The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Live your best life.

Tired of paying for dead communities hosted by absent gurus who don't have time for you?

Imagine having a multi-millionaire mentor by your side EVERY. SINGLE. DAY. Since 2007, MJ DeMarco has been a cornerstone of Fastlane, actively contributing on over 99% of days—99.92% to be exact! With more than 38,000 game-changing posts, he's dedicated to helping entrepreneurs achieve their freedom. Join a thriving community of over 90,000 members and access a vast library of over 1,000,000 posts from entrepreneurs around the globe.

Registration at the forum removes this block.

Copywriters only make *serious* money in this one way.

RobbieFoston

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
89%
Sep 12, 2021
London, UK
Hola Fastlaners,

I've made an observation and I'd love to hear your thoughts (especially if you have experience with advertising & copywriting).

Copywriting is undoubtedly a very high ROI skill to learn. Being able to turn prospects into customers through persuasive writing is a money printing machine.

But I've come to the conlcusion the only way to make the big bucks is through selling your own products or services. The more you study the great copywriters, the more you realise most of them made many, many millions through owning the products (or at least part of) that they sold. Recently finished reading Joe Sugarman's book and it opened my eyes – Joe's company owned most of the products they sold. That's where they made the real money. They leveraged their advertising & copywriting expertise to make money on their own products.

With more modern copywriters, all the ones who seem to be "rich" are selling copywriting courses. I don't see any of them actually writing copy for clients (unless they own an agency).

Now I've worked as a copywriter (and in the advertising industry) for close to a decade. I'd like to think I'm pretty good at what I do, and I've made my clients some good cash over the years. I've also made nice money for myself (around £80-100k per year). But it seems pretty hard to progress from this point: there's only so much you can charge for your services and there's only so many hours you can work to deliver the copy.

I don't really have a question and I'm not looking for advice. I'm merely interested in your inputs.

Do you think you can make over a million working as a copywriter without selling courses or your own products? I'm not sure it's possible (maybe with royalties but that's also close to impossible to secure nowaday).

Cheers all,
Robbie

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Kung Fu Steve

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
288%
Jul 8, 2008
Road Warrior
But I've come to the conlcusion the only way to make the big bucks is through selling your own products or services.

You've stumbled on the real secret.

If you really ARE that good... why not just do it for yourself?

(speaking as a consultant, I have an answer to that in a second)

The more you study the great copywriters, the more you realise most of them made many, many millions through owning the products (or at least part of) that they sold. Recently finished reading Joe Sugarman's book and it opened my eyes – Joe's company owned most of the products they sold. That's where they made the real money. They leveraged their advertising & copywriting expertise to make money on their own products.

The shortcut to copywriting with the big boys is understanding what Sugarman did:

If you can just prove your product does what you say it does, you don't need to sell it.

The copy isn't revolutionary.

They do a great job handling objections in the last few seconds, though. That copy is pretty smart.

With more modern copywriters, all the ones who seem to be "rich" are selling copywriting courses. I don't see any of them actually writing copy for clients (unless they own an agency).

The ones who "look" rich (you just see them running ads to sell their copy courses), sell courses.

The ones who ARE rich -- you don't even know their names.

They write ads, take a percentage of sales, and make a killing.

The copywriting legends like John Carlton and Gary Halbert made their fortunes LONG before they started teaching/selling courses.

It's MJ's philosophy, "what came first, your book teaching how to get rich... or you actually getting rich?"

Now I've worked as a copywriter (and in the advertising industry) for close to a decade. I'd like to think I'm pretty good at what I do, and I've made my clients some good cash over the years. I've also made nice money for myself (around £80-100k per year). But it seems pretty hard to progress from this point: there's only so much you can charge for your services and there's only so many hours you can work to deliver the copy.

I don't really have a question and I'm not looking for advice. I'm merely interested in your inputs.

And therein lies the rub.

Maybe you can eke out a few more clients and double your income to about 200k.

But you're still just in a job.

The leverage, as you've put it, is in recurring revenue from ads you wrote a long time ago.

But you know this as well as I do -- most ads have a pretty short lifespan. Whether the ad stopped working or the company just wants fresh eyes on it or they hired a new executive who wants to take everything that's working and throw it out the window? Who knows.

I wrote an ad for an investment product ... 12 years ago now? Funny thing is they just sent me $500 because they got another sale with it a couple weeks ago. It was pretty funny.

Do you think you can make over a million working as a copywriter without selling courses or your own products? I'm not sure it's possible (maybe with royalties but that's also close to impossible to secure nowaday).

Cheers all,
Robbie

You 100% can.

However, a lot is standing in your way.

Most companies move so fast and change things so rapidly that by the time you to get a solid ad, producing sales (and convince them to give you commissions on it) -- they're going to want to change it up.

Which is why I agree with you. Just sell your own products.

Then you're building a real asset. Something that will outlive and outlast any copy you created.

P.S.

The reason these guys sell courses is because they hit the point you're at now. They think "well I'm maxed out writing for clients... how can I sell more? courses!"

And some are pretty sleazy with it. Some are just fine. Some are great.

But they realize they just have a high-paying job and need to get into selling a product instead of a service. The only product they know, though... is copywriting.

Become a Fastlane Member Today to Read More or Comment.

This thread has
more posts!

Join MJ DeMarco's Inner Circle and Rub Shoulders with Other Millionaire Entrepreneurs

Imagine a multi-millionaire mentor by your side EVERY. SINGLE. DAY. Since 2007, MJ DeMarco has been the driving force of Fastlane, contributing on over 99% of days—99.92% to be exact! With over 38,000 posts game-changing posts, he's dedicated to helping entrepreneurs achieve freedom. Join 90,000+ members and access a vast library of 1,000,000+ posts from entrepreneurs worldwide.

Fastlane isn’t just another community led by an absent guru. By joining, you enter MJ’s inner circle—a supportive home where you’re never alone. Embrace true mentorship and transform your entrepreneurial journey with the Fastlane Forum.

Basic Membership (Monthly)

• Read all threads in the main forums/categories.
  • Post comments in existing topics.
  • React to any comment/post.
  • Sort big threads by best posts.
  • Cancel anytime

$5 per month

Join Now

Basic Membership (Yearly)

• Save 22% vs yearly
  • Read all threads in the main forums/categories.
  • Post comments in existing topics.
  • React to any comment/post.
  • Sort big threads by best posts.
  • 30% Off a Yearly GoalSumo.com Subscription
  • Cancel anytime

$47 per year

Join Now

VIP Insider Membership

• Same as basic plus...
  • Guaranteed read and response from MJ DeMarco*
  • Access to the private Insider forum for more advanced users.
  • Bookmark any posts
  • No non-sponsor ads
  • 50% Off a Yearly GoalSumo.com Subscription ($34 Value)

$119.88 per year

Join Now

* If you post any question or problem within the INSIDER forum, this guarantees MJ will read and respond to your post to the best of his ability at least one time. This guarantee does not imply a lifetime dialogue or a personal ongoing mentorship. Again, MJ has authored more than 38,000 responses at this forum since 2007.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.