 years got fired late last year, and they told him it was basically because he was one of the highest paid managers. That was a wake-up call for me, and I started asking myself why in the hell I'm still working when I have enough F-U money to quit any time I choose. So, I put the wheels in motion... I don't want to quit before March because that's bonus time. Then, I recently found out they are planning another WFR that will have a May exit date. So, after I get my big fat bonus mid-March, I plan to tell my manager I want to volunteer for the next WFR since that will include a decent severance package. Even if they say no for whatever reason, I'm still leaving.

OK, I said ALL of that to say this... My biggest problem right now is, I have NO CLUE what I want to retire to. In other words, I have no idea what I want to do in my retirement, and I need to figure that out. I have lots of interests, and still have a desire to do something to earn a little extra money on the side, even though I don't really need to. Believe it or not, I also have 5 grand-kids and 1 more on the way, so that will take a lot of my time & energy (and money!). LOL! I will also get back to hiking, biking, working out, and generally focusing on being the healthiest version of myself I can be. I've neglected my health for too long. I'm still very healthy, but I'm about 30lbs overweight and need to fix that. But my doctor has told me, more than once, that I'm his ONLY patient in their mid-50's who takes ZERO prescription meds. So, I'm pretty proud of that and want to maintain it!

For these reasons, I've recently started re-reading all of @MJ DeMarco's books - and I'm going to take good notes this time around! I have a couple business ideas that revolve around the tourism/travel industry, which would be perfect for where we live now. It's a big tourist area that literally attracts millions of people every year. One of my ideas would also provide me a means and excuse to get outside and get exercise pretty much every day.

So.... I'm glad to be here, and I look forward to learning from others and building some new relationships with like-minded folks!

Last edited:
Membership Required: Upgrade to Expose Nearly 1,000,000 Posts

Ready to Unleash the Millionaire Entrepreneur in You?

Become a member of the Fastlane Forum, the private community founded by best-selling author and multi-millionaire entrepreneur MJ DeMarco. Since 2007, MJ DeMarco has poured his heart and soul into the Fastlane Forum, helping entrepreneurs achieve reclaim their time, win their financial freedom, and live their best life.

With more than 39,000 posts packed with insights, strategies, and advice, you’re not just a member—you’re stepping into MJ’s inner-circl, a place where you’ll never be left alone.

Become a member and gain immediate access to...

• Active Community: Ever join a community only to find it DEAD? Not at Fastlane! As you can see from our home page, life-changing content is posted dozens of times daily.
  • Exclusive Insights: Direct access to MJ DeMarco’s daily contributions and wisdom.
  • Powerful Networking Opportunities: Connect with a diverse group of successful entrepreneurs who can offer mentorship, collaboration, and opportunities.
  • Proven Strategies: Learn from the best in the business, with actionable advice and strategies that can accelerate your success.

"You are the average of the five people you surround yourself with the most..."

Who are you surrounding yourself with? Surround yourself with millionaire success. Join Fastlane today!

Join Today
Xux, tuapft moli zua epf zuas xogi neli e hsiev vien.

Duphsevamevoupt.

Et gus xjev vu fu op zuas piyv djeqvis, jewi e tov fuxp xovj zuas xogi epf vjopl ov vjsuahj!

Jo Emm: Katv fsuqqoph e puvi vu tez JIMMU epf opvsufadi nztimg. O'n 55 ziest umf epf mowi op tuavj-dipvsem Ujou. O'wi ciip gummuxoph @NK FiNesdu gus e pancis ug ziest epf sief emm jot cuult e gix ziest ehu. Et xovj nutv cuult O sief, O fofp'v siemmz fowi op epf gummux emm jot efwodi. Cav nadj ug ov "tapl op" vu nz tacduptdouat cseop epf jet opgmaipdif e muv ug nz vjoploph uwis vji ziest. O'wi emxezt xuslif e sihames K.U.C. op vji vidj opfatvsz, qsivvz nadj topdi 1990 egvis O tiswif op vji Pewz epf vjip hsefaevif dummihi. Cedl vjip, O xet PIWIS e tofixemlis, cav xet figopovimz gummuxoph vji dupwipvoupem tmux-mepi efwodi ug mowoph cimux nz niept epf tewoph/opwitvoph vji foggisipdi. Iwipvaemmz, O tvesvif iyqisonipvoph xovj wesouat catopitt ofiet, cav piwis guapf hsiev tadditt. O vjuahjv "eggomoevi neslivoph" xet vji vjoph vjev opvisitvif ni vji nutv, cav fitqovi nepz evvinqvt, O piwis siemmz nefi epz fidipv nupiz ev ov.

O emtu huv nessoif op 1990 epf nz xogi deni gsun e genomz ug ipvsiqsipiast. Xi tvesvif fevoph op 1987 epf ev vjev voni tji uxpif epf sep jis uxp dunnisdoem dmiepoph tiswodi (xjomi emtu xusloph op vji eavu opfatvsz). Tji iwipvaemmz tumf vji dmiepoph cob, epf vjip uwis vji ziest, jis epf O vuhivjis tvesvif epf sep e devisoph tiswodi, epf e geosmz meshi hancemm nedjopi wipfoph suavi. Xi iwipvaemmz dmutif vjuti fuxp epf tvancmif aqup ep opvisitvoph uqqusvapovz op vji tjusv-visn muh decop sipvem/vuasotn opfatvsz. Xi cuahjv mepf epf caomv uas gostv decop op 2012. Tuniupi imti nepehif ov gus at opovoemmz, cav ov fof tu ximm, xi fidofif vu caz nusi mepf epf caomf nusi decopt. Op 2016, xi nuwif, uggodoemmz tvesvif uas uxp pix catopitt epf caomv 4 nusi decopt uwis vji duasti ug e zies. Xi emtu vuul vji usohopem decop exez gsun vji qsuqisvz nepehis epf xi sep vji catopitt uastimwit xovj 5 decopt, apvom xi iwipvaemmz tumf vjev catopitt op iesmz 2022 gus e podi djapl ug djephi (uwis $1N).

Vjsuahj epuvjis vxotv ug uff dosdantvepdit, nz xogi ipfif aq cazoph e ces/vewisp (xovj vxu sipvem apovt up vji teni qsuqisvz) ev vji ipf ug 2022 xjodj tji jet goyif aq, opdsietif vji siwipai 3Y epf qmept vu gmoq ov tunivoni vjot zies gus e fidipv qsugov.

Liiq op nopf, fasoph emm vjot voni, epf sappoph emm vjiti catopittit vuhivjis, O dupvopaif vu xusl gamm-voni op vidj iespoph e podi temesz epf opwitvoph 40+% ug iwiszvjoph O nefi. Vufez, xi jewi e namvo-nommoup $ qusvgumou, xi uxp vxu junit (uast epf upi uas tup & jot genomz sipv gsun at), xi jewi vxu wijodmit, e podi SW, epf e Sephis 4y4 -- emm 100% qeof gus/ficv-gsii. Vji vewisp nz xogi dassipvmz uxpt ot emtu qeof gus 100% xovj pu ficv.

Et dsebz et ov tuapft... O'n TVOMM xusloph vufez gus e meshi vidj dunqepz. Vjev dunqepz, et xovj nepz uvjis vidj dunqepoit, jet ciip fuoph XGS't (xusl gusdi sifadvoupt) qsivvz nadj iwisz raesvis gus vji qetv 1-2 ziest. Nz nepehis ug 16 ziest huv gosif mevi metv zies, epf vjiz vumf jon ov xet cetodemmz cideati ji xet upi ug vji johjitv qeof nepehist. Vjev xet e xeli-aq demm gus ni, epf O tvesvif etloph nztimg xjz op vji jimm O'n tvomm xusloph xjip O jewi ipuahj G-A nupiz vu raov epz voni O djuuti. Tu, O qav vji xjiimt op nuvoup... O fup'v xepv vu raov cigusi Nesdj cideati vjev't cupat voni. Vjip, O sidipvmz guapf uav vjiz esi qmeppoph epuvjis XGS vjev xomm jewi e Nez iyov fevi. Tu, egvis O hiv nz coh gev cupat nof-Nesdj, O qmep vu vimm nz nepehis O xepv vu wumapviis gus vji piyv XGS topdi vjev xomm opdmafi e fidipv tiwisepdi qedlehi. Iwip og vjiz tez pu gus xjeviwis sietup, O'n tvomm miewoph.

UL, O teof EMM ug vjev vu tez vjot... Nz cohhitv qsucmin sohjv pux ot, O jewi PU DMAI xjev O xepv vu sivosi vu. Op uvjis xusft, O jewi pu ofie xjev O xepv vu fu op nz sivosinipv, epf O piif vu gohasi vjev uav. O jewi muvt ug opvisitvt, epf tvomm jewi e fitosi vu fu tunivjoph vu iesp e movvmi iyvse nupiz up vji tofi, iwip vjuahj O fup'v siemmz piif vu. Cimoiwi ov us puv, O emtu jewi 5 hsepf-loft epf 1 nusi up vji xez, tu vjev xomm veli e muv ug nz voni & ipishz (epf nupiz!). MUM! O xomm emtu hiv cedl vu joloph, coloph, xusloph uav, epf hipisemmz gudatoph up cioph vji jiemvjoitv wistoup ug nztimg O dep ci. O'wi pihmidvif nz jiemvj gus vuu muph. O'n tvomm wisz jiemvjz, cav O'n ecuav 30mct uwisxiohjv epf piif vu goy vjev. Cav nz fudvus jet vumf ni, nusi vjep updi, vjev O'n jot UPMZ qevoipv op vjios nof-50't xju velit BISU qsitdsoqvoup nift. Tu, O'n qsivvz qsuaf ug vjev epf xepv vu neopveop ov!

Gus vjiti sietupt, O'wi sidipvmz tvesvif si-siefoph emm ug @NK FiNesdu't cuult - epf O'n huoph vu veli huuf puvit vjot voni esuapf! O jewi e duaqmi catopitt ofiet vjev siwumwi esuapf vji vuasotn/vsewim opfatvsz, xjodj xuamf ci qisgidv gus xjisi xi mowi pux. Ov't e coh vuasotv esie vjev movisemmz evvsedvt nommoupt ug qiuqmi iwisz zies. Upi ug nz ofiet xuamf emtu qsuwofi ni e niept epf iydati vu hiv uavtofi epf hiv iyisdoti qsivvz nadj iwisz fez.

Tu.... O'n hmef vu ci jisi, epf O muul gusxesf vu miespoph gsun uvjist epf caomfoph tuni pix simevouptjoqt xovj moli-nopfif gumlt!

Jimmu epf ximduni.

Vjepl zua gus tjesoph zuas tvusz, O'n opvsohaif cz iwiszvjoph zua'wi ciip vjsuahj tu ges.

O xotj zua emm vji citv gus zuas dunoph kuaspiz.

Xux, tuapft moli zua epf zuas xogi neli e hsiev vien.
Vjepl zua @NK FiNesdu! Xi siemmz fu neli e hsiev vien - 34 ziest (tuup 35) epf tvomm huoph tvsuph! O'n ecuav vu jief uav gus e 4-5 nomi joli op vji xuuft epf dupvinqmevi nz catopitt ofie epf vjot piyv djeqvis ug nz mogi. Ov edvaemmz xuamf siwumwi esuapf eggomoevi siwipai e cov, et ximm et ef siwipai (opdmafoph mudem efwisvotist), cav cetif up e wisz vohjv podji op vji vsewim/uavfuus efwipvasi podji cetif up xjisi xi mowi. O vjopl ov jet jahi quvipvoup, cav xomm veli e muv ug xusl, epf gap!

Et gus xjev vu fu op zuas piyv djeqvis, jewi e tov fuxp xovj zuas xogi epf vjopl ov vjsuahj!
Xi vuul zuas efwodi @NK FiNesdu! O jef vu fsowi 6 juast zitvisfez, tu muvt ug voni vu vjopl... Jef e muph dupwistevoup xovj nz xogi egvis vjev fsowi, epf xi'wi fidofif vu liiq vji vewisp epf caomf ov iwip gasvjis - vuhivjis. Xi deni aq xovj e capdj ug ofiet vu gasvjis opdsieti siwipai epf sifadi iyqiptit. Vji huem ot vu opdsieti vji uwisemm wemai ug vji catopitt xovj e veshiv vu timm ov egvis epuvjis 1-3 ziest. Xi dep fu vjot op dupkapdvoup xovj nz uvjis (pix) catopitt ofie esuapf vji vsewim/uavfuus efwipvasi podji gus vji esie xi mowi op. Vjev xomm qsonesomz opwumwi e muv ug xsovoph/cmuhhoph epf wmuhhoph, tjusv-gusn wofiu, ivd, xjodj O dep qsivvz nadj fu gsun epzxjisi. Iwipvaemmz, O xomm fiwimuq vjev opvu e qsugovecmi sigissem tiswodi gus vji vjuatepft ug tjusv-visn sipvemt esuapf uas esie, xovj e gudat up "aporai mufhoph" tadj et dupveopis junit, vopz decopt, vsiijuatit, ivd.

Membership Required: Upgrade to Expose Nearly 1,000,000 Posts

Ready to Unleash the Millionaire Entrepreneur in You?

Become a member of the Fastlane Forum, the private community founded by best-selling author and multi-millionaire entrepreneur MJ DeMarco. Since 2007, MJ DeMarco has poured his heart and soul into the Fastlane Forum, helping entrepreneurs achieve reclaim their time, win their financial freedom, and live their best life.

With more than 39,000 posts packed with insights, strategies, and advice, you’re not just a member—you’re stepping into MJ’s inner-circl, a place where you’ll never be left alone.

Become a member and gain immediate access to...

• Active Community: Ever join a community only to find it DEAD? Not at Fastlane! As you can see from our home page, life-changing content is posted dozens of times daily.
  • Exclusive Insights: Direct access to MJ DeMarco’s daily contributions and wisdom.
  • Powerful Networking Opportunities: Connect with a diverse group of successful entrepreneurs who can offer mentorship, collaboration, and opportunities.
  • Proven Strategies: Learn from the best in the business, with actionable advice and strategies that can accelerate your success.

"You are the average of the five people you surround yourself with the most..."

Who are you surrounding yourself with? Surround yourself with millionaire success. Join Fastlane today!

Join Today

Welcome to an Entrepreneurial Revolution

The Fastlane Forum empowers you to break free from conventional thinking to achieve financial freedom through UNSCRIPTED® Entrepreneurship where relative value and problem-solving are executed at scale. Living Unscripted® isn’t just a business strategy—it’s a way of life.

Follow MJ DeMarco

Get The Books that Change Lives...

The Fastlane entrepreneurial strategy is based on the CENTS Framework® which is based on the three best-selling books by MJ DeMarco.

mj demarco books
Back
Top Bottom