• Forum Upgrades Ongoing: Please pardon the dust. Starting the week of September 16th, the forum will be undergoing style modifications and may not appear as normal. Please be patient as modifications are performed. Updates on the progress can be found here. Thanks for your patience! ~ MJ DeMarco

Ex-Sales Guy Trying to Decide on First Service-Based Biz

Topics related to Slowlane, Scripted mainstream dogma

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Live your best life.

Tired of paying for dead communities hosted by absent gurus who don't have time for you?

Imagine having a multi-millionaire mentor by your side EVERY. SINGLE. DAY. Since 2007, MJ DeMarco has been a cornerstone of Fastlane, actively contributing on over 99% of days—99.92% to be exact! With more than 38,000 game-changing posts, he's dedicated to helping entrepreneurs achieve their freedom. Join a thriving community of over 90,000 members and access a vast library of over 1,000,000 posts from entrepreneurs around the globe.

Forum membership removes this block and all non-sponsor ads.

ChamoBiz

New Contributor
User Power
Post/Like Ratio
250%
Membership Required: Upgrade to Expose Nearly 1,000,000 Posts

Ready to Unleash the Millionaire Entrepreneur in You?

Become a member of the Fastlane Forum, the private community founded by best-selling author and multi-millionaire entrepreneur MJ DeMarco. Since 2007, MJ DeMarco has poured his heart and soul into the Fastlane Forum, helping entrepreneurs achieve reclaim their time, win their financial freedom, and live their best life.

With more than 39,000 posts packed with insights, strategies, and advice, you’re not just a member—you’re stepping into MJ’s inner-circl, a place where you’ll never be left alone.

Become a member and gain immediate access to...

• Active Community: Ever join a community only to find it DEAD? Not at Fastlane! As you can see from our home page, life-changing content is posted dozens of times daily.
  • Exclusive Insights: Direct access to MJ DeMarco’s daily contributions and wisdom.
  • Powerful Networking Opportunities: Connect with a diverse group of successful entrepreneurs who can offer mentorship, collaboration, and opportunities.
  • Proven Strategies: Learn from the best in the business, with actionable advice and strategies that can accelerate your success.

"You are the average of the five people you surround yourself with the most..."

Who are you surrounding yourself with? Surround yourself with millionaire success. Join Fastlane today!

Join Today
Hi Fastlaneforum.

I’ve lurked intermittently throughout the past couple of years, but it's my first posting as a (wannabe) biz owner. Looking for a little help regarding the next steps!

A little bit of background re: my skillset

I last worked at a big-name tech company (one of the big ones) doing lead gen for their enterprise SaaS solution.

Day after day, I'd call top Fortune 500 companies, selling into the C-suite. 20 cold calls, 40 personalized emails. Brutal shit.

Was a middle-of-the-pack performer. Never ended up becoming a closer. Sending emails all day with no human interaction was soul-sucking.

However, in my prior sales job doing the same thing appointment setting into SMBs, I was the top lead gen rep.

Prior to sales, I was a staff writer for a major publication and spent a year in-house doing direct response copy/VSL stuff for an info product coach.

Where I'm at

I quit my job, and decided to relocate to Asia permanently for mental health reasons. I didn't exactly have a massive network regardless in NA so there's not much of a loss.

However I am mentioning this because I don't speak any Asian languages, so serving the APAC market besides Singapore + Australia might be a challenge. I'd still like to service USA but the timezone difference will be a challenge.

I have about 5 months of expenses and need to get to 2k/month ASAP, but also want to tunnel into a skillset where I can sustainably grow long-term.

The problem is, I'm sure I've very much been influenced by the make-money-online noise and would love some clarity and direction from experienced guys on here.

I'll list out the business models I'm looking at doing and the limiting beliefs behind them:​

Copywriting agency for SaaS/Info Product Offer Owners
+ Plus

- I already feel comfortable with the copywriting skillset.
- I love writing. It's fun for me, refining drafts feels relaxing, and the process makes me lose track of time.
- Minus
- Longevity of usefulness seems muddy. Reading several threads on this forum, the overwhelming majority of experienced guys seem to share a similar sentiment: it's one of the worst value levers you can pull, it's not scalable long-term, and AI will kill it off in a handful of years regardless.

- I'm averse to working within the info product space. I've witnessed firsthand how MLM-esque and scummy some of the offers are, often trying to reap disproportionate profit. However, this seems to be the only industry royalty/commission-friendly that could conceivably help you reach multiple $100ks.
- If I try to do landing pages for SaaS clientele, seems ridiculously difficult to get clients off the rip.

Personal Brand Ghostwriting for LinkedIn/Twitter
+ Plus

- Same as copywriting.
- Minus
- Market looks ridiculously saturated on Twitter and LinkedIn. Seems like most people quickly scaling to 10k-30k/month are ghostwriting case studies for scammy info product "make money online" offer owners.

Social Media Marketing Agency
+ Plus
-
Seems sustainable long-term (AI can't handle all the necessary skillsets i.e. Meta ads, copywriting ads scripts, video editing, graphic design, sales... too many moving parts to see AI disruption)
- Minus
- No video editing/graphic design skills (Would have to outsource to Upwork)
- The country I'm in has banned TikTok - can still circumvent this with VPN, but feel like most brands are looking for TikTok on top of meta these days, and IG Reels seems exponentially tougher to crack
- Not passionate about social media the way I would be about writing

Common Issues Across All 3:
-
Fear of AI disruption, and eventual elimination. Worrying too much about starting writing-related stuff because of this.
- Fear of time zone differences creating conflict when meeting with clients (US remains the best English-speaking market to target for clientele).
- Desire to pick a business model based on least necessity to interface with clients on a weekly basis.

Ways I think my limiting beliefs could be challenged:
-
Perception that the time zone difference even matters in the way of scheduling client calls... that clients will help you make it work?
- Perception that AI disruption matters (Counterargument could be that top 10% writers will never be out of business?)
- Perception that copywriting can't be aggressively scalable
- That I'd have to do TikTok if running an SMMA, could just focus on IG/FB and leave it at that
- That I can't find genuinely helpful offers in the info product space to work for.

I realize all 3 businesses will, in the short term, break the commandments of CENTS, this is fine for me. I need to get to 2k/month ASAP to cover living, then 10k/month to replace prior income. Everything from thereon out should be about scaling systems, working on an agency model.

Again, total newb at all this stuff, and much of what I'm writing here probably is naive. I'd highly appreciate any constructive criticism about my thought process!

O metv xuslif ev e coh-peni vidj dunqepz (upi ug vji coh upit) fuoph mief hip gus vjios ipvisqsoti TeeT tumavoup.

Og zua lpux jux vu timm tugvxesi tumavoupt vu catopittit, xjz vg xuamf zua xepv vu tvesv tuni TNNE tjov?

Xjovimecim e tugvxesi tumavoup (us caomf zuas uxp xovj e du-guapfis) epf timm ov vu catopittit.

Zua lpux jux vu fu vjev sohjv? Djidl vji Dunnepfnipvt. Ov djidlt iwisz quopv.

Ofl xjz zua esi nittoph esuapf xovj tuni catopitt ofiet vjev movisemmz epzupi duamf duni aq xovj...

Vji qsucmin ot, O'n tasi O'wi wisz nadj ciip opgmaipdif cz vji neli-nupiz-upmopi puoti.

Ujj pux o lpux xjz...ziej zua esi cav ovt ulez! xi emm ciip vjisi o haitt jeje

Katv muul ev zuas tlommt epf gopf zuas uxp uqqusvapovzt/qsucmint vjev zua dep tumwi gus tuniupi imti xovj ov.

Og zua depv gopf tunivjoph, vjip qodl epz fosidvoup epf sap xovj ov.

O qsunoti zua, zua xomm ipduavis NAMVOQMI qsucmint up vji xez vjev zua dep tumwi civvis.

Juqi vjot jimqt!

Og zua lpux jux vu timm tugvxesi tumavoupt vu catopittit, xjz vg xuamf zua xepv vu tvesv tuni TNNE tjov?

Xjovimecim e tugvxesi tumavoup (us caomf zuas uxp xovj e du-guapfis) epf timm ov vu catopittit.

Zua lpux jux vu fu vjev sohjv? Djidl vji Dunnepfnipvt. Ov djidlt iwisz quopv.

Ofl xjz zua esi nittoph esuapf xovj tuni catopitt ofiet vjev movisemmz epzupi duamf duni aq xovj...

Ujj pux o lpux xjz...ziej zua esi cav ovt ulez! xi emm ciip vjisi o haitt jeje

Katv muul ev zuas tlommt epf gopf zuas uxp uqqusvapovzt/qsucmint vjev zua dep tumwi gus tuniupi imti xovj ov.

Og zua depv gopf tunivjoph, vjip qodl epz fosidvoup epf sap xovj ov.

O qsunoti zua, zua xomm ipduavis NAMVOQMI qsucmint up vji xez vjev zua dep tumwi civvis.

Juqi vjot jimqt!

Jiz vjeplt gus vji siqmz!

O'n tiioph e muv ug nz qsucmin ot nopftiv tvagg sevjis vjep iyidavoup.

O giim moli vszoph vu caomf e TeeT gsun 0-->1 epf qammoph op 2l/nupvj cz Puwincis ot e jigvz vetl.

O emtu fitqoti dumf uavcuapf gsun vji ziest O tqipv fuoph ov epf xuamf qsigis vu noponobi :)

Tu ov tiint moli O'n miepoph up TNNE/Duqzxsovoph cideati mepfoph e duaqmi ug 1l/nupvj dmoipvt xovjop vji vonigseni tiint ipvosimz quttocmi... itqidoemmz howip jux O'n geosmz dupgofipv xovj nz duqzxsovoph tlommtiv.

Zua dep fu duqzxsovoph gus teet catopitt, us duqzxsovoph gus siem itvevi catopitt.

Iwipvaemmz zua dep nuwi exez gsun duqzxsovoph opvu tugvxesi catopitt us siem itvevi xjip zua jewi nusi fsz quxfist.

Catopitt nufim (wemai fimowisz wijodmi) ot upi etqidv ug vji ofie. Vji podji/nesliv zua djuuti ov ev mietv et onqusvepv, et ot zuas qistupem evvovafi, edditt vu deqovem, edditt vu pivxusl, tlommt, evvipvoup vu fiveom, optvopdv, fimihevoup ecomovz, tztvinevoboph ecomovz, iggusv, qistotvipdi, djesotne epf opvimmohipdi.

Vji gusname vjev nelit aq e catopitt ot ugvip dunqmiy epf vjot nelit vji catopitt gsehomi. Og zua dep tannesobi e catopitt ofie op upi tipvipdi vjev ot dunnupmz lpuxp, xjev iyedvmz esi zua oppuwevoph us onqsuwoph? Esi zua qsiqesif vu qowuv epf djephi vji ofie og ov't puv xusloph?

jewi ecuav 5 nupvjt ug iyqiptit epf piif vu hiv vu 2l/nupvj ETEQ

Zuas citv civ ot vu gopf e kuc. O tez vjot xovj emm fai sitqidv. Ov't sesi vu vasp qsugovecmi onnifoevimz, epf nepz catopittit piwis ciduni qsugovecmi (vjiz muti nupiz). Sigmidv up xjz zua jewi katv 5 nupvjt ug sapxez ev 2L/nupvj, og zua qsiwouatmz nefi 10L/nupvj. Jux ot vjot quttocmi? Og zua dep'v nepehi qistupem gopepdit, jux xomm zua nepehi catopitt gopepdit? Vjot ot puv ep ofiem tovaevoup. Ataemmz, vjisi esi tuni aqgsupv iyqiptit epf miespoph dutvt op vji gostv zies ug catopitt. Ugvip 10-50L us nusi.

Xjip zua'si tvsittif epf jewi 5 nupvjt vu neli vjopht jeqqip, zua dep djeppim vji fitqisevoup opvu neloph tuni temit, cav ov't puv vji citv nopftiv muph-visn.

Vjot ot jimqgam - et tuniupi xovj ipvisqsoti temit iyqisoipdi, xi dep ugvip hiv deahjv aq xovj vji vidjpodem etqidvt ug meapdjoph e TeeT us tugvxesi tumavoup, sevjis vjep gudatoph up xjev xi lpux citv, temit!

Puv tasi xjisi vjot monovoph cimoig dunit gsun, us og ov't katv e duptiraipdi ug emxezt tiioph vidjpodem guapfist qatjif vu vji neop tvehi, cav gus tasi ov't e joffip efwepvehi vu ci ecmi vu dsepl uav vji temit epf caomf e tztvin up vuq ug iyotvoph tumavoupt.

Og fupi sohjv, O'n tasi ov dep iyqifovi vji qevj vu tadditt.

Membership Required: Upgrade to Expose Nearly 1,000,000 Posts

Ready to Unleash the Millionaire Entrepreneur in You?

Become a member of the Fastlane Forum, the private community founded by best-selling author and multi-millionaire entrepreneur MJ DeMarco. Since 2007, MJ DeMarco has poured his heart and soul into the Fastlane Forum, helping entrepreneurs achieve reclaim their time, win their financial freedom, and live their best life.

With more than 39,000 posts packed with insights, strategies, and advice, you’re not just a member—you’re stepping into MJ’s inner-circl, a place where you’ll never be left alone.

Become a member and gain immediate access to...

• Active Community: Ever join a community only to find it DEAD? Not at Fastlane! As you can see from our home page, life-changing content is posted dozens of times daily.
  • Exclusive Insights: Direct access to MJ DeMarco’s daily contributions and wisdom.
  • Powerful Networking Opportunities: Connect with a diverse group of successful entrepreneurs who can offer mentorship, collaboration, and opportunities.
  • Proven Strategies: Learn from the best in the business, with actionable advice and strategies that can accelerate your success.

"You are the average of the five people you surround yourself with the most..."

Who are you surrounding yourself with? Surround yourself with millionaire success. Join Fastlane today!

Join Today
Back