The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Dealing with trademark, patent, IP?

lnBetween

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
69%
Oct 25, 2014
Montreal, Canada
Hi, I'm currently searching on Alibaba for product ideas after reading some Amazon/importing threads on this forum. But I'm wondering how to make sure that the product I'm about to import doesn't infringe any trademark or patent?

For example, I see many mp3 players for sale and there's definitely intellectual property associated with the design of the products. Can I still simply put my branding on the product and claim that it's my own?

Another example, what about generic iPhone cables? Wouldn't I get in trouble if I simply put my branding on them?

Those are 2 obvious examples but there's IP associated with most products and don't know how I should deal with that.

Thanks!

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Y.B.

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
93%
Feb 7, 2014
I've seen that issue as well and was wondering the same thing. I've seen socks that look identical to nike's but unless you spot that, there is no way you would know without doing a comprehensive design search.

Vigilante

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Oct 31, 2011
Gulf Coast
One of the reasons this thread is not drawing a ton of response, as the subject asks for a legal conclusion, or legal advice. We're not qualified to answer your question from a legal perspective. As I am a paralegal in Minnesota, the State of Minnesota requires me to say that any comments I have on this subject are not legal advice, that I am not an attorney, and if you have questions regarding trademarks and the potential violation of patents, etc.. that you should seek competent legal advice. The reason for the huge disclaimer is that if you listen to what someone says here, and act on it... you could then later enjoin them into your legal issues for giving you bad "legal" advice. I'm not an attorney, so can't give you legal advice.

The rule of thumb is that if it is gray area, run away.

MP3? Not only is it an industry plagued with lawsuits, but electronics in total carry huge liability for importers with huge consumer issues, warranty issues, and IP related issues. Plus, MP3 players themselves need to have several licenses paid, and a lot of shady Chinese manufacturers don't comply. You won't find that out until the goods hit customs, at which point they will be frozen and ultimately liquidated/destroyed at your expense.

Not sure about generic iPhone cables, but what I can tell you about them is they are a dime a dozen. Here's one for .01 cent plus free shipping on an eBay auction listing http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-USB-Dat...Phone_PDA_Cables_Adapters&hash=item234699b61e

So... keep pressing. Find products that will keep you so far out of harm's way that your OP is not ever in question. You have the right idea, but the wrong products. Stay away from commoditized products, products which even have a hint of infringing on someone else's intellectual property, or products that are readily available without you in your area.

There are literally hundreds of thousands of products you can pick from, so don't pick ones that are likely to bring you issues.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

lnBetween

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
69%
Oct 25, 2014
Montreal, Canada
... Stay away from commoditized products, products which even have a hint of infringing on someone else's intellectual property, or products that are readily available without you in your area. ...

Thanks Vigilante for your insight! Much appreciated! Rep added.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.