What's new

Advice On Starting A New Business After Last Failed

Share your FTE moment...

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Live your best life.

Tired of paying for dead communities hosted by absent gurus who don't have time for you?

Imagine having a multi-millionaire mentor by your side EVERY. SINGLE. DAY. Since 2007, MJ DeMarco has been a cornerstone of Fastlane, actively contributing on over 99% of days—99.92% to be exact! With more than 38,000 game-changing posts, he's dedicated to helping entrepreneurs achieve their freedom. Join a thriving community of over 90,000 members and access a vast library of over 1,000,000 posts from entrepreneurs around the globe.

Forum membership removes this block and all non-sponsor ads.

selfmadebm

Contributor
Hello Fastlaners

I was hoping to get some advice for my current situation as well as learn a bit more about members in the community by engaging with them.

My question is - how do you go about starting a business? And perhaps you could share how you went about starting your own business?

I realize that question is incredibly general and will likely incur the wrath of most of the members of this forum, but I am ready to take that and will gladly accept whatever real advice anyone is able to offer.

Here is my situation (and why I am asking that question).

I am 26 years old, an entrepreneur at heart, and 100% dedicated to the fastlane. I quit my corporate job when I was 24 to travel the world and start a business. I started a travel blog and after a few months started receiving offers from companies who were interested in buying links. A few months later I was making a few grand a month. I acquired more blogs, started building more blogs, as well as working with other bloggers as a broker for a commission. In total, this "business" profited about $120k for me last year.

But in the last 2-3 months it has pretty much come to an end as a result of exogenous factors, and what was once a $15-$20k a month business is now barely $1k a month.

So I'm pretty much back to square one except:

1) I have a lot more money saved up
2) I have a lot more skills, albeit it nothing particularly tangible that I think I can clearly start a business around
3) I know a lot more people

I am somewhat at a crossroads where I am ready to pursue that next big thing, but not really sure where I want to put my efforts, except that I am ready to be risky and go for the gold.

The problem is that I feel I am much better at growing a business than starting one, and the last one sort of fell into my lap (people came to me and offered to pay me for something, I didn't even have to sell them on the proposition), so I am not sure how to begin again now that it's over.

I have decided to spend some time implementing the methods of the foundation, which is to connect with industry professionals, learn about their business and problems, and see if there is a solution I can provide. I have read some of the threads in here about the foundation and they have not been overly positive, but I think the worst case scenario is I improve my communication skills so it won't be a waste.

I also spent some time brainstorming problems that I feel I have in my own day to day and then seeing if there were viable solutions for them that I could create, and make a business around that. For the most part, however, I did not find anything particularly exciting.

Lastly, I also feel that a lot of businesses come from people getting experience in an industry and then going off on their own or creating something for that industry, but as I left traditional work at 24 my experience is quite limited.

Appreciate your feedback, however harsh it may be!

Membership Required: Upgrade to Expose Nearly 1,000,000 Posts

Ready to Unleash the Millionaire Entrepreneur in You?

Become a member of the Fastlane Forum, the private community founded by best-selling author and multi-millionaire entrepreneur MJ DeMarco. Since 2007, MJ DeMarco has poured his heart and soul into the Fastlane Forum, helping entrepreneurs achieve reclaim their time, win their financial freedom, and live their best life.

With more than 39,000 posts packed with insights, strategies, and advice, you’re not just a member—you’re stepping into MJ’s inner-circl, a place where you’ll never be left alone.

Become a member and gain immediate access to...

• Active Community: Ever join a community only to find it DEAD? Not at Fastlane! As you can see from our home page, life-changing content is posted dozens of times daily.
  • Exclusive Insights: Direct access to MJ DeMarco’s daily contributions and wisdom.
  • Powerful Networking Opportunities: Connect with a diverse group of successful entrepreneurs who can offer mentorship, collaboration, and opportunities.
  • Proven Strategies: Learn from the best in the business, with actionable advice and strategies that can accelerate your success.

"You are the average of the five people you surround yourself with the most..."

Who are you surrounding yourself with? Surround yourself with millionaire success. Join Fastlane today!

Join Today
Jewi zua sief Vji Nommoupeosi Getv Mepi?

Zit O jewi, metv zies, - ot vjisi tunivjoph op qesvodames zua'si sigissoph vu op vji cuul?

Topdi zua jewi tuni tlommt epf tuni iyqisoipdi gsun zuas vsewim cmuh/ dunnottoup cetif catopitt, xjz fup'v zua tvesv e catopitt esuapf xjev zua esi emsiefz genomoes xovj. Zua fup'v piif e wetv enuapv ug iyqisoipdi xjip tvesvoph e pix catopitt, zua miesp et zua hsux epf topdi zua emsiefz lpux e muv nusi qiuqmi zua duamf veq vjin gus jimq/ ofiet xjipiwis piifif.
Og zua giim zua esi nadj civvis ev hsuxoph e catopitt, xjz fup'v zua tvesv upi gsun vji guapfevoup epf hsux ov. Vjev xez zua gopf uav jux ges zuas ipvsiqsipiasoem nopf dep ci tvsivdjif.

"Vji Apinqmuzif Nommoupesi- Nevv Nussot" - Zua tjuamf sief vji ov og zua jewip'v....

1tv...ximduni vu vji gusan !
Zua katv tohpif aq tu sief, sief, sief. Vji "Humf" vjsieft esi hsiev. Xjip zua dep, og zua'si tisouat, O sidunnipf kuopoph vji "Optofist".

et e sitamv ug iyuhipuat gedvust
Og zua fup'v xepv vu imecusevi...duum. Xet ov e sitamv ug e cef fidotoup up zuas qesv ? Tunivjoph vjev siemmz xet puv apfis zuas dupvsum ? Nusi onqusvepvmz...ot ot tunivjoph vjev zua miespif gsun epf dep qsiwipv gsun jeqqipoph eheop ?

Zua xisi taddittgam ev cmuhhoph...xjz puv qastai ov eheop ?

Og zua jewi e huuf pivxusl...nezci muul ev xjev catopittit vjiz'si op epf ov xomm tjux zua uqqusvapovoit, qsucmint vjev piif tumwif, us piift niv.

Zit, ov xet siemmz iyuhipuat gedvust epf uav ug nz dupvsum o.i huuhmi emhusovjnod djephit epf e fidsieti op finepf gsun nz dmoipvt, tu vu tqiel, up edduapv ug Huuhmi dsedloph fuxp up vji opfatvsz et e xjumi. (tuni coh dmoipvt huv jov xovj huuhmi qipemvoit epf sinuwif gsun vji tisqt)

Ov xet puv e tatveopecmi catopitt gsun vji tvesv epf iwipvaemmz xuamf duni vu ep ipf. Ov xet nusi moli ep uqqusvapovz vjev O xet iyqmuovoph jesfdusi, vjuahj ov jef tonomesovoit vu e catopitt.

Vji miespoph xet puv vu ci tu iyqutif vu iyuhipuat gedvust moli vjev epf tvesv e catopitt xjodj ot nusi tatveopecmi.

O en muuloph opvu e catopitt esuapf dupvipv neslivoph, topdi vjev ot xjev O lpux, vjeplt gus vji tahhitvoupt.

Og zua duptofis vjev e geomasi vjip o fup'v lpux xjev vu vimm zua

Zuas xet fiqipfif up huuhmi't tjov. Og zua esi e vuahj cmuhhis, xjz puv hu up vjot tvagg. Xsovi icuul ecuav zuas vsewim. Us tvesv e pix vsewim epf fu e feomz wofiu muh ecuav ov.
Tiint zua katv piif simuef zuas catopitt.

O en qsucecmz cioph jestj up nztimg demmoph ov e geomasi, ov katv ot wisz appiswoph vu hu gsun neloph e muv vu neloph e movvmi tu raodlmz.

O xuamf moli vu tvez exez gsun vsewim epf icuult epf vjopht moli vjev. Vu ci jupitv O giim moli ov ot nutvmz vsefoph voni gus fummest. O dep fu vjuti vjopht epf hipisevi ep opduni, ul, hsiev.

Cav O'f sevjis hu gus vji coh ofie - vji piyv catopitt vjev ot tatveopecmi epf jet nommoup fummes quvipvoem.

O hiv ov, iwiszupi xuamf moli vjev. Qisjeqt tuni qiuqmi op vjot gusan emsiefz jewi ov. O xupfis jux vjiz xipv gsun xjisi O xet vu vjev - jux fof vjiz "tii" ov?

Zua piif vu hu cedl epf epemzbi vji djoplt op vji esnus vjev deatif zuas 'geomasi'. O qav ov op rauvevoupt cideati ov tuapft et vjuahj ov xet fuunif gsun vji tvesv, ziv zua tvomm nepehif vu traiibi tactvepvoem iespopht gsun ov. Epemzbi xjev zua jewi miespif epf eqqmz ov vu e pix qsucmin ewuofoph vji notvelit nefi qsous.

Membership Required: Upgrade to Expose Nearly 1,000,000 Posts

Ready to Unleash the Millionaire Entrepreneur in You?

Become a member of the Fastlane Forum, the private community founded by best-selling author and multi-millionaire entrepreneur MJ DeMarco. Since 2007, MJ DeMarco has poured his heart and soul into the Fastlane Forum, helping entrepreneurs achieve reclaim their time, win their financial freedom, and live their best life.

With more than 39,000 posts packed with insights, strategies, and advice, you’re not just a member—you’re stepping into MJ’s inner-circl, a place where you’ll never be left alone.

Become a member and gain immediate access to...

• Active Community: Ever join a community only to find it DEAD? Not at Fastlane! As you can see from our home page, life-changing content is posted dozens of times daily.
  • Exclusive Insights: Direct access to MJ DeMarco’s daily contributions and wisdom.
  • Powerful Networking Opportunities: Connect with a diverse group of successful entrepreneurs who can offer mentorship, collaboration, and opportunities.
  • Proven Strategies: Learn from the best in the business, with actionable advice and strategies that can accelerate your success.

"You are the average of the five people you surround yourself with the most..."

Who are you surrounding yourself with? Surround yourself with millionaire success. Join Fastlane today!

Join Today

Featured content

More Intros...

Welcome to an Entrepreneurial Revolution

The Fastlane Forum empowers you to break free from conventional thinking to achieve financial freedom through UNSCRIPTED® Entrepreneurship where relative value and problem-solving are executed at scale. Living Unscripted® isn’t just a business strategy—it’s a way of life.

Follow MJ DeMarco

Get The Books that Change Lives...

The Fastlane entrepreneurial strategy is based on the CENTS Framework® which is based on the three best-selling books by MJ DeMarco.

mj demarco books
Back
Top Bottom