What's new

Branding vs Search Marketing in Regional Town

Marketing, social media, advertising

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Live your best life.

Tired of paying for dead communities hosted by absent gurus who don't have time for you?

Imagine having a multi-millionaire mentor by your side EVERY. SINGLE. DAY. Since 2007, MJ DeMarco has been a cornerstone of Fastlane, actively contributing on over 99% of days—99.92% to be exact! With more than 38,000 game-changing posts, he's dedicated to helping entrepreneurs achieve their freedom. Join a thriving community of over 90,000 members and access a vast library of over 1,000,000 posts from entrepreneurs around the globe.

Forum membership removes this block and all non-sponsor ads.

Lee Wright

Bronze Contributor
LEGACY MEMBER
I started an event hire business in a major city 10 years ago & I did that just through SEO. 4 years ago I moved to a regional town of 40K people & started the same business. My initial thought was since I had virtually no online competition I would be able to do well. I have been able to dominate Google search no problem but it hasn't translated well into sales. I probably get about 2 days a week of work. 2 possibilities came to mind:
1. There simply isn't enough demand in a town this size OR
2. I'm just not marketed well enough.

#1 Size of Demand
-I looked at other towns around my state & it looks like you need a population of about 20K to sustain a decent event hire business i.e. one with premises & a couple of staff. The guy in the next town about 40 minutes away actually has 10 staff & it's the same sized town. They do have a national car race there each year (Bathurst) & they do some work here as well as travelling to other car races around the state so he's a bit of an exception but still it gives some insight. In summary then it looks like there should easily be enough demand in my town for my type of business.

#2 Marketing Exposure
-I get the distinct feeling that online search isn't as big in the country. A number of customers have said they didn't know about me despite them seeming quite tech savvy.
-Word of mouth seems to be a big thing in the country. There's a strong community Facebook group & people are always asking for recommendations & people seem to love to recommend their favorite supplier. For example recent requests for the following got this many responses: electrician 24, removalist 21, handyman 16, wedding photographer 31, carpet cleaner 12 etc. As an experiment I got someone to ask about my type of business. There was only one response! (a past customer) - fortunately they did recommend me but that's an extreme difference in the number of recommendations. I guess that means that there's not much awareness in the general community.

In the past I've always dismissed brand type advertising as only being for large companies with a mass market product e.g. Coke or McDonalds. I've tended to lean more towards direct response ideas instead. Perhaps in a small town where you could afford to get your brand out to everyone, maybe branding ads would make sense. I could probably show ads to everyone on Facebook for under $500.

I might address this more in another post but there are 2 other factors that might come into play:
3. Personal network &
4. Playing bigger.

#3 Networking. I've noticed something with a lot of successful local businesses. They have a lot of followers on Facebook i.e in the hundreds or thousands whilst I only have 32! I know people are happy with my service & I have way more Google reviews but I'm a bit of an introvert.

#4 Playing Bigger.
I currently operate from my garage at home. About 30% of customers visit me in person. I wonder if not having proper premises is preventing me from getting the bigger clients. I'm loathed to get a warehouse though & I have capacity to 3x my business still working from home.

Anyway I'd love to hear people's ideas on all this.

Thanks.

Last edited:
Membership Required: Upgrade to Expose Nearly 1,000,000 Posts

Ready to Unleash the Millionaire Entrepreneur in You?

Become a member of the Fastlane Forum, the private community founded by best-selling author and multi-millionaire entrepreneur MJ DeMarco. Since 2007, MJ DeMarco has poured his heart and soul into the Fastlane Forum, helping entrepreneurs achieve reclaim their time, win their financial freedom, and live their best life.

With more than 39,000 posts packed with insights, strategies, and advice, you’re not just a member—you’re stepping into MJ’s inner-circl, a place where you’ll never be left alone.

Become a member and gain immediate access to...

• Active Community: Ever join a community only to find it DEAD? Not at Fastlane! As you can see from our home page, life-changing content is posted dozens of times daily.
  • Exclusive Insights: Direct access to MJ DeMarco’s daily contributions and wisdom.
  • Powerful Networking Opportunities: Connect with a diverse group of successful entrepreneurs who can offer mentorship, collaboration, and opportunities.
  • Proven Strategies: Learn from the best in the business, with actionable advice and strategies that can accelerate your success.

"You are the average of the five people you surround yourself with the most..."

Who are you surrounding yourself with? Surround yourself with millionaire success. Join Fastlane today!

Join Today
Ov nohjv ci tunivjoph zua jewi vu edvowimz timm. Gopf uav xjev iwipvt esi dunoph us jeqqip iwisz zies epf gohasi uav jux sapt ov.

Neslivoph ot xiosf epf siemmz fiqipft up jux vji qiuqmi op zuas nesliv gopf xjev vjiz'si muuloph gus. Op e coh dovz vjisi esi tu nepz qiuqmi vjev iwip og tunivjoph fuitp'v xusl hsiev, vjisi ot ipuahj wumani gus ov vu tvomm xusl. Op e tnemm vuxp ov nohjv katv ci vjev qiuqmi vipf vu muul op upi qmedi epf puv epuvjis. (Huuhmi wt uggmopi)

O fu e muv ug upmopi neslivoph epf O veml vu e muv ug qiuqmi vjev esi lommoph ov uggmopi. Vjiz tez vjev vjisi katv otp'v e vup ug dunqivovoup!

Ep ofie vjev katv quqqif opvu nz jief ot vu demm qiuqmi vjev sap iwipvt op zuas esie epf etl vjin xjisi vjiz gopf jimq. Nezci vjiz'mm howi zua tuni ofiet zua jewip'v jiesf ug us vjuahjv ug.

Op e coh dovz vjisi esi tu nepz qiuqmi vjev iwip og tunivjoph fuitp'v xusl hsiev, vjisi ot ipuahj wumani gus ov vu tvomm xusl. Op e tnemm vuxp ov nohjv katv ci vjev qiuqmi vipf vu muul op upi qmedi epf puv epuvjis. (Huuhmi wt uggmopi)
Zit vjev vjuahjv uddassif vu ni vuu. Op e dovz ug 5 nommoup iwip usfopesz neslivoph duamf xusl howip vji tjiis tobi ug vji nesliv.

O fu e muv ug upmopi neslivoph epf O veml vu e muv ug qiuqmi vjev esi lommoph ov uggmopi. Vjiz tez vjev vjisi katv otp'v e vup ug dunqivovoup!
Zit vjev't iyedvmz xjev O gopf. Og O sap Huuhmi Tiesdj us Fotqmez Eft us Gedicuul Eft O'n ataemmz vji upmz mudem catopitt.

Ep ofie vjev katv quqqif opvu nz jief ot vu demm qiuqmi vjev sap iwipvt op zuas esie epf etl vjin xjisi vjiz gopf jimq. Nezci vjiz'mm howi zua tuni ofiet zua jewip'v jiesf ug us vjuahjv ug.
Zit huuf ofie.

Membership Required: Upgrade to Expose Nearly 1,000,000 Posts

Ready to Unleash the Millionaire Entrepreneur in You?

Become a member of the Fastlane Forum, the private community founded by best-selling author and multi-millionaire entrepreneur MJ DeMarco. Since 2007, MJ DeMarco has poured his heart and soul into the Fastlane Forum, helping entrepreneurs achieve reclaim their time, win their financial freedom, and live their best life.

With more than 39,000 posts packed with insights, strategies, and advice, you’re not just a member—you’re stepping into MJ’s inner-circl, a place where you’ll never be left alone.

Become a member and gain immediate access to...

• Active Community: Ever join a community only to find it DEAD? Not at Fastlane! As you can see from our home page, life-changing content is posted dozens of times daily.
  • Exclusive Insights: Direct access to MJ DeMarco’s daily contributions and wisdom.
  • Powerful Networking Opportunities: Connect with a diverse group of successful entrepreneurs who can offer mentorship, collaboration, and opportunities.
  • Proven Strategies: Learn from the best in the business, with actionable advice and strategies that can accelerate your success.

"You are the average of the five people you surround yourself with the most..."

Who are you surrounding yourself with? Surround yourself with millionaire success. Join Fastlane today!

Join Today

Welcome to an Entrepreneurial Revolution

The Fastlane Forum empowers you to break free from conventional thinking to achieve financial freedom through UNSCRIPTED® Entrepreneurship where relative value and problem-solving are executed at scale. Living Unscripted® isn’t just a business strategy—it’s a way of life.

Follow MJ DeMarco

Get The Books that Change Lives...

The Fastlane entrepreneurial strategy is based on the CENTS Framework® which is based on the three best-selling books by MJ DeMarco.

mj demarco books
Back
Top Bottom