The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Ambiente Fair: Looking for Importing Advice

Anything related to sourcing or importing products.

RoadTrip

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
162%
Nov 27, 2012
So after some failed ventures to which I can go into detail another time I've decided to focus on importing high quality products and start selling by using Amazon as a seller platform. The past few weeks I've been very busy researching profitable products and sourcing products to sell. So far I've identified a few products (20-40 dollar mark) and today I've placed my first sample order for one product. I'm really looking forward to receiving my samples and get the traction started.

Currently, there is also a fair going on in Germany (Ambiente Fair, 3rd biggest fair in the world for my niche). It's seems like a great opportunity to test and find new, trendy and quality products and build relationships with suppliers. So I'm wondering what kind of advice would you give a beginning importer like me if I attend this fair?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.
Last edited:

Walter Hay

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
401%
Sep 13, 2014
World citizen
So after some failed ventures to which I can go into detail another time I've decided to focus on importing high quality products and start selling by using Amazon as a seller platform. The past few weeks I've been very busy researching profitable products and sourcing products to sell. So far I've identified a few products (20-40 dollar mark) and today I've placed my first sample order for one product. I'm really looking forward to receiving my samples and get the traction started.

Currently, there is also a fair going on in Germany (Ambiente Fair, 3rd biggest fair in the world for my niche). It's seems like a great opportunity to test and find new, trendy and quality products and build relationships with suppliers. So I'm wondering what kind of advice would you give a beginning importer like me if I attend this fair?
Ambiente is a huge fair with over 4700 exhibitors and that could present a problem for you. I hope you have set aside a few days to get around the fair. There are many exhibitors from the EU, and that may open up possibilities if you are thinking of selling in the USA.

With so many US exhibitors also, you may well find opportunities for importing to the EU and selling there.

The fair starts tomorrow, so you have possibly left it a bit late to do the kind of preparation I would usually recommend, but here are a few suggestions:
  • Narrow down your targets by niche, check the exhibition plan and locate all the exhibitors you want to be sure to visit, and go directly to them, trying to avoid distractions on the way.
  • Even while doing that, keep your eyes open to possibilities that you may not have thought of.
  • Walk as quickly as the crowds will allow. That is not only time saving, but it is less tiring than shuffling along.
  • Don't commit yourself on your first contact.
  • Avoid those that are obviously traders or wholesalers.
  • Inspect the products with a very critical eye. If there are faults or blemishes in display items, are production runs going to be any better?
  • Obtain samples on the spot if practical. The fair is not open to the general public so exhibitors should be prepared for such requests.
I will be pleased to learn how you get on.

Vigilante

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Oct 31, 2011
Gulf Coast
Also, look for the smaller booths, with less impressive presentations. The big guys with the huge budgets and the established distribution systems don't need you. You're looking for unique products from companies that have no established distribution in your country.

RoadTrip

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
162%
Nov 27, 2012
Thanks to both for your advice, it's highly appreciated.

The plan is to get up at 4am tomorrow, put on a nice suit and take the 5 hour drive. Meaning I'll be in at around 10am. I'll see how far I will get tomorrow (it's a massive fair indeed) and decide in the afternoon whether I will stay overnight and attend the fair on Sunday as well. Monday is back in the office day for me.

I'll get back with an update after the weekend.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

RoadTrip

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
162%
Nov 27, 2012
I went to the fair last Saturday. As expected the fair was MASSIVE. If this is the 3rd largest fair in the world in this niche I don't even want to know what the largest fair is like. There were several halls, divided by kitchen and dining, living and some other halls. I focused on only one area. Like I mentioned I wore a suit, definitely recommended! Lot's of people approaching me just because I looked formal and serious.

Despite the size I was still able to cover a lot of ground and visited all the spots I wanted to see. I'm really glad I went since I've picked up a lot of knowledge by only visiting this fair one day. Things I wouldn't have been able to grasp by just sitting behind my pc. Also, I found one of the suppliers I was already negotiating with for a particular product and found I didn't like the quality enough. Not spending the money on a sample order plus shipping already paid back the fuel and entrance fee.

I've found the main halls where EU and USA manufacturers where based the most interesting and valuable. I've definitely been able to spot new trends, find companies without distribution in either EU or USA and even found some of the smaller companies who are just starting out and looking for any type of distribution. I got loads of business cards and brochures. I found that some companies where even happy to receive MOQ's of just one product! Imagine that.

However, the sourcing halls, the halls where the Asian companies were situated, were extremely disappointing. I had expected to find new and unique products. Instead, I found lots of already existing products of LOW quality. To be honest, I didn't like the selection and quality at all. You can definitely tell the difference between EU/USA products and Chinese made products. The western produced products were beautiful, innovative and of high quality. The majority of the Asian manufactured product were none of that. Maybe the fairs in Asia are a better source for finding Asian manufacturers, Alibaba at least already seems a lot more promising than what I have seen.

Although tomorrow I'm expecting my first sample order from an Asian manufacturer, it may be best to focus on western manufacturers for future products. If the quality of my sample order is great, I still continue with this product but I after this I might really prefer trying some of the western manufacturers with branded products I found.

The problem with this, however, is that anyone would be able to see the brand and contact the manufacturer themselves. If you have any advice on how to deal with this, it will be very welcome. I also found that some of the manufacturers are not keen on the Amazon platform for the price wars. They want their high quality products to have the perception of high quality, something that a low price will undo.

Walter Hay

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
401%
Sep 13, 2014
World citizen
Your update is a valuable contribution to the subject of product sourcing. Thanks.

Even something as simple as wearing a suit is worth noting. I always do when I visit fairs and consequently I think that is normal, but your experience highlights the importance of your own presentation. Although you are a buyer, you still have to sell yourself as a serious businessman.

Your comments about US and EU manufacturers highlights the benefits of thinking outside the box. China is not the only place to buy, and if you want to establish a good name for your business it is worth considering looking elsewhere.

You have also discovered that a lot of Chinese exhibitors at trade fairs tend to be very ordinary. This is why I recommend doing your research before attending. Face to face discussions are hard to beat, but you have to be talking to the right people to start with.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.