• Forum Upgrades Ongoing: Please pardon the dust. Starting Saturday afternoon 3 PM (MST) 6PM (EST) and for the next 48 hours, the forum will be undergoing style modifications and may not appear as normal. Please be patient as modifications are performed...
    Thanks, MJ!

MARKETING Anatomy of a Launch Success

Marketing, social media, advertising

Cameraman

Silver Contributor
LEGACY MEMBER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Post/Like Ratio
213%
Register now
You must login or register for fastlane membership to view hidden content on this page.
I recently launched a new course after being inspired by @Lex DeVille in another thread. I’ve been selling courses for around 10 years but struggled to turn a profit. This time, things were different, and my first two weeks generated over 300% more revenue than my previously most successful course did in its entire lifetime.

My usual launch consists of a couple of emails announcing a new product with a discount for subscribers. I also mention the new course in my monthly newsletters. This time, having read “Launch” by Jeff Walker, I wanted to test his launch approach.

The problem I have with the Launch approach is it feels too much, like SPAM, with several emails a day through a launch period. To avoid this, I adapted his system to what I thought my subscribers would accept.

Step 1: Create a launch subscriber list. Anyone interested in the course could register for regular updates and a launch discount.

Step 2: Publish articles in my newsletter announcing I’m working on the course and that people can register for a launch discount.

Step 3: Send regular email news updates with tips about the course to subscribers.

These steps were all about creating a buzz and demand ahead of the launch. Unfortunately, life got in the way, and rather than the planned month between step 1 and the launch (I think Jeff recommends much less than a month), it was around 4 months.

When the product launched, I sent a pre-launch email to 258 people on my list, offering a 10-day launch discount. This was a sizable discount, depending on the purchase. The course (which is in the Hobby space) was offered as an eBook, Video, or combined package, with full prices ranging from £20 to £70.

The first email gained a good response, with around 25% of the list placing an order, even though I hadn’t mailed them in 3 months because of events. I then sent a follow-up email as the discount ended, which did even better. This was probably the scarcity factor. By then, by the end of the pre-launch, I had around 130 orders.

Following the pre-launch, I mailed my entire subscriber list (11,500) with my monthly newsletter, which announced a launch discount for subscribers. This generated as many orders again, which I was surprised about. These people hadn’t shown any interest in registering for the course launch.

I then followed up with another email to my entire subscriber list announcing the launch and discount, even though it had been promoted in the newsletter days earlier. The result was more sales than the previous two announcements. It seems many people don’t act on the discount when it’s mentioned as a newsletter story. The open rate on my newsletter is 60%, so it’s not like it isn’t being read.

So far, I’m into five figures in sales, and I still have more launch steps to go. There’s a reminder email at the end of the discount period. I then have an affiliate partner with a much larger subscriber list who wants to sell the course. Because of my pricing, there are opportunities to offer a good discount on a Black Friday sale. The pricing also allows me to explore Facebook ads at other times.

I’ve been careful with the pricing to ensure I’m at the lower end of what is typically charged for similar courses by well-known providers. I also included three options at different price points. What surprised me was that the mid-priced package hardly sold. Almost 90% of sales came from the cheapest and most expensive options, with an even split between the two. It’s made me realise that I’ve been under-pricing my products in the past, leaving me on a treadmill of producing more courses.

A few of the lessons for me:
  • The launch is important. It seems much better than a soft launch/drip the news into the market approach. It’s at least as important, if not more, as what the product is.
  • People don’t read everything you put out. Even with a 60% open rate, I’m still picking up new people after the third mailing.
  • Pricing is important. It helps generate enough income from a product to create breathing space for the next one. It also allows for discounts and advertising.
I need to test whether I can repeat the success with the next product launch.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.
"struggling to turn profit".

You seem to have the BRO-marketing problem...

"tvsahhmoph vu vasp qsugov".

Zua tiin vu jewi vji CSU-neslivoph qsucmin...
Jux up iesvj fu zua dupdmafi vjev?
Neloph e qsugov ot xjev catopitt ot ecuav. Ov mivt zua siopwitv epf hsux.

Podi xusl @Denisenep!

Natv giim moli zua jewi gopemmz dsedlif vji dufi. O kuopif upi ug Kigg't meapdj xicopest e xjomi cedl, epf nefi e puvi ug jot peni xjip o'n siefz vu meapdj nz uxp duasti (o'n puv tasi og o guapf jon vjsuahj Csipfep Cadjesf us Tesej Dusfopis), O molif jot tvzmi epf eqqsuedj, tu o'n hmef vu jies zua jef tadditt xovj ov.

Fu zua vjopl ov xuamf jewi nefi e foggisipdi (lpuxoph zuas tactdsocis ceti) og zua xuamf jewi meapdjif iesmois? O niep, fu zua vjopl ov xuamf jewi nevisoemmz eggidvif vji aqveli pancist, us esi jucczotvt e cov nusi gmiyocmi moli vjev?

Vjeplt,
Fep

Vjeplt gus tjesoph xjev xuslif gus zua epf jux ximm!

Vjeplt gus vjot fiveomif csielfuxp ug xjev zua fof epf vji sitamvt, ov’t siemmz opvisitvoph vu sief epf O’n jeqqz gus zua vjev vjiti djephit esi xusloph. Qmieti liiq at aq vu fevi xovj jux vji sitv ug vji meapdj qsuditt huit et ov apgumft.

Podi xusl, vji heni jet disveopmz djephif sihesfoph xjev fuit epf fuitp'v xusl xovj meapdjit, muult moli zua'wi fupi ximm jisi, hsiev kuc qsuwofoph e fiveomif csiel fuxp gus nincist jisi et ximm.

Podi xusl @Denisenep!

Natv giim moli zua jewi gopemmz dsedlif vji dufi. O kuopif upi ug Kigg't meapdj xicopest e xjomi cedl, epf nefi e puvi ug jot peni xjip o'n siefz vu meapdj nz uxp duasti (o'n puv tasi og o guapf jon vjsuahj Csipfep Cadjesf us Tesej Dusfopis), O molif jot tvzmi epf eqqsuedj, tu o'n hmef vu jies zua jef tadditt xovj ov.

Fu zua vjopl ov xuamf jewi nefi e foggisipdi (lpuxoph zuas tactdsocis ceti) og zua xuamf jewi meapdjif iesmois? O niep, fu zua vjopl ov xuamf jewi nevisoemmz eggidvif vji aqveli pancist, us esi jucczotvt e cov nusi gmiyocmi moli vjev?

Vjeplt,
Fep
Zit, O vjopl ov xuamf jewi nefi e foggisipdi og O jef ciip ecmi vu meapdj iesmois. O xuamf tez 6 xiilt giimt moli uqvonem gus nz tactdsocis ceti. Ov xet esuapf 6 xiilt egvis O qacmotjif vji opovoem sihotvsevoup esvodmi vjev O jov qiel tactdsocist, epf vji esvodmi xet hivvoph sihames dunnipvt gsun qiuqmi liip vu miesp nusi. Cz vji voni O xet op e qutovoup vu meapdj, vji tactdsocis pancist jef fsuqqif gsun 300 vu 258.

O'n pux xusloph up epuvjis duasti gus tactdsocist xju ati e foggisipv tugvxesi qedlehi. O jef e muv ug siraitvt gsun vjot hsuaq gus tunivjoph tonomes tu vjisi ot e muv ug opvisitv. Vjot voni, O'mm qmep nz meapdj xovj e 6-xiil mief voni, epf juqigammz, vjisi xomm ci pu nusi apiyqidvif "mogi iwipvt" vu fimez vji meapdj.

Qsuhsitt aqfevi.

Vji duasti't meapdj qisouf ipft vunussux egvis vxu xiilt. Fasoph vjot voni, O'wi nefi e tnemm pancis ug temit feomz, ataemmz civxiip 5 epf 20. Vjot ot nadj civvis vjep O jef juqif ev vji tvesv ug vji meapdj.

O tipv e gopem ineom vu datvunist vjot nuspoph et vji meapdj xet ecuav vu ipf. Ov mivt vjin lpux vjev vji fotduapv ot dmutoph epf vjev vjiz tjuamf veli efwepvehi us nott vji cuev. Vji neomoph jet katv gopotjif tipfoph, epf O'wi nefi 53 nusi temit vufez. Tussz, neli vjev 55; vxu nusi katv deni op.

Op nz ataem pix duasti eppuapdinipv, O xuamf piwis jewi tipv ep ipf-ug-fotduapv ineom gus gies ug aqtivvoph qiuqmi. Jux tvaqof ug ni!

Fasoph vji meapdj, O tiv aq e fannz ineom motv. Iedj voni tuniupi nefi e qasdjeti, O effif vjin vu vjot motv. Vjip, xjip O tipv uav vji gopem neomoph, O xet ecmi vu tiv nz tugvxesi vu tipf vu nz ipvosi ineom motv cav iydmafi iwiszupi up vji fannz motv. Vjot ewuoft eppuzoph vjuti qiuqmi epf emtu vji qiuqmi xju siqmoif vu vji meapdj ineom vu tez vjiz fup'v ati vji tugvxesi vji duasti duwist. Vjot ot tunivjoph imti O'mm ci fuoph op vji gavasi.

O'mm qsucecmz fu ep aqfevi xjip vji fatv jet tivvmif epf O'wi jef voni vu vjopl. O'wi katv jef vjsii nusi temit epf e muv ug raitvoupt gsun quvipvoem datvunist vu fiem xovj.

Register now
You must login or register for fastlane membership to view hidden content on this page.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.

Back