The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Going to school for a trade vs. marketing

Sleepless

New Contributor
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
73%
Feb 9, 2022
Since I'm young (20) with little knowledge and no slowlane to pivot from, I was thinking it might be a good idea to get some skills under my belt. I could stock shelves until I make something work for me on the side but that might not be wise. Where I live tuition is free, and there are these 2-year programs that are designed to get you out onto the job market quicker than a 3-5 year university degree would. They also have internships woven into the programs. I've been looking at professions like electrician, maintenance technician, elevator fitter as well as professions related to IT and security. I also looked into the marketing options they offer and they actually look sort of promising. I found one centered entirely around e-commerce, which inherently must be more modern than the "university professor is trying to convince the class that newspaper ads and roadside billboards are still the top marketing channels" stories you hear from some marketing students (exaggerating a little bit... I hope).

There are tons of books to read on marketing so going to school for it might be a waste of time and money. Though it seems like learning a trade or landing a marketing job can both be valuable when you're starting out with absolutely nothing and try to go fastlane.

Of course, I'm not asking you to make the decision for me. I'm just grateful for any thoughts you have.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

qaerst

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
155%
Jul 13, 2017
Antarctica
The most important part is that your business model makes CENTS

I kind of was in the same boat , stuck on what kind of business I would like to run.
With an option of breaking into tech / e-commerce (what I like to do in my free time)
or petrochemical engineering. (sector I work in )

At the start I told myself I wanted to go into tech because of the absurdly high profit margins I've been hearing.
Who doesn't want to net 80-90% ? Right? Wrong.
I was so wrong. The competition was so fierce and I got decimated on the marketplace. (Sales plunged)
Being sucked into chasing a dream that just didn't work out, which is OK.
So after some self-reflection I've learned a couple of things about myself: I suck at sales, and I'm just an average dev.
I've learned from my mistakes with failing businesses and all I can say is.

Pick one thing: a service or a product in a specific niche of a niche and double down on it.

Example:

So one day I've talked with a local business owner that does a similar job as me.
He fixes , services and places centrifugal pumps for chemical companies and also wholesales them.
He has 2 employees (3 during the busy season) and nets around 900k / year.
(Bills his workers at 100 euro / hour + adds material cost with a 20% margin + misc.)
The thing that really surprised me is just how much free time he had!
His only complaint was how long it sometimes took for these companies to pay him 30-60 days.

You'd be surprised with just how much money you could make with a specific , underserved service.

YoungPadawan

Miles to go before I sleep
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
280%
Nov 7, 2015
I agree with going for a trade skill. I feel like trades are super underrated, in high demand and the competition is pretty weak compared to marketing/white collar jobs where competition is fierce and there are many people fighting for only a few jobs. Just pick a trade where you could eventually turn it into your own business and hire people to do the work for you eventually.

You could learn marketing on your own by reading books like Ca$hvertising and similar books.

qaerst

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
155%
Jul 13, 2017
Antarctica
I agree with going for a trade skill. I feel like trades are super underrated, in high demand and the competition is pretty weak compared to marketing/white collar jobs where competition is fierce and there are many people fighting for only a few jobs. Just pick a trade where you could eventually turn it into your own business and hire people to do the work for you eventually.

You could learn marketing on your own by reading books like Ca$hvertising and similar books.
+1

OP , Find a trade that has demand in your local area and use your marketing skills you would have applied to these "flashy" e-commerce / web businesses to your own local business.

Best of both worlds.

WJK

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
257%
Oct 9, 2017
Alaska
Since I'm young (20) with little knowledge and no slowlane to pivot from, I was thinking it might be a good idea to get some skills under my belt. I could stock shelves until I make something work for me on the side but that might not be wise. Where I live tuition is free, and there are these 2-year programs that are designed to get you out onto the job market quicker than a 3-5 year university degree would. They also have internships woven into the programs. I've been looking at professions like electrician, maintenance technician, elevator fitter as well as professions related to IT and security. I also looked into the marketing options they offer and they actually look sort of promising. I found one centered entirely around e-commerce, which inherently must be more modern than the "university professor is trying to convince the class that newspaper ads and roadside billboards are still the top marketing channels" stories you hear from some marketing students (exaggerating a little bit... I hope).

There are tons of books to read on marketing so going to school for it might be a waste of time and money. Though it seems like learning a trade or landing a marketing job can both be valuable when you're starting out with absolutely nothing and try to go fastlane.

Of course, I'm not asking you to make the decision for me. I'm just grateful for any thoughts you have.
The trades are in great demand. You ALWAYS need a backup plan for when the world falls apart. And it will at different times over your lifetime. A backup plan is something where you can always make money to feed and house yourself. Also, working with your hands gives you a different perspective on life. YES, YES, YES! Get the skills.

That might end up being your business path as well. My crew is amazed when I jump in to do some finished carpentry work. I know I'm just a woman, but I sure know how to use my chop saw, my nail gun, and my tape measure!

G

Guest-5ty5s4

Normally I'd say trades, but I realize that trade and service-based businesses aren't everyone's cup of tea.

If you are considering marketing, have you considered skipping school and instead getting a job at a marketing firm? Or even a local newspaper?

You'd probably learn more about marketing, advertising, and business that way, and you'd skip 4 years of homework and tests, as well as skip spending your parents' money OR taking on student loan debt.

4 years of income and savings while you get paid to learn... do the marketing or advertising job, live at home for awhile, and then when you're 23 and all your peers are graduating, you should have saved up (through jobs and investments) at least low six figures.

edit: just reread and saw you're 20. Ok, you might not accumulate $100,000+ depending on the gig (since you aren't starting at 18), but you get the idea.

Sleepless

New Contributor
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
73%
Feb 9, 2022

+1

OP , Find a trade that has demand in your local area and use your marketing skills you would have applied to these "flashy" e-commerce / web businesses to your own local business.

Best of both worlds.
Thanks a lot for your input! I actually started out looking at marketing-related job listings in just my city and there are a ton, which surprised me. I don't live in the U.S so that might be why the competition/demand is skewed. But it's true - you can turn a trade into the basis of your business and probably be more unique than the sea of digital marketing agencies and whatnot that exist online and locally. 900K/year with a few employees is super impressive and a great example of getting rewarded for serving the underserved. I'm not sure what kind of trade would be a good pick in terms of options to niche down (which I will have to find out for myself), but right now I'm looking something along the lines of light current/security/locksmith as that's a sector that will only continue to grow in the future.

Sleepless

New Contributor
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
73%
Feb 9, 2022
The trades are in great demand. You ALWAYS need a backup plan for when the world falls apart. And it will at different times over your lifetime. A backup plan is something where you can always make money to feed and house yourself. Also, working with your hands gives you a different perspective on life. YES, YES, YES! Get the skills.

That might end up being your business path as well. My crew is amazed when I jump in to do some finished carpentry work. I know I'm just a woman, but I sure know how to use my chop saw, my nail gun, and my tape measure!
You make a great case for anybody to consider trades, that's for sure haha. Working on any business typically entails a lot of desk/computer work so the change of pace in working with your hands is a definite plus. Most trades being male-dominated is a bit daunting to be honest, but as long as I'm skilled at what I do I'm hoping gender won't matter too much. Keep rocking with the tape measure! :)

WJK

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
257%
Oct 9, 2017
Alaska
Thanks a lot for your input! I actually started out looking at marketing-related job listings in just my city and there are a ton, which surprised me. I don't live in the U.S so that might be why the competition/demand is skewed. But it's true - you can turn a trade into the basis of your business and probably be more unique than the sea of digital marketing agencies and whatnot that exist online and locally. 900K/year with a few employees is super impressive and a great example of getting rewarded for serving the underserved. I'm not sure what kind of trade would be a good pick in terms of options to niche down (which I will have to find out for myself), but right now I'm looking something along the lines of light current/security/locksmith as that's a sector that will only continue to grow in the future.
There is a guy in my town who has turned the trade of being a plumber into a gold mine. He has a big crew of plumbers and he has his plumbing store. He also has a franchise for a water treatment system, so he has a staff for that too. There's an apartment above his store where he used to live. His shops and equipment yard is next door. He doesn't do any advertising that I know of. He doesn't have to.

I like your idea of being a locksmith, but that idea is a lot more limiting unless you sell security systems, safes, and such. You should find a business that has other associated opportunities.

Sleepless

New Contributor
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
73%
Feb 9, 2022
Normally I'd say trades, but I realize that trade and service-based businesses aren't everyone's cup of tea.

If you are considering marketing, have you considered skipping school and instead getting a job at a marketing firm? Or even a local newspaper?

You'd probably learn more about marketing, advertising, and business that way, and you'd skip 4 years of homework and tests, as well as skip spending your parents' money OR taking on student loan debt.

4 years of income and savings while you get paid to learn... do the marketing or advertising job, live at home for awhile, and then when you're 23 and all your peers are graduating, you should have saved up (through jobs and investments) at least low six figures.

edit: just reread and saw you're 20. Ok, you might not accumulate $100,000+ depending on the gig (since you aren't starting at 18), but you get the idea.
I never know how seriously to take job entry requirements, but it doesn't look like I could get many of the marketing jobs with no prior education/experience. There are a lot of listings for internships but they are all unpaid, so while I could be racking up a lot of valuable experience I don't think I'd come close to your financially glorious plan haha. Maybe I just have to look a little harder though. I don't think a 1,5-2 year trade or marketing program is too bad of a deal (especially when it's free) and I could start working immediately. Anyhow, thank you for placing the thought in my mind!

WJK

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
257%
Oct 9, 2017
Alaska
You make a great case for anybody to consider trades, that's for sure haha. Working on any business typically entails a lot of desk/computer work so the change of pace in working with your hands is a definite plus. Most trades being male-dominated is a bit daunting to be honest, but as long as I'm skilled at what I do I'm hoping gender won't matter too much. Keep rocking with the tape measure! :)
Funny story... The Home Depot had the guys from the nail gun company come in a while back. They offered to service and clean the nail guns for free -- so I took in my 3 nail guns to take advantage of their offer. When I showed up, the guys said, "So, you've brought in your husband's nail guns?" I just laughed and asked him if he knew where he was. I reminded him that he was in rural Alaska and explained to him that all three guns were mine. His eyes got pretty wide as he looked me up and down. I guess he's not used to an older woman, dressed in her overalls, who owns all 3 sizes of nail guns that they sell. He didn't know whether to take me seriously or not. By the time I left, he realized that I was the real deal. Girls can do it too.

G

Guest-5ty5s4

I never know how seriously to take job entry requirements, but it doesn't look like I could get many of the marketing jobs with no prior education/experience. There are a lot of listings for internships but they are all unpaid, so while I could be racking up a lot of valuable experience I don't think I'd come close to your financially glorious plan haha. Maybe I just have to look a little harder though. I don't think a 1,5-2 year trade or marketing program is too bad of a deal (especially when it's free) and I could start working immediately. Anyhow, thank you for placing the thought in my mind!
Local newspaper. Non-fancy job. Skip "internships." Be willing to cold call, design ads, whatever they need done.

Don't apply to big companies... The undervalued opportunities will look unappealing to the average person

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
369%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
Loads more people search for plumbers on Google than for electricians. Might be worth checking the other trades too.

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
369%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
I dread to think what they teach on marketing courses.

Anyway, a marketing degree or cert will likely help you get a marketing job in an agency or end-client. There you can get skills and experience and either do the career thing, or pick up your own clients.

As others have said, you can skip that and get paid to learn digital marketing by any number of local businesses.

If you were my son or nephew I’d ask you to consider getting a trade during those two years of free education, and pick up marketing in your own time.

Trade + Marketing + Business Sense = Unstoppable

Prince33

Bronze Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
156%
Jun 9, 2020
Latvia
Trades: On your feet and wearing down cartilage on your knees. Dont make real money till 2-4 years in at least. And arent starting a business in it till at least 4-6 years after that.
So if you start today you wont be making real money till minimum minimum 2024. If not 2026. Then wont have the skills, experience and money to start your own business till around 2031 most likely.

Then even when thats a thing you gotta manage people, trucks, equipment etc.
And worst of all its based in one geo location.

If you wanna pop over to Australia in June then hit Japan in August you can't.

That alone makes trades a no for me. Not digital/geo-locked.
Unless you run it remotely.

Now marketing.. remote roles now for that. Learn some CRM software, stack the skills, get a entry level job.. can get into that industry in a year and work remote. More my style.

Also my knowledge of trades is very juvenile. So take what I say with a grain of salt. But from my research you gotta become a apprentice and all that first before becoming a journeyman. And thats minimum 1-2 years and a journeyman isnt typically making six figs.

But its a great debt free option.

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
369%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
Trades: On your feet and wearing down cartilage on your knees. Dont make real money till 2-4 years in at least. And arent starting a business in it till at least 4-6 years after that.
So if you start today you wont be making real money till minimum minimum 2024. If not 2026. Then wont have the skills, experience and money to start your own business till around 2031 most likely.

Then even when thats a thing you gotta manage people, trucks, equipment etc.
And worst of all its based in one geo location.

If you wanna pop over to Australia in June then hit Japan in August you can't.

That alone makes trades a no for me. Not digital/geo-locked.
Unless you run it remotely.

Now marketing.. remote roles now for that. Learn some CRM software, stack the skills, get a entry level job.. can get into that industry in a year and work remote. More my style.

Also my knowledge of trades is very juvenile. So take what I say with a grain of salt. But from my research you gotta become a apprentice and all that first before becoming a journeyman. And thats minimum 1-2 years and a journeyman isnt typically making six figs.

But its a great debt free option.
I’m coming round to this way of thinking. Spoke to a carpenter/joiner a couple of weeks ago. He didn’t recommend the trades for his stepson.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.