The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Do you find Google's web tools difficult?

Jackflower93

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
72%
Jul 7, 2016
Anyone else find using Google's web tools a complete nighmare!? :arghh:

I've been using...

• Search console
  • Analytics
  • Adwords
Is it me or is it all in a language that seems purposely hard to understand. :headbanger:

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Yoda

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
710%
Nov 12, 2015
Dagobah

I've been using...

• Search console
  • Analytics
  • Adwords
Is it me or is it all in a language that seems purposely hard to understand. :headbanger:

But those tools are the picks to the mine.

Keep digging for gold.

devine

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Apr 16, 2015
Russia
I find every Google's product, besides their search engine, a total disregard for their users.
Everything they touch becomes substandard, from Youtube being dysfunctional for more than 2 years, to UI in their other services.

Jackflower93

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
72%
Jul 7, 2016
But those tools are the picks to the mine.

Keep digging for gold.

Yepp I plan to! Just takes a little time and a lot of scratching your head...

Where can I sign up for this gold mine you speak about.... ;)

Jackflower93

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
72%
Jul 7, 2016
I find every Google's product, besides their search engine, a total disregard for their users.
Everything they touch becomes substandard, from Youtube being dysfunctional for more than 2 years, to UI in their other services.

Glad you said that I was feeling lonely in my predicament...:)

Scot

Salad Dressing Empire
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
473%
Jul 10, 2016
Florida
Oh Im right there with you. I read every single one of @Andy Black's adwords posts. I was ready to go! Then I started, uh... what? Even just the simplest things like ad position has me scratching my head. I know I need to just keep experimenting, measuring and readjusting. But damn, they don't make it easy for a newbie to figure out. I guess thats why if you can figure out how to master this stuff, it can be HUGE for your business.

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
369%
May 20, 2014
Ireland

I've been using...

• Search console
  • Analytics
  • Adwords
Google was founded by engineers. It is steeped in engineering DNA. Engineers think everyone else views the world the way they do, when business owners typically don't.

Therein lies our opportunity.

So many business owners can't make head nor tail of AdWords for instance.

I've been on courses where everyone introduces what their business is at the start.

Other attendees don't know me from Adam, but when I say "I use AdWords to generate more phone calls for local service business" they line up to speak to me at coffee breaks.

They don't need testimonials or proof you're any good - the fact you even "do AdWords" means you're from a different planet, and that's good enough for many of them.

Mom 'n' Pop can't build effective AdWords campaigns. Directories/platforms such as the Yellow Pages and Booking.com effectively resell AdWords for Google - they sign up businesses and use some of their revenue to buy visitors from the Google Search Engine.

G

GuestUser450

Engineers think everyone else views the world the way they do, when business owners typically don't. Therein lies our opportunity.

Yep. I sell analytics+insights: something the goog gives away for free.

People will always pay for a better experience. They care less about price than they do about trustworthiness, competence and the ability to actually reach someone.

ApparentHorizon

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
301%
Apr 1, 2016
Greenville, SC
Anyone else find using Google's web tools a complete nighmare!?
It is steeped in engineering DNA. Engineers think everyone else views the world the way they do, when business owners typically don't.

Maybe they don't want it too simple: G search and YouTube are easy to use, so they're definitely capable.

If you look at what happened with the SEO industry, the low barriers to entry (aka people being spoon-fed), destroyed that market's margins. Perhaps they don't want those same people promoting a Google product directly.

Jackflower93

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
72%
Jul 7, 2016
S
Google was founded by engineers. It is steeped in engineering DNA. Engineers think everyone else views the world the way they do, when business owners typically don't.

Therein lies our opportunity.

So many business owners can't make head nor tail of AdWords for instance.

I've been on courses where everyone introduces what their business is at the start.

Other attendees don't know me from Adam, but when I say "I use AdWords to generate more phone calls for local service business" they line up to speak to me at coffee breaks.

They don't need testimonials or proof you're any good - the fact you even "do AdWords" means you're from a different planet, and that's good enough for many of them.

Mom 'n' Pop can't build effective AdWords campaigns. Directories/platforms such as the Yellow Pages and Booking.com effectively resell AdWords for Google - they sign up businesses and use some of their revenue to buy visitors from the Google Search Engine.

You make a really good point Andy..
Allow me to ask a question from a different view. You say you have people that line up to speak to you...

How much would you recommend learning before I can make a business offering it to small companies. I clearly see an opourtunity there...

Vigilante

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Oct 31, 2011
Gulf Coast
One of the reasons I switched over to Google Domains is it takes the whole Webmaster Tools suite out of play. It is all automated by Google, with no continued authentication, embedded HTML, verification, etc....

In short, what ever I am paying extra is well worth it to not have to hire an IT nerd like @LightHouse to figure it all out for me.

DaRK9

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
213%
May 23, 2014

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
369%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
You make a really good point Andy..

Allow me to ask a question from a different view. You say you have people that line up to speak to you...

How much would you recommend learning before I can make a business offering it to small companies. I clearly see an opourtunity there...
I don't have people line up so much now-a-days. IRL I keep my mouth shut about what I do unless someone asks, and then I try and gauge what level they're at. Too many small business owners just aren't a good fit.

As for how much you need to know... I did a video in the thread "You don't need to be an expert", and I talked more about the same story in a radio interview in thread "The biggest reason websites suck".

If you're helping a family member or close friend, you can say "I'm learning to do those Google ads. Would you be interested in seeing if we can get people searching on Google for XYZ to ring you?" If they even just pay the ad spend and don't pay you a fee, then you've a first "client" and case study.

Another potential route (that I'm currently working on) would be to build a campaign and try and generate a phone call or form fill enquiry to your own phone/email address of someone looking for a local service (e.g. someone looking for a plumber in Dublin).

When/if you get a lead, then contact plumbers in Dublin asking "Are you a plumber? Do you cover <area in Dublin>?" Then tell them "We have a "
referral of someone looking for XYZ", and ask if they would be able to help.

This kills two birds with one stone - you only speak to businesses you can actually generate leads for (even if it's just been one), AND your initial call isn't some sort of cold sales call, instead you're the type of call they carry a phone for.

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
369%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
After reviewing campaigns I tend to get worn out from looking at tables and numbers forever.

I was thinking about trying this out. https://altus.io/

Also, I found this a while back and have been using some. https://www.koozai.com/blog/pay-per-click-ppc/google-adwords/100-google-adwords-scripts-using/
Hmm... Interesting. I'm a Maths grad who used to be a Database Admin who loves Excel. That explains why I don't get bored with numbers and tables. I forgot other people's eyes glaze over at this stuff.

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
369%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
yeah, they have an overt hostility towards their users.
It felt like that to customers using AdWords too, although I feel they're getting much better at this now.

I actually spoke to a couple of different people in Google this week - years ago it was like pulling teeth to get to speak to someone.

I read (so it's got to be true eh?) that Google wanted to buy Groupon way back when - because Groupon had the sales team and processes to sign up the smaller businesses. Makes sense.

Jackflower93

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
72%
Jul 7, 2016
I don't have people line up so much now-a-days. IRL I keep my mouth shut about what I do unless someone asks, and then I try and gauge what level they're at. Too many small business owners just aren't a good fit.

As for how much you need to know... I did a video in the thread "You don't need to be an expert", and I talked more about the same story in a radio interview in thread "The biggest reason websites suck".

If you're helping a family member or close friend, you can say "I'm learning to do those Google ads. Would you be interested in seeing if we can get people searching on Google for XYZ to ring you?" If they even just pay the ad spend and don't pay you a fee, then you've a first "client" and case study.

Another potential route (that I'm currently working on) would be to build a campaign and try and generate a phone call or form fill enquiry to your own phone/email address of someone looking for a local service (e.g. someone looking for a plumber in Dublin).

When/if you get a lead, then contact plumbers in Dublin asking "Are you a plumber? Do you cover <area in Dublin>?" Then tell them "We have a "
referral of someone looking for XYZ", and ask if they would be able to help.

This kills two birds with one stone - you only speak to businesses you can actually generate leads for (even if it's just been one), AND your initial call isn't some sort of cold sales call, instead you're the type of call they carry a phone for.

I would be extremely intrested to see how this goes... Sounds like a neat little business ..

ExcelGuy

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
129%
Aug 11, 2016
Waterloo, Ontario

When/if you get a lead, then contact plumbers in Dublin asking "Are you a plumber? Do you cover <area in Dublin>?" Then tell them "We have a referral of someone looking for XYZ", and ask if they would be able to help.
Two pieces of genius right here. I learned a bit about Adwords about 6 years ago when there was a tonne of ebooks and courses on them. I don't even remember which ones I used. I was able to direct a few people to sites, but I had no product, so in the end it was wasted money.

After seeing Andy's profile, I was thinking of checking out my adwords account again. My first one was cancelled by Google but I think I was able to get it running again a few years later.

I would take time to go through the Google Tutorials and if that still doesn't help, I think there is an Adwords for Dummies.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.