The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join today.

Since 2007, MJ DeMarco has helped entrepreneurs win their freedom with over 38,000 game-changing posts. Join over 90,000 members and a library of over 1,000,000 posts from entrepreneurs worldwide.

Registration at the forum removes this block.

Dear diary, I'm so damn tired. Lol

A detailed account of a Fastlane process...

P0KiD0Ki92

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
255%
May 29, 2024
Atlanta, GA
It's been about 3 weeks since I finished TMF and about 2 weeks since I started working on building my business full time. Unfortunately (but also fortunately), I'm still working at my day job bc mama's got bills to pay. I'm using this thread not only as an immortal diary, but as a method of accountability. I will do my absolute damn best to post something that I've done for my business at least once a day.

I've chosen a software system as my Fastlane business not only because I have domain knowledge, but because I believe that I've found a genuine need that must be addressed. Working as a software engineer on what is essentially a feature maintenance team where I primarily fix bugs and other peoples coding errors did not prepare me for going through both the product development lifecycle (PDLC) and the software development lifecycle (SDLC) at all, let alone on my own. I'm also self-taught, so I'm learning most of this nitty gritty shit on the fly as I didn't really need to know any of that to get my job. There are a couple of connections I made at a tech conference last year that I would like to bring on board, but I won't do that until I've validated the product and secured at least some grant (not VC) funding so that I can pay them because this is an extremely ambitious venture and will not be easy.

All that said, getting off my work machine after 5-6 hours to then get on my personal machine for another 6-8 hrs a day to research and apply to business grants is getting a teensy bit exhausting and can't possibly be good for my circadian rhythm. I'm hoping to figure out some sort of schedule to maintain balance so that I don't burn out. Right now, I'm writing 2 things on my business "to do" board per day. If I only achieve one of the two things, 1 > 0. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ The cool thing is that I'm actually excited about this, so it doesn't feel totally awful to lose out on 1-3 hours of sleep.

I feel confident that this (entrepreneurship, not necessarily the product) was always my path. The more I learn about it, the more I see just how suited I am to it personality wise. My only regret is not being shaken out of my inertia sooner. TMF , Unscripted , and F.U Money by Dan Lok (excluding some of the more problematic sidewalky bits-- like getting a $2m mortgage just bc you can) were the books that helped me shed my misconceptions about entrepreneurs and made me realize that I had the capacity to become one.

So let's F*cking go.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

MohammadJouza

New Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
48%
Jun 8, 2024
Jordan
It's been about 3 weeks since I finished TMF and about 2 weeks since I started working on building my business full time. Unfortunately (but also fortunately), I'm still working at my day job bc mama's got bills to pay. I'm using this thread not only as an immortal diary, but as a method of accountability. I will do my absolute damn best to post something that I've done for my business at least once a day.

I've chosen a software system as my Fastlane business not only because I have domain knowledge, but because I believe that I've found a genuine need that must be addressed. Working as a software engineer on what is essentially a feature maintenance team where I primarily fix bugs and other peoples coding errors did not prepare me for going through both the product development lifecycle (PDLC) and the software development lifecycle (SDLC) at all, let alone on my own. I'm also self-taught, so I'm learning most of this nitty gritty shit on the fly as I didn't really need to know any of that to get my job. There are a couple of connections I made at a tech conference last year that I would like to bring on board, but I won't do that until I've validated the product and secured at least some grant (not VC) funding so that I can pay them because this is an extremely ambitious venture and will not be easy.

All that said, getting off my work machine after 5-6 hours to then get on my personal machine for another 6-8 hrs a day to research and apply to business grants is getting a teensy bit exhausting and can't possibly be good for my circadian rhythm. I'm hoping to figure out some sort of schedule to maintain balance so that I don't burn out. Right now, I'm writing 2 things on my business "to do" board per day. If I only achieve one of the two things, 1 > 0. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ The cool thing is that I'm actually excited about this, so it doesn't feel totally awful to lose out on 1-3 hours of sleep.

I feel confident that this (entrepreneurship, not necessarily the product) was always my path. The more I learn about it, the more I see just how suited I am to it personality wise. My only regret is not being shaken out of my inertia sooner. TMF , Unscripted , and F.U Money by Dan Lok (excluding some of the more problematic sidewalky bits-- like getting a $2m mortgage just bc you can) were the books that helped me shed my misconceptions about entrepreneurs and made me realize that I had the capacity to become one.

So let's F*cking go.
If you need any help I am willing to offer a free 30-minute mentorship [nothing to sell] (I am a Founder of a Coding School ) and I have good experience in starting a new business

Sean P

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
97%
Jul 4, 2014
I read the title and at first it sounded like someone who had already been on a long journey. But it is good that you are still so excited about your software venture. Juggling a day job while building a business is tough, but some planning with milestones will be more useful than daily goals.

Break it up into phases and individual steps, put a date to each item and follow through accordingly.

Since you have domain knowledge you will be able to gauge the feasibility of your milestones and what you need to do in case of any deviations or delays.

There will be a learning curve with PDLC and SDLC, especially when you're self-taught. Don't be too hard on yourself as you figure it out. :)

Watch out for burnout because those long hours can catch up with you. Take time off, maybe each week or after each milestone.

Keep that excitement alive so that it fuels you through the challenges ahead. Good luck!

Become a Fastlane Member Today to Read More or Comment.

This thread has
more posts!

Join MJ DeMarco's Inner Circle and Rub Shoulders with Other Millionaire Entrepreneurs

This isn’t just another community led by an absent guru. Since 2007, multi-millionaire entrepreneur and best-selling author MJ DeMarco has been a daily, hands-on mentor at the Fastlane Forum, authoring a staggering 38,000 posts filled with invaluable insights, strategies, and advice. When you join Fastlane, you’re not merely becoming a member—you’re entering MJ’s inner circle, a supportive home where you’re never left to navigate alone. Embrace the power of true mentorship and transform your entrepreneurial journey with the Fastlane Forum.

Basic Membership (Monthly)

• Read all threads in the main forums/categories.
  • Post comments in existing topics.
  • React to any comment/post.
  • Sort big threads by best posts.
  • Cancel anytime

$5 per month

Join Now

Basic Membership (Yearly)

• Save 22% vs yearly
  • Read all threads in the main forums/categories.
  • Post comments in existing topics.
  • React to any comment/post.
  • Sort big threads by best posts.
  • Cancel anytime

$47 per year

Join Now

VIP Insider Membership

• Same as basic plus...
  • Guaranteed read/response from MJ DeMarco*
  • Access to the private Insider forum for more advanced users.
  • Bookmark any posts
  • No non-sponsor ads

$119.88 per year

Join Now

* If you post any question or problem within the INSIDER forum, this guarantees MJ will read and respond to your post to the best of his ability at least one time. This guarantee does not imply a lifetime dialogue or a personal ongoing mentorship. Again, MJ has authored more than 38,000 responses at this forum since 2007.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.