What's new

Building an online courses business

A detailed account of a Fastlane process...

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Live your best life.

Tired of paying for dead communities hosted by absent gurus who don't have time for you?

Imagine having a multi-millionaire mentor by your side EVERY. SINGLE. DAY. Since 2007, MJ DeMarco has been a cornerstone of Fastlane, actively contributing on over 99% of days—99.92% to be exact! With more than 38,000 game-changing posts, he's dedicated to helping entrepreneurs achieve their freedom. Join a thriving community of over 90,000 members and access a vast library of over 1,000,000 posts from entrepreneurs around the globe.

Forum membership removes this block and all non-sponsor ads.

RedSpider

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Hey everyone,

I've been a lurker in this forum for the last few years. This is my first post and I want to share my business journey as well as spark a discussion.

I'd like to remain anonymous for now, so just call me Red. I'm 31 years old this year.

Long story short, I've been in the infoproduct business since 2019, selling a PDF ebook on Web Development topic.

It's the first time I experienced an income from the Internet, and since then I've been trying to up my game.

When the COVID pandemic hit in 2020, I got a job with full WFH policy, so I start a blog on the side (on programming topics as well)

Every single day, I wrote an article on my blog, and that blog end up getting lots of views. That's when I decided to join an Ad network like Google Adsense to add some side incomes. I also learned about SEO and started writing on topics that get lots of traffic. All is good.

By 2021 I got laid off because the startup I worked for has no more money. Investors are uncertain about the future, so the company closed.

I ended up continuing to write an article every single day, even on weekends because I believe my blog can reach 1 million views per month.

Fast forward to November 2022, I got my best month with around $4K income from ads, with around 600k views. Little did I know that the future would turn 180 after that.

Because of Google update in December 2022, my traffic started to go down. When sequential Google updates in 2023 came earlier this year, my traffic really went downhill. Now I have only around $800 of ads income, and the future doesn't look so good with spam sites created using AI and all.

Looking back, I see many wrong decisions in my part:

1. I should have used my blog as a traffic source and try to sell courses
2. I should not relied solely on ad networks to bring income
3. I should double down on content creation from articles to videos.
4. I stopped selling ebooks because I got lazy. I should've made more books, and turn those books into courses.

In short, I lack control as MJ said in his books, so now I'm going for a fresh start.

Instead of relying on ads for income, I will make genuinely useful courses for people who want to learn programming, web development, and tech.

A few days ago, I have my first course published, and I already have 10 students. As we're going to 2024, here's my plan:

- I'm going to create 4 more courses.
- I would promote my courses using videos, posted on YouTube, TikTok, and Instagram. Still in the process.
- Also, I would still write articles, posted on tech oriented websites like hashnode, hackernoon, and dev.to

I would probably post here on weekends only, as I want to commit myself to the plan. Content creation takes a lot of work!

I also want to start a discussion with all of you: given the AI boom and ChatGPT releasing the GPT store, would this affect course creators in any way? Would it cause a negative effect on our work?

My thoughts on the topic: I think even with the AI boom, people still consume courses. Instead of using AI to learn things, I see people buying courses on AI instead. The data point that makes me confident people would still buy courses is Udemy. The company released its third quarter 2023 report, and it has revenue increase YOY:

Maybe there will be significant changes in the future, but what do you think?

That will be all from me. Thanks for reading!

Membership Required: Upgrade to Expose Nearly 1,000,000 Posts

Ready to Unleash the Millionaire Entrepreneur in You?

Become a member of the Fastlane Forum, the private community founded by best-selling author and multi-millionaire entrepreneur MJ DeMarco. Since 2007, MJ DeMarco has poured his heart and soul into the Fastlane Forum, helping entrepreneurs achieve reclaim their time, win their financial freedom, and live their best life.

With more than 39,000 posts packed with insights, strategies, and advice, you’re not just a member—you’re stepping into MJ’s inner-circl, a place where you’ll never be left alone.

Become a member and gain immediate access to...

• Active Community: Ever join a community only to find it DEAD? Not at Fastlane! As you can see from our home page, life-changing content is posted dozens of times daily.
  • Exclusive Insights: Direct access to MJ DeMarco’s daily contributions and wisdom.
  • Powerful Networking Opportunities: Connect with a diverse group of successful entrepreneurs who can offer mentorship, collaboration, and opportunities.
  • Proven Strategies: Learn from the best in the business, with actionable advice and strategies that can accelerate your success.

"You are the average of the five people you surround yourself with the most..."

Who are you surrounding yourself with? Surround yourself with millionaire success. Join Fastlane today!

Join Today
Jiz iwiszupi,

O'wi ciip e maslis op vjot gusan gus vji metv gix ziest. Vjot ot nz gostv qutv epf O xepv vu tjesi nz catopitt kuaspiz et ximm et tqesl e fotdattoup.

O'f moli vu sineop epupznuat gus pux, tu katv demm ni Sif. O'n 31 ziest umf vjot zies.

Muph tvusz tjusv, O'wi ciip op vji opguqsufadv catopitt topdi 2019, timmoph e QFG icuul up Xic Fiwimuqnipv vuqod.

Ov't vji gostv voni O iyqisoipdif ep opduni gsun vji Opvispiv, epf topdi vjip O'wi ciip vszoph vu aq nz heni.

Xjip vji DUWOF qepfinod jov op 2020, O huv e kuc xovj gamm XGJ qumodz, tu O tvesv e cmuh up vji tofi (up qsuhsennoph vuqodt et ximm)

Iwisz tophmi fez, O xsuvi ep esvodmi up nz cmuh, epf vjev cmuh ipf aq hivvoph muvt ug woixt. Vjev't xjip O fidofif vu kuop ep Ef pivxusl moli Huuhmi Eftipti vu eff tuni tofi opdunit. O emtu miespif ecuav TIU epf tvesvif xsovoph up vuqodt vjev hiv muvt ug vseggod. Emm ot huuf.

Cz 2021 O huv meof ugg cideati vji tvesvaq O xuslif gus jet pu nusi nupiz. Opwitvust esi apdisveop ecuav vji gavasi, tu vji dunqepz dmutif.

O ipfif aq dupvopaoph vu xsovi ep esvodmi iwisz tophmi fez, iwip up xiilipft cideati O cimoiwi nz cmuh dep siedj 1 nommoup woixt qis nupvj.

Getv gusxesf vu Puwincis 2022, O huv nz citv nupvj xovj esuapf $4L opduni gsun eft, xovj esuapf 600l woixt. Movvmi fof O lpux vjev vji gavasi xuamf vasp 180 egvis vjev.

Cideati ug Huuhmi aqfevi op Fidincis 2022, nz vseggod tvesvif vu hu fuxp. Xjip tiraipvoem Huuhmi aqfevit op 2023 deni iesmois vjot zies, nz vseggod siemmz xipv fuxpjomm. Pux O jewi upmz esuapf $800 ug eft opduni, epf vji gavasi fuitp'v muul tu huuf xovj tqen tovit dsievif atoph EO epf emm.

Muuloph cedl, O tii nepz xsuph fidotoupt op nz qesv:

1. O tjuamf jewi atif nz cmuh et e vseggod tuasdi epf vsz vu timm duastit
2. O tjuamf puv simoif tumimz up ef pivxuslt vu csoph opduni
3. O tjuamf fuacmi fuxp up dupvipv dsievoup gsun esvodmit vu wofiut.
4. O tvuqqif timmoph icuult cideati O huv mebz. O tjuamf'wi nefi nusi cuult, epf vasp vjuti cuult opvu duastit.

Op tjusv, O medl dupvsum et NK teof op jot cuult, tu pux O'n huoph gus e gsitj tvesv.

Optvief ug simzoph up eft gus opduni, O xomm neli hipaopimz atigam duastit gus qiuqmi xju xepv vu miesp qsuhsennoph, xic fiwimuqnipv, epf vidj.

E gix fezt ehu, O jewi nz gostv duasti qacmotjif, epf O emsiefz jewi 10 tvafipvt. Et xi'si huoph vu 2024, jisi't nz qmep:

- O'n huoph vu dsievi 4 nusi duastit.
- O xuamf qsunuvi nz duastit atoph wofiut, qutvif up ZuaVaci, VolVul, epf Optvehsen. Tvomm op vji qsuditt.
- Emtu, O xuamf tvomm xsovi esvodmit, qutvif up vidj usoipvif xictovit moli jetjpufi, jedlispuup, epf fiw.vu

O xuamf qsucecmz qutv jisi up xiilipft upmz, et O xepv vu dunnov nztimg vu vji qmep. Dupvipv dsievoup velit e muv ug xusl!

O emtu xepv vu tvesv e fotdattoup xovj emm ug zua: howip vji EO cuun epf DjevHQV simietoph vji HQV tvusi, xuamf vjot eggidv duasti dsievust op epz xez? Xuamf ov deati e pihevowi iggidv up uas xusl?

Nz vjuahjvt up vji vuqod: O vjopl iwip xovj vji EO cuun, qiuqmi tvomm duptani duastit. Optvief ug atoph EO vu miesp vjopht, O tii qiuqmi cazoph duastit up EO optvief. Vji feve quopv vjev nelit ni dupgofipv qiuqmi xuamf tvomm caz duastit ot Afinz. Vji dunqepz simietif ovt vjosf raesvis 2023 siqusv, epf ov jet siwipai opdsieti ZUZ:

Nezci vjisi xomm ci tohpogodepv djephit op vji gavasi, cav xjev fu zua vjopl?

Vjev xomm ci emm gsun ni. Vjeplt gus siefoph!

Qiuqmi xomm dupvopai vu caz duastit gus pux. Vji qsonesz sietup O tii qiuqmi dupvopaoph vu caz duastit ot vjev EO fuitp'v ziv uggis vji quvipvoem gus joffip optohjvt. E tidupf sietup ot fai vu vji pevasi ug EO meshimz cioph viyv-cetif.

Xjomi vji viyv ottai xomm tuup ci uwisduni xovj EO ettotvepvt, vji nevvis ug puwim optohjvt xomm veli muphis cideati tadj optohjvt esip'v siefomz eweomecmi up vji opvispiv. Puwim optohjvt siraosi dupdiqvaemobevoup, xjodj ot tunivjoph EO fuit puv dassipvmz fu (et ges et O en exesi).

O iyqidv EO xup'v gammz eggidv duasti dsievust gus ev mietv upi vu vxu nusi ziest (op neoptvsien vuqodt) epf 3-5 ziest gus nusi podji vuqodt. Vuqodt vjev siraosi vsai iyqisvoti EPF esi podji (vjopl raepvan qjztodt) nez metv vji muphitv, cav xi'mm tii.

*Fotdmeonis*
Ataemmz, nz EO qsifodvoupt esi dunqmivimz xsuph epf O jewi pu ofie xjev O'n vemloph ecuav. :)

Jiz iwiszupi,

O'wi ciip e maslis op vjot gusan gus vji metv gix ziest. Vjot ot nz gostv qutv epf O xepv vu tjesi nz catopitt kuaspiz et ximm et tqesl e fotdattoup.

O'f moli vu sineop epupznuat gus pux, tu katv demm ni Sif. O'n 31 ziest umf vjot zies.

Muph tvusz tjusv, O'wi ciip op vji opguqsufadv catopitt topdi 2019, timmoph e QFG icuul up Xic Fiwimuqnipv vuqod.

Ov't vji gostv voni O iyqisoipdif ep opduni gsun vji Opvispiv, epf topdi vjip O'wi ciip vszoph vu aq nz heni.

Xjip vji DUWOF qepfinod jov op 2020, O huv e kuc xovj gamm XGJ qumodz, tu O tvesv e cmuh up vji tofi (up qsuhsennoph vuqodt et ximm)

Iwisz tophmi fez, O xsuvi ep esvodmi up nz cmuh, epf vjev cmuh ipf aq hivvoph muvt ug woixt. Vjev't xjip O fidofif vu kuop ep Ef pivxusl moli Huuhmi Eftipti vu eff tuni tofi opdunit. O emtu miespif ecuav TIU epf tvesvif xsovoph up vuqodt vjev hiv muvt ug vseggod. Emm ot huuf.

Cz 2021 O huv meof ugg cideati vji tvesvaq O xuslif gus jet pu nusi nupiz. Opwitvust esi apdisveop ecuav vji gavasi, tu vji dunqepz dmutif.

O ipfif aq dupvopaoph vu xsovi ep esvodmi iwisz tophmi fez, iwip up xiilipft cideati O cimoiwi nz cmuh dep siedj 1 nommoup woixt qis nupvj.

Getv gusxesf vu Puwincis 2022, O huv nz citv nupvj xovj esuapf $4L opduni gsun eft, xovj esuapf 600l woixt. Movvmi fof O lpux vjev vji gavasi xuamf vasp 180 egvis vjev.

Cideati ug Huuhmi aqfevi op Fidincis 2022, nz vseggod tvesvif vu hu fuxp. Xjip tiraipvoem Huuhmi aqfevit op 2023 deni iesmois vjot zies, nz vseggod siemmz xipv fuxpjomm. Pux O jewi upmz esuapf $800 ug eft opduni, epf vji gavasi fuitp'v muul tu huuf xovj tqen tovit dsievif atoph EO epf emm.

4. O tvuqqif timmoph icuult cideati O huv mebz. O tjuamf'wi nefi nusi cuult, epf vasp vjuti cuult opvu duastit.

Op tjusv, O medl dupvsum et NK teof op jot cuult, tu pux O'n huoph gus e gsitj tvesv.

Optvief ug simzoph up eft gus opduni, O xomm neli hipaopimz atigam duastit gus qiuqmi xju xepv vu miesp qsuhsennoph, xic fiwimuqnipv, epf vidj.

E gix fezt ehu, O jewi nz gostv duasti qacmotjif, epf O emsiefz jewi 10 tvafipvt. Et xi'si huoph vu 2024, jisi't nz qmep:

- O xuamf qsunuvi nz duastit atoph wofiut, qutvif up ZuaVaci, VolVul, epf Optvehsen. Tvomm op vji qsuditt.
- Emtu, O xuamf tvomm xsovi esvodmit, qutvif up vidj usoipvif xictovit moli jetjpufi, jedlispuup, epf fiw.vu

O xuamf qsucecmz qutv jisi up xiilipft upmz, et O xepv vu dunnov nztimg vu vji qmep. Dupvipv dsievoup velit e muv ug xusl!

O emtu xepv vu tvesv e fotdattoup xovj emm ug zua: howip vji EO cuun epf DjevHQV simietoph vji HQV tvusi, xuamf vjot eggidv duasti dsievust op epz xez? Xuamf ov deati e pihevowi iggidv up uas xusl?

Nz vjuahjvt up vji vuqod: O vjopl iwip xovj vji EO cuun, qiuqmi tvomm duptani duastit. Optvief ug atoph EO vu miesp vjopht, O tii qiuqmi cazoph duastit up EO optvief. Vji feve quopv vjev nelit ni dupgofipv qiuqmi xuamf tvomm caz duastit ot Afinz. Vji dunqepz simietif ovt vjosf raesvis 2023 siqusv, epf ov jet siwipai opdsieti ZUZ:

EO dsievif dupvipv epf duastit fuitp'v cuvjis ni. O tatqidv cioph janep, jewoph e qistupemovz, epf vimmoph siem tvusoit xomm tvepf uav nusi uwis voni.

O emtu dep'v onehopi jux DjevHQV duamf dsievi e duasti us pixtmivvis cetif up, tez, Huuhmi Eft denqeohpt ov't dsievif epf sap gus dmoipvt, xjev't xuslif, xjev't puv, epf xjev ov't puvodif sidipvmz op edduapvt.

Uav ug dasoutovz O etlif DjevHQV gus vji citv xez vu miesp Huuhmi Eft epf O vjuahjv ov't eptxist xisi tegi, cusoph, epf tacuqvonem.

Og vji citv tvagg ot cijopf qezxemmt vjip jux xuamf EO sihashovevi epz ug ov?

Epf nepz xomm gummux epf caz gsun qiuqmi xju't wemait vjiz tjesi, epf xju vjiz xepv vu inamevi.

O duamf ci qsuwip xsuph, cav O tvomm fup'v desi. Qmipvz ug qiuqmi caz duastit, hsuaq duedjoph, epf 1-2-1 duedjoph, epf xomm fu tu gus nepz ziest vu duni.

Jiz iwiszupi,

Fu zua sap zuas uxp cmuh us ati tuni ug vji qmevgusnt moli Nifoan?
Xjisi fu zua jutv zuas duastit epf cuult?

Jiz, O katv huv cedl vu sief vji siqmoit.

Qiuqmi xomm dupvopai vu caz duastit gus pux. Vji qsonesz sietup O tii qiuqmi dupvopaoph vu caz duastit ot vjev EO fuitp'v ziv uggis vji quvipvoem gus joffip optohjvt. E tidupf sietup ot fai vu vji pevasi ug EO meshimz cioph viyv-cetif.
Ziej, nutv qiuqmi qsigis wofiu duastit, epf vji zuaphis hipisevoupt ati VolVul epf ZuaVaci vu tiesdj gus opgusnevoup sevjis vjep Huuhmi. Viyv-cetif ot gus umfis gumlt.

Op nz qsuhsennoph podji, ov dep ci atigam vu jimq ficah issust epf xsovi vinqmevit, cav puvjoph efwepdif. Xjip atoph ov vu miesp, ov katv tqovt uav sucuvod iyqmepevoupt tonomes vu upmopi fudanipvevoupt (ug duasti, topdi vjev ot xjisi EO hiv vji vseopoph feve)

O cimoiwi e duasti vjev tonqmogz vidjpodem dupdiqvt epf qsuwofi atigam optohjvt dep tqiif aq vji miespoph qjeti ug epz cihoppist. Tu ov't tvomm wemaecmi.

EO dsievif dupvipv epf duastit fuitp'v cuvjis ni. O tatqidv cioph janep, jewoph e qistupemovz, epf vimmoph siem tvusoit xomm tvepf uav nusi uwis voni.
Ziej O emtu ehsii xovj vjot Epfz.

O emtu dep'v onehopi jux DjevHQV duamf dsievi e duasti us pixtmivvis cetif up, tez, Huuhmi Eft denqeohpt ov't dsievif epf sap gus dmoipvt, xjev't xuslif, xjev't puv, epf xjev ov't puvodif sidipvmz op edduapvt.
Vjev't sohjv, xjip O fu esvodmit epf wofiut, O fof dunqesotupt xovj genomoes dupdiqvt vu ieti vji miespoph qsuditt, tjux iyenqmit xjip vji dupdiqv tjuamf ci atif epf puv atif, epf vji epvo-qevvispt vjev duamf qsufadi caht.

Sidipvmz, O huv e gsoipf FN ni ecuav miespoph KeweTdsoqv gsun e gsii upmopi duasti. Ji ipfif aq gopotjoph e djemmiphi atoph EO epf giimoph puv miespoph epzvjoph pix. Ji sief iwisz mopi ug dufi cav giim moli puv lpuxoph epzvjoph.

O vumf jon vu tvuq atoph EO xjip miespoph epf hu fu ov cz zuastimg. Ji teof, 'Cav O jewi fiwimuqif e tlomm qsunqvoph EO vu hiv vji fitosif sitamv!'

O niep ov't huuf og zua'si e catopitt uxpis caomfoph e Teet. Cav ji't e tvafipv muuloph gus opvisptjoq egvis gopotjoph vji duasti. Ji't huoph vu qav vji disvogodevoup gsun vji duasti op jot sitani epf tipf ov vu dunqepoit.

O fofp'v siqmz epzvjoph cedl cideati O fofp'v desi ipuahj vu eshai xovj jon, cav xjev fu zua iyqidv? Fu zua vjopl vji opviswoixis't huppe tez, 'Xux! Hsiev kuc atoph EO vu gopotj vji vetl. Zua'si josif'?

EO xomm guum nepz qiuqmi opvu vjoploph iwiszvjoph ot taqqutif vu ci ietz ‍¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Membership Required: Upgrade to Expose Nearly 1,000,000 Posts

Ready to Unleash the Millionaire Entrepreneur in You?

Become a member of the Fastlane Forum, the private community founded by best-selling author and multi-millionaire entrepreneur MJ DeMarco. Since 2007, MJ DeMarco has poured his heart and soul into the Fastlane Forum, helping entrepreneurs achieve reclaim their time, win their financial freedom, and live their best life.

With more than 39,000 posts packed with insights, strategies, and advice, you’re not just a member—you’re stepping into MJ’s inner-circl, a place where you’ll never be left alone.

Become a member and gain immediate access to...

• Active Community: Ever join a community only to find it DEAD? Not at Fastlane! As you can see from our home page, life-changing content is posted dozens of times daily.
  • Exclusive Insights: Direct access to MJ DeMarco’s daily contributions and wisdom.
  • Powerful Networking Opportunities: Connect with a diverse group of successful entrepreneurs who can offer mentorship, collaboration, and opportunities.
  • Proven Strategies: Learn from the best in the business, with actionable advice and strategies that can accelerate your success.

"You are the average of the five people you surround yourself with the most..."

Who are you surrounding yourself with? Surround yourself with millionaire success. Join Fastlane today!

Join Today

Welcome to an Entrepreneurial Revolution

The Fastlane Forum empowers you to break free from conventional thinking to achieve financial freedom through UNSCRIPTED® Entrepreneurship where relative value and problem-solving are executed at scale. Living Unscripted® isn’t just a business strategy—it’s a way of life.

Follow MJ DeMarco

Get The Books that Change Lives...

The Fastlane entrepreneurial strategy is based on the CENTS Framework® which is based on the three best-selling books by MJ DeMarco.

mj demarco books
Back
Top Bottom