The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Coincidence?

Anything related to matters of the mind

Juandrt58

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
80%
Oct 29, 2016
Hello all,
Here's something that happened to me a couple of weeks ago. I would like to get your take on it.

I was at the bookstore hanging out by the business books section when this gentleman asks if I'm an entrepreneur, I said that I wasn't, but I'm always seeking new opportunities. He proceeds to tell me if I would be willing to look into becoming a partner in his business(which he didn't exactly say what it was, but I surmised some type of affiliate marketing/FBA.)

Fast forward two weeks and he calls to ask if I can meet him at the same bookstore, I agreed (and the funny thing was that when I got there he was talking to a woman about the same side business) we spoke for a few minutes about starting a business on the side and how he and his network(4000?) partner with all kinds of different brands across different sectors. I got invited to attend a seminar(no $ or signing) this coming where they will detail the actual business.

Is this a con or could be a legitimate opportunity? What do you guys make of it?

Thanks for reading

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Lex DeVille

Sweeping Shadows From Dreams
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
595%
Jan 14, 2013
Utah
Hello all,
Here's something that happened to me a couple of weeks ago. I would like to get your take on it.

I was at the bookstore hanging out by the business books section when this gentleman asks if I'm an entrepreneur, I said that I wasn't, but I'm always seeking new opportunities. He proceeds to tell me if I would be willing to look into becoming a partner in his business(which he didn't exactly say what it was, but I surmised some type of affiliate marketing/FBA.)

Fast forward two weeks and he calls to ask if I can meet him at the same bookstore, I agreed (and the funny thing was that when I got there he was talking to a woman about the same side business) we spoke for a few minutes about starting a business on the side and how he and his network(4000?) partner with all kinds of different brands across different sectors. I got invited to attend a seminar(no $ or signing) this coming where they will detail the actual business.

Is this a con or could be a legitimate opportunity? What do you guys make of it?

Thanks for reading

Most of my greatest billion dollar opportunities came from strangers in book stores.

If you have to ask... (I wouldn't go near this)

Almantas

Nothing to Lose
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
475%
Dec 21, 2015
Ireland
Next step is funding his 'idea' and never seeing him again in the same bookstore.

TheUnum

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
300%
Sep 29, 2015
Chapel Hill, NC
Hello all,

Thanks for reading
I'd check it out as you never know what can happen, but definitely be wary of any sales pitches.

fhs8

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
114%
Jan 22, 2016
Seminars are always scams (or at least 99% are). Where do you think they get the money to pay for renting the room to host the seminar? Why would they spend so much time trying to get people?

BlakeIC

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
100%
Jan 9, 2014
Not Washington
I'd check it out as you never know what can happen, but definitely be wary of any sales pitches.
I'd do completely the opposite

Screams MLM and just general BS overall

Had a deja vu moment reading your post because I have seen that exact setup before and they always... ALWAYS turned out to be MLM

Especially since he mentions "networking"

Don't listen to anyone here telling you to go

Doug Smith

Changing Lanes
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
147%
Oct 27, 2016
Detroit, Mi
Hello all,

Thanks for reading

Doug Smith

Changing Lanes
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
147%
Oct 27, 2016
Detroit, Mi
Not saying you won't learn anything from hanging out with a dude in bookstore, but it seems a little odd. Even for us entrepreneurs. Be safe and let us know what happens.

Lex DeVille

Sweeping Shadows From Dreams
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
595%
Jan 14, 2013
Utah
This made me cringe. Would not go.

I would've actually enjoyed chatting with this guy to pry into his bull shit and call him on it.

haha I've done that a few times. It's funny how fast a few not-vague questions cut to the heart of non-sense.

Had a friend in the past meet me at a bookstore to talk business.

Told me all about how great it was being a Beach Body Coach. Tried to recruit me under him.

His response to why he'd only made around $100 was something like:

"Other coaches earn more based on how hard they work, I just haven't wanted to work that much so far."

After that I was out.

That was mmm 3 years ago???

Now he's a rep at AT&T...

devine

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Apr 16, 2015
Russia
I'd do completely the opposite

Screams MLM and just general BS overall

Had a deja vu moment reading your post because I have seen that exact setup before and they always... ALWAYS turned out to be MLM

Especially since he mentions "networking"

Don't listen to anyone here telling you to go
Agree.

Or in order to have a good laugh:

@Juandrt58 print 100 The Fastlane Forum flyers with links to 3 gold threads.

Go to the seminar and give them to attendants, preferably on entrance.

Then ask this guy leading questions like:

- Does it mean that we'll work for you to make you richer?
- Does it mean that we'll have to do such seminars to attract people in order to become successful in this schema?
- Will we have to go to book stores to attract people to our business like you do?
- How many of us came here because you met this guy in a book store?
- Why your business is better than other thousands of MLM businesses? They all say EVERYTHING you just said.
- I know no successful story when someone became rich in business like what you offer, without brainwashing their family, friends and total strangers. Many people even lost their families.
And etc.

Just interrupt him from time to time, be calm and bold with your questions.
Everytime he tries to shut you up - say that this is not polite to shut a person who is concerned with this offer. Be a pain in the a$$.

In the end of this seminar people will ask for your phone number, so you can recruit minions for yourself later.
Use them wisely.

Last edited:

G-Man

Cantankerous Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
543%
Jan 13, 2014
I would stay away if you don't want to wake up in a bathtub full of ice. ;)

Seriously, though, he's hanging around the business sections of bookstores to find people that want to be entrepreneurs, so he can sign them up for his MLM or something.

If you go back, can you pick me up a copy of The Effective Executive? I need something to put on my desk that makes me feel smart. :rockon:

Cosepreziose

Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
157%
Dec 12, 2015
Agree.

- Does it mean that we'll have to do such seminars to attract people in order to become successful in this schema?
- Will we have to go to book stores to attract people to our business like you do?
- Why your business is better than other thousands of MLM businesses? They all say EVERYTHING you just said.
- I know no successful story when someone became rich in business like what you offer, without brainwashing their family, friends and total strangers. Many people even lost their families.
And etc.

Everytime he tries to shut you up - say that this is not polite to shut a person who is concerned with this offer. Be a pain in the a$$.

In the end of this seminar people will ask for your phone number, so you can recruit minions for yourself later.
Use them wisely.

You are diabolically smart :O

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
447%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah

QDF

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
401%
Jan 1, 2014
Hello all,

Thanks for reading

I once had a guy pitch me on an MLM in the clearance section of Kohls.

(You could tell the guy was there hunting for minions...)

I let him humor me for 2 minutes before I walked out

Cosepreziose

Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
157%
Dec 12, 2015
I used to recruit minions to do sales for me for decent comission this way:)

People who would buy into MLM are relentless and under right guidance can achieve a lot.
Why don't you start your own MLM company and use this system to recruit people? :D

biophase

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
474%
Jul 25, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ
100% mlm

Has happened to me a few times in parking lots at Target. Funny thing is it never happened to me when I've had my R8 or Ferrari. lol

Juandrt58

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
80%
Oct 29, 2016
Agree.

And etc.

Use them wisely.
I would, but I don't have the time.

Juandrt58

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
80%
Oct 29, 2016
100% mlm

Has happened to me a few times in parking lots at Target. Funny thing is it never happened to me when I've had my R8 or Ferrari. lol
So I should get an R8 or Ferrari? interesting.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.