The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Amazon Sellers: how important is your copywriting in amz listings?

Marketing, social media, advertising

Ultralite

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
115%
Jan 2, 2016
I've been on amazon for about a year, I learned about copywriting along the way and changed the copy in my listings as I got better. I don't have many products, so maybe it's because my sample size is small, but I haven't noticed much increase in conversions.

Do amazon buyers read the listings at all? or do they focus mostly on pics and bullet points? (I have great photos though).

What's your opinion guys? Which do you think converts better on amazon? Long, detailed copy or short, easy to scan copy? or who cares, they don't read it anyway?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

wade1mil

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
246%
Jun 29, 2011
Not sure what the best practice is, but I almost never read the bullets or description on Amazon unless there is a specific thing I need like a measurement. I personally find traditional copy on Amazon to be "tryhard" and sets off an unconscious red flag in my head. I usually search for top rated products in a particular category with 300+ reviews. I pay attention to how many reviews there are, the overall rating and maybe read a few three star ratings if I'm comparing more than one product.

Ultralite

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
115%
Jan 2, 2016
Not sure what the best practice is, but I almost never read the bullets or description on Amazon unless there is a specific thing I need like a measurement. I personally find traditional copy on Amazon to be "tryhard" and sets off an unconscious red flag in my head. I usually search for top rated products in a particular category with 300+ reviews. I pay attention to how many reviews there are, the overall rating and maybe read a few three star ratings if I'm comparing more than one product.
Yeah that's how I shop too, but I thought it might be because I read so much marketing stuff I'm numb to it.

I'm going to search more about how people shop on Amazon.

Vigilante

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Oct 31, 2011
Gulf Coast
Everything is important. There's no one answer. Some customers like pictures, some like copy. Some read bullet points, some go to your web site. Some sort by best sellers, some sort by reviews, some sort by price. Some like little companies, some like large companies. Some like tons of content, some bitch about tons of content. Some like videos, some don't. Some like reviews, some distrust reviews. You're dealing with people. They're all different. People who tell you nobody reads is wrong. People who tell you people read copy are also wrong. It all depends on the individual.

Mattie

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
129%
May 28, 2014
U.S.
I think copy does matter in my opinion. It really describes what's in the book and whether someone wants to read it or not. I'm still learning myself on copy writing, but I can see that the better you write the clearer it becomes for readers no matter what you're writing.

Ultralite

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
115%
Jan 2, 2016
I think copy does matter in my opinion. It really describes what's in the book and whether someone wants to read it or not. I'm still learning myself on copy writing, but I can see that the better you write the clearer it becomes for readers no matter what you're writing.

I sell a physical product, sometimes customers return and get mad when it's not what they expected because they didn't look through all the pics or read the description. I'm just going to fix what they complained about in the subsequent shipments.

JDawg

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
245%
Dec 31, 2015
United States
I agree with Vigilante & Mattie on this one as well. I think copywriting is important, because you don't know what a customer is going to rely on before making a purchasing decision.

When I'm buying on Amazon, I actually tend to scroll down and just glance at the description to make sure it's there.. Haha, but rarely do I actually read it.

I'm still learning a lot as well on Amazon, but I'm definitely a believer in optimizing your listings & presenting yourself as best as possible - even if it takes some extra work.

BigBrianC

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
129%
Dec 31, 2014
Athens, Georgia
Like @Vigilante said, it's up to the individual. But I think it's very possible you lose sales if you have crummy copy. @wade1mil said he feels the copy is "tryhard". So that means it's bad. What if he read good copy? He'd probably buy that product.

MMatt

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
98%
Nov 14, 2011
The best sales copy in the world is a great product. Copy may sell but it won't make a happy customer if they take the bait and are dissapointed by a poor product. Good copy can always help sales as long as the copy is true to the product, and you aren't attempting to psycologically manipulate a customer to buy your inferior product.

Look at infomercials for example, according to the commercial the items are always incredible high quality pieces of equipment that do their job flawlessly. Then you use the product in person and realize the commercials were set up in unrealistic scenarios and are $.50 mass produced units of the lowest possible quality.

Moral of the story; only write highly appealing sales copy if your product can DELIVER your promises...at least if you are attempting to build a sustainable business that is.

If a sustainable business is not your objective and you are just chasing quick sales and short term cash flow then have at it!

Vigilante

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Oct 31, 2011
Gulf Coast

wade1mil

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
246%
Jun 29, 2011
So that means it's bad. What if he read good copy? He'd probably buy that product.
Copy isn't bad - or did you mean "tryhard" copy is poorly written? I'd agree with that.

I look at it like this. Amazon is THE place online to buy stuff online. I only purchase FBA products on Amazon. If it's fulfilled by the seller, I don't buy it (unless it's $15 or something). If the product doesn't live up to my expectations, I return it. Amazon's return policy is way more important to me than the best copy in the world. Copy on Amazon to me is like Apple writing a 10 page sales letter about the new iPhone. It's overkill. I already trust you (via Amazon), just show me the phone.

But, like Vig said - everyone is different. I'd include everything you can to satisfy as many buyers as possible, including copy.

Unknown

Fastlane-ish
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
177%
Mar 31, 2014
Your copy also effects the Amazon search engine. If you're selling socks you don't want to compete on the search term socks (you'll never win). You want to compete on the search term "athletic low rise black socks", or whatever socks you're selling. Of course if you put that phrase into your copy over and over you'll get caught keyword stuffing and your keywords will be ignored. You'd want to try something like "If you're an athletic person you understand that low rise socks just feel better sometimes. Our socks come in black and white so you can choose the sock color for the athlete in your life. " I'd then describe the socks repeatedly finding ways to fit my search terms in a mostly natural looking way.

User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
Mar 22, 2016
I've been on amazon for about a year, I learned about copywriting along the way and changed the copy in my listings as I got better. I don't have many products, so maybe it's because my sample size is small, but I haven't noticed much increase in conversions.

Do amazon buyers read the listings at all? or do they focus mostly on pics and bullet points? (I have great photos though).

What's your opinion guys? Which do you think converts better on amazon? Long, detailed copy or short, easy to scan copy? or who cares, they don't read it anyway?

Just thought I'd share this post I came across by my friend who posted in here: http://community.amztracker.com/discussion/comment/3266/#Comment_3266 - talks about some simple copywriting tips to help boost sales, haven't tried it myself as I'm not at that stage yet but figured it was a pretty useful post so thought I'd share it

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.