The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Do You Live in a Big City, a Town, or in the Countryside?

Where do you live?

• A big city (over 1 million people)

Votes: 28 43.8%
  • A medium to big city (500,000-1 million people)

Votes: 8 12.5%
  • A medium city (100,000-500,000 people)

Votes: 10 15.6%
  • A small city (25,000-100,000 people)

Votes: 8 12.5%
  • A town (below 25,000 people)

Votes: 4 6.3%
  • More urbanized countryside

Votes: 4 6.3%
  • Sparsely populated countryside

Votes: 2 3.1%

• Total voters

MTF

Never give up
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
455%
May 1, 2011
Just curious how many Fastlaners live in big cities vs less urbanized areas.

Would you say that there are more entrepreneurs in big cities, small towns, or the countryside or is there no relationship between where you live and what percentage of people are entrepreneurial?

As for the poll, the categories are just rough estimates. If you live in a small town that's a part of a larger metropolitan area then choose the big city. Same with suburbs.

Also, if you could live wherever, would you still live in the same size category or move elsewhere? For example, if you live in a big city, would you move to a smaller town or to the countryside if you reached your financial goals?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

fastlane_dad

8 Figure Fastlane Graduate
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
638%
Jun 20, 2017
Scottsdale, AZ
Big city here (Phoenix / Arizona)
Would you say that there are more entrepreneurs in big cities, small towns, or the countryside or is there no relationship between where you live and what percentage of people are entrepreneurial?
My guess is that more entrepreneurs (numbers wise) congregate around a major city -- but maybe percentage wise in a small town - as again to serve the needs of that small town. Again we need to define what an 'entrepreneur' is here - is a sandwich shop owner an entrepreneur? Laundromat operator? ETC.
As for the poll, the categories are just rough estimates. If you live in a small town that's a part of a larger metropolitan area then choose the big city. Same with suburbs.

Also, if you could live wherever, would you still live in the same size category or move elsewhere? For example, if you live in a big city, would you move to a smaller town or to the countryside if you reached your financial goals?
There are pros and cons to living in both. Currently enjoying the amenities of a 'big city' (food, schools, activities, proximity to airport and other attractions and major cities, shopping, etc) -- BUT def won't rule out one day moving to a much smaller city one day to enjoy the pros of that.

I made the decision to move to the southwest 15+ years back (no job, left family, etc) and will make that decision again if I find a more suitable place for myself and my family one day.

Many times the 'moving' for myself (and I assume others) has less to do with financial goals - but more so with familial / community ties, choice to have/not have children, and lifestyle you are trying to live. BUT also as you point out, finances and accessibility to (well paying) jobs and such again I imagine hub around major cities majority of the time for many individuals.

G

Guest-5ty5s4

I'm right at the cutoff of small city/small town. (Definitely small town for where biz is located, actually). Our main business does mid to low 8 figures per year in revenue - it's an industrial business. You don't need to be in a big city to grow a big business.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
I live in a tiny town that doesn't even have a restaurant or a coffee shop. But I answered "big city" since it is considered a suburb of a big city.

Xeon

All Cars Kneel Before Pagani.
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
191%
Sep 3, 2017
Singapore
I live in one of the most densely populated "cities" in the world. My dream has always been to live in a slightly urbanized countryside (but not entirely rural where there's only one hut in the middle of the wilderness because that's scary aka bears etc)

Antifragile

Progress not perfection
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
458%
Mar 15, 2018
I live in a tiny town that doesn't even have a restaurant or a coffee shop. But I answered "big city" since it is considered a suburb of a big city.
I think this counts. I voted big city because it’s right next to our little suburban community… and I can see it (high rises) from my home, that close. I consider us all being part of same big city area. That said, our suburban district has retail ;)

I love where we live and don’t consider moving anytime soon.

SteveO

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
456%
Jul 24, 2007
I live in a medium city. Spent most of my life in large cities, San Diego and Phoenix.

I'm on the extreme edge. Nothing behind me but unbuildable mountains. Yet, I'm 5 minutes from a major grocery store and my golf course.

Coyote's, bighorn sheep and giant lizards roam the property.

This will be my final resting place.

MTF

Never give up
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
455%
May 1, 2011
My guess is that more entrepreneurs (numbers wise) congregate around a major city -- but maybe percentage wise in a small town - as again to serve the needs of that small town. Again we need to define what an 'entrepreneur' is here - is a sandwich shop owner an entrepreneur? Laundromat operator? ETC.

I'd count anyone with their own business who supports themselves with it or is trying to make it happen.

You don't need to be in a big city to grow a big business.

Definitely not, though if you live in an area where few people live, often your only option for a scalable business is an online business.

That makes sense. If you rely on the big city for your daily living then I'd count it as technically living in a big city.

I live in one of the most densely populated "cities" in the world. My dream has always been to live in a slightly urbanized countryside (but not entirely rural where there's only one hut in the middle of the wilderness because that's scary aka bears etc)

I imagine it has to be a little strange to live in a country where your only option is to live in a different part of the city but never really outside of it.

I think this counts. I voted big city because it’s right next to our little suburban community… and I can see it (high rises) from my home, that close. I consider us all being part of same big city area. That said, our suburban district has retail ;)

I love where we live and don’t consider moving anytime soon.

I wish I could love where I live. I mean, I don't hate it but I don't love it.

I live in a medium city. Spent most of my life in large cities, San Diego and Phoenix.

I'm on the extreme edge. Nothing behind me but unbuildable mountains. Yet, I'm 5 minutes from a major grocery store and my golf course.

Coyote's, bighorn sheep and giant lizards roam the property.

This will be my final resting place.

That sounds really peaceful and like a perfect balance between being by yourself and not being far away from civilization.

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
369%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
I live in a small town of under 25,000.

There's enough amenities here for a family, and there's forests and lakes nearby.

I'm not attached to the town itself. I love it because we have family and friends living here.

Kevin88660

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
118%
Feb 8, 2019
Southeast Asia

It comes a little surprise to me 1M is considered a big city. In Asian cities here, Singapore with 5-6 million is considered a mid size city.

Big cities cultures are more fast paced and material/money driven but not necessarily entrepreneurial.

Hong Kong and Singapore here scored fairly low on entrepreneurial willingness and attitude.

Personally I like big cities culture. I do see the merits of living away from big cities as largely a mean to lower down cost of living.

What is the figure that you can retire in a big city without ever the need to look at the price menu most of the time while shopping or having meals in a restaurant? Probably 3-5 Million in Singapore. One third of that 50km North in Malaysia.

When you are at the situation of having the option to take chips off the table or reinvesting back into your business during uncertain times, it could be mean having the need to take more risk if you have a higher wealth accumulation target.

MTF

Never give up
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
455%
May 1, 2011
I'm not attached to the town itself. I love it because we have family and friends living here.

Same for me. I would most likely permanently leave my country, not just the city, if it weren't for my family. Maybe I would go back for vacation but otherwise I'm not attached.

It comes a little surprise to me 1M is considered a big city. In Asian cities here, Singapore with 5-6 million is considered a mid size city.

I debated adding an option for a very big city (over 5 million people) but ultimately I don't see that big of a difference in lifestyle.

Also, apart from Asia at least both in Europe and the Americas 1 million is a big city as there are few cities over 5, let alone 10 million residents.

Big cities cultures are more fast paced and material/money driven but not necessarily entrepreneurial.

Yeah there's more people working in corporations which to many offer an easier lifestyle than being entrepreneurial.

What is the figure that you can retire in a big city without ever the need to look at the price menu most of the time while shopping or having meals in a restaurant? Probably 3-5 Million in Singapore. One third of that 50km North in Malaysia.

That's a very good point and for me the reason why I don't really get people struggling to survive in big cities if they can make similar money elsewhere and have much lower living costs (and more time and less stress).

Antifragile

Progress not perfection
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
458%
Mar 15, 2018

Ha-ha! We get bears, coyotes, deer, raccoons, skunks … passing by our house. One time I thought it was a raccoon messing up my garbage bin, it was pitch black outside and he was making a lot of noise. I ran out to scare him off, tuned on the lights and realized “shit, that’s a big F*cking bear!”… I almost apologized for startling him and back walked into my house :rofl:

Suburbia next wilderness can be fun.

@MTF

What would it take for you to love where you live?

P.S. good realtor help you find your dream location!

104E2C59-F7C3-451F-BDA4-41F54E8B4738.jpeg

MTF

Never give up
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
455%
May 1, 2011
Ha-ha! We get bears, coyotes, deer, raccoons, skunks … passing by our house. One time I thought it was a raccoon messing up my garbage bin, it was pitch black outside and he was making a lot of noise. I ran out to scare him off, tuned on the lights and realized “shit, that’s a big F*cking bear!”… I almost apologized for startling him and back walked into my house :rofl:

That is crazy. I know that it sounds weird but I wish I lived in a place with so many wild animals (including the potentially dangerous ones). Europe is mostly a wasteland when it comes to biodiversity and wildlife (and I'm saying it as someone who spends a lot of time in "wild" areas and spots way more animals than an average person where I live).

What would it take for you to love where you live?

It would take changing the climate so that it's summer year round lol.

I'm making the most out of where I live but there are a few very important things that I'm missing a lot that can't be found here and can't be "made" to exist here:
  • Warm, sunny weather. It's only really nice here between June and August.
  • Ocean/sea for surfing, freediving, etc. The best I get is a lake for swimming and a river to look at it.
  • Mountains/some diversity in landscape so that hiking is possible. I can only go on walks to a flat forest. I appreciate it a lot (I'm there pretty much every day year round) but I wish I could do some fun hikes with nice views.
Now, like I said, I'm making the most out of where I live and know tons of places most of my friends have never been to. Still, if I lived in a place with hundreds of trails and other stuff I mentioned above, my life would be so much richer.

As it is now, my plan is to split time between my home country and somewhere else for the winter (which I did for the past two years and will possibly do this time between January and April).

Antifragile

Progress not perfection
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
458%
Mar 15, 2018
That is crazy. I know that it sounds weird but I wish I lived in a place with so many wild animals (including the potentially dangerous ones). Europe is mostly a wasteland when it comes to biodiversity and wildlife (and I'm saying it as someone who spends a lot of time in "wild" areas and spots way more animals than an average person where I live).
I know exactly what you are saying. Having lived in Europe for many years, I remember it being as you described.

It would take changing the climate so that it's summer year round lol.

Where I live, climate is moderate but it is technically a rainforest. That means we get A LOT of rain. Missing sun can be very bad during the winter, so many people leave on trips…

I'm making the most out of where I live but there are a few very important things that I'm missing a lot that can't be found here and can't be "made" to exist here:
  • Warm, sunny weather. It's only really nice here between June and August.
  • Ocean/sea for surfing, freediving, etc. The best I get is a lake for swimming and a river to look at it.
  • Mountains/some diversity in landscape so that hiking is possible. I can only go on walks to a flat forest. I appreciate it a lot (I'm there pretty much every day year round) but I wish I could do some fun hikes with nice views.
Now, like I said, I'm making the most out of where I live and know tons of places most of my friends have never been to. Still, if I lived in a place with hundreds of trails and other stuff I mentioned above, my life would be so much richer.

We have forest, ocean, rivers and mountains around us (short driving distance). You could ski and swim on the same day. Which is why a lot of people immigrate (and in-migrate) here.

Which leads me to your thread topic, I do think we have a fair number of entrepreneurs. But not ONLY because of the big city... but also because when there is a big enough city/economy and good climate, it attracts people with wealth (who often are entrepreneurs). That's pure speculation on my part. I could just be surrounded by other entrepreneurs and have a warped notion of who else is living here.

As it is now, my plan is to split time between my home country and somewhere else for the winter (which I did for the past two years and will possibly do this time between January and April).

Kevin88660

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
118%
Feb 8, 2019
Southeast Asia
That's a very good point and for me the reason why I don't really get people struggling to survive in big cities if they can make similar money elsewhere and have much lower living costs (and more time and less stress).
Big cities still have more opportunities for higher paying jobs. This means that despite higher cost of living the saving after necessary expense will be much higher. This also will affect people who switch from business and job on and off as they need the cash to bootstrap their hustles.

For business owners that rely on traditional foot-flow traffic they need to be in a reasonable sized city as well. Fast food and Cafe outlet for instance.

Xeon

All Cars Kneel Before Pagani.
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
191%
Sep 3, 2017
Singapore
I ran out to scare him off, tuned on the lights and realized “shit, that’s a big F*cking bear!”… I almost apologized for startling him and back walked into my house :rofl:

Kak

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
494%
Jan 23, 2011
Texas
I live in an exurb of Houston. It’s usually about an hour to downtown. We have a very nice city like suburb though that’s much closer.

We have everything we need nearby. A lake access and golf course in our neighborhood we plan to keep this place as a bit of a weekend recreation golf/lake house when we buy our acreage and build.

Last edited:

AmazingLarry

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
177%
Jul 4, 2019
Currently live in a small city in CT. I'm currently here because its close to family, especially my baby nieces and nephews. Also nice being close to large cities and airports, but also close enough to mountains of I go a couple hours north.

I lived in a large city in Asia for 2 years and absolutely loved it. So much to do, easy to get around, and the energy was amazing. I loved being in the middle of the action even if I was just staying in and not doing anything. I'm torn because I also really like being in nature and always wanted a secluded house in the mountains.

One of my longer term business goals is to buy a house/apartment in both places and have the flexibility and time to travel between the two whenever I want.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
I loved being in the middle of the action

Action? What action is that?

Specifics please.

I'm not interested in being in "the middle of the action" -- I specifically aim to avoid such things.

Anything where crowds can get unruly I tend to avoid. I can't recall the last time I went to a sporting event or a large concert. Please don't mistake this for "fear" -- it is a simple life decision, the pleasure of watching a live event does NOT exceed the pain of having to deal with massive crowds, traffic, parking, and drunk idiots.

The tragedy in S. Korea is my worst nightmare, and I can't imagine losing a son or daughter who simply went out for the night to have a fun costume party.

AmazingLarry

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
177%
Jul 4, 2019
Action? What action is that?

Specifics please.

I'm not interested in being in "the middle of the action" -- I specifically aim to avoid such things.

Anything where crowds can get unruly I tend to avoid. I can't recall the last time I went to a sporting event or a large concert. Please don't mistake this for "fear" -- it is a simple life decision, the pleasure of watching a live event does NOT exceed the pain of having to deal with massive crowds, traffic, parking, and drunk idiots.

The tragedy in S. Korea is my worst nightmare, and I can't imagine losing a son or daughter who simply went out for the night to have a fun costume party.
By action I don't mean being in crowds or attending crowded events, but being in a location where there's tons of fun things to do close by and there's always something going on.

Specifically, things like having multiple restaurants, a brewery and convenience store all on the first floor of my building. Numerous restaurants and cafes all along my street with people eating and hanging out all hours of the day and night. Having a huge park at the end of my block with badminton courts, people working out, little kids playing, dogs everywhere and old people in aerobics groups.

Being a close walk to board game cafes, escape rooms, arcades, multiple shopping malls, and a baseball stadium. Going to baseball games in SK is 10x better than the United States BTW. No traffic or parking and you can buy a cheap ticket and walk right in with your own food and a cooler of beer. Encounters with selfish drunk assholes is much less common in east Asisa too haha!

I realize this type of living environment isn't appealing to a lot of people, and I was actually surprised with how much I grew to love it. That being said, I don't think I would enjoy living in an American city nearly as much. I still enjoy being away from everything closer to nature and separated a bit from the business. It's definitely peaceful and closer to how people were probably meant to live.

Also, I agree with how you feel about the crowd crushing incident in SK. Absolutely horrific. I have a few good friends who were planning to go that night, but ended up doing something else. Was a little stressful waiting to hear from them that they were OK. I was actually in that area for Halloween two years ago, and it was even too crowded to be enjoyable then, so I left. This year it had way more people because they had just lifted the last of the distancing and mask restrictions so everyone was itching to get out.

Huge fail on the government's part because they knew how many people would be there and failed to implement any crowd control measures. Just shows that your own safety is 100% your responsibility and the importance of situational awareness.

MTF

Never give up
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
455%
May 1, 2011
Each time I'm in a big city I'm so grateful I don't live in one. Depending on the city, it's hell on earth for me anywhere from a few hours after arriving to a couple of days later (my max before I'm really, really tired and can't deal anymore with the traffic, congestion, people, buildings, noises, ugliness, lack of wild nature, etc.).

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.