The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Live your best life.

Tired of paying for dead communities hosted by absent gurus who don't have time for you?

Imagine having a multi-millionaire mentor by your side EVERY. SINGLE. DAY. Since 2007, MJ DeMarco has been a cornerstone of Fastlane, actively contributing on over 99% of days—99.92% to be exact! With more than 38,000 game-changing posts, he's dedicated to helping entrepreneurs achieve their freedom. Join a thriving community of over 90,000 members and access a vast library of over 1,000,000 posts from entrepreneurs around the globe.

Registration at the forum removes this block.

Anatomy of a Launch Success

Marketing, social media, advertising

Cameraman

Silver Contributor
LEGACY MEMBER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
213%
Sep 25, 2021
UK
I recently launched a new course after being inspired by @Lex DeVille in another thread. I’ve been selling courses for around 10 years but struggled to turn a profit. This time, things were different, and my first two weeks generated over 300% more revenue than my previously most successful course did in its entire lifetime.

My usual launch consists of a couple of emails announcing a new product with a discount for subscribers. I also mention the new course in my monthly newsletters. This time, having read “Launch” by Jeff Walker, I wanted to test his launch approach.

The problem I have with the Launch approach is it feels too much, like SPAM, with several emails a day through a launch period. To avoid this, I adapted his system to what I thought my subscribers would accept.

Step 1: Create a launch subscriber list. Anyone interested in the course could register for regular updates and a launch discount.

Step 2: Publish articles in my newsletter announcing I’m working on the course and that people can register for a launch discount.

Step 3: Send regular email news updates with tips about the course to subscribers.

These steps were all about creating a buzz and demand ahead of the launch. Unfortunately, life got in the way, and rather than the planned month between step 1 and the launch (I think Jeff recommends much less than a month), it was around 4 months.

When the product launched, I sent a pre-launch email to 258 people on my list, offering a 10-day launch discount. This was a sizable discount, depending on the purchase. The course (which is in the Hobby space) was offered as an eBook, Video, or combined package, with full prices ranging from £20 to £70.

The first email gained a good response, with around 25% of the list placing an order, even though I hadn’t mailed them in 3 months because of events. I then sent a follow-up email as the discount ended, which did even better. This was probably the scarcity factor. By then, by the end of the pre-launch, I had around 130 orders.

Following the pre-launch, I mailed my entire subscriber list (11,500) with my monthly newsletter, which announced a launch discount for subscribers. This generated as many orders again, which I was surprised about. These people hadn’t shown any interest in registering for the course launch.

I then followed up with another email to my entire subscriber list announcing the launch and discount, even though it had been promoted in the newsletter days earlier. The result was more sales than the previous two announcements. It seems many people don’t act on the discount when it’s mentioned as a newsletter story. The open rate on my newsletter is 60%, so it’s not like it isn’t being read.

So far, I’m into five figures in sales, and I still have more launch steps to go. There’s a reminder email at the end of the discount period. I then have an affiliate partner with a much larger subscriber list who wants to sell the course. Because of my pricing, there are opportunities to offer a good discount on a Black Friday sale. The pricing also allows me to explore Facebook ads at other times.

I’ve been careful with the pricing to ensure I’m at the lower end of what is typically charged for similar courses by well-known providers. I also included three options at different price points. What surprised me was that the mid-priced package hardly sold. Almost 90% of sales came from the cheapest and most expensive options, with an even split between the two. It’s made me realise that I’ve been under-pricing my products in the past, leaving me on a treadmill of producing more courses.

A few of the lessons for me:
  • The launch is important. It seems much better than a soft launch/drip the news into the market approach. It’s at least as important, if not more, as what the product is.
  • People don’t read everything you put out. Even with a 60% open rate, I’m still picking up new people after the third mailing.
  • Pricing is important. It helps generate enough income from a product to create breathing space for the next one. It also allows for discounts and advertising.
I need to test whether I can repeat the success with the next product launch.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

MRiabov

Bronze Contributor
LEGACY MEMBER
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
95%
May 30, 2023
"struggling to turn profit".

You seem to have the BRO-marketing problem...

Cameraman

Silver Contributor
LEGACY MEMBER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
213%
Sep 25, 2021
UK
"struggling to turn profit".

You seem to have the BRO-marketing problem...
How on earth do you conclude that?
Making a profit is what business is about. It lets you reinvest and grow.

Become a Fastlane Member Today to Read More or Comment.

This thread has
more posts!

Join MJ DeMarco's Inner Circle and Rub Shoulders with Other Millionaire Entrepreneurs

Imagine a multi-millionaire mentor by your side EVERY. SINGLE. DAY. Since 2007, MJ DeMarco has been the driving force of Fastlane, contributing on over 99% of days—99.92% to be exact! With over 38,000 posts game-changing posts, he's dedicated to helping entrepreneurs achieve freedom. Join 90,000+ members and access a vast library of 1,000,000+ posts from entrepreneurs worldwide.

Fastlane isn’t just another community led by an absent guru. By joining, you enter MJ’s inner circle—a supportive home where you’re never alone. Embrace true mentorship and transform your entrepreneurial journey with the Fastlane Forum.

Basic Membership (Monthly)

• Read all threads in the main forums/categories.
  • Post comments in existing topics.
  • React to any comment/post.
  • Find valued content: Sort big threads by best posts.
  • Promote your biz: Reply signatures.
  • Cancel anytime

$7 per month

Join Now

Basic Membership (Yearly)

• Save 44% vs monthly
  • Read all threads in the main forums/categories.
  • Post comments in existing topics.
  • React to any comment/post.
  • Find valued content: Sort big threads by best posts.
  • Promote your biz: Reply signatures.
  • Crush Goals: 30% Off GoalSumo.com Subscription
  • Cancel anytime

$47 per year

Join Now

VIP Insider Membership

• Same as basic plus...
  • Guaranteed read and response from MJ DeMarco*
  • Access to the private Insider forum for more advanced users.
  • Save the best: bookmark/archive ability
  • No non-sponsor ads
  • Crush Goals: 50% Off a GoalSumo.com Subscription

$119.88 per year

Join Now

* If you post any question or problem within the INSIDER forum, this guarantees MJ will read and respond to your post to the best of his ability at least one time. This guarantee does not imply a lifetime dialogue or a personal ongoing mentorship. Again, MJ has authored more than 38,000 responses at this forum since 2007.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.