The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Any advice for a kid who turned 18?

Anything related to matters of the mind

Bling

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
74%
Apr 29, 2023
I would really appreciate any person who’s 30 or older to give me advice. About what they regret not doing and what would you suggest me to do?

(Sorry for my english grammar, I’m not a native English speaker.)

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Lex DeVille

Sweeping Shadows From Dreams
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
595%
Jan 14, 2013
Utah
I would really appreciate any person who’s 30 or older to give me advice. About what they regret not doing and what would you suggest me to do?

I joined the US Army. Hands down was the best decision of my life at the time. I regret getting married before getting stationed in Germany.

Trismigistus

Bronze Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
78%
Sep 5, 2023
I'm 34. Youve read the fastlane so that is good. Im reading through unscripted , that is a must read, so go read that. Don't worry about being cool. Find your fastlane idea and execute! I wasted my time at college, got a biz and mathematics degree. Unscripted really is a great handbook to get started in this world, I wish I had it when I was your age. Make good friends and find a good wife/husband, keep good relationships with your family. Never stop progressing toward your goals everyday. Also, dump modern culture. This is just a start. Good luck!

Trismigistus

Bronze Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
78%
Sep 5, 2023
I joined the US Army. Hands down was the best decision of my life at the time. I regret getting married before getting stationed in Germany.
I joined the military as well, I got to travel around a lot and get a lot of cool experience. Also it gets you a lot of clout in the job world, but jobs are a part of what we are trying to get away from. I don't know if I would suggest joining today, don't die for some smelly senile old man in the white house starting wars for us to fight, Bling. Go start your fastlane business, Bling!

Lex DeVille

FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
595%
Jan 14, 2013
Utah
I joined the military as well, I got to travel around a lot and get a lot of cool experience. Also it gets you a lot of clout in the job world, but jobs are a part of what we are trying to get away from. I don't know if I would suggest joining today, don't die for some smelly senile old man in the white house starting wars for us to fight, Bling. Go start your fastlane business, Bling!

Since 2013, I've watched thousands of motivated newbies come through these doors and exit stage left in less than 60 days after realizing any combination of the following:

1. Starting a fastlane business is easy, but succeeding is hard as F*ck.
2. Starting a fastlane business is fast, but getting it off the ground takes 12 to 24 months minimum.
3. Starting a fastlane business generally requires money.
4. Starting a fastlane business can be cheap, but growing it gets expensive.
5. Starting a fastlane business is simple, but running it is extremely complex.
6. Starting a fastlane business is exciting, but eventually it gets lonely.
7. Starting a fastlane business is hype, but eventually it gets uncomfortable.
8. Starting a fastlane business offers the potential for great reward and the possibility of great sacrifice.

I'm not saying OP should join the military.

My suggestion is that if you have to ask which direction to go, go in a direction that doesn't require constant leadership decisions because you aren't ready for it yet. Fastlane businesses require leadership decisions on a daily basis.

Trismigistus

Bronze Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
78%
Sep 5, 2023
I was
Since 2013, I've watched thousands of motivated newbies come through these doors and exit stage left in less than 60 days after realizing any combination of the following:

2. Starting a fastlane business is fast, but getting it off the ground takes 12 to 24 months minimum.
8. Starting a fastlane business offers the potential for great reward and the possibility of great sacrifice.

My suggestion is that if you have to ask which direction to go, go in a direction that doesn't require constant leadership decisions because you aren't ready for it yet. Fastlane businesses require leadership decisions on a daily basis.
I was definitely no leader at 18, that's for sure. I was ready to be a loyal soldier for my country. Military will for sure sling shot you into being able to develop more leadership qualities along with self regulation.

Snowball

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
159%
Sep 12, 2023
California
I'm not much older than you, and still very much working towards my financial goals.

But for me, the biggest periods of self-growth always occurred by stopping thinking and start taking actions (especially talking with real people).
- Cold calling 200 businesses just to chat about their problems
- Launching a poorly designed website because I was tired of action-faking
- Providing my own services and going on calls with clients

All of these were super uncomfortable (and still are). While I still have a long ways to go, talking with real people has been the most enlightening in my journey thus far.

Trismigistus

Bronze Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
78%
Sep 5, 2023

You seem like someone who has made it out of the rat race, long ago. What was your first succesful business? If I may ask

Lex DeVille

FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
595%
Jan 14, 2013
Utah
You seem like someone who has made it out of the rat race, long ago. What was your first succesful business? If I may ask

Sold portraits of people's faces made from LEGO. Wasn't a huge success, but pretty good for my first business attempt. Generated around $15k/year with part-time work. I used some of those earnings to fund my next business idea after I came across MJ's book and this forum a few years later.

Trismigistus

Bronze Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
78%
Sep 5, 2023
Sold portraits of people's faces made from LEGO. Wasn't a huge success, but pretty good for my first business attempt. Generated around $15k/year with part-time work. I used some of those earnings to fund my next business idea after I came across MJ's book and this forum a few years later.
Great fukn book, I didnt expect to like it as much as I did.

WillHurtDontCare

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
305%
May 28, 2017
USA

1) Find people whose lives you would like to have and follow in their footsteps (with your own twist).

2) Realize that a lot of people are incompetent, full of shit, and some are outright malicious, so be very careful whose advice you would take.

3) Work to only date girls who you would want to marry. I'm not necessarily advocating marriage, but if / when you decide that you want to go the family route, you're better off if you're already dating a chick who fits that profile. Though, feel free to date 3 of those girls simultaneously prior to that.

4) Life have seasons. There are things that you can do at certain periods in your life that you can't in others. Your late teens and 20s are for trying things and doing reckless shit. You'll never be as physically capable as your are now, so if you have physical aspirations (sports, adventure, joining a military and overthrowing governments, etc), you should really consider how that stacks up. It's good to work your a$$ off in your 20s to set yourself up for the rest of your life, but if you are dead set on achieving certain goals, you should push off business because you don't get your youth back.

5) Realize you can always keep winning. It doesn't matter how many setbacks you go through, or what regrets you might have or end up having. You can ALWAYS find new things to win at. Women, business, friendships, whatever. If you're in a rut, just start racking up wins. Never listen to cynics who tell you that life keeps getting worse as you get older, or that you should ever accept any form of mediocrity. And never get too down because of any loss, no matter how big. You'd be surprised what you end up laughing off as no big deal years down the road.

6) Put effort into meeting quality people. Meet fun people, smart people, older people, etc. If you have older friends, they can help you accelerate your life because they've been there, done that etc. Also, having friends with the right expertise can save you months of troubleshooting. And most importantly, what's the point of doing cool stuff without having cool people to remember them with?

7) Lift weights

8) Focus on 1-3 major goals at a time. If you spread yourself too thin across multiple things, you won't make progress.

Oilman

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
107%
May 1, 2019
Early 30s here:

There wasn't too much I did wrong in my 20s. I always stayed busy, networked with other winners, worked out, tried to date girls (was unsuccessful for the most part), stayed up to date with how the world is changing, took calculated risks, tried going back to school. I still don't consider myself a success but I need another 12 months to see my work come into fruition. Like I posted on @Snowball 's thread, most men in their 20s are going to struggle. You absolutely have to think long term.

What I wished I didn't do was go to college, it was a waste of time because here in America it's getting more woke.

This applies to me and you: your time is going to come. It unfortunately takes months and then BAM the goals you worked hard for come true. Then you probably still will want more.

Bling

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
74%
Apr 29, 2023
1) Find people whose lives you would like to have and follow in their footsteps (with your own twist).

2) Realize that a lot of people are incompetent, full of shit, and some are outright malicious, so be very careful whose advice you would take.

3) Work to only date girls who you would want to marry. I'm not necessarily advocating marriage, but if / when you decide that you want to go the family route, you're better off if you're already dating a chick who fits that profile. Though, feel free to date 3 of those girls simultaneously prior to that.

4) Life have seasons. There are things that you can do at certain periods in your life that you can't in others. Your late teens and 20s are for trying things and doing reckless shit. You'll never be as physically capable as your are now, so if you have physical aspirations (sports, adventure, joining a military and overthrowing governments, etc), you should really consider how that stacks up. It's good to work your a$$ off in your 20s to set yourself up for the rest of your life, but if you are dead set on achieving certain goals, you should push off business because you don't get your youth back.

5) Realize you can always keep winning. It doesn't matter how many setbacks you go through, or what regrets you might have or end up having. You can ALWAYS find new things to win at. Women, business, friendships, whatever. If you're in a rut, just start racking up wins. Never listen to cynics who tell you that life keeps getting worse as you get older, or that you should ever accept any form of mediocrity. And never get too down because of any loss, no matter how big. You'd be surprised what you end up laughing off as no big deal years down the road.

6) Put effort into meeting quality people. Meet fun people, smart people, older people, etc. If you have older friends, they can help you accelerate your life because they've been there, done that etc. Also, having friends with the right expertise can save you months of troubleshooting. And most importantly, what's the point of doing cool stuff without having cool people to remember them with?

7) Lift weights

8) Focus on 1-3 major goals at a time. If you spread yourself too thin across multiple things, you won't make progress.
I really appreciate your help, I really feel bad because I never perfected any thing or ever succeeded what I wanted to succeed in. Yes, I’m average in many things and I feel good about having knowledge in multiple fields but I really feel bad about not achieving what I wanted like I had multiple businesses and failed, my grandfather, my uncles, my brothers are all an amazing businessmen and they all started at my age and succeeded and I cant which I feel inadequate about… and my first breakup was really bad, any suggestions?

Bling

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
74%
Apr 29, 2023
I always thought people like you are different and I could never be like you guys…

Lex DeVille

FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
595%
Jan 14, 2013
Utah
I had multiple businesses and failed, my grandfather, my uncles, my brothers are all an amazing businessmen and they all started at my age and succeeded and I cant which I feel inadequate about…

This is why the military might benefit you.
Right now, you think you are es special ly incapable of doing what other average people are capable of doing.

In reality...
  • Your grandpa is average, AND he built a business
  • Your brothers are average, AND they built businesses
  • Your uncles are average, AND they built businesses
  • You are average, BUT you are being a whiny b*tch
I always thought people like you are different and I could never be like you guys…

I am a supervillain genius. Nobody is like me.

WillHurtDontCare

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
305%
May 28, 2017
USA
I really appreciate your help, I really feel bad because I never perfected any thing or ever succeeded what I wanted to succeed in. Yes, I’m average in many things and I feel good about having knowledge in multiple fields but I really feel bad about not achieving what I wanted like I had multiple businesses and failed, my grandfather, my uncles, my brothers are all an amazing businessmen and they all started at my age and succeeded and I cant which I feel inadequate about… and my first breakup was really bad, any suggestions?

You're 18 years old - no one expects anything at all from you yet. If you ask most adults they'd say that they were morons at 18, so ditch the feelings of inadequacy yesterday because you're rich in two of the most important things: time and energy.

Research some industries with a lot of billionaires and millionaires and start reverse engineering what they did to get there. You can get a regular job just so that you have cash flow to invest in learning skills and testing business ideas. Practice with jobs + businesses that already work so you can figure out how the game works - you don't need to be original. Just get started - expect to suck, expect to lose money, expect to hit a lot of dead ends and feel like you screwed up. Keep pushing - you're 18 and no one expects anything from you anyway - take advantage of those low expectations.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.