The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Electronic Music Producer Starting Freelance Work as Side Gig - Any Handy Forum Threads & Thoughts Would Be Great!

Anything considered a "hustle" and not necessarily a CENTS-based Fastlane

Count Fluffernut

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
44%
May 11, 2023
Hello!

Firstly, thank you for taking the time to read the title of my post (let alone this section...)

I used to be a member on here a while back for around three years, happy to be active again.

So, after honing my craft of making music via the computer for the last ten years (yes, its electronically based but it can get damn close to sounding organic) I would like to venture into bringing in a little extra cash from dipping my feet into the lake of freelancing.

I have already signed up for Upwork and so far thinking of niching into meditation music/podcast audio etc, soft-styled with lots of harmonies and pads.

I have some questions/rough notes if that's okay:
- In terms of having a skill as a music producer, is there really a need in todays market from a business sense?
- If you believe there is still a need, what sort of industries, maybe there is a whole new niche that I'm not considering?
- Market research is something I always overthink. How might I go about starting again?
- I do NOT play an instrument, however, have near enough perfected being versatile and able to make organic stuff when required.
- Getting ahead of competition - Would it be too cheeky to call SME's up and ask if they use audio in their marketing etc and enquire further? Not sure who to target or look into first however...
- Last point would be that I am keeping an open mind around this, if it goes tits up then I'll try something else, if it goes well, attempt to scale.

Not expecting any detailed answers but some guidance or to be pointed in the right direction would be a massive help. I won't go into details but I do really need to start making some extra money on the side. I feel like I'm sitting on this skill but struggle to shift from the "musician" brain to the more "business person" brain. THIS is why I am back and on this forum (and to get to know folks of course!)

I previously recall reading LexDeville's post around freelancing and I actually did follow a bunch of his teachings, then I got stuck after not finding too many people looking to hire anyone for the niche I looked into, meditation music.

I do not want to and will not go into this blindly. Ideally, I would like to ask around first and establish where there might be the need for my music, but I've hit a wall now, I feel like music lost a lot of its value over the years and its so cheap to get music now too from a business sense. I don't remember where to even start, what industry to look into.

Once again, thank you for reading this. There's some waffle in there but wanted to give more context.

Please do shout me if I left anything important out for you in order to understand better.

All the best
Count Fluffernut

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

parabolic

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
132%
Aug 7, 2021
Gilbert, AZ
Read Lex's new thread. I can't recall exactly but there was discussion of creating music and sounds as downloadable products.

Last edited:

Oso

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
300%
Jan 18, 2022
Personally, if I had any type of musical inclination at all, I'd probably create custom music/beats and then license them out to people. It's insane how often you hear the same little tune for podcasts, YouTube videos, etc.

And the money can be good, even for something like a 10 second music clip.

Cheers.

Shono

Silver Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
314%
Aug 8, 2021
Do you have a soundcloud or anything? I would love to hear, as I am also a hobbyist music producer. I use ableton, what DAW are you on? Favorite VSTs?

Count Fluffernut

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
44%
May 11, 2023
Do you have a soundcloud or anything? I would love to hear, as I am also a hobbyist music producer. I use ableton, what DAW are you on? Favorite VSTs?
Hi mate, thanks for responding. Cool to meet another musician in here...

Ableton is awesome, send me a message if you like and we chat more? FL guy myself, really enjoying Arturias stuff!

Here's some of my stuff, this is a new brand that I was working on but its on the back burner for now after some personal struggles, working these tracks became too taxing emotionally so yeah, anyways here they are. Despite being snippets some of these are updated and 90% done.

https://soundcloud.com/olsoulmusic%2Fsets%2Fmad-sai-album View: https://soundcloud.com/olsoulmusic/sets/mad-sai-album/s-Tqeoj6PDCFJ?si=0c062e7369bc459ab38dbb692fe88e11&utm_source=clipboard&utm_medium=text&utm_campaign=social_sharing

(For some reason the smaller link is working but bigger one isn't, so yeah, click the smaller link...) haha

Let me know a bit about your music too?

Cheers :)

Last edited:

Count Fluffernut

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
44%
May 11, 2023
Personally, if I had any type of musical inclination at all, I'd probably create custom music/beats and then license them out to people. It's insane how often you hear the same little tune for podcasts, YouTube videos, etc.

Cheers.
Will look into the licensing side of things, thank you.

Nazca

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
96%
May 3, 2023
France

Cheers.

Thanks for this. I'll think about this.
Yeah that's indeed great to meet musicians here. I personally use FL studio as a daw and play beatbox as an instrument. I produce electronic-ish music like hybrid hip-hop, trap and house, but also lo-fi musical and instrumental beats. All of this using beatbox elements.

Lex DeVille

Sweeping Shadows From Dreams
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Jan 14, 2013
Utah
Hello!

Firstly, thank you for taking the time to read the title of my post (let alone this section...)

I used to be a member on here a while back for around three years, happy to be active again.

So, after honing my craft of making music via the computer for the last ten years (yes, its electronically based but it can get damn close to sounding organic) I would like to venture into bringing in a little extra cash from dipping my feet into the lake of freelancing.

I have already signed up for Upwork and so far thinking of niching into meditation music/podcast audio etc, soft-styled with lots of harmonies and pads.

- In terms of having a skill as a music producer, is there really a need in todays market from a business sense?
- If you believe there is still a need, what sort of industries, maybe there is a whole new niche that I'm not considering?
- Market research is something I always overthink. How might I go about starting again?
- I do NOT play an instrument, however, have near enough perfected being versatile and able to make organic stuff when required.
- Getting ahead of competition - Would it be too cheeky to call SME's up and ask if they use audio in their marketing etc and enquire further? Not sure who to target or look into first however...
- Last point would be that I am keeping an open mind around this, if it goes tits up then I'll try something else, if it goes well, attempt to scale.

Not expecting any detailed answers but some guidance or to be pointed in the right direction would be a massive help. I won't go into details but I do really need to start making some extra money on the side. I feel like I'm sitting on this skill but struggle to shift from the "musician" brain to the more "business person" brain. THIS is why I am back and on this forum (and to get to know folks of course!)

I previously recall reading LexDeville's post around freelancing and I actually did follow a bunch of his teachings, then I got stuck after not finding too many people looking to hire anyone for the niche I looked into, meditation music.

I do not want to and will not go into this blindly. Ideally, I would like to ask around first and establish where there might be the need for my music, but I've hit a wall now, I feel like music lost a lot of its value over the years and its so cheap to get music now too from a business sense. I don't remember where to even start, what industry to look into.

Once again, thank you for reading this. There's some waffle in there but wanted to give more context.

Please do shout me if I left anything important out for you in order to understand better.

All the best
Count Fluffernut

Definitely review my recent threads.

You can publish meditation music on Etsy and probably start earning this week.

I've never seen much freelance music work on Upwork.

In my passive digital product thread, I've laid out a step-by-step process that you can use with meditation music or original compositions to create a profitable business.
GOLD! - EXECUTION - How to Create a $2k+/mo Passive Income Website in 30 Days (or Less)

In my music progress thread I've shared a variety of ideas that I'm actively considering:
https://www.thefastlaneforum.com/community/threads/the-art-business-of-music.104408/

Here's a thread I wrote recently with 100+ business ideas in the music industry:

G

GuestUser4aMPs1

Ideally, I would like to ask around first and establish where there might be the need for my music, but I've hit a wall now, I feel like music lost a lot of its value over the years and its so cheap to get music now too from a business sense.
I'd begin by asking "What has to be true for _____ to sell?"

I've struggled a lot with this question in every art-related business model.

Let's take composition for a commercial project as an example.

The answer to that question ultimately comes back to some form of "This will only sell if I am the only person who can provide this particular flavor/style of music OR Brand, AND many people find it extremely valuable."

This is a winner-take-all market. Unless you have created demand, and have monopoly control over that demand, then it's a race to the bottom for everyone else trying to provide a service in that industry (because at the end of the day, a client will ask you to mimic a style of ____ composer, but not pay ____ prices).

I have a similar background and ultimately decided to roll my skills acquired in the studio into building and selling a podcast production company. You can read about it on the inside.

If you decide to provide art as a business, be prepared. It's not just competitive. It's virtually IMPOSSIBLE to 1: Create that Demand out of nothing and 2: Maintain Monopoly Control over it.

Remember, these are the MINIMUM conditions for you to meet to have success in this industry.
For a statistical majority of people in the industry, it's not in their favor. You have been warned.

But, I encourage you to find business cases where it makes sense. I wouldn't be too attached to finding a way to use these skills to make money, but rather look at the industry as a whole and see if there's problems you can solve, needs you can fill, inefficiencies you can make efficient. Then you will be rewarded financially by doing so.

EDIT: Second what @Lex DeVille linked to.

PapaGang

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
256%
Jul 10, 2019
Milwaukee, WI
Hello!

Hey good to see you on the forum again. My son is a small time producer for other groups, like some high school hip hop group, a jazz trio, and he has a small label. He's going to school for sound engineering / audio production. He's 19 and just getting started. He's called himself Feature Presentation

I believe there is an unmet demand for licensing, I read in an industry publication that demand for music production is up and they forecast it to continue. I would also follow @Lex DeVille 's advice.

Also, I think a big niche is music composition for video games. My son has a connection that works at a gaming company and there is potential to make a good living doing that. I also know of a sound artist in my neighborhood that does work for Hollywood films, mostly smaller stuff but he makes a living doing it. It's niche, but if you know how to create connections and leverage value, I think you'll find success.

Have you thought of creating a list of people you can connect with on LinkedIn and ask them how they like working in the industry and telling them your story? Most music people I know are really open to talking about this stuff and sharing connections and resources. It can't hurt.

Count Fluffernut

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
44%
May 11, 2023
Hey good to see you on the forum again. My son is a small time producer for other groups, like some high school hip hop group, a jazz trio, and he has a small label. He's going to school for sound engineering / audio production. He's 19 and just getting started. He's called himself Feature Presentation

I believe there is an unmet demand for licensing, I read in an industry publication that demand for music production is up and they forecast it to continue. I would also follow @Lex DeVille 's advice.

Also, I think a big niche is music composition for video games. My son has a connection that works at a gaming company and there is potential to make a good living doing that. I also know of a sound artist in my neighborhood that does work for Hollywood films, mostly smaller stuff but he makes a living doing it. It's niche, but if you know how to create connections and leverage value, I think you'll find success.

Have you thought of creating a list of people you can connect with on LinkedIn and ask them how they like working in the industry and telling them your story? Most music people I know are really open to talking about this stuff and sharing connections and resources. It can't hurt.
Hi,

Feels good to be back.

Brilliant insights and information, thank you for responding. Listened to your sons music and gave him a follow on Spotify, his track Street Lights is great, it went straight into my playlist.

Video games would certainly be something new. Absolutely no clue where to start there to be honest but its interesting.

You mentioned somebody in your neighbourhood that does some kind of music for film? That is definitely something I'd love to hear more about if you know anymore about what they do, something that definitely peaks my interest is making music for somewhat independent or smaller films. Very keen to make connections also, better in-person over a beer but online is sometimes the only way... Haha.

I have LinkedIn but admittedly it does need updated for sure, thats a good suggestion. Used to have connections in a small house music network but if I were to do this around music for film I would just start again on LinkedIn. Might be a good shout to be honest.

Lastly, I would say that music for film might be a really good idea. After some recent things happening in my own life it has been hard to find that joy from making music for the last few years, as I mature I want the music to mature also, the idea of combining it with film has always fascinated me and I always love watching films with music that matches the moods, themes etc. It's great.

Thank you again, what are your thoughts on the above?

Cheers

PapaGang

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
256%
Jul 10, 2019
Milwaukee, WI
Hi,

Feels good to be back.

Brilliant insights and information, thank you for responding. Listened to your sons music and gave him a follow on Spotify, his track Street Lights is great, it went straight into my playlist.

Video games would certainly be something new. Absolutely no clue where to start there to be honest but its interesting.

You mentioned somebody in your neighbourhood that does some kind of music for film? That is definitely something I'd love to hear more about if you know anymore about what they do, something that definitely peaks my interest is making music for somewhat independent or smaller films. Very keen to make connections also, better in-person over a beer but online is sometimes the only way... Haha.

I have LinkedIn but admittedly it does need updated for sure, thats a good suggestion. Used to have connections in a small house music network but if I were to do this around music for film I would just start again on LinkedIn. Might be a good shout to be honest.

Lastly, I would say that music for film might be a really good idea. After some recent things happening in my own life it has been hard to find that joy from making music for the last few years, as I mature I want the music to mature also, the idea of combining it with film has always fascinated me and I always love watching films with music that matches the moods, themes etc. It's great.

Thank you again, what are your thoughts on the above?

Cheers
Hey thanks, I'll tell my son you like it, he'll be stoked. He's just starting out so he'll be excited.

I believe I can get you the contact info for the gentleman who does sound for film. Also, have you checked out the Vancouver Film School? They have a program for sound design that sounds great. They are well known and have a good connection to Hollywood films, their alum do a lot of Marvel films. I wonder if it would be beneficial to find the faculty list and hit them up on LinkedIn once you update your profile? Again, if your approach is something like "hey I'm pursuing music seriously and would like a couple of minutes to hear what it's like working in the industry, I'd like to learn more to see if this is a good fit for me, and how I can contribute." or something similar, you'd probably get some responses from people.

Best of luck, it seems like a really cool and rewarding thing to do, I'm enjoying my kid's journey.

Count Fluffernut

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
44%
May 11, 2023
Hey thanks, I'll tell my son you like it, he'll be stoked. He's just starting out so he'll be excited.

I believe I can get you the contact info for the gentleman who does sound for film. Also, have you checked out the Vancouver Film School? They have a program for sound design that sounds great. They are well known and have a good connection to Hollywood films, their alum do a lot of Marvel films. I wonder if it would be beneficial to find the faculty list and hit them up on LinkedIn once you update your profile? Again, if your approach is something like "hey I'm pursuing music seriously and would like a couple of minutes to hear what it's like working in the industry, I'd like to learn more to see if this is a good fit for me, and how I can contribute." or something similar, you'd probably get some responses from people.

Best of luck, it seems like a really cool and rewarding thing to do, I'm enjoying my kid's journey.
Great stuff, his sound is really versatile.

I mean of course, if that would be a possibility that would be fantastic, thank you. I would kindly attempt to pick his brains a little bit.

Haven't heard of the Vancouver Film School but on it now, having a look at their website.

Great idea, right so I will restart on LinkedIn and go from there and attempt to build some contacts with folks in that area of the industry.

Again, cheers for helping out.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.