The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join today.

Since 2007, MJ DeMarco has helped entrepreneurs win their freedom with over 38,000 game-changing posts. Join over 90,000 members and a library of over 1,000,000 posts from entrepreneurs worldwide.

Registration at the forum removes this block.

Content Marketing vs. Ads: Which Should You Prioritize for Your Business?

Marketing, social media, advertising

Taktik

Aut viam inveniam aut faciam.
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
89%
Oct 15, 2018
Hi,

I wonder why so many people today are saying that you should start with content marketing and build an audience first, and that you will find an info product later on when you have an audience telling you what they want.

That sounds like it's wrong. I mean, content marketing takes a long time. Why not just try to make an info product and sell it immediately via ads? If it works, one could use content marketing to increase sales later on.

But most people say that content marketing is the fire and ads are the fire accelerant after you produce loads of content and make a product.

A couple of days ago, I finished a book where the author (who, to be fair, made a lot of money with info products) basically said that being dependent on ads and spending money on them sounds like a nightmare to him. He is much happier with producing content every day, which he has already done for more than a decade.

I don't know. A content treadmill sounds worse than running ads for info products, at least to me – because ads can run automatically once you've set them up.

As I said, I don't really get it. What's your opinion on that?

Thanks a lot.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.
Last edited:

Devilery

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
197%
Feb 11, 2019
Depends on the business model. An ecommerce brand would be best having both content for organic traffic (plus social proof) and ads for direct sales. A tractor mechanic shop? It doesn't need to be on Instagram and TikTok.

You said it yourself - content marketing is generally free, delivers organic traffic, and is great for social proof and credibility, the downsides are that it's time-consuming and takes time to deliver results.

Ads deliver a near instant feedback but you pay for every bit of engagement. If you can afford it, it's great, you can test a lot of angles quickly, and verify the success probability of your offer within weeks not months.

random_username

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
153%
Mar 19, 2024
Hi,

I wonder why so many people today are saying that you should start with content marketing and build an audience first, and that you will find a product later on when you have an audience telling you what they want.

That sounds like it's wrong. I mean, content marketing takes a long time. Why not just try to make an info product and sell it immediately via ads? If it works, one could use content marketing to increase sales later on.

But most people say that content marketing is the fire and ads are the fire accelerant after you produce loads of content and make a product.

A couple of days ago, I finished a book where the author (who, to be fair, made a lot of money with info products) basically said that being dependent on ads and spending money on them sounds like a nightmare to him. He is much happier with producing content every day, which he has already done for more than a decade.

I don't know. A content treadmill sounds worse than running ads, at least to me – because ads can run automatically once you've set them up.

As I said, I don't really get it. What's your opinion on that?

Thanks a lot.
I was just thinking about this recently, since I'm releasing my product out there literally today, so I have a skin in the game. I'm learning marketing by doing, these are my conclusions/speculations so far.

It's just me working on this for now, so I think it's insanely idiotic for me to focus on content marketing treadmill. Reason is that it takes a bunch of time to produce and effects of it are long term. I completely understand how it becomes cheaper long term, and exponential effects it can produce. But I'm in startup mode and I need to generate cash. I worked a few years ago in a agency where content marketing was sold as something important to startups, and then those startups went out of business before content marketing produced any results. I'm also inexperienced in marketing, so long feedback cycle + lack of experience in it seems like a disaster.

My thinking is that ads are better for startups short term if you can afford it go start generating income and users. So my personal plan is to start by focusing on high intent customers with ads, to try to generate cash. After that, create 2-3 keystone content/lead magnets and promote that to top of the funnel people with ads. This also has shorter feedback cycle, which will accelerate my learning compared to content.

After that focus on borrowing someone else's credibility and influence. I'm still working out how to achieve that tactically, so this is very vague still. But some combination of approaching influencers, reaching out to sites (PR) and affiliate marketing.

And only when/if my business is validated, I would focus on content marketing.

This is roughly speaking what I'm betting on myself today. There is a decent chance that I'm going to come back to this forum in a month and look at this post and write "what an idiot I was", but hey, at least I'll know better

Become a Fastlane Member Today to Read More or Comment.

This thread has
more posts!

Join MJ DeMarco's Inner Circle and Rub Shoulders with Other Millionaire Entrepreneurs

This isn’t just another community led by an absent guru. Since 2007, multi-millionaire entrepreneur and best-selling author MJ DeMarco has been a daily, hands-on mentor at the Fastlane Forum, authoring a staggering 38,000 posts filled with invaluable insights, strategies, and advice. When you join Fastlane, you’re not merely becoming a member—you’re entering MJ’s inner circle, a supportive home where you’re never left to navigate alone. Embrace the power of true mentorship and transform your entrepreneurial journey with the Fastlane Forum.

Basic Membership (Monthly)

• Read all threads in the main forums/categories.
  • Post comments in existing topics.
  • React to any comment/post.
  • Cancel anytime

$5 per month

Join Now

Basic Membership (Yearly)

• Save 22% vs yearly
  • Post comments in existing topics.
  • React to any comment/post.
  • Cancel anytime

$47 per year

Join Now

VIP Insider Membership

• Guaranteed read and response from MJ DeMarco*
  • Access to the Insider forum for more advanced users.
  • Post comments, react, ask questions.
  • Bookmark any posts
  • No non-sponsor ads

$119.88 per year

Join Now

* If you post any question or problem within the INSIDER forum, this guarantees MJ will read and respond to your post to the best of his ability at least one time. This guarantee does not imply a lifetime dialogue or a personal ongoing mentorship. Again, MJ has authored more than 38,000 responses at this forum since 2007.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.