The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Does anyone practice BJJ here? Recently I got a blue belt!

bambz

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
74%
Sep 11, 2021
Hello!

Do you train? Where? How long have you been training?

I am 30 and do a lot of sport in my life. I have been practicing BJJ for 1.5 years. I also did a lot of powerlifting, and a little MMA and Muay Thai. Currently I mix BJJ with light version of powerlifting.

Recently I got a blue belt and now I'm training in NO-GI, because my skill sucks in this formula :D

I gonna get purple belt in next 1,5 years :D

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Attachments

• Zrzut ekranu 2024-01-29 o 14.33.34.png
    Zrzut ekranu 2024-01-29 o 14.33.34.png
    173.5 KB · Views: 13

Timmy C

I Will Not Stop!
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
231%
Jun 12, 2018
Melbourne, Australia
Hello!

I am 30 and do a lot of sport in my life. I have been practicing BJJ for 1.5 years. I also did a lot of powerlifting, and a little MMA and Muay Thai. Currently I mix BJJ with light version of powerlifting.

Recently I got a blue belt and now I'm training in NO-GI, because my skill sucks in this formula :D

Yeh BJJ is awesome, I've been training combat sports on and off for about 6 years.

A little Muay Thai, and MMA, but mainly BJJ.

Going for my purple belt next month.

I'm 33 years old.

DarkKnight

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
156%
Jan 3, 2020
Hello!

If you don't mind, just curious to ask a question.

What's the point of doing BJJ? Is it for staying in shape, better mental health, training to compete, training for self defence, just doing it as a hobby?

bambz

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
74%
Sep 11, 2021
If you don't mind, just curious to ask a question.

What's the point of doing BJJ? Is it for staying in shape, better mental health, training to compete, training for self defence, just doing it as a hobby?
I think all of them.

There are a lot of techniques you can use. In some level the fight is similar to playing chess. You have to predict the opponent's moves.

And well, this is nice feeling when you "pack into a pack and sweep the mat with your opponent" when he is 30 kg heavier ;p

bambz

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
74%
Sep 11, 2021
I actually started doing martial arts about a couple of months ago. I tried BJJ, Muay Thai and Boxing. After getting a knee in my eye socket in a sparring session, I revaluated what I was doing.

After looking at the injuries of people in it for a long type, seeing their lives (no noticeable improvement in terms of quality of life -- same dating life, socio economic status, etc.), I came to the conclusion that in today's day and age, unless you indulge in MMA as a hobby (looking to get nothing out of it), just practicing a few basic moves 10,000 times and taking some pictures is the best ROI you can get with this thing. Nothing justifiable to attain that is in proportion to the amount of time and focus and the risk of injury. I went back to lifting and quit the MMA thing. I miss kicking that heavy bag though. :(

Maybe change my mind? Or maybe we are both chasing something different perhaps?
I understand you. Martial arts imho doesn't improve your life directly. Additionally, MMA, MT, Boxing isn't good idea if someone uses his head (brain) to work. But BJJ is something else. It's 'gentle art'.

I think it is always good for you to feel more confident on the street, because you know that you can beat up someone bigger when threatened.

For me powerlifting and BJJ is the greatest option. I increase my power, improve body appearance and fighting skills 1 vs 1. BJJ is something like meditation after long, hard work day.

SROWE85

Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
209%
Jul 22, 2018
United Kingdom
Hello!

Hey Bambz.

Yep, been training BJJ for about 12-13 years now and train regularly out of two gyms in the South West of England. I've been trained various Martial Arts for the last 25yrs and have taught on and off since I was about 16.

As you've pointed out, it's often referred to as "the gentle art" but that usually refers to the absence of striking. Anyone who has done any Jui Jitsu will know that there isn't much that's gentle about it - you tend to spend most of the time being thrown, crushed or choked or having your joints twisted into unnatural positions. And if that's not happening it's because you are doing the same to someone else. However, i believe a lot of the magic lies in its intensity; you can go full-on every night of the week and nobody tends to get hurt, which allows you to practice close to or even above real tempo. On the contrary, this is notoriously hard to do with the likes of boxing/Muay Thai as the probability of injury at competitive levels is very high.

I, too, am an avid lifter, although i believe that outside of basic compound strength, the symmetrical movements in the gym don't necessarily translate into the tri-planal strength required by Jui Jitsu. I am always envious of the smaller chaps that i train with as they have no choice but to hone their technique to be successful, whilst its easy for lumps like us to muscle our ay out of a corner.

Glad to hear that you are training gi and no-gi. I love them both and am always asked which one is the chicken and which is the egg. I have come to learn that they are completely different games and require very different skillsets. I love No-Gi for its faster pace and lack of room for error. The Gi is a lot more versatile and sometimes a game of patience.

Im sure you have already realised that BJJ, or any martial arts journey for that matter, shares many parallels with business.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Timmy C

I Will Not Stop!
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
231%
Jun 12, 2018
Melbourne, Australia
For me the biggest benefits of BJJ is that it is actually mentally stimulating as well as providing good exercise.

You have to use your brain. Full engage with the training and focus to improve. You are fully present throughout training.

With lifting weights, I have found it boring as hell and an absolute chore. You can go off in the clouds and think about random crap as you don't really need to use your brain much.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.