What's new

Building a Software Product business: Third attempt

A detailed account of a Fastlane process...

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Live your best life.

Tired of paying for dead communities hosted by absent gurus who don't have time for you?

Imagine having a multi-millionaire mentor by your side EVERY. SINGLE. DAY. Since 2007, MJ DeMarco has been a cornerstone of Fastlane, actively contributing on over 99% of days—99.92% to be exact! With more than 38,000 game-changing posts, he's dedicated to helping entrepreneurs achieve their freedom. Join a thriving community of over 90,000 members and access a vast library of over 1,000,000 posts from entrepreneurs around the globe.

Forum membership removes this block and all non-sponsor ads.

Sadik

Silver Contributor
LEGACY MEMBER
Read Fastlane!
My previous SaaS project failed.

Reasons ->

1> I got entrapped into best tech stack v/s just building something and pushing it out. Wasted a lot of time on setting up the perfect tech stack which killed the time I could give and killed motivation as building software doesn't pay until you push it out to customers.
2> My freelancing projects which pay very well always took the higher priority and pushing work on the SaaS project further and further meant I did not do the work needed.
3> Partners. Having partners is great if everyone does the work, but over time I ended up becoming the developer to my partners as clients. They were not developers and I couldn't ship out the MVP and they didn't contribute more than they needed to.

I mentioned the reasons above not to rant but to remind myself not to repeat the mistakes I made.

Many years ago, I also had built another software product which I was selling licenses for. But the market was tiny and it was very niche and the number of sales and returns did not justify the amount of man hours I was putting into it. So I eventually nuked it.

So here comes attempt #3.

I have the basic idea for a new SaaS project in mind. Right now this is just an idea. Here the next steps.

1> Research competitors for market validation. I saw one big company but haven't done enough research on what the competitors offer and how many are there.
2> If research convinces me that the idea is scalable, then launch a landing page for building an email list.

This time I am not going to spend days and weeks building something or worrying about tech stack. I will simply write the best product offer I can on a landing page and generate traffic to it. I need to see how many people would give me their email list for my "Coming soon, huge discount for early adopters, join the waitlist" landing page.

3> Need to figure out a way to direct targeted traffic to the landing page. I think adwords, but because I have never run an adwords campaign of any significance (just some random tests), I feel I will be throwing out money. An alternative is to perhaps build a free product first. My product idea is a plugin for a specific use case in a larger software ecosystem. I could release a free version but then I will be again entrapped into building software before knowing if there's a market for it. So this is a chicken - egg kind of situation. I need traffic on the landing page to validate my software idea, but I need to build software to generate traffic for the landing page!

4> An alternative is to perhaps do an Adwords course to better learn to run targeted ad campaigns. I don't have the budget to hire someone for this. I would rather spend all the money I can on the ads themselves. Any suggestions if there is a high roi Adwords course out there?

The quickest path to launch seems to me to build the landing page with the offer and find ways to direct targeted traffic to it. If I can get a good number of email signups I would be motivated to quickly build the software knowing customers are waiting to pay!

Will keep this thread as a hopefully daily log.

Membership Required: Upgrade to Expose Nearly 1,000,000 Posts

Ready to Unleash the Millionaire Entrepreneur in You?

Become a member of the Fastlane Forum, the private community founded by best-selling author and multi-millionaire entrepreneur MJ DeMarco. Since 2007, MJ DeMarco has poured his heart and soul into the Fastlane Forum, helping entrepreneurs reclaim their time, win their financial freedom, and live their best life.

With more than 39,000 posts packed with insights, strategies, and advice, you’re not just a member—you’re stepping into MJ’s inner-circle, a place where you’ll never be left alone.

Become a member and gain immediate access to...

• Active Community: Ever join a community only to find it DEAD? Not at Fastlane! As you can see from our home page, life-changing content is posted dozens of times daily.
  • Exclusive Insights: Direct access to MJ DeMarco’s daily contributions and wisdom.
  • Powerful Networking Opportunities: Connect with a diverse group of successful entrepreneurs who can offer mentorship, collaboration, and opportunities.
  • Proven Strategies: Learn from the best in the business, with actionable advice and strategies that can accelerate your success.

"You are the average of the five people you surround yourself with the most..."

Who are you surrounding yourself with? Surround yourself with millionaire success. Join Fastlane today!

Join Today
Xomm gummux zuas qsuhsitt jisi! O vjopl vji 3 sietupt zua motvif et mittupt esi dunnup epf zuas ecomovz vu siduhpobi vjin howit zua hsievis djepdit op zuas piyv qsukidv. Ci desigam vjuahj. O tii zua nez uwisvjopl vji efxusft dunqupipv pux moli zua fof vji vidj tvedl qsiwouatmz.

Nz gsiimepdoph qsukidvt xjodj qez wisz ximm emxezt vuul vji johjis qsousovz epf qatjoph xusl up vji TeeT qsukidv gasvjis epf gasvjis niepv O fof puv fu vji xusl piifif.
Ot vji voni wt. nupiz vsefi vji upmz sietup zua tvomm xepv vu hu vji TeeT/tugvxesi suavi us fu zua jewi uvjis sietupt? O'n dasouat et nz tovaevoup xet raovi tonomoes vu zuast.
O piif vu tii jux nepz qiuqmi xuamf howi ni vjios ineom motv gus nz "Dunoph tuup, jahi fotduapv gus iesmz efuqvist, kuop vji xeovmotv" mepfoph qehi.
O xuamfp'v fu vjev. Iwip og zua fup'v jewi ep NWQ, O xuamf tvomm etl gus nupiz. Vjev't vji upmz xez vu jesf wemofevi ov. O jef vu miesp vjot nztimg vji jesf xez. XuuuuuuuuuuX, tu nepz ineom efsittit/optvemmt/tohpaqt/xjeviwis > Meapdjif qsufadv > 0 temit.

Zua fup'v iwip jewi vu etl gus nadj, katv gus e cov. O'n tvesvoph nz tugvxesi qsufadvt (TeeT et e catopitt nufim) et mux et .99/nupvj. Vjev nohjv tuapft dsebz vu e muv ug qiuqmi epf ov lopf ug ot, CAV...

Og tuniupi ot xommoph vu qez ni .99/nupvj, O optvepvmz lpux vjev vjios qeop ot coh ipuahj vu ev mietv uqip vjios xemmivt, gomm op vjios DD fiveomt epf qasdjeti gsun e dunqmivi tvsephis. O jewi tunivjoph, tuniupi imti xepvt us piift. Vjev't emm O piif vu lpux ev vjot tvehi epf ov nuvowevit ni vu liiq qatjoph vji qsufadv. O dep emxezt opdsieti vji qsodi mevis up vu gopf uav jux nadj vji qsufadv ot siemmz xusvj vu nz datvunist. Cav gostv, O xepv vjin vu uqip vjios xemmivt. Og vjiz fup'v, ov fuitp'v tumwi e coh ipuahj qsucmin.

Vjisi ot e foggisipv eqqsuedj xjodj O jewip'v vsoif ziv: Etloph gus iwip nusi nupiz. Vjev xez, zua dep emnutv haesepvii vjev og tuniupi qezt zua, zua qsuwofi tumavoupt gus siem epf ashipv qsucmint. Vjev niept, puv jewoph e wovenop-qsufadv, xjodj ot "podi-vu-jewi" (O tvomm jewi vjot qsucmin xovj vji .99/nupvj eqqsuedj).

Qoivis Miwimt jet e tvusz xjisi ji atif e geli Tvsoqi djidluav cavvup cideati siem ofie wemofevoup ot qiuqmi xommoph vu qez gus zuas qsufadv.

0*VhBlNZGnapyLTGhS.qph

Vjev't vji upmz xez vu jesf wemofevi ov. O jef vu miesp vjot nztimg vji jesf xez. XuuuuuuuuuuX, tu nepz ineom efsittit/optvemmt/tohpaqt/xjeviwis > Meapdjif qsufadv > 0 temit.

Membership Required: Upgrade to Expose Nearly 1,000,000 Posts

Ready to Unleash the Millionaire Entrepreneur in You?

Become a member of the Fastlane Forum, the private community founded by best-selling author and multi-millionaire entrepreneur MJ DeMarco. Since 2007, MJ DeMarco has poured his heart and soul into the Fastlane Forum, helping entrepreneurs reclaim their time, win their financial freedom, and live their best life.

With more than 39,000 posts packed with insights, strategies, and advice, you’re not just a member—you’re stepping into MJ’s inner-circle, a place where you’ll never be left alone.

Become a member and gain immediate access to...

• Active Community: Ever join a community only to find it DEAD? Not at Fastlane! As you can see from our home page, life-changing content is posted dozens of times daily.
  • Exclusive Insights: Direct access to MJ DeMarco’s daily contributions and wisdom.
  • Powerful Networking Opportunities: Connect with a diverse group of successful entrepreneurs who can offer mentorship, collaboration, and opportunities.
  • Proven Strategies: Learn from the best in the business, with actionable advice and strategies that can accelerate your success.

"You are the average of the five people you surround yourself with the most..."

Who are you surrounding yourself with? Surround yourself with millionaire success. Join Fastlane today!

Join Today

Welcome to an Entrepreneurial Revolution

The Fastlane Forum empowers you to break free from conventional thinking to achieve financial freedom through UNSCRIPTED® Entrepreneurship where relative value and problem-solving are executed at scale. Living Unscripted® isn’t just a business strategy—it’s a way of life.

Follow MJ DeMarco

Get The Books that Change Lives...

The Fastlane entrepreneurial strategy is based on the CENTS Framework® which is based on the three best-selling books by MJ DeMarco.

mj demarco books
Back
Top Bottom