The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Live your best life.

Tired of paying for dead communities hosted by absent gurus who don't have time for you?

Imagine having a multi-millionaire mentor by your side EVERY. SINGLE. DAY. Since 2007, MJ DeMarco has been a cornerstone of Fastlane, actively contributing on over 99% of days—99.92% to be exact! With more than 38,000 game-changing posts, he's dedicated to helping entrepreneurs achieve their freedom. Join a thriving community of over 90,000 members and access a vast library of over 1,000,000 posts from entrepreneurs around the globe.

Registration at the forum removes this block.

Learning to code an app / a lesson on taking action

Anything related to matters of the mind

MisterT2003

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
100%
Jun 27, 2024
Hey there!

Last night I came up with an idea for an app.

Even though the "building an app" business isn't necessarily hugely profitable, I believe that it can help with building a fastlane life (when build right) over a longer time.

(C) With an app you have full control (when you code it yourself),
(E) actually building an app isn't really easy so high entry bar,
(N) need depends on your niche (I am part of the niche and this idea has been something I needed for a long time),
(S) since the app is online, and build for a worldwide niche, it is scalable
(T) once build, the app itself is not tight to your time. (Doesn't mean you have to keep building features of the app)

Money wise, the app idea I have in mind can be seen as a service, which means that I can build a subscription model in the app.

I have seen several threads on the FastlaneForum where people said that it isn't worth it anymore to learn how to code. And perhaps that is true for getting a degree in coding. But perhaps learning how to code for something very specific, can be useful (a specific code used for a specific cause). Meaning, I found out which code language is used for apps in the appstore, and started to learn right away.
After 3 hours of learning how to code today, I already build an app/game

Simulator Screenshot - iPhone 15 Pro - 2024-07-01 at 16.44.41.png(it's a game that gives you a point when you have a higher card than the cpu)

So, this ofcourse is far from the end app I want to build.

But it demonstrates the skill I learned after following tutorials and learning to write this code after about 3 hours only. I mean....what can I build when I develop my skills over a weekend?

Last night, and during my morning run today, I was constantly in doubt on whether to hire someone on fiverr to build the app or to learn it myself.
To stay in full control, I decided to learn the basics of the coding language so I wouldn't be depended on programmers. There are probably people way better than me, and once I build the first version of the app, this can be something to invest in. But by building this first version myself, I know what's happening in the app, and be more precise in what I want when communicating with future developers (cause I understand the language).

That one decision made me able to make this game today. If I had not choose to learn these basic skills, I would be looking for programmers online hoping they would build something I have in my head and completely lose control over the app.
This one Action started this Process of learning, and who knows to what it will bring me.

And this principle is something @MJ DeMarco and many other fastlaners on the forum have talked about many many times. But a simple action can create progress and get you into a flow. I mean, the amount of energy I got from doing this one thing is very high and makes me excited to keep learning.
And whether that action is to cold call that first person, to start learning a craft, or to start making soup for your coworkers to check whether there is a market for your product (as in The Great Rat Race Escape ) instead of waiting and thinking about your idea... one action can set you on a path.

I don't know if this coding skill, or this app idea is my way to get on the Fastlane. But the lesson I learned today about having a bias towards action. Stays with me for the rest of my life.

~ Ivo (MisterT)

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Gypsy Soul

Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
101%
Jun 27, 2024
San Antonio, TX
Hey there!

Last night I came up with an idea for an app.

Even though the "building an app" business isn't necessarily hugely profitable, I believe that it can help with building a fastlane life (when build right) over a longer time.

(C) With an app you have full control (when you code it yourself),
(E) actually building an app isn't really easy so high entry bar,
(N) need depends on your niche (I am part of the niche and this idea has been something I needed for a long time),
(S) since the app is online, and build for a worldwide niche, it is scalable
(T) once build, the app itself is not tight to your time. (Doesn't mean you have to keep building features of the app)

Money wise, the app idea I have in mind can be seen as a service, which means that I can build a subscription model in the app.

I have seen several threads on the FastlaneForum where people said that it isn't worth it anymore to learn how to code. And perhaps that is true for getting a degree in coding. But perhaps learning how to code for something very specific, can be useful (a specific code used for a specific cause). Meaning, I found out which code language is used for apps in the appstore, and started to learn right away.
After 3 hours of learning how to code today, I already build an app/game

View attachment 56787(it's a game that gives you a point when you have a higher card than the cpu)

So, this ofcourse is far from the end app I want to build.

But it demonstrates the skill I learned after following tutorials and learning to write this code after about 3 hours only. I mean....what can I build when I develop my skills over a weekend?

Last night, and during my morning run today, I was constantly in doubt on whether to hire someone on fiverr to build the app or to learn it myself.
To stay in full control, I decided to learn the basics of the coding language so I wouldn't be depended on programmers. There are probably people way better than me, and once I build the first version of the app, this can be something to invest in. But by building this first version myself, I know what's happening in the app, and be more precise in what I want when communicating with future developers (cause I understand the language).

That one decision made me able to make this game today. If I had not choose to learn these basic skills, I would be looking for programmers online hoping they would build something I have in my head and completely lose control over the app.
This one Action started this Process of learning, and who knows to what it will bring me.

And this principle is something @MJ DeMarco and many other fastlaners on the forum have talked about many many times. But a simple action can create progress and get you into a flow. I mean, the amount of energy I got from doing this one thing is very high and makes me excited to keep learning.
And whether that action is to cold call that first person, to start learning a craft, or to start making soup for your coworkers to check whether there is a market for your product (as in The Great Rat Race Escape ) instead of waiting and thinking about your idea... one action can set you on a path.

I don't know if this coding skill, or this app idea is my way to get on the Fastlane. But the lesson I learned today about having a bias towards action. Stays with me for the rest of my life.

~ Ivo (MisterT)
Hi MisterT,

I've seen coders / makers of web apps bring in 80%+ gross profit margin. Coding is not dead as we still have problems that can be fixed using programming.

I've relied on ChatGPT to help me develop my desktop and web applications. It still requires you to code review and test. I will never go to production without reviewing and testing ChatGPT code.

Hope this helps.

MisterT2003

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
100%
Jun 27, 2024
Hi MisterT,

I've seen coders / makers of web apps bring in 80%+ gross profit margin. Coding is not dead as we still have problems that can be fixed using programming.

I've relied on ChatGPT to help me develop my desktop and web applications. It still requires you to code review and test. I will never go to production without reviewing and testing ChatGPT code.

Hope this helps.
Thanks @Gypsy Soul for your response.

I completely agree! ChatGPT is a very very useful tool for web and app development, but can only create a certain percentage of the end product. This means that learning code is still needed to control and optimize a code made by AI.

Can you give some specific examples perhaps on how you use Chatgpt to create web/app applications?

Become a Fastlane Member Today to Read More or Comment.

This thread has
more posts!

Join MJ DeMarco's Inner Circle and Rub Shoulders with Other Millionaire Entrepreneurs

Imagine a multi-millionaire mentor by your side EVERY. SINGLE. DAY. Since 2007, MJ DeMarco has been the driving force of Fastlane, contributing on over 99% of days—99.92% to be exact! With over 38,000 posts game-changing posts, he's dedicated to helping entrepreneurs achieve freedom. Join 90,000+ members and access a vast library of 1,000,000+ posts from entrepreneurs worldwide.

Fastlane isn’t just another community led by an absent guru. By joining, you enter MJ’s inner circle—a supportive home where you’re never alone. Embrace true mentorship and transform your entrepreneurial journey with the Fastlane Forum.

Basic Membership (Monthly)

• Read all threads in the main forums/categories.
  • Post comments in existing topics.
  • React to any comment/post.
  • Sort big threads by best posts.
  • Cancel anytime

$5 per month

Join Now

Basic Membership (Yearly)

• Save 22% vs yearly
  • Read all threads in the main forums/categories.
  • Post comments in existing topics.
  • React to any comment/post.
  • Sort big threads by best posts.
  • Cancel anytime

$47 per year

Join Now

VIP Insider Membership

• Same as basic plus...
  • Guaranteed read/response from MJ DeMarco*
  • Access to the private Insider forum for more advanced users.
  • Bookmark any posts
  • No non-sponsor ads

$119.88 per year

Join Now

* If you post any question or problem within the INSIDER forum, this guarantees MJ will read and respond to your post to the best of his ability at least one time. This guarantee does not imply a lifetime dialogue or a personal ongoing mentorship. Again, MJ has authored more than 38,000 responses at this forum since 2007.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.