The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Chemistry Stenciling - A Scrapped Project?

Idea threads

Spenny

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
385%
Nov 16, 2022
United Kingdom
So this was an idea that I came up with a couple months back. I'm an undergraduate chemist and we have to draw a lot of annoying shapes, stuff like this.
Benzene-ring.png
1280px-Chair_conformation_of_cyclohexane.svg.png
640px-Pentagon.svg.png

I find these shapes annoying, because A) I'm bad at drawing them neatly B) I'm not fast enough & C) they're very repetitive to draw out again and again. I wasn't alone on this, I asked my classmates and they found it very annoying too. Here we go, we have a need.

So from my research I thought there were two avenues that I could go down. A chemistry stencil or a stamp of some sort.

The Stamp
I actually got mocked up and sent to me (see below). Long story short, the stamp didn't meet my expectations. It can only make one shape, one size & was hard to line up properly. I didn't use it personally because it was a pain.
PXL_20221121_210551973.jpg
I wasn't impressed
- I couldn't line up the stamp properly
- It only has one size avalible
- Its not versatile enough
- I stopped using it because its annoying
so I've now turned my attention to a stencil.

The Stencils
There a quite a few avalible in the UK. They're actually very good. Laser cut, plastic
il_794xN.2441133180_r5vd.jpg
1669066448937.png
But neither of them grab me as much as this one
1669066482844.png
Features
- Portable (designed to fit in a wallet)
- Metal (premium material)
- packed with information (the back has formulae ect)
- All the right shapes.
Its got everything needed, and then some.

On further inspection, this looks like an amazing productocracy that the creator has made. People are cheering for this product. Five star reviews everywhere.

I thinking about scrapping, I don't know if I can add much more than what the creator has done.

The only thing that doesn't make me buy is that its £30 in total to be shipped to the UK, usually its only £15 in America.
Now I'm thinking about this, I could make them in the UK and take advantage of the price arbitrage, just dont want to be a copy cat.

Maybe I'm missing something here? I'd love to hear some thoughts.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.
Last edited:

Stargazer

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
185%
Mar 8, 2018
England
How original is it?

It just reminds me off all the metal credit card sized tool kit things that you can get. Which have been around for quite a while. There are hundreds of different styles. Like this.

You'll see they don't cost much at all, less than £10 so maybe they only cost a couple of quid to make.

Go to the Engineering Faculty and they can probably design and knock one up for you as they will more than likely have the kit to do so. Or the DT Faculty if there is one.

Can you put Uni logos on to them to make them different? Get Pearson to throw them in when buying Chemistry text books if you still buy physical textbooks, maybe they are all online now?

As a little project it seems like a fun thing for you to do.

Dan

Spenny

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
385%
Nov 16, 2022
United Kingdom
How original is it?

It just reminds me off all the metal credit card sized tool kit things that you can get. Which have been around for quite a while. There are hundreds of different styles. Like this.

You'll see they don't cost much at all, less than £10 so maybe they only cost a couple of quid to make.

Go to the Engineering Faculty and they can probably design and knock one up for you as they will more than likely have the kit to do so. Or the DT Faculty if there is one.

Can you put Uni logos on to them to make them different? Get Pearson to throw them in when buying Chemistry text books if you still buy physical textbooks, maybe they are all online now?

As a little project it seems like a fun thing for you to do.

Dan
That's some good ideas, Ive actually thought of wacking a logo on it and selling it to the university. To be honest, now youve mentioned Pearson, this could be more of a b2b rather than a b2c model. It could be great.

Thank you for the response, I do really appreciate it!

becks22

90% coffee, 10% everything else
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
270%
Jul 6, 2016
Upstate NY
This reminds me of those laminated 3-4 page overview guides that they sell for like every subject in the college bookstore.
Are there any other subjects that have similar issues that could benefit from something similar? Calculus, Physics, Pre-med (and all of the specialties including pharmacy even though that is similar to chemistry, it could be a differentiation)

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Spenny

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
385%
Nov 16, 2022
United Kingdom
This reminds me of those laminated 3-4 page overview guides that they sell for like every subject in the college bookstore.
Are there any other subjects that have similar issues that could benefit from something similar? Calculus, Physics, Pre-med (and all of the specialties including pharmacy even though that is similar to chemistry, it could be a differentiation)
Apologies, was meant to respond to this. Amazing idea, I think this is where you start getting a product range. I could imagine engineers need something like this too.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.