The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Crushing the Comfort Zone

MakeItHappen

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
195%
Apr 12, 2012
Kinda curious to see if this anxiety will go away and the thing i'm doing will become my new comfort zone.
If you keep doing it repeatedly it most likely will, unless you have some very bad and painful experiences outside your comfort zone. lol

The-J

Dog Dad
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
265%
Aug 28, 2011
Ontario
What a cool thread. Got me all introspective and stuff.

Delegation is a big one. When I was still doing a lot of freelancing, I wanted to scale it by hiring freelancers to do the work for me + take the profit off the top. I failed because I chose the wrong freelancers AND because I failed at delegating properly. The spec sheets weren't very good. I didn't have a good handle on what the client wanted, either. Some of the freelancers were late, causing me to be late. All of this is my fault.

But I can move past this. I must move past this. I learned from the experience. Now I have to do better.

Get Right

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
478%
Jul 16, 2013
Sunny Florida
If you are straight -> tell some random dude that you think he is cute (this one is really awkward)

Added although I have to figure out how to do this without getting punched or making somebody else uncomfortable. For sure, it is going to be mega uncomfortable.

Jeff Noel

Go all in.
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
220%
Oct 26, 2018
Quebec, Canada
For the "Tell a guy he's cute" challenge, there's ways of saying another man that he looks good. Once you start doing that, you feel empowered and the rest of the day is great.

Ultimate challenge: Drop your entrepreneur career and start living 9 to 5, paycheck to paycheck. Stop investing your money, spend it carelessly. Start bitching about your boss and put the fault on everybody else when something's wrong. (Don't do this, please)

A more realistic challenge is ask strangers to borrow $20 or $100.
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmIeo2bZVoQ

As you can see he missed the "Why?" opportunity. Try to find one on the spot.

Watch his 100 days challenge:
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-vZXgApsPCQ

More info:

He bought a domain name related to that: 100 Days of Rejection — Rejection Therapy

He seems to be testing an app: https://rejectiontherapyapp.com/
And a book: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/080414138X/?tag=tff-amazonparser-20

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.
Last edited:
D

Deleted52409

I am a living testimony to the fact that if you do stupid and risky stuff then you will naturally gain much more confidence, even in a relatively short period of time.

Some uncomfortable stuff I have done in the past few months:

1. Going skydiving
2. Holding/playing with someone's pet snake
3. Car accident (not intentional obviously)
4. Took up first sales job and made a lot of cold calls
5. Visiting dangerous black neighborhoods like Gary, IN and South Side Chicago in general.
6. Hiking alone at night
7. Trying to dance at a wedding despite being white and failing horribly

Not sure exactly what the future holds but I plan to get into even more risk within the next 3 to 5 years such as:

- visiting a country far away without knowing the native language
- moving to a new state without a job
- more fastlane type financial risks

Timmy C

I Will Not Stop!
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
233%
Jun 12, 2018
Melbourne, Australia
That's awesome @Timmy1990 ! Man, try to make it the whole time. Try to get where it doesn't feel cold anymore. It will change your day and maybe more!

Ok so did it again lasted over a minute this time, also asked for a discount on my coffee at Macca's that was the worst, worse than cold shower. What was even more cringe was she was shocked I asked and I had to ask twice..did I get it no.

Get Right

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
478%
Jul 16, 2013
Sunny Florida
Do daily activities with opposite hand for a bit.

Love it, added!

Ok so did it again lasted over a minute this time, also asked for a discount on my coffee at Macca's that was the worst, worse than cold shower. What was even more cringe was she was shocked I asked and I had to ask twice..did I get it no.

Nice work! The discount thing is funny. Sometimes its more awkward to get the discount. Sometimes the ask is the hard part.

Everytime I walk in or out of a door frame. I do 5 push-ups. 5 in. 5 out.

Ha! That is awesome. Keep us updated on if anybody asks you why you are doing that.

RazorCut

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
358%
May 3, 2014
Marbella, Spain
@Get Right you are crushing it man. Serious kudos to you my friend.

That's awesome @Timmy1990 ! Man, try to make it the whole time. Try to get where it doesn't feel cold anymore. It will change your day and maybe more!

Also I think it depends on how cold the water is. In my gym the water doesn't even get all that cold while at home it gets cold enough to hurt a little bit.

I thought I would test the theory as I thought it was seriously cold as not many are man enough to use it. So I hit the cold shower at our sauna twice in succession to see if I was right. OMG I got brain freeze!! It hurt like hell. :rofl:

Timmy C

I Will Not Stop!
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
233%
Jun 12, 2018
Melbourne, Australia
I started his book a few days ago. I find it awesome how it ties in to my experiences in this thread. I especially love the 40% rule which I have now tested. Results will be out soon!

I just started listening to it on audible and noticed it tied into this thread as well, im like dang OP is David Goggins haha.

Not far into it at all but man what a shit house childhood.

Get Right

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
478%
Jul 16, 2013
Sunny Florida
volunteer you would get the chance to actually save somebodys life

Great idea, added with a twist. Our police department has a ride-along program. I'll sign up for that, should be uncomfortable!

RazorCut

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
358%
May 3, 2014
Marbella, Spain
CCZ#8 - Take a break from sugar - Well, I made it 6 days. I tripped up today without thinking. It shows how much sugar becomes a habit...and not a good one. I lost 3 pounds in those 6 days however.

3lbs? That's a lot of sugar. I used to take 3 teaspoons of sugar in a cup of coffee (brought up where my father used to take 4 in a cup of tea).

Went down to 1 then cut sugar altogether many years ago. Sugar in a hot beverage tastes like poison now. It's worth removing from your diet if you can.

amp0193

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
443%
May 27, 2013
United States
CCZ#11 - Hire another employee before absolutely necessary - I hired another project superintendent even though I only needed a little more help. Good thing I did as I sold another house! The small amount of time freed up from the jobsite allowed me to take some extra steps in closing a deal I might normally have missed. I just put an ad up to hire another!

This is one hell of a lesson for the rest of us.

You've bumped "finding my next hire" even higher up the priority list.

G

GuestUser4aMPs1

New:
CCZ#14 - Take a vacation - Idea from @UnrealCreative - Is my fastlane ready for me to be absent for awhile? Can I ditch the phone for a few days? Am I comfortable enough to part ways with a few grand? Sounds uncomfortable!

Hopefully "Vacation" includes a round of golf with someone nearby to help, you know...keep you accountable?!

Hmm, I wonder who lives close enough to do that ;)

Kak

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
495%
Jan 23, 2011
Texas
Dang it! My flight today got postponed. Was really looking forward to facing this one. Lack of control seams to be the uncomfortable part.

They will put you in control when you do finally do it. You're going to LOVE it. There is nothing in the world like flying an airplane. To impress the instructor, trim off the control pressure once you climb out... It is easy, look it up. :rofl:

Most people who do the discovery flight end up wanting to complete training and get a PPL.

whiz

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
356%
Nov 29, 2017
New Jersey
Thanks! This is what I am after. It doesn't have to be a phobia, just enough to make me uncomfortable.

I am adding adding martial arts to my list because of your recommendation! This sounds pretty uncomfortable so I am in. Going to pass on the shrooms and LSD for this experiment but I hear what you are saying.

Just keep in mind that it's the people that matter. Not so much the art...

You can have a great experience doing martial arts. Just use judgment. If the instructor seems like a douche and there's a douchey vibe, find another school.

Some people are just insecure douches who love to pick on new people. If you feel that vibe, find a new school.

You should be welcomed, and people should be going easy on you and teaching you alot when you're new. They should love to share and help you grow.

Just find a school with really chill, respectful people. There has to be an air of collective learning. Everyone is there to become better.

Good luck

wade1mil

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
246%
Jun 29, 2011
Some ideas for you...
Eat the three foods you hate most.
Yell random things and do jumping jacks/push-ups in a crowded public space.

MakeItHappen

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
195%
Apr 12, 2012
Great idea for a thread!

I see you already have done the cold shower, you could increase the discomfort by taking an ice bath.

Imo cold showers are great because they don't get comfortable over time because your bodys number one priority is to safe energy and it takes a lot of energy for the body to stay warm in a very cold environment.
Usually if you get out of your comfort zone often enough doing the same thing the discomfort will go away but with cold showers the discomfort stays especially if you hadn't a cold shower for a couple of days in a row.

On top of that cold showers have a lot of great health benefits.

Last edited:

MakeItHappen

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
195%
Apr 12, 2012
I have a cold showers most days at my gym, but I welcome them as I stay in the sauna for as long as possible and the cold shower comes more as a relief.
-
Is the same the case if you take cold showers lets say first thing in the morning?
Also I think it depends on how cold the water is. In my gym the water doesn't even get all that cold while at home it gets cold enough to hurt a little bit.
Cold showers are also a lot colder in a cold environment. In summer the cold showers aren't the same as in winter and that's where ice bath are a nice addition.

RazorCut

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
358%
May 3, 2014
Marbella, Spain
Cold showers at home certainly hurt more. The water is cold at the gym (there is a dedicated cold shower right outside the steam room and sauna) and it certainly is a shock to the system. However even the regular showers in the changing rooms are only what I'd call warm. Then again I do like a really hot shower.

My old gym used to have a plunge pool outside the sauna. That was bracing. lol

RazorCut

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
358%
May 3, 2014
Marbella, Spain
Gave me a good idea man.

I never like to leave customers hanging. I want to help them even if they don't go with us. If our product can't meet their needs I tell them to call the ones who are a better fit.

I should call those competitors up and get a referral code! They don't even know I'm doing it.

I've done this in the past with customers who have phoned as they couldn't find exactly what they wanted off our website. If I couldn't help I would tell them who could (even giving them the telephone number of the competitor) and just told them to say they had spoken to me and I had recommended them.

Over the years I was amazed at the number of calls I have received where this has been reciprocated or came from companies that obviously knew us but I had never heard of.

I'm good there since I work at heights a lot. I'm not fond of moving around at heights though. I'll add the zip line though because it sounds uncomfortable from a "no control" aspect.

This was my son's issue. He drives a Mercedes AMG A45 and loves speed but only if he's in control.

G

GuestUser4aMPs1

Start selling Amway, and make sure it's Women's Cosmetics.
Bonus points if it's sold to friends / family.

Visit a religion's 'building' other than your own and participate.
(i.e. Buddhist Temple, Mosque, Pagan Drum Circle, etc)

Last edited by a moderator:

Timmy C

I Will Not Stop!
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
233%
Jun 12, 2018
Melbourne, Australia
Watching this thread.

Absolute gold, inspired me to get out of my comfort zone to. I am gonna do some wack Sh1t over the next couple months hahaha.

Timmy C

I Will Not Stop!
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
233%
Jun 12, 2018
Melbourne, Australia
Ok I just took a cold shower OP, can confirm the screaming like someone is trying to murder you happens, my old man looked at me like I was insane and pissed himself laughing hahahahaha. I only lasted 20 seconds though that was way harder than I thought.

OMDA

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
204%
Dec 21, 2017
FL
I hate running.

A lot. Haven't gone running in a few years. I've spend most of my time lifting weights, but not running.

But, after reading Goggin's book, and being stuck away from home for this vacation, with no real gym here, I've been on two runs. They were short, but I mixed in sprints to increase the intensity.

It made me pretty uncomfortable. My calves are killing me, and I've been working them out 3x a week, often with weight added.

Reading this thread for more ideas on what to do in order to kill the comfort zone.

Royce2

y'all need jesus
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
206%
Dec 16, 2018
Washington State
I thought I would test the theory as I thought it was seriously cold as not many are man enough to use it. So I hit the cold shower at our sauna twice in succession to see if I was right. OMG I got brain freeze!! It hurt like hell. :rofl:
-CZ related-
I come from a Russian background and the way we sauna is like this: Heat it up to 100 Fahrenheit, and sit for 20-30 minutes (warmup round) then toss in some wood into the furnace we don’t mess with the electric stuff they don’t work as well. Then take a quick break outside and go back in and sit for 10-15 in 120F or at least when you start getting uncomfortable with the heat.. then you sit another 5 minutes in all of that THEN pour water on the rocks and breath the vapor as long as you can. then go outside and jump into a glacier river nearby. And at that point you don’t feel any coldness, just a huge rush of adrenaline and freshness. Do that about 6 times and you will be naturally high for the rest of the night and sleep soundly. @Chapas might confirm.

dgr

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
271%
Feb 20, 2016
Spain
Great challenge @Get Right! It's nice to see your progress and would love to know how you translate your new experiences to any other areas in your life or business :)

I'm quite used to this kind of CZ challenges, doing them since 7 or 8 years ago. The cold showers are great, they've become my standard and I really enjoy them.

But this past year I think I pushed myself too much and then I spent a while doing exactly the opposite: just finding my CZ and resisting doing anything that pushed myself in those areas.

The thing with the CZ is that when you crush it, you still need to integrate that new expanded CZ into your life, and that takes time and usually repetition. Some challenges seem hard to do until you do them, but the hardest part comes when you have to do them again and again.

The first time the adrenaline helps you to perform. But in the next 2-10 times, you will discover new tactics that your mind uses against you to avoid the pain.

I don't know if that will apply also to massages :D

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.