The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

fitness community

Longinus

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
441%
Aug 28, 2014
Poland / Belgium
I've read many topics on this forum, but didn't found much about creating an online community.

I have this idea:
To make a community where members can track their pictures, weight, records and everything. Ok, this already exists with Bodyspace of Bodybuilding.com, but I want it more advanced. My idea was to focus more on the supplements and schemes and food they take. Members can rate the progress of each other and the supplements get some points by each rate => so the better rates, the more points a supplement gets. That way you can see which supplement is the best!

To gain income, I would link to an external webshop where the products can be bought.

What do you think of this idea ?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

AubreyJ

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
229%
Mar 26, 2014
Plano, TX
Your idea sounds very similar to bodybuilding.com- the only difference I can think of is rating the progress of one another. But aside from bodybuilding.com, there are TONS of sites and apps very similar to this. My Fitness Pal, Lose it, Nike +, My Diet Coach App...etc. These are just a few I thought of off the top of my head, but there are tons.

The problem with an online fitness community is that the fitness industry is a very saturated industry and so to break into that niche and become successful is something that is going to be extremely difficult

Longinus

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
441%
Aug 28, 2014
Poland / Belgium
I agree. The real need I want to cover is that there are so many supplements and schemes and methods and everything. That's why I want people to rate each other, so the best supplements/schemes get the best results, get it?

marklov

It is a Tiger That Devours Me but I am The Tiger
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
168%
Mar 30, 2014
sounds like my fitness pal

however its not who did it first but who did it best.

GL

Longinus

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
441%
Aug 28, 2014
Poland / Belgium
It's myfitnesspal, bodyspace and supplementreviews.com in one.
Why should it be better? You can see which supplements and schemes really do make a difference and are better than others.
Question is, is it a good idea ?

MoneyDoc

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
273%
Jun 24, 2014
I was also looking to get into this market.

I'm still holding onto my domain: mygympartner.com

I am now actually thinking of developing it into a fitness dating site or just a gym partner search site.

Sorry for hijacking your thread.

ChasingPaper

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
181%
May 7, 2014
I was also looking to get into this market.

I'm still holding onto my domain: mygympartner.com

I am now actually thinking of developing it into a fitness dating site or just a gym partner search site.

Sorry for hijacking your thread.
Go for a gym partner search site...mygympartner.com does not sound like a fitness dating site to me, sounds like a site to find a gym partner.

Gale4rc

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
107%
Sep 23, 2013
The only way to know if your idea is good enough to work or not is to build it. If everyone thought like these guys then there wouldn't be Facebook because there was already myspace/friendster/etc

ChasingPaper

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
181%
May 7, 2014
But they did something different in their sites that MySpace and all the other didn't have. He's trying to do something that's been made over and over millions of times.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gale4rc

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
107%
Sep 23, 2013
But they did something different in their sites that MySpace and all the other didn't have. He's trying to do something that's been made over and over millions of times.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
he wants to focus on more of the supplements and results from them rather than just calorie counting communities like everyone listed here.... And much like the advice I see someone always chiming in "just do it better than the competition" ... Doesn't apply here for some reason?

ChasingPaper

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
181%
May 7, 2014
he wants to focus on more of the supplements and results from them rather than just calorie counting communities like everyone listed here.... And much like the advice I see someone always chiming in "just do it better than the competition" ... Doesn't apply here for some reason?
I guess i'm just not getting the concept. Bodybuilding.com has supplement reviews and such so people can see how much they work. They are the leading website in the industry, it has profiles, you can put what supplements you take, and it has a great forum with tons of traffic. I don't see what he's trying to do new that bodybuilding.com does not offer...

Longinus

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
441%
Aug 28, 2014
Poland / Belgium
I guess i'm just not getting the concept. Bodybuilding.com has supplement reviews and such so people can see how much they work. They are the leading website in the industry, it has profiles, you can put what supplements you take, and it has a great forum with tons of traffic. I don't see what he's trying to do new that bodybuilding.com does not offer...
In a nutshell: find the best supplements without reading tons of reviews.

Longinus

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
441%
Aug 28, 2014
Poland / Belgium
But bodybuilding.com already has that...you look at the stars and see how many it has out of 5.
That's rated directly by the users. My idea would be different because the rates would be indirect (progress photos get rates => those ratings go to supplements used), and therefore incognito. Gives better chances to lesser known products. And it could easily be subdivided in categories: cut, bulk, women bikini etc.

Gymjunkie

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
50%
Jun 17, 2009
It's myfitnesspal, bodyspace and supplementreviews.com in one.
Why should it be better? You can see which supplements and schemes really do make a difference and are better than others.
Question is, is it a good idea ?

What works for one person doesn't work for other one. You would just encourage broscience and anecdotal advice. Maybe start a different, niched down community, for certain group of people going to the gym and trying to reach some goal. Like let's say group of wrestlers or powerlifters or discuss throwers etc. That's the type of community that is valuable, gives people who have same goals and struggles ability to support each other etc.

Gale4rc

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
107%
Sep 23, 2013
Either way whatever your concept is - Imagine explaining Facebook on this forum when myspace is out? It literally did almost nothing different rather than exclusivity... People would be saying the same thing they're saying in this thread and/or worse... Especially because of Facebooks original design was completely horrible.

No one can accurately 'guess' if this is idea would actually take off until it's built.

ChasingPaper

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
181%
May 7, 2014
Either way whatever your concept is - Imagine explaining Facebook on this forum when myspace is out? It literally did almost nothing different rather than exclusivity... People would be saying the same thing they're saying in this thread and/or worse... Especially because of Facebooks original design was completely horrible.

No one can accurately 'guess' if this is idea would actually take off until it's built.
Facebook did things much different than MySpace...I'm just trying to save the guy from wasting his time. I hope he proves me wrong...

johnp

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
158%
Aug 29, 2011
Philly
I've read many topics on this forum, but didn't found much about creating an online community.

I'm in an oversaturated market and I have no problem driving a ton cheap traffic and getting signups. The thing that I have the most trouble with from a community standpoint is getting people to pay and be social within the community itself. I offer a number of paid services that go outside the realm of the community, in-order to hedge against the lack of the whole networking effect thing..At the end of the day a lot of it comes down to getting traffic, your CPAs, and your other metrics.

healthstatus

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
147%
Apr 11, 2011
Indianapolis, IN USA
That's rated directly by the users. My idea would be different because the rates would be indirect (progress photos get rates => those ratings go to supplements used), and therefore incognito. Gives better chances to lesser known products. And it could easily be subdivided in categories: cut, bulk, women bikini etc.
Think about that for a second. How many users, pictures, supplements and ratings do you have to have for your ranking numbers to start working? Is time a factor in your algorithm?
Where do the users all come from? What will the users get while they wait for the ratings to develop? You have to answer those two questions first.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.