The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Do you use your environment?

Anything related to matters of the mind

Mr4213

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
153%
May 9, 2016
Do you use your enviroment or does it use you?

Quick trick I picked up.

Analyze your daily habits and processes

Find a common denominator in the process/processes and then use it to your advantage.

Example.

I walk out the same gate each morning to my car. Each time I open the gate I do X.

Each time I get in my car I do X.

Each time I get home I do X.

Each time I see a certain sign I do X.

Find things that you come across daily. Use it to create a habit.

Use the environment to your advantage.

Let the environment "remember" for you.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
447%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Great topic...

I brush my teeth in the shower, besides normal brushing. Hey, the shower is to get clean eh? Why not the teeth too?

And of course, Toilet University, a daily reading...

I've also established a queue for going to sleep, I listen to audiobooks and it puts me to sleep immediately. I've had my sleep tracked and monitored (Fitbit) and it shows I've been having the best sleep in years. Really odd, because I would think having earbuds in all night with someone talking would be very disruptive to sleep.

Mr4213

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
153%
May 9, 2016
Great topic...

I brush my teeth in the shower, besides normal brushing. Hey, the shower is to get clean eh? Why not the teeth too?

And of course, Toilet University, a daily reading...

I've also established a queue for going to sleep, I listen to audiobooks and it puts me to sleep immediately. I've had my sleep tracked and monitored (Fitbit) and it shows I've been having the best sleep in years. Really odd, because I would think having earbuds in all night with someone talking would be very disruptive to sleep.
I really like the idea of brushing teeth in the shower. That's much more efficient and effective. I am going to start incorporating that into my shower process. Thank you!

My shower process is that I start washing my head and gradually move to each part of my body in the same order while asking myself how each part is doing and how can I make it more healthy.

I also created a habit of associating the bathroom with Spanish so if I'm ever at a toilet I'm learning Spanish. As soon as I see a toilet I think "Spanish" which serves as a reminder.

Would you be open to sharing some parts of your process for how you manage the forum?

I'm genuinely curious because you seem to be really good about covering it and replying where appropriate, even though it's grown much larger.

Do you have a process/tips for evaluating large amounts of information in a short time?

Thanks MJ!

Also thank you for the books. I'm living my best life everyday and consistently improving myself. Your books have a lot to do with that.

Mr4213

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
153%
May 9, 2016
I think I'm going to update this thread as I come across more examples from my own life.

Previously I discussed using the environment to "remember" for you.

This time I'm going to provide a different example of using the environment.

In the past I smoked A LOT. I had a vape so it was convenient to smoke and I'd take it everywhere.

I came up with a solution.

I made a rule that I could smoke only if I was holding a specific doorknob.

However, the doorknob was in an awkward spot that I dislike being at.

So every time I'd go to smoke I'd be constantly uncomfortable and this worked to cut my smoking down. I also looked ridiculous to everyone passing by me wondering what the crap I was doing.

It also meant I had to be standing and only had access to one hand (holding the vape) while the other was on the doorknob.

This means I couldn't be comfortable sitting down or playing with my phone while vaping.

Eventually it got to the point of "is smoking this vape really worth all this BS?"

Have a vice? Only allow yourself to do it while you're also doing something you absolutely hate. Or put yourself into an environment you hate while you do it. Eventually the environment will push you out because of your dislike for it.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.