The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Do you enjoy Chinese food?

Russ H

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
21%
Jul 25, 2007
Napa Valley, CA

. . . and other foods w/MSG?

Some surprising new research announced today:

MSG in the news-- new health findings

Also, I never realized it, but when you look on an ingredients list, lots of things are actually MSG-- they just have different names (like "hydrolized yeast"):

Glutamic acid and its salts can also be present in a wide variety of other additives, including hydrolyzed vegetable proteins, autolyzed yeast, hydrolyzed yeast, yeast extract, soy extracts, and protein isolate, any one of which may appear as "spices" or "natural flavorings." The food additives disodium inosinate and disodium guanylate are usually used along with monosodium glutamate-containing ingredients, and provide a likely indicator of the presence of monosodium glutamate in a product. For this reason, the FDA considers labels such as "No MSG" or "No Added MSG" to be misleading if the food contains ingredients that are sources of free glutamate, such as hydrolyzed protein.

MSG on wiki.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

hatterasguy

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
9%
Jul 29, 2008
Yes, I have it at least once a week.

Don't worry, I'm sure the cigars, or alcohol will get me long before the MSG does.:smx6:

Russ H

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
21%
Jul 25, 2007
Napa Valley, CA
Hatterasguy said:
I'm sure the cigars, or alcohol will get me long before the MSG does. :smx6:
. . . or the cars.

or the boats. ;)

-Russ H.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
448%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
You want to talk about Asparatame? High Fructose Corn Syrup? The list of additives that are comparable, if not worse than MSG is quite lengthy.

I'd eat a bowl of Chinese food anyday before a Diet Coke. Kinda fits in with that SHAMPOO thread.

Russ H

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
21%
Jul 25, 2007
Napa Valley, CA
Didja watch the vid, MJ?

I'm not saying it's worse than anything-- just new info-- and I found that interesting/fascinating.

Also, I'm a guy that reads lists of ingredients (as evidenced by our shampoo thread), and I was stunned to find out that there are a lot of "MSG-clones" or MSG substances that use different names.

I had no idea. I thought it could either be listed as monosodium glutamate, or a "natural flavorings".

-Russ H.

Rawr

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
96%
Aug 12, 2007
south florida
You want to talk about Asparatame? High Fructose Corn Syrup? The list of additives that are comparable, if not worse than MSG is quite lengthy.

I'd eat a bowl of Chinese food anyday before a Diet Coke. Kinda fits in with that SHAMPOO thread.

Diet coke = 0 calories

Chinese food = a lot of fat mixed with carbs = nice tire around the waist.

I love good Chinese food now and then, but I'll take the diet coke!

TC2

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
12%
Jun 30, 2008
Phoenix, AZ
I am wondering how many Chinese are on this forum. :)

I love Mexican Foods. Don't they use MSG?
I love A1 source. Does it contain MSG?

I don't really want to know.

qwerety

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
6%
May 26, 2008
Detroit, MI
Also, don't forget that MSG also occurs naturally in some foods. Its not always an added thing.

Everything in moderation.

Yes I'm with MJ I would take the chinese before a diet coke anyday. I have taken 2 college nutrition courses as well as a food chem class in college (which was one of the hardest classes I ever had) and I remember the stuff about that.

Rawr, don't assume because of the calorie amount that its better. After all think of all the different meds and pills out there that can seriously mess with the body, and it isn't like those have a bunch of calories.

Maybe you are getting the wrong foods, but most chinese I eat doesn't have much fat, its basically various veggies stir fried with some type of meat in a sauce (that will take care of sodium and msg) with either a bit of rice or maybe noodles (which gives you carbs). Carbs = Energy. Only time they bad is if you eat too much carbs for your activity level or just too much refined carbs. Like I said though, everything in moderation.

Say what you will, but good (good being the key word lol) chinese places have fresh stuff. No preservatives or additives. Look at the ingredients of a diet coke. Not many naturals there.

PaulRobert

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
146%
May 15, 2009
New Jersey

A Diet version of anything is just poison for your body. My friend's uncle got throat cancer from drinking that stuff. His doctor said it was a high chance from drinking so much diet soda. ( He did not smoke) Just read what is in Splenda and then look at Sugar. Which is healthier for your body?

qwerety

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
6%
May 26, 2008
Detroit, MI
A Diet version of anything is just poison for your body. My friend's uncle got throat cancer from drinking that stuff. His doctor said it was a high chance from drinking so much diet soda. ( He did not smoke) Just read what is in Splenda and then look at Sugar. Which is healthier for your body?
Natural anything better than unnatural.

Russ H

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
21%
Jul 25, 2007
Napa Valley, CA
Oy. Too many generalized sweeping statements here.

qwertey said:
Natural anything better than unnatural.

If you eat naturally occurring poison (like arsenic), or synthesized poison (like synthesized arsenic), it doesn't make a difference. You die.

Unless you just want a healthier looking corpse! ;)

Lamboman 350K said:
My friend's uncle got throat cancer from drinking that stuff. His doctor said it was a high chance from drinking so much diet soda. (He did not smoke).

Just read what is in Splenda and then look at Sugar. Which is healthier for your body?

Have you looked at Splenda? I personally don't care for it, but it has virtually identical molecular structure to natural sugar:

Sucralose - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I realize there is one study that points to aspartame as a possible carcinogen, if someone is exposed to it prenatally and then fed small doses constantly (in other words, kids mom drinks diet soda and kid drinks it from the time they're born).

Here's that study. Note that they recommend switching to Splenda if you're concerned!

If I'm wrong and there are studies on Splenda identifying it as a carcinogen, please link to the relevant scientific studies. Thanks. :)

Let me be clear: With the exception of Stevia (a naturally occurring sweetener), I don't think things like aspartame, splenda, sacharin, or others are good for you. And I think they could definitely be potentially dangerous.

But to say "this causes cancer" without any clinical evidence is just wrong. Stick to the science.

-Russ H.

Rawr

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
96%
Aug 12, 2007
south florida
Oy. Too many generalized sweeping statements here.

If you eat naturally occurring poison (like arsenic), or synthesized poison (like synthesized arsenic), it doesn't make a difference. You die.

Unless you just want a healthier looking corpse! ;)

Have you looked at Splenda? I personally don't care for it, but it has virtually identical molecular structure to natural sugar:

I realize there is one study that points to aspartame as a possible carcinogen, if someone is exposed to it prenatally and then fed small doses constantly (in other words, kids mom drinks diet soda and kid drinks it from the time they're born).

Here's that study. Note that they recommend switching to Splenda if you're concerned!

If I'm wrong and there are studies on Splenda identifying it as a carcinogen, please link to the relevant scientific studies. Thanks. :)

Let me be clear: With the exception of Stevia (a naturally occurring sweetener), I don't think things like aspartame, splenda, sacharin, or others are good for you. And I think they could definitely be potentially dangerous.

But to say "this causes cancer" without any clinical evidence is just wrong. Stick to the science.

-Russ H.

Thank you Russ. Almost word for word...

Anecdotal evidence aside, please feel free to show any scientific studies that show a direct link between diet soda and cancer.

The only side effect I am aware of besides dehydration from caffeine is the lust for sweets.

Rawr

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
96%
Aug 12, 2007
south florida
Also, don't forget that MSG also occurs naturally in some foods. Its not always an added thing.

Everything in moderation.

Yes I'm with MJ I would take the chinese before a diet coke anyday. I have taken 2 college nutrition courses as well as a food chem class in college (which was one of the hardest classes I ever had) and I remember the stuff about that.

Rawr, don't assume because of the calorie amount that its better. After all think of all the different meds and pills out there that can seriously mess with the body, and it isn't like those have a bunch of calories.

Maybe you are getting the wrong foods, but most chinese I eat doesn't have much fat, its basically various veggies stir fried with some type of meat in a sauce (that will take care of sodium and msg) with either a bit of rice or maybe noodles (which gives you carbs). Carbs = Energy. Only time they bad is if you eat too much carbs for your activity level or just too much refined carbs. Like I said though, everything in moderation.

Say what you will, but good (good being the key word lol) chinese places have fresh stuff. No preservatives or additives. Look at the ingredients of a diet coke. Not many naturals there.

This is a fairly popular choice:

Calories in General Tso's Chicken

Sure, you can just ask to toss the rice and meat and veggies, or better yet skip half the rice to make it healthy, but generally, you want that tasty chicken, and most of it is swimming in oil to make it that tasty.

PaulRobert

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
146%
May 15, 2009
New Jersey

-Russ H.

Ok looks like it's my turn to clear some things up! :)

My friend told to me about his uncle a couple years back (we were in elementary school) His cancer may of been caused from something else but he drank quite a bit of diet soda. I believe that there are no studies saying Splenda is bad for you, but personally I think it is potentially harmful for your health in the long run. From now on I'll just stick to the science as you state. :thumbsup: Maybe in the future new studies will reveal which sweetener is good or bad for you. Hey they just figured out that tanning salons cause a greater risk of skin cancer. (I provided a link hehe)

Maple Ridge News - Tanning beds raise cancer risks: report

hatterasguy

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
9%
Jul 29, 2008
This is a fairly popular choice:

Calories in General Tso's Chicken

Sure, you can just ask to toss the rice and meat and veggies, or better yet skip half the rice to make it healthy, but generally, you want that tasty chicken, and most of it is swimming in oil to make it that tasty.

Wow, that stuff is bad for you! Its also my favorite I just had some for dinner last night!

Russ H

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
21%
Jul 25, 2007
Napa Valley, CA
Rawr said:
Anecdotal evidence aside, please feel free to show any scientific studies that show a direct link between diet soda and cancer.

The only side effect I am aware of besides dehydration from caffeine is the lust for sweets.

Rawr, you do know that nutrisweet has been linked to male testicular atrophy, right?

Here's the latest study.

-Russ H.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.