The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Business Idea

Idea threads

yveskleinsky

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
23%
Jul 26, 2007
So, I'm finally here in the house in Las Vegas. For those of you who don't know, I bought a REO (Real Estate Owned) home. After about a week of moving into the home, I received a hand addressed letter in the mail; it didn't look like junk mail, so I opened it. Turns out it was a letter from a company that specializes in helping homeowners who buy foreclosures and who are then left with fixing EVERYTHING in the house (yes everything.) These REO homes often sit vacant for MORE than a year and have problems that the home inspections aren't finding.

Anyhow, so I got to thinking about this guy's business idea, and I just think it's so clever that I wanted to post it here--especially for newcomers who have less than a $1000 to put into a business.

Here's my guess as to the behind the scenes of his business plan:

1. Contact a variety of companies that a new homeowner with a trashed house will need: housekeepers, carpet cleaners, window treatment people, lighting, painters, cabinet installers, plumbers, AC repair, electricians, pool cleaners, yard maintainers/landscapers, fireplace repair, interior designers, carpet/tile/flooring people, etc.

2. Ask these people if they'd like to work with you on a referral basis. If you find them business you get x%. Perhaps it's 10%; perhaps it's more. Get your agreement in writing.

3. Contact a title company and get a list of REO homes that are set to close. Turn that list into your mailing list and start stuffing some envelopes.

4. Have the letter that goes out have your business name and number on it, along with a business card that lists the services you can help them with.

5. When a customer calls your store you gather their contact info and then pass it along to your service provider. Explain that someone will be contacting them within the next 24 hours, and that you will follow up with the to be sure someone has. Call your providers, give them the info--explain that you will be following up with them as well as with the customer.

6. Follow up with the customer and then bill the service provider. (Or perhaps split the billing in another way?)

Obviously, this is lead generation in mailbox form vs. internet, but as a new homeowner who may not have internet hooked up yet or may not know where to go in town to find reputable companies--or don't want to mess with anymore crazy people found on Craigslist (like I found), this could be a viable business idea. You could of course always take this idea and add an online component where potential custmers could search your pre-screened companies and you get paid for online leads that you generate as well.

Just some thoughts. :)

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
448%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
So are you going to use the company?

A company like this could also be marketed toward home sellers who have a long inspection report from a potential buyer and need it all fixed. Inspection reports typically involve multiple disciplines: The sink in bathroom two is leaking, there are 3 electrical sockets that don't work, etc.

I know I would have used something like that everytime I sold a house. Fixing the inspection list is always a RPITA.

yveskleinsky

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
23%
Jul 26, 2007
Yeah, I plan on using this guy. When I first moved in, I started a list of things that needed to be done. Within about 3 days, the list grew to over 3 pages! After getting 2 weirdos and 1 "professional" off of Craigslist--all of which didn't end well, I would HAPPILY work with a third part company who can help me coordinate all my service trades--and find me licensed and insured people who are actually skilled.

lol- I just reread this guy's card and they also offer "electronics setup"! This is SO helpful for people like me. Genius!

Other services he offers:

- Trash out and Disposal. (Really good one as the garbage man gives me the stink eye every trash day.)

- Drywall.

- Security Visit. Not quite sure what that means--assuming they either visit you and check your security system or they send two 400 pound guys with bald heads and sunglasses to check on you. Either way I would feel safer. :)

Deuce

PARKED
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
Jul 12, 2009
I think this sounds like a pretty cool freakin idea! I also just bought a bank owned house as well and am doing pretty much all the work myself, BUT there are those few things that I cannot do. And you know what, I JUST went through this myself..."Hmmm I need a new furnace, I've NEVER shopped for one before, and trying to get a hold of "a friend of a friend of a friend" didn't work out so well.

And come to think of it to, as mentioned above, this has got to be so much harder on the homebuyer if you just moved to the area. You can't go to your "hook-ups" cause well, they're not around you anymore. Sure you can research different contractors in all these different magazines and what not, but who has time for it.

I've talked to some people recently about "house stuff," and am floored at what they paid for some different services and products compared to what I paid. Ex. Lowes wanted about $2800 for the grab and go cabinets (nothing wrong with them, I was just looking for some better quality). I found a warehouse (no fancy showroom and no air conditioning in the summer time) near me that sold me some of the nicest cabinets I've ever seen, for about........$400 LESS than the cheapest ones at Lowes (dovetailed drawers, ALL solid wood, soft close drawers, full face doors, dark cherry finish....yea I'm a geek lol).

Come to think of it now......I've BEEN sending him business already

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

yveskleinsky

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
23%
Jul 26, 2007

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics