The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Any One Here Familiar with CLOUD COMPUTING

William

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
97%
Feb 15, 2012
For the last couple weeks I have been reading articles on cloud computing.

One issue with cloud computing is privacy and the certain things it entails like who owns the data.

Metadata: If there is a clear agreement that the data is owned by the customer and cant be used by the vendor --- does that include things like number of users actively using a CRM (Customer Relationship Management) system or the number of new sales leads entered in a given quarter or number of meetings booked.

Other issue include anonymized data and whether the vendor can use unattributed statistics and use it for profit.

I have thinking of solutions for some time now and have not gotten anywhere?

Am I looking at these too much in a general sense? Should I look in a more specific/smaller way?

and/or should I see this issue from another perspective?

Any advice would be helpful!

Thanks!

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

LightHouse

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
164%
Aug 13, 2007
Northern VA
What are you getting at or trying to accomplish here? this thread is like half of a thought... haha

dknise

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
133%
Aug 29, 2012
North Bend, WA
While there are dramatic benefits from cloud computing, especially in the cloud-VM model like Amazon Web Services, I do believe the core purpose of cloud computing is to turn products into services.

If you look back at the history of software, software was developed for a one time sale, a product. For Microsoft Office 2003, this meant that consumers could pay for it once, and still be using it 10 years later in 2013 without upgrading if it suited there needs. For software companies though, that's a sticky situation! How do you get non-power users to become repeat customers when they're already happy? The solution is "software as a service" or SaaS, which turns the product model into a service model, charging a monthly or scheduled fee for continued use. To offset this disadvantage, cool features are added like accessibility from anywhere from any device, unlimited storage, and instant product updates rather than bi-annual product releases. At the core of it though, is to turn one time product buyers into returning customers.

For a longggggggggg time I thought Google was on some evil quest with the storage of personal information. Within the past year though, I think they've proven through their advocacy, policies, and work that they're really just maximizing the potential of their revenue, and they're not evily plotting against you using your information.

Ron

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
247%
May 22, 2013
I agree with LightHouse. Cloud computing means a lot of different things. What are you trying to do?

I'm currently working with a cloud computing industry analyst firm, so might be able to point you in the right direction if you provide more of your application requirements.

Also, don't believe everything you read from the media about this because the authors generally know just a little more than you. Security CAN be an issue in the cloud, just as it can be in on in-house systems. It's all about how these systems are set up. Many of the cloud providers will give you BETTER security and uptime and performance than you can do with on-premises servers.

OzGrinder

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
81%
Jul 2, 2012
Australia
I'm also confused as to what you are actually asking...

I run a web application on the Windows Azure cloud platform. It's an awesome platform. Had it up and running in no time, very little system administration required and easily scale-able. It basically involves uploading your web app and then your ready to start charging customers.

In terms of SaaS providers, eg. CRM vendors and their ownership of data, you'll find that the terms and conditions of these services leave ownership of data with the customer. In terms of metadata etc. you'd need to read the terms/privacy agreement for the particular vendor. Certainly most would need to know the no. of users as most revenue models for these providers are based on per user licencing.

William

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
97%
Feb 15, 2012
I apologize for the lack of clarity. Your answers have helped gear me toward thinking more critically. My question and thoughts were way too broad in regards to attempting to exploit a need.

Don't know what I was actually trying to say. But, I do know that I had something on my mind that I wanted to ask, I just did not put enough thought into it.

I apologize for that. Ill be mindful to put much more thought into my questions. Thanks guys.

Any more comments/advice that could lead me in the right direction?

adoredunchin

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
175%
Jun 18, 2013
To have a personal cloud (provider doesn't see your data) you need to have an encryptet filestransfer.
Like Mega (aka Megaupload earlier) does offer. Thinking about stuff like mega ?

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.