The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Buying personal property

Bilgefisher

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
17%
Aug 29, 2007
Aurora, Co
I ran across a lead tonight that wishes to sell their house. They want to gather personal affects and then sell whats left.

How do I find someone to buy whats left in the house?
Furnishings, nicknacs, etc etc.

I know folks clean out homes, unfortunately I don't even know where to begin to find these people. Craigslist (or will I get inundated with crap requests?), newspaper, investor meetings? Not really sure where to begin looking.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

doubleb

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
10%
Dec 27, 2009
Austin, TX
If you aren't interested in hosting an Estate Sale or Garage Sale to sell the items and want to pay to remove them.

Look in Yellow pages for Junk Removal or try 1 800 GOT-JUNK or a service like this, they'll fix you up.

Bobby

TC2

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
12%
Jun 30, 2008
Phoenix, AZ
I ran across a lead tonight that wishes to sell their house. They want to gather personal affects and then sell whats left.

How do I find someone to buy whats left in the house?
Furnishings, nicknacs, etc etc.

I know folks clean out homes, unfortunately I don't even know where to begin to find these people. Craigslist (or will I get inundated with crap requests?), newspaper, investor meetings? Not really sure where to begin looking.

Ask those banks which own foreclosure homes. They usually have contractors to clean house and remodel them. However, most of those contractors will simply trash everything.

Good luck!

kurtyordy

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
12%
Aug 28, 2007
PA
just to be clear on the question, are you asking for someone to clean out the home and junk it, or are you asking for someone to buy the stuff? I think you are looking for the latter, but I wanted to be clear.

My advice, if there is some value to the stuff, call an auction house that does estates. They are used to going through crap looking for value.

Bilgefisher

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
17%
Aug 29, 2007
Aurora, Co
just to be clear on the question, are you asking for someone to clean out the home and junk it, or are you asking for someone to buy the stuff? I think you are looking for the latter, but I wanted to be clear.

My advice, if there is some value to the stuff, call an auction house that does estates. They are used to going through crap looking for value.

Exactly. I'm looking for someone that is wanting to buy the their stuff. Some of it may be junk, but some of it will not be. They have fairly new furniture, bedrooms sets etc. They just don't have time to sell it piecemeal and want to sell it at once.

kurtyordy

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
12%
Aug 28, 2007
PA
Exactly. I'm looking for someone that is wanting to buy the their stuff. Some of it may be junk, but some of it will not be. They have fairly new furniture, bedrooms sets etc. They just don't have time to sell it piecemeal and want to sell it at once.

then I stand by my previous statement. hire an auctioneer that specializes in estates.

Brootal

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
21%
Jun 30, 2009
Virginia
I agree that the auction is the way to go. There should be companies in your area that specialize in estate auctions.

Talk to some other local real estate investors (through the local real estate club is probably the easiest). There is a good chance that a few of them have used their services in the past.

Another way is to look in the paper for estate auctions and call the number. Ask who is putting on the auction.

Good Luck!

EasyMoney_in_NC

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
5%
Sep 9, 2007
Wilmington NC
Call your local Salvation Army. They'll send a truck by and unload the house for you. Take a good inventory of what's removed and then take it as a nice write off. You would have technically paid for it in the sale, so why not either use it as a basis reducer or a nice tax break.....

You're doing something good for the community and getting something for it as well. Not a bad deal?

hatterasguy

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
9%
Jul 29, 2008
I know a guy who does this on Long Island with estates. He will come in and make an offer on everything, but its usualy very high end stuff.

I would recomend the salvation army, or a dumpster. Last house we tore down was fully furnished down to dish's on the table. We just crushed it all up with the machine and loaded it into 100 yard trailers.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.